Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm just popping this here because its the closest relevant thread.

Fingal CoCo have closed St Catherine's Park in Lucan/Leixlip to all cars until further notice, at the request of Gardaí apparently. Pedestrian and cycle access only for the time being.

I think its a bit OTT myself, I was there on Sunday myself for an hour and it was getting busy as I left, but people were being patient and considerate.

There's a bit of an issue with access due to the works going on along the entrance lane, but parking has been fine each lunchtime when I take the dog out. Did they give a reason why, because it certainly doesn't feel like a move warranted by the levels of cars travelling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,872 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

liamog wrote: »
    There's a bit of an issue with access due to the works going on along the entrance lane, but parking has been fine each lunchtime when I take the dog out. Did they give a reason why, because it certainly doesn't feel like a move warranted by the levels of cars travelling there.

The weather was very nice on Sunday and certainly by the time I was leaving there were queues from the Laraghcon side waiting to access. There was still space in the western car park at the time. I assume that only got worse later on and so AGS have limited it to walking access only now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Cars were ok yesterday, so maybe it was jump a temp ban

Cars were ok yesterday, so maybe it was jump a temp ban

Ah ok, maybe just for the day, I could have read the tweet wrong. Good so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I haven't seen anything saying that this is no longer the case...

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1363475088071393283?s=19

• Advertisement

Went for a run in SCP about 4.30 this afternoon, cars were being admitted as normal.

Must just have been when it got a busy on Sunday.

I haven't seen anything saying that this is no longer the case...

The tweet was Sunday, there have been no restrictions since Monday. They must of just forgot to issue the further notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'd say it was due to the installation of the footpath entering the park, was there monday and the temporary traffic lights were out of sync causing a bit of a tailback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

The Garda issued the same request for Newbridge House at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

https://twitter.com/phoenixparkopw/status/1365240246594662400

OPW asking for people not to drive to the park this weekend. I'd like to see some mention of what measures are under consideration to assist traffic flow. It's frustrating that we are limited to 5km but the two largest outdoor recreational spaces within that range of D15 are becoming gridlocked at the weekends, and as a result inaccessible to users beyond a certain cohort.

• Advertisement

KGLady wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/phoenixparkopw/status/1365240246594662400

OPW asking for people not to drive to the park this weekend. I'd like to see some mention of what measures are under consideration to assist traffic flow.

They aren't going to assist traffic in a situation that they are keen to deter in the first place. They'd rather you get stuck and don't come back the next day. And as Fingal said, if its full, you're not getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What they usually do is let traffic chaos build up, a good 2hr queue of a car jam trying to get out of the park. Which then backs up into the surrounding areas, causing gridlock all over.

But you are local you'll know this and avoid it on busy/sunny days.

Maybe they'll have a traffic plan in place for once.

beauf wrote: »
    What they usually do is let traffic chaos build up, a good 2hr queue of a car jam trying to get out of the park. Which then backs up into the surrounding areas, causing gridlock all over.

But you are local you'll know this and avoid it on busy/sunny days.

Maybe they'll have a traffic plan in place for once.

Letting traffic chaos build up is probably the best way of deterring traffic in the future. A streamline and efficient traffic management system would have the unintended consequences of encouraging people to drive

Letting traffic chaos build up is probably the best way of deterring traffic in the future. A streamline and efficient traffic management system would have the unintended consequences of encouraging people to drive

Well you could just just close the gates or have counter like they have in car parks to limit the numbers.

Causing chaos that backups outside the park is a sloppy and least efficient of doing it.

It's just gonna be this way until more leisure options reopen as lockdown lifts.

Worse things happen at sea.

True..

As it happened I ended up in the park and there were no issues at all.

beauf wrote: »
    True..

As it happened I ended up in the park and there were no issues at all.

Went early this morning myself, it was beautiful there. Very lucky to have that within 5k

Is that not from a few days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Drove by today and traffic not too bad except through Castleknock village on the way back which is down to the Lidl junction rather than Phoenix Park.
    Cars parked in the cycle lane all the way up to traffic lights on White's Road so no enforcement of anything there. Blackhorse Avenue looked bad with cars parked all along the road there also but at least there was Garda presence inside the Castleknock Gates of the Phoenix Park but not sure if it was a checkpoint and they were fining and returning people to home.

St Catherine's was restricting car park access again today, we cycled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭I told ya

Got a flyer in the door from a local politican.

Apparently, the Knockmaroon gate is to be effectively closed. Access to the car park only via the gate and no exit from the park for other traffic.

Also, Upper Glen Road to be closed to through traffic. So through traffic entering the Chapleizod Gate can only go to Chesterfield Ave.

Ashtown Gate, entry only.

Cabra Gate, buses only.

North Road to be closed at The Hole in the Wall.

So only one vehicle exit (Castleknock) between Islandbridge Gate right around to NCR Gate.

Will really compound the traffic problems in Chapleizod village, Castleknock and Blackhorse Ave.

Like I said ages ago.

They don't learn from past experiences. So they have to keep repeating the same thing over. Best leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Closing the Knockmaroon gate would be a disaster for Mount Sackville. The school car park is tiny and many people use the side gate in the Park, collection and drop off times would be carnage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you choose to pay 4.5 k to send your kid to school you don't get to use the park as a collection and drop off point.

Should be looking to the school to provide transport solutions and opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Knockmaroon gate isn't being fully closed anyway, there's still access to Knockmaroon car park. You just don't get to enter at Knockmaroon and go for a drive round the Park.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Knockmaroon gate isn't being fully closed anyway, there's still access to Knockmaroon car park. You just don't get to enter at Knockmaroon and go for a drive round the Park.

How it should be with all the gates IMO. And leave the Av as the man thoroughfare.

The military road, with its bollards stopping through traffic, is a pleasure - full of walkers and cyclists. In contrast, upper Glen road is just a sh1tshow on a sunny weekend with people firing through that route to avoid the avenue

I'd be happy enough if they closed off Ordnance Survey Road between the OS entrance and the 4 way junction with Knockmaroon Rd, Furze Rd and Upper Glen

• Advertisement

I'd be happy enough if they closed off Ordnance Survey Road between the OS entrance and the 4 way junction with Knockmaroon Rd, Furze Rd and Upper Glen

agreed. all you need is a couple of bollards to completely stop the through traffic, like was done years ago on military road. Access for park users is unaffected, but the rat run is closed off

Advertisement