Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain commemorating VE day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,169 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    They defeated the planned invasion of their country. Bear in mind the US lost most of their early battles against both the Germans and the Japanese. The Allies could not have defeated Germany without British involvement. The US would never have gotten a foothold in Europe if Britain had not defeated Germany in the Battle of Britain and in North Africa.

I'll type it slowly, shall I?

The British did not defeat the Germans.
    The Allies defeated Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Jizique wrote: »
    Defeating the Italians is nothing to celebrate and brag about
    Montgomery won a convincing victory against Rommel in north Africa though, so were not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I'll type it slowly, shall I?

The British did not defeat the Germans.
    The Allies defeated Germany.

Yes, type as slowly as you want and don’t overstretch yourself on your syllables 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that a hurried retreat is a win.

There is no conclusive evidence that Hitler planned to invade Britain and different schools of thought on it.

Repelling an invasion of a power that went on to grow ain't no victory anyway.

Well there we go, exactly the type of crap I was talking about. Honestly, if you can't commemorate and congratulate Britain & her Allies on the defeat of Hitler on VE Day, then it's a sad reflection on your perspective of WWII.

The Battle of Britain was a stunning victory for the RAF as an underdog gainst a much more powerful Luftwaffe.

We can all be thankful that Britain and her Allies won.

Well there we go, exactly the type of crap I was talking about. Honestly, if you can't commemorate and congratulate Britain & her Allies on the defeat of Hitler on VE Day, then it's a sad reflection on your perspective of WWII.

The Battle of Britain was a stunning victory for the RAF as an underdog gainst a much more powerful Luftwaffe.

We can all be thankful that Britain and her Allies won.

It was you who said it, not me.

'The British people fought the Nazis and won'...is wrong HC. Sorry. At best, they won an air battle. A large battle granted but in the context of the overall war not that big.

They Allies defeated Germany.

Having to listen to 'crap' like the above every year is why these threads exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I think it's important to commemorate VE day but everyone puts it in different contexts. For some, it will simply be a victory over Germany and Italy. I don't want to rattle on about stereotypes but you can imagine the sort of person who indulges in the petty nationalistic and jingoistic aspect of the UK's part in victory in Europe.

For others it will be a victory over fascism. I think that's the context that should be reinforced, that as an ideology manifested by the likes of Hitler, fascism had to be defeated, but to focus on the purely political would probably make a lot of people in the British media uncomfortable.

It was you who said it, not me.

'The British people fought the Nazis and won'...is wrong HC. Sorry. At best, they won an air battle. A large battle granted but in the context of the overall war not that big.

They Allies defeated Germany.

Having to listen to 'crap' like the above every year is why these threads exist.

The British defeated the Germans at El Alamein, the first hugely significant defeat of Germany in the war. The US didn’t land in North Africa until after Rommel’s defeat.

The British defeated the Germans at El Alamein, the first hugely significant defeat of Germany in the war. The US didn’t land in North Africa until after Rommel’s defeat.

The Germans were defeated in 1942 then? Why weren't we told?

The Germans were defeated in 1942 then? Why weren't we told?

Yes, Rommel was defeated by the British in North Africa. I guess some people only learn history through rebel songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes, Rommel was defeated by the British in North Africa. I guess some people only learn history through rebel songs.

that was just 1 battle, ultimately it was the allies as a group effort who defeated germany as a whole and not the british on their own.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

They defeated the planned invasion of their country. Bear in mind the US lost most of their early battles against both the Germans and the Japanese. The Allies could not have defeated Germany without British involvement. The US would never have gotten a foothold in Europe if Britain had not defeated Germany in the Battle of Britain and in North Africa.

I think people especially those who live in the countries colonised by the British take exception to British exceptionalism. For instance while the RAF did defeat the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain a fact that is not widely spoken about is that only for hitler insisting on continuous bombing of London they would have succeeded in the original goal which was to destroy RAF airfields. If they had done so then the brits where finished as the invasion would have taken place.

Similarly the English harp on about defeating the Spanish armada when actually they never sank one spanish ship instead the main reason Spain didn’t succeed then was down to there own incompetent command but you don’t hear about this nor the fact that the English took there own armada to Spain 1 year later and were battered back to where the came from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I think people especially those who live in the countries colonised by the British take exception to British exceptionalism. For instance while the RAF did defeat the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain a fact that is not widely spoken about is that only for hitler insisting on continuous bombing of London they would have succeeded in the original goal which was to destroy RAF airfields. If they had done so then the brits where finished as the invasion would have taken place.

Similarly the English harp on about defeating the Spanish armada when actually they never sank one spanish ship instead the main reason Spain didn’t succeed then was down to there own incompetent command but you don’t hear about this nor the fact that the English took there own armada to Spain 1 year later and were battered back to where the came from

In the same fashion they never belt up about Agincourt but leave out the fact that they ultimatley lost the hundred years war.

that was just 1 battle, ultimately it was the allies as a group effort who defeated germany as a whole and not the british on their own.

