Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Are clubs accepting green fees in few weeks or is it just members only?

I’m joined to a club but tempted to give Tralee or Killarney a go if got chance

Initially from the 26th April, it's members only

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

lets lighten the mood a bit

what are you looking forward to most about the return to golf?
    is it getting a bit of exercise, getting away from the wife and kids for a few hours, the smell of the cut grass, getting blown around the links on a windy day, working on the short game, smashing your first drive..... or just getting to play with your sticks and balls without anybody near you ;)

and to darken it a little, what are you least looking forward to?
    is it the first tee shot? is it the fear of not being able to find the rhythm and not being able to hit the ball as you used to, or is it the covid check in, the not being able to have a post round pint, or is it only being able to play 9, or worse, not getting your name on the sheet for the first week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Seve OB wrote: »

is it getting a bit of exercise, getting away from the wife and kids for a few hours, the smell of the cut grass, getting blown around the links on a windy day, working on the short game, smashing your first drive..... or just getting to play with your sticks and balls without anybody near you ;)

is it the first tee shot? is it the fear of not being able to find the rhythm and not being able to hit the ball as you used to, or is it the covid check in, the not being able to have a post round pint, or is it only being able to play 9, or worse, not getting your name on the sheet for the first week?

I have a whoop and I can see from my numbers that my general health is SOOOOO much better when I am able to play golf. My HRV has increased every time I have been allowed back on the course.

Side effects to my oncology meds immediately fall away

Lets hope all the apps tell me is true BUT it is the hope that kills you

9 holes for a week is fine by me as I struggle building golf fitness. Booked in Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday first week. Will try add Monday following week to test back to back

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Seve OB wrote: »

Was only getting to grips with my new driver before golf was put on hold. Be like starting over from scratch when I'm back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Im looking forward to restarting the drive to single figures was going well and in the low teens and feeling good about my game before the lockdown.

Invested in a Cobra driver before lockdown which saw the course once. Took the plunge and ordered a set of Ben hogan Ptx Pro irons which are due to arrive in a week along with 2 brand new vokeys.

I will look the part.. all the gear and no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Might sound strange but I'm just hoping to find my passion for playing golf again. My interest has dwindled since last September and right now I'm not even that excited about the return to golf, like if it was announced that return to golf was pushed out another month I wouldn't be too bothered. I remember after lockdown 1 last year I was chomping at the bit to get back out there. I think it's mainly down to finding other hobbies to fill my spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Looking forward to playing our course which currently looks like Augusta due to lack of traffic 😀 . Not looking forward to the inevitable scramble for tee times if it's reduced to two balls or nine hole golf😡.
    Also I reckon my swing will be pure rusty so I hope to get some fluidity back quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Found at my course (Lurgan) in the North here that the 2 balls and 9 holes only actually worked well as a reintroduction.

Our 10th hole comes back to clubhouse so we effectively had two timesheets. Loads of space available and the golf is enjoyable because 2 balls at 10 mins is ample time to ensure no hold ups on course.

The mad rush for tee times like last May never materialised.

Only issue of course was the spliting up of your usual 4 ball members but from today we're back to 4 balls and comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Found at my course (Lurgan) in the North here that the 2 balls and 9 holes only actually worked well as a reintroduction.

Our 10th hole comes back to clubhouse so we effectively had two timesheets. Loads of space available and the golf is enjoyable because 2 balls at 10 mins is ample time to ensure no hold ups on course.

The mad rush for tee times like last May never materialised.

Only issue of course was the spliting up of your usual 4 ball members but from today we're back to 4 balls and comps.

Depends on number of members in club I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Waking up like a kid at Christmas the morning we're back. Getting the clubs in the car, sausage roll on the way. Mentally preparing my game, visualizing my swing, and repeating to myself to slow everything down.

Then i'll get to the tee, completely forget everything i just told myself, and try to absolutely smash the ball. Guaranteed slice, and a proper chuckle.

Can't ****in wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Golf often helps to recalibrate my mind. The world doesn't seem like such a bad place after I get to play a few holes. So I'm really looking forward to that.

My first round after the first lockdown my electric trolley broke on the 4th tee and I had to leave after six, so anything bad less than that is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Kiith wrote: »
    Waking up like a kid at Christmas the morning we're back. Getting the clubs in the car, sausage roll on the way. Mentally preparing my game, visualizing my swing, and repeating to myself to slow everything down.

Then i'll get to the tee, completely forget everything i just told myself, and try to absolutely smash the ball. Guaranteed slice, and a proper chuckle.

