Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain commemorating VE day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I agree with sentiment in this thread that the destruction of the third reich was a black mark on the history of the brits and should not be celebrated

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Street parties everywhere and idiots doing the conga like social distancing never happened. Victory for Coronavirus Day more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Street parties everywhere and idiots doing the conga like social distancing never happened. Victory for Coronavirus Day more like.

Who was doing conga lines? The three street parties I observed were all socially distanced, families sat outside their own houses, music playing, no sharing of food or drinks, even the kids kept their distance from neighbours kids.

Who was doing conga lines? The three street parties I observed were all socially distanced, families sat outside their own houses, music playing, no sharing of food or drinks, even the kids kept their distance from neighbours kids.

Plenty of photos and videos on Twitter of parties where social distancing wasn't observed and food and drinks were shared.

Plenty of photos and videos on Twitter of parties where social distancing wasn't observed and food and drinks were shared.

Ah the old anecdotal "theres pictures" line.

There are plenty of them for every country, it's not just a British thing. My own personal experience is that social distancing was kept, I'm sure some chose to flout this but they would be a tiny minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Why shouldn't the British Celebrate it, 75 years is quite a significant number. I could be wrong but the last time I remember Britain having such a celebration was 25 years ago at the 50th Anniversary of VE Day. I was still living in London at the time, and as a moody teen, I went up to Hyde Park thinking what is this all about. My mind was very quickly changed after getting there and nearly wanted to thank a few of the old blokes personally, for their efforts and sacrifices.

What ever chances there was of any of them being around this weekend, there's none for the 100th Anniversary, which will be a sad sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Seems to be far too much crap seeping into here that should be in current affairs of late

Isn't that what that forum was set up for, to let people do their tedious argument tennis thing as they wish?

Ah the old anecdotal "theres pictures" line.

There are plenty of them for every country, it's not just a British thing. My own personal experience is that social distancing was kept, I'm sure some chose to flout this but they would be a tiny minority.

If you say so. I just don't think people should be having street parties in the middle of a pandemic, whatever the reason. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Whatever about the getting annoyed about the Brits celebrating, the French view of it is ridiculous.
    De gaulle and his focus on having the Free French be recognized as liberating Paris.
    The myth of the French resistance when compared to other countries it was a lot weaker.
    The fact that the French post war made little real effort at removing collaborators, for example the Paris police chief in the 1950's that famously killed a lot of Algerians was a Vichy.

The Brits and allies in general had their faults particularly some pretty outright racist attitudes and betraying the Czechs, but some of the criticisms have to be put in context.
    For example the USSR gutted Poland so presuming the Russians, after the war the free polish got a raw deal but could the UK really offend the USSR.
    Similarly for the slow response to the Nazis the Brits needed time to rearm properly.

If you say so. I just don't think people should be having street parties in the middle of a pandemic, whatever the reason. But each to their own.

Have you seen the video's of people in ireland having them? Some shocking ones doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

My mum and dad are english, some of the family had people die in the war. We always remember them, 3 of my grandads brothers were killed in Tobruc.

The other side of the family were all mine sweepers as they grew up on the water and where sons of fishermen and knew the local waters.
    I remember them simply because its part of my family's tradition.

it's an incredibly emotional time for family who lost love ones for both sides of the familys. I've friends who where German who talk about their granddads surrendering to allied forces and being happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Drifter50 wrote: »
    There is so much more to this and it is important especially for the thousands of sons, daughters, relations whose family members were lost in the war. Both my parents were Irish and joined the British Armed Forces.
    ...........Poppies are a major event for me in November and will remain so. It will be interesting to see the level of respect shown by the Americans for VJ day in a few weeks

If it bothers you leave it alone for everyone else and let them mark it in their own way. Just remember if it was`nt for the British sacrifices and standing firm against the Nazi`s, we might all be still under authoritarian rule

It's your own perogative if you want to be a West Brit. Go right ahead. But don't expect to get any thanks for it here.

But how do you, as an "Irish" reconcile all you've said all that you have said and your gra for Sasana with the fact that it was those same poppy wearing British that oppressed the Irish nation for over 800 years, inflicted a number of genocides and kept us from having any sort of religious or political liberty?
    Perhaps you are not as Irish as your claim? Might you be Anglo Irish by any chance with that sort of mindset?

As far as I'm concerned, and I think a lot of people would agree, the British and in particular the English, got their just deserts in WWII for the centuries of persecution and oppression that they inflicted on Ireland and other countries around the world. I'd not have much sympathy.

With only 20 years between the conflicts, we must remember that many of the Black n Tans, and their ilk, probably also fought in WWII. So think twice before you commemorate them as you are also commemorating the black and trans.
    And remember, this is also the same army that murdered, tortured and persecuted thousands in the occupied 6 and continues to do so to this day.

Irish people who wear poppies don't deserve to call themselves irish.

Even after the war when Irish people went to England to work in construction they were oppressed and treated like animals. Called Paddys, Micks, etc.

Even in 1921 the when the Irish Republic was won fair and square, they couldn't even give us that, instead they opted for humiliating the country with a 26 county "Free" State. The men of 1916 and the generations before that have their lives for Ireland didn't die for a Free State.

I think you should be ashamed to call yourself Irish with your attitude and sympathising with na Sasanaigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don't resent the UK celebrating the end of WWII, as that war was the biggest event in world history imo.
    However, I do think that it's time to move on from big nationalistic celebrations.
    It's over and while we should never ever forget how it arose it is time,imo,to stop .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ultrflat wrote: »

it's an incredibly emotional time for family who lost love ones for both sides of the familys. I've friends who where German who talk about their granddads surrendering to allied forces and being happy about it.