Yes, indeed. But Britain played a crucial role, they are well entitled to celebrate their part in the victory.

So the mighty British won the war in 42 by defeating Germany...who knew.
    Do the Americans know this? Rather you tell Trump than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Odhinn wrote: »
    In the same fashion they never belt up about Agincourt but leave out the fact that they ultimatley lost the hundred years war.

Agincourt,the origin of the `V` sign,used by English archers to wind up the French apparently.

That’s highly debatable. German intelligence was rubbish and most bombing raids were not very effective. Britain was significantly outpacing Germany in aircraft production and practically every aircraft that went down for Germany lost all its crew. The RAF could more often recover its experienced pilots. The Luftwaffe tactic of bombing London was to draw up as much of the RAF in one go as possible to defeat them in the air. This tactic failed and they had to switch to night bombing.

So the mighty British won the war in 42 by defeating Germany...who knew.
    Do the Americans know this? Rather you tell Trump than me!

Be fair Francie,the Americans were the only one`s in the war if you watch war films-they even captured the `enigma`machine according to a hollywood movie!

Yes, indeed. But Britain played a crucial role, they are well entitled to celebrate their part in the victory.

I’m not saying they didn’t and I’m glad they did as Ireland would’ve been next.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Be fair Francie,the Americans were the only one`s in the war if you watch war films-they even captured the `enigma`machine according to a hollywood movie!

Yeh...I agree. Is this two wrongs make a right again Rob?

RobMc59 wrote: »

That’s was actually the polish.

• Advertisement

Yeh...I agree. Is this two wrongs make a right again Rob?

No,you`re correct in saying it was a combined effort that beat the nazis-I also think the Russians don`t get enough credit by the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

The Germans were highly outnumbered in that battle. The Germans were very badly supplied and short of fuel. The US provided the brits with mountains of supplies for that campaign. Not sure could the brits have won without the supplies from the US.

No doubt it was a major victory but the odds were heavily on the side of the brits. They only could have lost if completely incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Has anyone on this thread made this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Do you feel the same way abour ST Patrick's Day?

Or about the French, Dutch, Danish or Norwegian celebrations of VE day?

The destruction of a regime as disgusting and malignant as Nazi Germany's is always worth celebrating. If people are talking about it being an excuse for British jingoism, well that's another matter, and not one I'd necessarily disagree with, but let's keep the two separate.

(And 8th May is our wedding anniversary. Just in case herself ever reads this...)

That’s highly debatable. German intelligence was rubbish and most bombing raids were not very effective. Britain was significantly outpacing Germany in aircraft production and practically every aircraft that went down for Germany lost all its crew. The RAF could more often recover its experienced pilots. The Luftwaffe tactic of bombing London was to draw up as much of the RAF in one go as possible to defeat them in the air. This tactic failed and they had to switch to night bombing.

No to everything there.

Originally a German bomber crew got lost heading to an airfield attack, it was dark they wanted to get home so they dropped there bombs. They unknowingly dropped them on London or some other city. Bomber command Hit Berlin in reprisal a few nights later, hitler was incensed and he ordered London demolished, this change of tax meant airstrips weren’t destroyed there allowing the RAF to keep a decisive presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

jackboy wrote: »
    The Germans were highly outnumbered in that battle. The Germans were very badly supplied and short of fuel. The US provided the brits with mountains of supplies for that campaign. Not sure could the brits have won without the supplies from the US.

No doubt it was a major victory but the odds were heavily on the side of the brits. They only could have lost if completely incompetent.

I'm no fan of Montgomery but there's nothing wrong with winning like that. Concentration of more force than the enemy at the decisive point is the name of the game. As they say, "Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics" or in another form, "In war if you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong."

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

storker wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Montgomery but there's nothing wrong with winning like that. Concentration of more force than the enemy at the decisive point is the name of the game. As they say, "Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics" or in another form, "In war if you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong."

Yes. The Germans should have stopped after Tobruk and come up with a robust strategy for finishing the job. They got overexcited.

storker wrote: »

The soviets were also getting a huge amounts from the Americans. The Soviet’s had one resource that the others hadn’t, men which they used by the million.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

More than the French Empire ?

More than Imperial Germany ?

germany hasnt been militaristic at all since WW2 and wasnt before WW1 , britain has been for more than five centuries and still is

you dont run an empire for several centuries without a deep militaristic streak running through the culture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Britain (the island of) became one giant aircraft carrier in the lead up to D Day, the RAF, USAF, Royal Navy + combined armies all left the coast of England & headed across the English channel and into enemy territory, ultimately leading to VE Day and the defeat of the Nazis, what's not to commemorate or Celebrate?

Why are we even having this argument?

Advertisement