Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Most people have enough fat reserves to go several days or even weeks without food, so if you ask me, it's time to start seriously thinking about closing down supermarkets and eateries completely to drive cases down as much as possible.

The lack of food-buying for several weeks would allow the government to substantially reduce the Pandemic Unemployment Payment and these extra funds could then be redirected towards the HSE. It would also very quickly solve the obesity epidemic and reduce its role as a comorbidity.

That’s a novel strategy. Should we start with withdrawing potatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chicke

Cant believe rhat over a million people dead since the beginning of this year as a result of this virus.Without the restrictions/lockdowns it is frightening to think of how much bigger a number that would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

khalessi wrote: »
    Think the clothes one is a bit daft, needed leggings for one of the kids went in today to get food shop and leggings no joy. will just have to squash into old ones but they dont fit.

In particular children’s shoes should be deemed as essential. I feel they are essential particularly for children at the stage where they are growing at a fast rate eg age 1-5 years. They can go up a size in the space of a few weeks. It’s one thing them wearing clothes too small but wearing shoes too small can be harmful to feet .

I’m surprised that certain clothing eg coats and shoes haven’t been deemed as essential this time around. It can be argued they can be bought on line but it’s important shoes are tried on to check size fits. It really is bizarre. It seems some retail shops have had enough and are offering click and collect as opposed to closing down completely. The shops that are on street entrances as opposed to shopping centres can hopefully do this.

I thought the reason we opened up so slow was to determine the “safe services” that didn’t cause increase in cases. I don’t understand why retail has been closed this time around. Perhaps they are trying to keep people from leaving their areas? It doesn’t make sense as to why we opened up so slow and not use the experience and data. Retailers overall did a fantastic job from what I saw. Same as barbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Chicke wrote: »
    Cant believe rhat over a million people dead since the beginning of this year as a result of this virus.Without the restrictions/lockdowns it is frightening to think of how much bigger a number that would have been.

Has there been any estimates to what it would have been without the restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

GT89 wrote: »
    Not the point. Booze is not essential, clothes are. If you argue clothes are not essential then you could also argue food is non essential too.

I agree that clothes are essential.

But they'll never, ever stop off-license sales. Ireland is estimated to have just over 2% of the population dependent on alcohol. With a ROI population of 5 million, you're looking at approx 100,000 desperate people descending on GPs and hospitals all over the country with acute withdrawal, seizures and DTs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

[QUOTE=hmmm;115056593]I don't want to sound like a politician, but I have great faith in Irish people to do the right thing if it is communicated properly to them. I think families will meet up over Christmas, but it might not be at the same table as their grandparents, and definitely won't be in pubs.

It's time to start communicating a message that at Christmas this year we will need to be careful, and it can't be like previous years.

There's also a message about ventilation and the safety of indoors vs outdoors which for some reason is not being communicated by our public health people.[/QUOTE]

They stressed that meeting family outdoors was allowed but not indoors.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Can't see how the PPE and hand sanitizer can be blamed on him under any sort of logical argument.

scapegoat syndrome :rolleyes:

aziz wrote: »
    All these countries had it bad first time around but came out of restrictions a lot faster than we did,

which is why they are in this mess now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Teflon Tony strongly advises against unnecessary travel and says we should only go outside for exercise within 5km from home.

.. And late late show appearances.....

Proactive fine. But with some logical approach/explanation of the various closures. Nobody in Govt. has ever said that general retail is an issue, yet they are closed. Nphet forecasts cases to get back down to manageable levels in a few weeks (hopefully) but this can happen with a lot of "essential" retail open.

I'd have liked if they had tried some things out over the last couple of months and seen which restrictions have biggest impact.

For now, I'm convinced it's large numbers in confined spaces (i.e. younger people mainly) bringing it back to their houses and families. Not getting a product in non essential retail.

Logical; if the shops are all open then many more people will be out and mingling, which is dangerous for infection< If eg clothes shops etc are closed then people will stay home. Any environment where people are in confined spaces together carries a high infection risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d imagine the reason alcohol is allowed to be sold is on health grounds... but also the government won’t want to be without the revenue. They could just ban cigarettes too...if that was the case.

I'd say the hospitals would fill up quicker than ever if alcohol was banned with people from every walk of life suffering from withdrawals. There's plenty of highly functional alcoholics in our country but that's all dependent on them still getting to the supp.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We could have been more proactive had our government heeded the advice a couple of weeks ago.

That hesitancy must have led to bad health outcomes for some people, yet the economic cost is the same.

Numbers were still going down and stabilising. As soon as numbers rose they acted swiftly and effectively

All perfectly correct.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Most scripts, especially those issued under a medical card are held in the pharmacy for repeat prescriptions.

Still have to request it be released to prevent abuse. And the Gardaí can check with the pharmacy..

marno21 wrote: »
    Can you still get bedclothes in Dunnes and Tesco?

