Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

bailey99 wrote: »
    I think Tuesday after the June bank holiday is the earliest likely date for same. I've said that before and been shot down.

Let’s take a moment to appreciate it’s not Bailey making the decisions on all things golf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Booked in for Wednesday 28th. Can't wait to slice it 100 yards out of bounds and thinking to myself what is the point :pac:

First drive is 100% getting a fore shout

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seve OB wrote: »
    Did you find a home?

Booked in as a provisional member to one of the not-so local clubs, as they said i could play as a non-member to try before i buy. Pretty sure i'll join there, but nice to be able to make sure its not terrible first.

Won't say where, as its technically against the rules and on the stupidly small chance they'd get found out and in trouble or anything.

Can't wait to get out though. Now that its so close, its almost even more unbearable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Our club has brought in only 9 hole bookings :( this is cruel!
    This is to accomodate everyone as only 2 balls allowed play. Waiting 5 months for a game and its only going to be 9 holes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Took a few days off work from the 28th, booked in 2 days in a row for 9 holes in castleknock.

My new irons arriving from ben hogan this coming monday aswell.. its so close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

ClutchIt wrote: »
    This is to accomodate everyone as only 2 balls allowed play. Waiting 5 months for a game and its only going to be 9 holes :mad:

With nphet admitting yesterday that the numbers are way better than what they could've hoped for, these golfing restrictions should be dumped. They're nonsensical and quite frankly absurd. But then again, cop on is sadly lacking at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

ClutchIt wrote: »

My club too, plus I live in a different county more than 20kms away so I'm not allowed to play anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

We're doing 9 holes on Mon-Wed and Sat and 18 holes on Thur-Fri and Sun to try balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

With nphet admitting yesterday that the numbers are way better than what they could've hoped for, these golfing restrictions should be dumped. They're nonsensical and quite frankly absurd. But then again, cop on is sadly lacking at the moment

2 households meeting up outdoors isn't a golf rule, it's a general rule. They'd either need to get rid out that rule altogether or add a cavaet to say that it's two households only unless you're golfing.

Clubs keeping it to two balls or 9 holes is a club issue, take it up with them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We're doing 9 holes on Mon-Wed and Sat and 18 holes on Thur-Fri and Sun to try balance it out.

That's not the worst idea. Have they limited the number of rounds you can play?

• Advertisement

I think we're lucky in Corballis at the moment that it's a public course so caters for non-members more than other clubs. And when they can't play it means that the timesheet isn't choc a block now at all.

I'm pretty sure you can still get a decent time to play on 26th or on the first weekend it reopens. I did not expect that. All 18 holes too. They have limited people to one weekend round which was a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

blue note wrote: »
    2 households meeting up outdoors isn't a golf rule, it's a general rule. They'd either need to get rid out that rule altogether or add a cavaet to say that it's two households only unless you're golfing.

You mean like the caveat that it's two households unless you're training with a GAA team ?

This is what I posted about last month. Having top down led rules for how golf is to be played such as only two households together are silly caveats which have no bearing and are unmeasurable in anyway. Its BS tokenism that uproots how booking systems work.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    You mean like the caveat that it's two households unless you're training with a GAA team ?

This is what I posted about last month. Having top down led rules for how golf is to be played such as only two households together are BS caveats which have no bearing and are unmeasurable in anyway. Its BS tokenism that uproots how booking systems work.

Far more specific than that. More than two households if you're training senior intercounty teams, LOI teams or Interprovincial Rugby teams. For 99% of teams in the country, it's no training at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ceepo

What it means is you can have counting competitions set up on the computer for people to sign in online, enter cards online, pay online as long as you don't call it a competition or publish results

My club are not allowing rounds to qualify for handicap, all golf will be casual golf.

"There will be no formal competitions in the short term and all Golf will be played as casual golf. Playing for handicap will not be permitted either, as this involves administration and the use of computer terminals and card checking."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Far more specific than that. More than two households if you're training senior intercounty teams, LOI teams or Interprovincial Rugby teams. For 99% of teams in the country, it's no training at all.

Your wasting your time, people only see what they want to see and have a bogeyman.

While I don't particularly agree with some of the current "Government Policy", I don't subscribe to the golf persecution complex.

Clubs keeping it to two balls or 9 holes is a club issue, take it up with them.

Yep that's my point. Its a nphet/ government rule that should be done away with asap. Its four golfers in a large field. Hardly a super spreader event ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

For 99% of teams in the country, it's no training at all.

Why do you think that? Every pitch in the country is open, can't you see people train on them every day? People are out and they should be. It's clearly known this virus is predominantly airborne and that it's only spread by being indoors.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Why do you think that? Every pitch in the country is open, can't you see people train on them every day? People are out and they should be. It's clearly known this virus is predominantly airborne and that it's only spread by being indoors.

Well that's not true. I live in Portmarnock and the gaa clubs gates are locked and have been for months. I imagine most clubs are the same if they have a gate they can lock. Similar to most golf clubs.

You see lots of matches going on in public parks. They don't look like training sessions to me, they look like a bunch of lads arranged a match / kick about. They're against the rules. The problem is that you can't control people and they'll break the rules. But sporting organisations by and large have been very compliant. We hear of breaches, but I've heard very little of organised breaches.

Your wasting your time, people only see what they want to see and have a bogeyman.

While I don't particularly agree with some of the current "Government Policy", I don't subscribe to the golf persecution complex.

What persecution complex?? What's that supposed to mean? All anyone is referring to is the stupidity of the rules we're being subjected to as golfers. If you believe every senior club teams won't be fully training in two weeks time your delusional. And they aren't elite sports people. All we're asking for is common sense to be used in this situation. There is no scientific need for a two household rule for outdoor sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Ceepo wrote: »
    My club are not allowing rounds to qualify for handicap, all golf will be casual golf.

"There will be no formal competitions in the short term and all Golf will be played as casual golf. Playing for handicap will not be permitted either, as this involves administration and the use of computer terminals and card checking."

While it will be great to be back, casual golf gets monotonous after a short while. Especially in a 2ball. I actually don't mind the 2ball when it will be competitive and handicap counting. Can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

They are going to ease restrictions more on May 4th by the looks of it, hopefully 2 balls will only be for a few weeks

What persecution complex?? What's that supposed to mean? All anyone is referring to is the stupidity of the rules we're being subjected to as golfers. If you believe every senior club teams won't be fully training in two weeks time your delusional. And they aren't elite sports people. All we're asking for is common sense to be used in this situation. There is no scientific need for a two household rule for outdoor sports.

As has been pointed out the various sporting organisations by and large have been very compliant. If the rules allow them to, they will otherwise everything else is pure conjecture.

Thus answering your own question.

There's a massive persecution complex here and amongst golfers in general. You'd swear golf was the only game shut down when reading golfers comments, whereas it's actually the first one to open back up to more than a tiny fraction of the participants. And we're subject to the same restrictions as the rest of the country and we're angry that are clubs are making an effort to ensure that there are no breaches on the courses. Basically, we're annoyed that our clubs aren't turning a blind eye to us breaking the rules.

There's been constant point towards the GAA here over the last few months for getting special treatment while golfers are kept off the courses, even no training is allowed back yet, intercounty is almost back and there's no official plan for the 99% of players. The kids are coming back in exactly the same way as the golf kids are allowed to.

It's a sh1t situation over the last year and everything has suffered including golf. We have not been treated badly in comparison to other sports.

There's a massive persecution complex here and amongst golfers in general. You'd swear golf was the only game shut down when reading golfers comments, whereas it's actually the first one to open back up to more than a tiny fraction of the participants. And we're subject to the same restrictions as the rest of the country and we're angry that are clubs are making an effort to ensure that there are no breaches on the courses. Basically, we're annoyed that our clubs aren't turning a blind eye to us breaking the rules.

There's been constant point towards the GAA here over the last few months for getting special treatment while golfers are kept off the courses, even no training is allowed back yet, intercounty is almost back and there's no official plan for the 99% of players. The kids are coming back in exactly the same way as the golf kids are allowed to.

It's a sh1t situation over the last year and everything has suffered including golf. We have not been treated badly in comparison to other sports.

This sums up my position. It's been sh1t but there was never gonna be an exception made for golf over all other outdoor (non-team) sports.

The number of people playing golf in the last 12 months driven up by it was one of the very few sports open

Another bizarre rule they have come up with from 26th April is that your professional can give coaching to kids in groups of up to 15 but can't give a lesson to an adult 1 to 1. Makes absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You just know this fine weather will be gone once we get back onto the course.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

After all the wait have something on with work that means I can't play on the 26th! Tee sheet opened just there at 2pm so booked in for 18 on the 27th. & 28th. Cannot wait for that first hosel rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭finglashoop

You just know this fine weather will be gone once we get back onto the course.

never bothered me the weather but ill appreciate the manky days a bit more i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You'd swear golf was the only game shut down when reading golfers comments, whereas it's actually the first one to open back up to more than a tiny fraction of the participants.

Read them again.
    The posts make logical arguments to question why golf (and other outdoor sports such as tennis where social distancing is natural) was unnecessary shut down.
    No golfers thought that golf was the only sport shut down.
    We of course do realise it is one of the first to reopen, but we also realise that it should have been opened months ago.

Any way roll on next week

Advertisement