Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It's become clear that it's perfectly safe being outdoors. 7+ months for members golf to be banned is excessive and pointless. However now the return has been manipulated to lead to over-subscribed 2-ball only, 9-hole only non-competitive only while zoos are to be wedged to capacity for weeks before people from three different families are allowed to even play together on a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

RoadRunner wrote: »
    It's become clear that it's perfectly safe being outdoors.

NPHET agree.

"Seeking to explain the improved figures, Prof Nolan said it appears that people met up outdoors over St Patrick’s Day and Easter and avoided indoor locations such as workplaces.
    “Social mixing appears to have shifted outdoors. That’s had a positive impact on the incidence of infection.”"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/shift-to-outdoor-social-mixing-plays-major-role-in-fall-of-covid-19-cases-nphet-says-1.4538212

They and the government should be doing everything in their powers to encourage outdoor activities. Preventing any outdoor non-contact activities, golf or anything else, is just stupid.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    It's become clear that it's perfectly safe being outdoors. 7+ months for members golf to be banned is excessive and pointless. However now the return has been manipulated to lead to over-subscribed 2-ball only, 9-hole only non-competitive only while zoos are to be wedged to capacity for weeks before people from three different families are allowed to even play together on a golf course.

I presume there's only 2 households allowed into the Zoo every 8 minutes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Kiith wrote: »
    That's not the worst idea. Have they limited the number of rounds you can play?

No mention at the moment, assume if it gets flooded with the same people then they'll take a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

3 ball slots and 18 holes for us, limited to 3 rounds for the first week and a reminder of Nphet/Government advice re 2 households.

Can't wait to be back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

2 ball for the first 2 hours then 4 ball slots available for the remainder of the day. Could be very slow playing in a 2 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

We have 2 balls for 18 holes until 4pm, then 3/4 balls allowed after that. Second course has 2 x 9 holes all day.

Requested to only make 3 bookings/week, but if any slots free at 6pm before each day of play then anyone can take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

2 balls and 9 holes for starters. 9 holes will be reviewed weekly. I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

This sums up my position. It's been sh1t but there was never gonna be an exception made for golf over all other outdoor (non-team) sports.

The number of people playing golf in the last 12 months driven up by it was one of the very few sports open

It's not a question of making an 'exception' for golf-but of assessing the nature and dynamics of the game . If you were to design one sport that could be played in a pandemic - golf would be it.
    Why golf could not have been allowed to start from the 12th April -even with the dumb 2 ball stipulation - defies all logic.
    I despair when I consider the arrant silliness of politicians and bureaucrats whose gross ineptitude has been illustrated so starkly in their mistreatment of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

Frisbee wrote: »
    After all the wait have something on with work that means I can't play on the 26th! Tee sheet opened just there at 2pm so booked in for 18 on the 27th. & 28th. Cannot wait for that first hosel rocket.

Tee off at an angle of 45* to the fairway ....bisect same .:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Time sheet opened this evening. I’m booked in for mon-sat every day.
    I actually had a tear in my eye booking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We're restricted to 3 9 holes per week apparently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »

You're back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,848 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »

Fair play ForeRight - you pulled us through this and this thread :D - with positivity , reality, hope and vision. Something seriously lacking in life and work at present.

Fair play..........

But to end on a positive note - are you one of them Bastards filling the time sheets all week. :D

Fair play ForeRight - you pulled us through this and this thread :D - with positivity , reality, hope and vision. Something seriously lacking in life and work at present.

Fair play..........

But to end on a positive note - are you one of them Bastards filling the time sheets all week. :D

Yes I am and I make no apologies :)
    To be honest there’s plenty of room on our sheet in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Two balls only. 9 holes permitted twice a week. Absolute joke. Pristine course aside, its very hard to justify paying over 1100 quid this year..... Will just have to put up with it I suppose and hope it's lasts no longer than an initial two week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

9 holes only at the minute unfortunately! I can tolerate it for the the initial 2 weeks but not sure for how long after

Booked in for Tuesday and Sunday the first week with the biggest decision being when to break out the new box of pro vs. I am thinking week 2 at the earliest!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I'll be taking out the worst balls I have. Not expecting my game to be in decent condition, plan on hitting driver off every tee regardless.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Today's a good golfing day but I'm off to Glendalough instead.

We went live for the first week of bookings yesterday evening with 9 holes only and a skip a day policy, so I've booked front 9 for Monday, Friday and Sunday and the back 9 for Wednesday.

9 holes is fine for me for a week or two to build back up the golf and carry fitness, Ill probably start off with a half-set as well just in case :p :pac:

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    9 holes only at the minute unfortunately! I can tolerate it for the the initial 2 weeks but not sure for how long after

Booked in for Tuesday and Sunday the first week with the biggest decision being when to break out the new box of pro vs. I am thinking week 2 at the earliest!

I lost the plot and was hitting brand new seed balls up the back of the house into the wilderness :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

The more think of it, I'll probably spend more time on our range rather than out on the course the first two weeks. Timesheet will be jammers. Might be more beneficial maybe ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

We went live for the first week of bookings yesterday evening with 9 holes only and a skip a day policy, so I've booked front 9 for Monday, Friday and Sunday and the back 9 for Wednesday.

9 holes is fine for me for a week or two to build back up the golf and carry fitness, Ill probably start off with a half-set as well just in case :p :pac:

I’ll be doing the same with the aul pencil bag! Where are you living/ member these days?

Seve OB wrote: »
    I’ll be doing the same with the aul pencil bag! Where are you living/ member these days?

Bray, you'll have to join me for a round some day soon, when conditions allow of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Picked up a Sunday bag last week myself. Half sets are perfect for summer evenings for a quick run around the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bray, you'll have to join me for a round some day soon, when conditions allow of course!

Most definitely. I’ve actually never played it. Used to play the old course when I was a kid interclub matches. I remember one time I hit a decent shot but my hand me down clubs were so old and past it, the head of the 7 iron went further than the ball!

New Clubhouse supposed to be fantastic. Am looking forward to joining you for a game there already, and sure if you are in that area now I’ll get you out for a game in the Stones too

Seve OB wrote: »
    Most definitely. I’ve actually never played it. Used to play the old course when I was a kid interclub matches. I remember one time I hit a decent shot but my hand me down clubs were so old and past it, the head of the 7 iron went further than the ball!

New Clubhouse supposed to be fantastic. Am looking forward to joining you for a game there already, and sure if you are in that area now I’ll get you out for a game in the Stones too

Ha! The clubhouse is lovely alright and hopefully it'll be open again by the time we get to play. The course gets harder every time I play it, but I did think it was pretty playable the first time I played it.

Yes, would love to get out at Greystones some time too, there's a lot of course in the area I have to get around to playing, only played one of the Powerscourt courses so far, just missed the boat with Charlesland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

2 ball, 9 hole, max three time a week in my place. Have introduced a mandatory cost of €3 per nine holes for “handicapping administration” (no option but to prepay this online) for these rounds. You can decline this only in person when you arrive in person in the pro shop

I will not be paying this. I’d be happy to to pay something voluntary to help out the club but this is snakey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Do we know how long the two balls/two household nonsense will last?

Advertisement