Being cocooned I just ordered bedclothes online... Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

France enters a nightmare, Italy not far behind.

ElPNw5cXUAMCJEq?format=jpg&name=small

In Ireland, we need to keep on our current course which is the correct one. Countries in Europe now have serious decisions to make that we too would have to make but for the actions taken here proactively.

The price is not paid today across the continent - it's paid in two weeks time in overwhelmed hospitals and increased deaths and also severe restrictions on people's lives.

We are in a far better place thankfully even though we should have taken action earlier. But that's spilt milk...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

If we didn't have so many multinationals we would never be able to do what we're doing.

I still don't know how we're going to afford it but having an inflated tax take helps more than people know. 12.5 billion estimated corporate tax receipts this year in a pandemic. **** your apple tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Wife was saying that she heard of someone had a 21st party in a dublin house saturday night,

Guards arrived at i they told owner of the house they be getting a fine in the post and left
    Party continued on for rest of the night no attempt to shut it down

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

vickers209 wrote: »
    Wife was saying that she heard of someone had a 21st party in a dublin house saturday night,

Guards arrived at i they told owner of the house they be getting a fine in the post and left
    Party continued on for rest of the night no attempt to shut it down

They'll reconsider their moral compass when they see the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

They'll reconsider their moral compass when they see the bill.

Don't know about that. 50 people say at a party. Everyone throws 20 quid in the kitty on the way in to offset potential fines. Etcetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tribunal into the Cervical Check scandal to start shortly, should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

What the hell is going on in Melbourne ? no new cases, no new deaths yet restrictions still in place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

France enters a nightmare, Italy not far behind.

ElPNw5cXUAMCJEq?format=jpg&name=small

In Ireland, we need to keep on our current course which is the correct one. Countries in Europe now have serious decisions to make that we too would have to make but for the actions taken here proactively.

The price is not paid today across the continent - it's paid in two weeks time in overwhelmed hospitals and increased deaths and also severe restrictions on people's lives.

We are in a far better place thankfully even though we should have taken action earlier. But that's spilt milk...

Let's see in 2 weeks so ....

Quit your scaremongering, these are case numbers, the vast majority of these people will barely feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Gael23 wrote: »
    Tribunal into the Cervical Check scandal to start shortly, should be interesting

Interesting to see the mob who couldn’t tell you the first thing about that scandal, and cared not a whit, use it as a stick with which to beat Tony Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,405 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Quit your "scaremongering", these are case numbers, the vast majority of these people will barely feel it.

Do some genuinely think 'scaremongering' is a new word for facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    In particular children’s shoes should be deemed as essential. I feel they are essential particularly for children at the stage where they are growing at a fast rate eg age 1-5 years. They can go up a size in the space of a few weeks. It’s one thing them wearing clothes too small but wearing shoes too small can be harmful to feet .

I’m surprised that certain clothing eg coats and shoes haven’t been deemed as essential this time around. It can be argued they can be bought on line but it’s important shoes are tried on to check size fits. It really is bizarre. It seems some retail shops have had enough and are offering click and collect as opposed to closing down completely. The shops that are on street entrances as opposed to shopping centres can hopefully do this.

I thought the reason we opened up so slow was to determine the “safe services” that didn’t cause increase in cases. I don’t understand why retail has been closed this time around. Perhaps they are trying to keep people from leaving their areas? It doesn’t make sense as to why we opened up so slow and not use the experience and data. Retailers overall did a fantastic job from what I saw. Same as barbers etc.

I absolutely think shoe shops should be open . My grandchild is just about starting to walk . She will need to be measured and fitted for shoes very soon . That cannot be done online

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

What the hell is going on in Melbourne ? no new cases, no new deaths yet restrictions still in place ?

And we thought Australia was the go to place with a much better health system than Ireland :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Interesting to see the mob who couldn’t tell you the first thing about that scandal, and cared not a whit, use it as a stick with which to beat Tony Holohan.

Regardless of your feelings towards “the mob” heads needs to roll over that disgraceful situation. Time will tell whose heads roll, but those women and indeed the women of Ireland deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Quit your scaremongering, these are case numbers, the vast majority of these people will barely feel it.
    What is the threshold for deaths that you would feel warrants concern? Ballpark figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

"Silent majority" backs lockdown - Business Post

A "silent majority" of the population backs strict level 5 restrictions and the use of fines to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the latest Business Post/Red C poll shows.

Some 66 percent of people support the move to lock down the country, with just 18 percent opposed. An equal number backs the use of fines...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,405 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

screamer wrote: »
    Regardless of your feelings towards “the mob” heads needs to roll over that disgraceful situation. Time will tell whose heads roll, but those women and indeed the women of Ireland deserve better.

They possible deserve their own thread on the matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement