Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

liamog wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough if they closed off Ordnance Survey Road between the OS entrance and the 4 way junction with Knockmaroon Rd, Furze Rd and Upper Glen

I see that this more or less what is being proposed. Knockmaroon gate will allow access to the car park only and the whole of that west side of the park will be blocked to through traffic by way of bollards on the upper glen road.Traffic coming in from the Chapelizod side will be able to get through the park but only on acres road.

Seems like a good plan to me. Allows a way through the park for motorists needing to get across from Ballyfermot and Chapelizod to Castlenock, but will free up the furry glen side for cyclists and recreational users

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What was circulated and described above was only a preferred option, its far from decided yet. There are something like 12 options in the current online public consultation, its worth a look.

But at the end of the day, the input of Garda Traffic and the adjoining Councils will very much influence the final arrangement. It makes no sense to create new problems in areas adjoining the Park as a consequence of attempting to solve perceived problems within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

Intersting today at just down from the The Wellington Monument there is a few "spaces" so I stuck the car and so did a fare few others.

Got a call from herself (lucky to be sat in the car) saying the ranger wont put a sticker on if I was jogging (all she could say as thought being clamped or fined) , but would have if i was at the protest, so I had to rush back to the car and move it.

He said he was going alll the way down the road, I assume to the magazine area if not in spaces

https://ibb.co/x1bNgqY (gave up on trying to post pics properly)

JUccTRB

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jeffk wrote: »
    IMG-20210320-143957.jpg

3dmzycxrzb4y.jpg

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks, im not sure if doing it wrong, my adlocker or what, did try an work it out in another thread and was linking album, but only get one link to share

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A few ratlicker groups were meeting up at the Wellington monument at 2pm. They left to march to the Custom House around 3:30.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Stark wrote: »
    A few ratlicker groups were meeting up at the Wellington monument at 2pm. They left to march to the Custom House around 3:30.
    The article with a photo showing the protesters at Wellington Monument is gone but those arrested were in court yesterday, including a local woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The new car reduction plans for the Park made the Six One news on RTE this evening with some views for and against both aired. Some Chapelizod residents were concerned their village would become a car park for the Park visitors

Details on the RTE app too.
    RTE news : 2,200 submissions for OPW Phoenix Park mobility plan

http://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0321/1205306-phoenix-park-mobility-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

ongarboy wrote: »
    The new car reduction plans for the Park made the Six One news on RTE this evening with some views for and against both aired. Some Chapelizod residents were concerned their village would become a car park for the Park visitors

Details on the RTE app too.
    RTE news : 2,200 submissions for OPW Phoenix Park mobility plan

http://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0321/1205306-phoenix-park-mobility-plan/

It's a shame if 2,200 have the final or major say on this, as most would be Twitter cyclists, and probably not from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Phil.x wrote: »
    It's a shame if 2,200 have the final or major say on this, as most would be Twitter cyclists, and probably not from Ireland.
    What a bizarre claim to make!

What do you base that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I base it on Twitter and the coherent abuse I received when saying anything but pro cycling.
    Twitter is nothing but gang of left wing cycling Nazi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Those cycling fordners stealing our road space!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

His strange obsession with cyclists, particularly those in tight black leather apparently.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It was an open consultation, if people didn't submit feedback, they can't be blamed that their views weren't heard.

Yeah I did see the insufferable Kevin Baker on there.

Will be interesting to see what the submissions break down as. The people they vox popped on site certainly recognised the need for car access and parking so families can enjoy it.

I think though, we'll probably finish up long way from the OPWs preferred option before this is put to bed.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah I did see the insufferable Kevin Baker on there.

Will be interesting to see what the submissions break down as. The people they vox popped on site certainly recognised the need for car access and parking so families can enjoy it.

I think though, we'll probably finish up long way from the OPWs preferred option before this is put to bed.

Is the OPW stopping access and parking? As far as I can tell, the main aim is to stop through traffic, like on the s-bends a few years ago. Which I fully support and which is achieved by simply a few strategically placed bollards. You can still access the car parks.

Is the OPW stopping access and parking? As far as I can tell, the main aim is to stop through traffic, like on the s-bends a few years ago. Which I fully support and which is achieved by simply a few strategically placed bollards. You can still access the car parks.

Reducing the natural flow and permeation of traffic will cause unnecessary congestion and safety issues outside of the Park. This is why further cul-de-sacs within are unacceptable.

Say for instance, one isolated section with a smaller amount of Parking fills up, people would have to leave the Park and mix it with other traffic outside to re-enter elsewhere. A needless and pointless diversion and an avoidable imposition on Chapelizod, Cabra, the NCR and Castleknock.

