Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain commemorating VE day

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Born in England

Spent 35 years living in ireland

Have 4 adult children as well as siblings living in ireland.

Joined boards in 2000, moved back to England in 2016.

Should I stop posting on boards now that I no longer live in ireland?
    Yeah ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Born in England

Not at all. Just didn't see the point in you telling someone to stick to the news in their own country while you're here posting in a different country's forum complaining about "another hand wringing good old fashioned brit bashing shìtefest that pops up every few weeks."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Born in England

You are not Irish and you never will be. It's not personal. You just don't have the requisite Celtic soul, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You are not Irish and you never will be. It's not personal. You just don't have the requisite Celtic soul, man.

Never claimed to be, never wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

With only 20 years between the conflicts, we must remember that many of the Black n Tans, and their ilk, probably also fought in WWII. So think twice before you commemorate them as you are also commemorating the black and trans.
    And remember, this is also the same army that murdered, tortured and persecuted thousands in the occupied 6 and continues to do so to this day.

They would of been to old to fight. They were most likely in there 40s and 50s so the only job they would of been used as Air raid wardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Celebrating seems odd. I like what they do in some countries, just have a candle lit in the window to celebrate liberation/end of war. I am however happy to commemorate my Grandad who signed up to the militia in 1938 to get off the dole, and because he was told he could get out earlier. In the end he fought throughout the whole war and got out in 1947 as he was left guarding Prisoners of War for two years.

He rarely talked about the war, except on the odd occasion where he'd had one too many whiskey and gingers! Those times he'd cry, for what he'd seen, his medals were in a drawer and didn't see the light of day until he died.

To have street parties after all this time just seems arbitrary. Like there's a bigger story the establishment would rather not have you thinking about.

I celebrated my grandad, cheers Ernie.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Jizique

cj maxx wrote: »
    I don't resent the UK celebrating the end of WWII, as that war was the biggest event in world history imo.
    However, I do think that it's time to move on from big nationalistic celebrations.
    It's over and while we should never ever forget how it arose it is time,imo,to stop .

My sentiment exactly - plus the fact that the most keen of those doing the celebrations are (a) using war analogies with Brexit, and (b) would run a mile from ever serving near a frontline ala Trump with his bone spurs.
    The English can leave the EU if they wish, no issue there; but portraying the departure in war terms and the ongoing negotiations over the future relationship in similar terms is inappropriate and does nobody any favors, least of all those whose nationalistic flames they have whipped up.
    That, plus the fact that many of them have more in common with the ideals of the nazis, are the reason that they need to move on.

He rarely talked about the war, except on the odd occasion where he'd had one too many whiskey and gingers! Those times he'd cry, for what he'd seen, his medals were in a drawer and didn't see the light of day until he died.

This seems to be the case with a lot of those that fought. They wouldn't talk about it and certainly wouldn't celebrate it. People today that celebrate don't have a clue about the reality of war and what it was like for men like your grandad. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This seems to be the case with a lot of those that fought. They wouldn't talk about it and certainly wouldn't celebrate it. People today that celebrate don't have a clue about the reality of war and what it was like for men like your grandad. May he rest in peace.

Thanks, he was a lovely man, and a great dad to my mum, he genuinely had no interest in even thinking about the war, let alone celebrating killing others because for all the cnuts on both sides, most men there had no stake in it apart from getting out alive. I think the two years guarding the "enemy" cemented that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

[QUOTE=MoonUnit75;113385641 like fire bombing cities almost every night, [/QUOTE]

Like Dresden

• Advertisement

Like Dresden
    The Germans started it. Up to no good again as usual.

When you start something like the second world war , there ain’t no point whinging when you get some nasty back !

No one was celebrating though, it was a commemoration not a celebration.

blinding wrote: »
    Regardless, why are Irish people watching reading so much Brit Media if they are going to whinge about it. Don’t watch or read it ! ! !

Because the the Irish media are being strangled by their green jumpers.

The Germans started it. Up to no good again as usual.

When you start something like the second world war , there ain’t no point whinging when you get some nasty back !

Yes but soldiers are one thing civilians are something else. Was it the people of Corks fault the Tans burned it down.

Yes but soldiers are one thing civilians are something else. Was it the people of Corks fault the Tans burned it down.
    Don’t start something like the second world war unless you are willing to accept the consequences.

The German people did not stop Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Don’t start something like the second world war unless you are willing to accept the consequences.

The German people did not stop Hitler.

who started what and who didn't stop who is irrelevant, it's not justification for murdering civilians.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

who started what and who didn't stop who is irrelevant, it's not justification for murdering civilians.
    The Germans could have surrendered to save their civilians . The chose not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Jizique

In fairness, read Berlin by Anthony Beevor or watch Downfall; and remember there were no elections and the press was more tightly controlled than the UK press currently is by the proTory offshore non tax paying billionaires and try to be realistic in what you post

Jizique wrote: »
    In fairness, read Berlin by Anthony Beevor or watch Downfall; and remember there were no elections and the press was more tightly controlled than the UK press currently is by the proTory offshore non tax paying billionaires and try to be realistic in what you post
    Poor little Germans. Always an excuse for Not doing the Right Thing :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭droidman123

Every Patrick's day, guaranteed, six one news will have a segment showing a pub, 4 or 5 "musicians" in the corner belting out some diddley eye shìte.

Tacky as anything and an annual thing, never hear me complain though. The point is every country has tacky parts to certain things. As I said, if it bothers you that much just switch channels, no one forced you to watch a foreign news programme.

But i never said it bothered me. I said i found it tacky.i also find those green wigs and leprechaun outfits on st.patricks day tacky.i watch rte news,and bbc news and cnn news to get a wide angle on current affairs and will continue to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Odhinn

More specifically, Hitler chose not too. As regards 'stopping Hitler', I might suggest reading "The coming of the Third Reich" by Richard J Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Ultrflat wrote: »
    They would of been to old to fight. They were most likely in there 40s and 50s so the only job they would of been used as Air raid wardens.

What are you talking about?
    Maybe fellas in their 50s but many fellas in their 40s would be very fit and well able to fight. I'm sure their practices in Ireland would make them a good shot at picking off innocent civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

In Germany there was a cult of militarism, large numbers of civilians would have died in either a ground or air campaign in Germany. They were sending the equivalent of Boy Scouts to counterattack in France.

No one was celebrating though, it was a commemoration not a celebration.

If street parties and congas are your idea of commemoration then fair enough. Wouldn't be mine.

But i never said it bothered me. I said i found it tacky.i also find those green wigs and leprechaun outfits on st.patricks day tacky.i watch rte news,and bbc news and cnn news to get a wide angle on current affairs and will continue to do so

I'll lool forward to checking in with you on July 4th to read your complaints about how the American celebrations on Independence Day are "tacky" so.

If street parties and congas are your idea of commemoration then fair enough. Wouldn't be mine.
    Did anyone ask you to go ? ?

Again, a few idiots does not a nation make ;)

Did anyone ask you to go ? ?

Is that a condition for posting in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they couldn't have, hitler had full control until near the end.
    even so, still not justification for deliberately targeting civilians.
    Poor little Germans. Always an excuse for Not doing the Right Thing

more like good old realism, tbh.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You don't think people having street parties and not practising social distancing puts the elderly and vulnerable in danger? Why did we bother having a lockdown then? Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

https://twitter.com/Tucker5law/status/1259079129657466880?s=19

https://twitter.com/GoodPoliceUK/status/1259046608630616065?s=19

Pure stupidity and selfishness as well as tacky.

Exceptionalism

Advertisement