Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

To be blunt I think people are being daft with their expectations on golf Ireland. I didn't actually realise that in the restrictions up to yesterday you weren't allowed to meet up with another household outside even for exercise. The chances of golf Ireland managing to get the government to amend that restriction to include "unless you're golfing" were zero.

And now the guidelines are basically as before for golf. Clubs seem to be taking some initiative to ensure that members actually aren't playing with more than one household which is only right. If any other sport opened up and basically ignored some restrictions they'd be lambasted.

I don't know what people wanted golf Ireland to do. To be honest, I think people were just frustrated at not being able to play golf so took aim at golf Ireland, the gaa bizarrely, the golfgate lads. The government and NPHET too, but at least they were the ones making the decisions / advising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I expected them to stand up for the game using a bit of cop on which our government and nphet seem to be sadly lacking in at this moment. Standing in a wide open fairway with three other golfers is not going to fill ICU next week. That's not bluster, that's based on the science of studying outside activities during covid.
    On a related issue, I've just been reliably informed that timesheets may not be as jammed as we thought they were going to be because so many members are not signing up this year. So there's the end result of this farce..... Revenue basically destroyed for many clubs. It was always going to happen I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soundshkin

blue note wrote: »

https://www.golfireland.ie/covid-19

The link to the guidance is on the above page.

Very interesting reading the FAQ on that page around competitive golf:

"Q. Can I play handicap qualifying golf?
    A. Sport Ireland and the Expert Group on Sport have stipulated in their sectoral guidance
    regarding the sports that are resuming on 26th April that no formal competitions should be
    organised or promoted by clubs in the initial phase of reopening. Clubs are permitted to
    administer handicap-qualifying activities which may involve collection of entry/registration
    fees (which should be done online), a procedure for players registering to play a counting
    round, and collation of scores and handicap adjustments in accordance with the Rules of
    Handicapping. However, all such golf activities should be solely based on “arrival-play-
    depart without delay"

Does that mean the usual weekly handicap competitions can be run by clubs?

I have no idea when you say you expect them to "stand up for the game" what you actually want them to do.

I will say that not having competitions is daft. They should just stipulate that the scores should be submitted through an app. I'm sure plenty exist, so just pick one. I'd be amazed if they didn't argue to allow competitions though. It's just out of their hands.

Soundshkin wrote: »
    Very interesting reading the FAQ on that page around competitive golf:

"Q. Can I play handicap qualifying golf?
    A. Sport Ireland and the Expert Group on Sport have stipulated in their sectoral guidance
    regarding the sports that are resuming on 26th April that no formal competitions should be
    organised or promoted by clubs in the initial phase of reopening. Clubs are permitted to
    administer handicap-qualifying activities which may involve collection of entry/registration
    fees (which should be done online), a procedure for players registering to play a counting
    round, and collation of scores and handicap adjustments in accordance with the Rules of
    Handicapping. However, all such golf activities should be solely based on “arrival-play-
    depart without delay"

Does that mean the usual weekly handicap competitions can be run by clubs?

I suspect that's where the debate over competitions got to. It's probably a wider rule that competitive sport isn't allowed back but golf Ireland managed to sneak this in. It's not a competition but it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

blue note wrote: »
    I suspect that's where the debate over competitions got to. It's probably a wider rule that competitive sport isn't allowed back but golf Ireland managed to sneak this in. It's not a competition but it is.

How will this actually work? So I want to play a qualifying round in 2/3 weeks time at my home club , what do i have to do? Will the timesheet have a way of showing who is playing a qualifying round or do you need to register in pro shop? apologies if these questions have been answered before.

PS any update on the golf ireland app? I thought it was to be launched a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

fearruanua wrote: »
    How will this actually work? So I want to play a qualifying round in 2/3 weeks time at my home club , what do i have to do? Will the timesheet have a way of showing who is playing a qualifying round or do you need to register in pro shop? apologies if these questions have been answered before.