A balance of amenity and safety can be achieved by the one way orbital route for vehicular traffic and alternating the gates to one in, one out. This leaves the other traffic lane free for conversion to a two-way cycleway throughout the Park. This is option 7b of the Study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's a completely unnecessary plan and doesn't suit the vast majority. There was already plenty of access for cyclists. Many people just want to go up for a walk or a run and most would need a car to get there. What they've done there is to effectively make this not an option for many people on a nice day, as the car parks under the proposal are not going to allow for many people.

When the sun comes out there's barely a space to be had using the old free for all and people parking on Chesterfield Avenue, and it was great to see so many people enjoying one of the few free and accessible places in Dublin.

They are catering to the extremely vocal cycling zealots and the Castleknock residents who can stroll over easily. Maybe the green agenda types could focus more of their energy into improving public transport in Dublin instead of insisting on people cycling everywhere.

I don’t believe it is an unnecessary plan at all. Some of the detail can be worked out to minimise some of the issues that arise from it, whether that’s one way systems with a separate cycle lane instead of blocked roads. That can be for the consultation process to inform

But something needs to be done about the upper glen road. It is a sh1tshow on a busy day. Cars flying two ways, around blind corners, with some of the worst grass-verge-parking in the whole of the park. Add in this being a popular part of the park for families and cyclists (including kids with their parents) and you have a sh1tshow. IMO that road needs to be blocked like military road and open it up to recreational users like the area around magazine fort is. With acres road open you don’t need upper glen road as either a rat-run nor a circular route.

• Advertisement

They removed 650 spaces by removing parking from Chesterfield Ave.
    I'm not getting into the pros and cons of it.
    So regardless if they intended it or not, thats the end result.

I don’t believe it is an unnecessary plan at all. Some of the detail can be worked out to minimise some of the issues that arise from it, whether that’s one way systems with a separate cycle lane instead of blocked roads. That can be for the consultation process to inform

But something needs to be done about the upper glen road. It is a sh1tshow on a busy day. Cars flying two ways, around blind corners, with some of the worst grass-verge-parking in the whole of the park. Add in this being a popular part of the park for families and cyclists (including kids with their parents) and you have a sh1tshow. IMO that road needs to be blocked like military road and open it up to recreational users like the area around magazine fort is. With acres road open you don’t need upper glen road as either a rat-run nor a circular route.

They close chesterfield Ave to cars, (weekends in the summer) and push a lot of that traffic down upper glen road. So thats probably part of it.

So you have to assume they think people prefer to recreate on chesterfield Ave than around the upper glen road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

A lot of people use the part that have to drive there maybe 5/10km, are they saying only people within walkin/cycling distance can use this public park, the reasons why the car parks are full is because people travel to this to have a day out, reducing or taking away any more spaces should not be tolerated by the public, of course local residence and cyclists will think its a good idea, you have elderly people and family's using this park that have no alternative but to drive, not drive into a car park go out and get a bus to somewhere that should be easily accessible for everyone not just the local who are lucky enough to live within walking distance. Shame on the councils for trying to drive people away from one of the largest outdoor facilities we have in Dublin,

Its actually quite tricky for a local family with small kids to cycle to the park. Access is abysmal.

Then maybe they can get the bus with everyone else

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Joe4321 wrote: »
    A lot of people use the part that have to drive there maybe 5/10km, are they saying only people within walkin/cycling distance can use this public park, the reasons why the car parks are full is because people travel to this to have a day out, reducing or taking away any more spaces should not be tolerated by the public, of course local residence and cyclists will think its a good idea, you have elderly people and family's using this park that have no alternative but to drive, not drive into a car park go out and get a bus to somewhere that should be easily accessible for everyone not just the local who are lucky enough to live within walking distance. Shame on the councils for trying to drive people away from one of the largest outdoor facilities we have in Dublin,
    The plans include parking for about 1300 cars if I recall correctly. There may be charges for this parking. So how does this match your view that they are trying to stop people from driving to the park?
    Is this not enough spaces for you? Should we tarmac the whole park just to be sure that you can park as close to where you wish to get to?

As for the councils "trying to drive people away from one of the largest outdoor facilities we have in Dublin" - what have the councils got to do with it?

Grand. I guess if you are happy with that, we've nothing to complain about.

Don't be so silly, there is room for everybody

Shame on the councils for trying to drive people away from one of the largest outdoor facilities we have in Dublin,

To be fair, it has nothing at all to do with the Councils. The OPW run the Phoenix Park as a national park and heritage amenity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Treppen

Get a bus with 4 bikes, are you sure?

Advertisement