Happy to surrender to British and Americans. Soviets, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Could we not just switch from BBC to RTE when this sort thing is on if it bothers people so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's your own perogative if you want to be a West Brit. Hi right ahead.
    But how do you, as an "Irish" reconcile all you've said all that you have said and your apartment gra for Sasana with the fact that it was those same British that oppressed the Irish nation for over 800 years, inflicted a number of genocides and kept us from having any sort of religious or political liberty?
    Perhaps you are not as Irish as your claim? Might you be Anglo Irish by any chance?

As far as I'm concerned, and I think a lot of people world agree, the British and in particular the English, got their just deserts in WWII for the centuries of persecution and oppression that they inflicted on Ireland and other countries around the world.

Even in 1921 the when the Irish Republic was won fair and square, they couldn't even give us that, instead humiliating the country with a 26 county "Free" State.

So many barstooler clichés in one post, where to even begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It's your own perogative if you want to be a West Brit. Hi right ahead.
    But how do you, as an "Irish" reconcile all you've said all that you have said and your apartment gra for Sasana with the fact that it was those same British that oppressed the Irish nation for over 800 years, inflicted a number of genocides and kept us from having any sort of religious or political liberty?
    Perhaps you are not as Irish as your claim? Might you be Anglo Irish by any chance?

As far as I'm concerned, and I think a lot of people world agree, the British and in particular the English, got their just deserts in WWII for the centuries of persecution and oppression that they inflicted o n Ireland and other countries around the world.

Even in 1921 the when the Irish Republic was won fair and square, they couldn't even give us that, instead humiliating the country with a 26 county "Free" State.

Really:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Don't want this to come across the wrong way but will they ever move on?

What are they going to move on to?
    it was their last gasp as a world power, as an Empire and as a "winner".

Barring Argentine ineptitude and British luck in the Falklands, it was the last example of British military relevance on the World Stage.

VJ day should be recognised more as a US/Chinese/Indian victory, despite the 14th Army's contributions.
    The US pacific campaign and nuclear bomb and the Chinese since '37 contributed far more to the defeat of Japan than the British.

The British suffered their greatest military ignominy and defeats in the Far East, Singapore and the retreat to India are very rarely discussed and few pay any heed.
    The great British talent of muddling through and awaiting the arrival of allies once again bought them a victory.

cj maxx wrote: »
    I don't resent the UK celebrating the end of WWII, as that war was the biggest event in world history imo.
    However, I do think that it's time to move on from big nationalistic celebrations.
    It's over and while we should never ever forget how it arose it is time,imo,to stop .

It's not a celebration it's a commemoration.

There would be very few families in the U.K who would be unaffected by WW2. Every year there are less people alive that fought and one day soon there will be none.

So many barstooler clichés in one post, where to even begin?

It actually gave me a chuckle.

• Advertisement

Have you seen the video's of people in ireland having them? Some shocking ones doing the rounds.

Yeah shocking but at least we didn't pretend to celebrate our veterans while simultaneously putting them in danger. For once, the Brits could have had a quiet sombre remembrance instead of tacky street parties, but that's simply not in their nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭droidman123

Yeah shocking but at least we didn't pretend to celebrate our veterans while simultaneously putting them in danger. For once, the Brits could have had a quiet sombre remembrance instead of tacky street parties, but that's simply not in their nature.

Agreed,it was cringy to see some if them dress up in 1940,s garb and singing "we,ll meet again" makes the whole thing so tacky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

LeYouth wrote: »
    I'll tell you what's funny - is the Irish government having ceremonies for it.
    Our West Brit Leaders are very upset that many many Irish lifes were not sacrificed. Especially working class people. A bit embarrassed by the whole Show, don’t Ya know ! ! !

Yeah shocking but at least we didn't pretend to celebrate our veterans while simultaneously putting them in danger.

How were they put in danger?
    For once, the Brits could have had a quiet sombre remembrance instead of tacky street parties, but that's simply not in their nature.

Tacky street parties :rolleyes:

Care to show/tell me what was "tacky" about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's the last big anniversary where those who participated are likely to be alive. It's the second world war i think we should just respect it and mind our own business.

They have a perfect right to celebrate it. They gave up a lot and sacrificed many people and I am not sure why it would bother anyone that they commemorate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭droidman123

How were they put in danger?

Tacky street parties :rolleyes:

Care to show/tell me what was "tacky" about them?

Dressing up in 1940,s clothes and singing we,ll meet again is the tacky

It's the last big anniversary where those who participated are likely to be alive. It's the second world war i think we should just respect it and mind our own business.

They have a perfect right to celebrate it. They gave up a lot and sacrificed many people and I am not sure why it would bother anyone that they commemorate it.

Because it's "da brits" and boards armchair Republicans have to get their daily dose of brit bashing in to themselves feel good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Seems to be a few around disappointed that those Nice Nazis did not win ! ! !:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

blinding wrote: »
    Our West Brit Leaders are very upset that many many Irish lifes were not sacrificed. Especially working class people. A bit embarrassed by the whole Show, don’t Ya know ! ! !

I'd agree. Sure look at the way they were saying we should commemorate the black n Tans. But sure what else would you expect from the same faction that accepted the Free State, essentially becoming the agents of the British in the 26, doing their bidding and picking up where the Brits left off, terrorising and shooting Irish people who held out for the ideal of the Irish Republic. The Brits even supplied the National Army with the weaponry and advisors to do it.

And as for the Nazis, if they were to land on Irish shores they'd have got the same treatment as the Brits who went before them. The Irish would not make it easy for them.

• Advertisement

Dressing up in 1940,s clothes and singing we,ll meet again is the tacky

Was this a couple of people? Was it part of a segment being filmed? Are you saying every street party had this because I certainly didn't see anything like that.

Advertisement