PS any update on the golf ireland app? I thought it was to be launched a few months ago

What it means is you can have counting competitions set up on the computer for people to sign in online, enter cards online, pay online as long as you don't call it a competition or publish results

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just booked myself in for a couple of 9 hole slots in the first week back

lots and lots of available slots still available and went live yesterday morning so definitely not the same mad rush to get back at it this time around

I'm kinda the same, not fussed if I get out or not for 2 reasons and I'm guessing I'm probably not alone here

>Last year I was basically out of work, now I am working 4 days (for the time being anyway)
    >no competitions is not appealing

but I do enjoy a casual 9 holes to practice

What it means is you can have counting competitions set up on the computer for people to sign in online, enter cards online, pay online as long as you don't call it a competition or publish results

or give prizes?

Got an update on it last week, it as least it seems to be back working now anyway.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    or give prizes?

Physical prizes?

No issue with prizes once there is no prize giving ceremony.

Online vouchers etc should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Got an update on it last week, it as least it seems to be back working now anyway.

I can't see any sign of the app in itunes. Is it available on android?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Yep, just installed it

Physical prizes?

No issue with prizes once there is so prize giving ceremony.

i agree vouchers should be fine but i don't think the document even gets into prize giving ceremony

but the stipulation is no organised competitions. so the above should be irrelevant, its not supposed to be done full stop.

your point above counting competitions being allowed is not technically not true.

counting scores yes, but not competitions. its all totally stupid, farcical and makes no sense, but it is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Physical prizes?

No issue with prizes once there is so prize giving ceremony.

To use a phrase from the early 80's its an irish solution to an irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Baker64

Golf now in two , three or four ball format in keeping with new covid protocols.
    two households only per line.
    Golf Ireland excel once again.FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Baker64 wrote: »
    Golf now in two , three or four ball format in keeping with new covid protocols.
    two households only per line.
    Golf Ireland excel once again.FFS.

For the love of god, golf ireland do not make government policy

Sorry I've an android phone. Tbh you're not missing out on much, but I presume they'll improve it as time goes by

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Baker64

They are supposed to represent Golf.
    Take a look at our beaches ,parks ,greenways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Sorry I've an android phone. Tbh you're not missing out on much, but I presume they'll improve it as time goes by

It looks alright. Access to all your club members handicaps, which is something we lost off howdidido

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    i agree vouchers should be fine but i don't think the document even gets into prize giving ceremony

but the stipulation is no organised competitions. so the above should be irrelevant, its not supposed to be done full stop.

your point above counting competitions being allowed is not technically not true.

counting scores yes, but not competitions. its all totally stupid, farcical and makes no sense, but it is what it is

Nope, they are allowed in all but name. I have confirmation of that.

They can be set up on the competition computer for players to sign in etc. Exactly like would happen in a "normal" competition

Nope, they are allowed in all but name. I have confirmation of that.

They can be set up on the competition computer for players to sign in etc. Exactly like would happen in a "normal" competition

Do you mind me asking where you got that confirmation from? I'm not disputing what you say but just wondering if it is from an official source so I can mention within my own Club as a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Qualifying competitions from tomorrow at my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Qualifying competitions from tomorrow at my place.
    That sentence alone made me smile a bit,even if it's only for the north I look forward to seeing it for the south.

Exactly wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you got that confirmation from? I'm not disputing what you say but just wondering if it is from an official source so I can mention within my own Club as a possibility.

From Golf Ireland via a phone call

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    That sentence alone made me smile a bit,even if it's only for the north I look forward to seeing it for the south.

I'd only love it. The best chance I'd have of winning anything would be if they had a raffle, but I just miss that sinking feeling on the back 9 when you ruin a potentially winning score.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

It will be a strange feeling not having a 0.1 on the line it must be said.

Instead i've basically 4 free rounds until my oldest qualifying score falls out of my top 20. Then the pressure begins haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

I've also seen the Golf Ireland correspondence regarding the updated information on competitions. So as suggested above, they are allowed in all but name. I thought the last line was a little farcical.... "Prize presentations must not be organised, and results must not be promoted in public media." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

13 days

#holdfirm

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

From Golf Ireland via a phone call

Can you please pm contact details for relevant person/department in golf Ireland as I would like to get something I can give my club also

Advertisement