Can't ****in wait :D

Sausage roll is fine, but DO NOT buy petrol or coffee. That's how you catch COVID apparentlyl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

cjfitz wrote: »
    Golf often helps to recalibrate my mind. The world doesn't seem like such a bad place after I get to play a few holes. So I'm really looking forward to that.

My first round after the first lockdown my electric trolley broke on the 4th tee and I had to leave after six, so anything bad less than that is cool.

I'm exactly the same, really clears/resets my mind.

Apart from the golf itself, I'm looking forward to some adult company (a part from the wife). Just talking rubbish, shooting the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Sausage roll is fine, but DO NOT buy petrol or coffee. That's how you catch COVID apparentlyl

And once golf courses are closed, nobody buys any coffee or petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

cjfitz wrote: »

I can totally relate to this. Knowing that I'm playing golf at the weekend really helps my mind and humour during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

No wonder we cant get golfing earlier, when we have people stopping for sausage rolls.

Can we not forget our sausage rolls until we hit level 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Depends on number of members in club I guess.

We have a cap on our members at the moment so it's at full capacity.

Still the chaos of timesheet pressure during last year's return to golf in May didn't materialise this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We have a cap on our members at the moment so it's at full capacity.

Still the chaos of timesheet pressure during last year's return to golf in May didn't materialise this time around.

I think it will be bad for us - but maybe way more people will be in work this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Are practice areas permitted to open on the 26th or is it course only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Are practice areas permitted to open on the 26th or is it course only?

Practice areas open

On another note.... Why do NIAC not want the society to reopen? Is ntthis really just incompetence from government departments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

been browsing my shotscope feed and shows people have been out on my course and others during lockdown

i assume they would have to be pros to have access? or are courses closed to everyone.

the person who put up a score on my course is not on the members list on howdidido that i can see.

strange

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd say every club in he country has had members sneak onto the course for varying levels of play during lockdown.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've briefly considered sneaking onto some of the local courses to play a single hole, but realised that'd be a bad idea all round.

Still considering it :pac:

Anyone else hearing that the GUI have confirmed it's two balls or four balls from two households?

Anyone else hearing that the GUI have confirmed it's two balls or four balls from two households?

It was confirmed in their guidance when they issued it over a week ago. Our place are doing two balls most of the day, then allowing fourballs from about 5:30. In fairness, it's probably the way to get most people out onto the course, because very few play with members of their own household. So if you opened up the timesheet to fourballs, you'd end up with mainly two balls anyway, but at fourball intervals. And at fourball pace.

I don't think people realised, but it's only from yesterday that two households are allowed to meet up outside. So golf Ireland are outlining how clubs can reopen within the current restrictions.

I've a 7:38 tee time on the Saturday after golf opens. I can't wait. I'm going to fly around!

https://www.golfireland.ie/covid-19

The link to the guidance is on the above page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

blue note wrote: »
    I'd say every club in he country has had members sneak onto the course for varying levels of play during lockdown.

The number of divots you see when we return will be the tell :D:D

I'm expecting the course to be pristine when I get to it on Saturday. Even though there will be 5 full days of golf on it before I get to it. Room for 932 rounds. That's 932 potential divots on the first tee.

But I expect to see zero!

It was confirmed in their guidance when they issued it over a week ago. Our place are doing two balls most of the day, then allowing fourballs from about 5:30. In fairness, it's probably the way to get most people out onto the course, because very few play with members of their own household. So if you opened up the timesheet to fourballs, you'd end up with mainly two balls anyway, but at fourball intervals. And at fourball pace.

I don't think people realised, but it's only from yesterday that two households are allowed to meet up outside. So golf Ireland are outlining how clubs can reopen within the current restrictions.

I've a 7:38 tee time on the Saturday after golf opens. I can't wait. I'm going to fly around!

https://www.golfireland.ie/covid-19

The link to the guidance is on the above page.

Are you playing 18 holes or using a 9 hole course to try get as many members out as possible?

Are you playing 18 holes or using a 9 hole course to try get as many members out as possible?

18 holes. And there are still spaces left on the timesheet, so the demand wasn't nearly as crazy as I expected.

• Advertisement

18 holes. And there are still spaces left on the timesheet, so the demand wasn't nearly as crazy as I expected.

That's good to hear. Having that said, I just ran through the FAQs in that document you linked. To me, it just emphasises how weak golf Ireland actually are, that they agreed to some of that rubbish. If they were a workers Union, you'd be telling them to pack their bags and taking your weekly subs off them.

Advertisement