Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain commemorating VE day

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I'd agree. Sure look at the way they were saying we should commemorate the black n Tans. But sure what else would you expect from the same faction that accepted the Free State, essentially becoming the agents of the British in the 26, doing their bidding and picking up where the Brits left off, terrorising and shooting Irish people who held out for the ideal of the Irish Republic.
    They regret that their Mammies and Daddies were not allowed to sacrifice working class Irish People ! ! !

Sure look at how much more slobbering, bowing and scraping the Likes of Bruton could have been doing to British Royalty had they sacrificed Irish People ( other Irish people obviously, not the fine stock they are themselves, obviously ):eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

How were they put in danger?

Tacky street parties :rolleyes:

Care to show/tell me what was "tacky" about them?

You don't think people having street parties and not practising social distancing puts the elderly and vulnerable in danger? Why did we bother having a lockdown then? Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

https://twitter.com/Tucker5law/status/1259079129657466880?s=19

https://twitter.com/GoodPoliceUK/status/1259046608630616065?s=19

Pure stupidity and selfishness as well as tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Agreed,it was cringy to see some if them dress up in 1940,s garb and singing "we,ll meet again" makes the whole thing so tacky

Tacky like Lepreachaun hats and waving inflatable tri colour hammers on Paddys Day then? What degree of celebration would be acceptable for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

cj maxx wrote: »
    I don't resent the UK celebrating the end of WWII, as that war was the biggest event in world history imo.
    However, I do think that it's time to move on from big nationalistic celebrations.
    It's over and while we should never ever forget how it arose it is time,imo,to stop .

Nothing wrong with nationalistic celebrations.

Nothing wrong with nationalism.

WWII didn't happen because of nationalism, it happened because of Germany.

Time to stop Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tacky like Lepreachaun hats and waving inflatable tri colour hammers on Paddys Day then? What degree of celebration would be acceptable for you?

Only tourists wear those hats.

:D

• Advertisement

The Germans up to No Good as Usual ! ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

endacl wrote: »
    Only tourists wear those hats.

:D

At one time yes, Irish wouldn't be seen dead in them, they are normal supporters wear at international matches now.

Nothing wrong with nationalistic celebrations.

Nothing wrong with nationalism.

WWII didn't happen because of nationalism, it happened because of Germany.

Time to stop Germany.
    Nothing wrong with patriotism. Plenty wrong with nationalism.

Orwell had some thoughts you might be interested in.

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/notes-on-nationalism/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

blinding wrote: »
    They regret that their Mammies and Daddies were not allowed to sacrifice working class Irish People ! ! !

Sure look at how much more slobbering, bowing and scraping the Likes of Bruton could have been doing to British Royalty had they sacrificed Irish People ( other Irish people obviously, not the fine stock they are themselves, obviously ):eek::eek::eek:

100%

And the Brits offered to give back the occupied 6 in exchange for the sacrifice of thousands of Irish lives to assist them in the war.
    Thankfully that "offer" wasn't taken up. Again, with a republic arguably in place since 1937 the Brits still saw it as their right to "send in the Irish", thinking that they could get us to bow to them in exchange for the occupied 6. Luckily the government at the time had enough spine to decline this probably hollow offer.

If Irish lives were to be given up to achieve the 32 county Republic then they ought to be given up for just that, not by proxy and in the name of the British. There are current martyrs and generations to come that will last down their lives for Ireland if need be.

At one time yes, Irish wouldn't be seen dead in them, they are normal supporters wear at international matches now.
    Well, the way the team has been playing you want something that would stop you watching the performance ! ! !:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You don't think people having street parties and not practising social distancing puts the elderly and vulnerable in danger? Why did we bother having a lockdown then? Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

https://twitter.com/Tucker5law/status/1259079129657466880?s=19

https://twitter.com/GoodPoliceUK/status/1259046608630616065?s=19

Pure stupidity and selfishness as well as tacky.

Yup, stupid, a few people do this and you think it's ok to bash a whole nation. Well done.

It's a good job there aren't idiots in ireland otherwise I would have to make idiotic claims about how everyone is putting the elderly at risk.

Oh wait......

https://www.irishpost.com/news/watch-anger-dozens-attend-hours-long-street-party-dublin-estate-183928

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/coronavirus-ireland-dublin-party-gardai-18199786.amp

They’re football supporters though. They bring the overall smartness index down and skew results, and would be disegarded in any reputable study.

100%

And the Brits offered to give back the occupied 6 in exchange for the sacrifice of thousands of Irish lives to assist them in the war.
    Thankfully that "offer" wasn't taken up. Again, with a republic arguably in place since 1937 the Brits still saw it as their right to "send in the Irish", thinking that they could get us to bow to them in exchange for the occupied 6. Luckily the government at the time had enough spine to decline this probably hollow offer.
    We should have taken the 6 back and sent the Loyalists ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Which would be of little consolation to the victims of US war crimes in Vietnam.

Strange how Merkel ignores those victims.

Can you please explain what your point here is because I've read it a couple of times and am still confused.

Yup, stupid, a few people do this and you think it's ok to bash a whole nation. Well done.

It's a good job there aren't idiots in ireland otherwise I would have to make idiotic claims about how everyone is putting the elderly at risk.

Oh wait......

https://www.irishpost.com/news/watch-anger-dozens-attend-hours-long-street-party-dublin-estate-183928

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/coronavirus-ireland-dublin-party-gardai-18199786.amp

This thread isn't about Ireland though.

blinding wrote: »
    We should have taken the 6 back and sent the Loyalists ;););)

True enough, good idea.

Take em back and send off all the West Brits and protestants too with them. They'd probably be happy to go off to their deaths for their British masters.

This thread isn't about Ireland though.

You're right, it's just another hand wringing good old fashioned brit bashing shìtefest that pops up every few weeks.

Sorry, but I thought pointing out hypocrisy would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

endacl wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with patriotism. Plenty wrong with nationalism.

Orwell had some thoughts you might be interested in.

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/notes-on-nationalism/

No, thanks.

Orwell's polemic (written in 1945) required him to lay out definitions to suit his purpose. Just because he has exaggerated the distinction between the two, doesn't mean we must accept them.

Patriotism of course, etymologically speaking, comes from the Greek 'patris' meaning 'fatherland'.

We all know where that got us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭droidman123

Was this a couple of people? Was it part of a segment being filmed? Are you saying every street party had this because I certainly didn't see anything like that.

I seen random people doing it in various locations on the 10.00pm bbc news last night. It was cringy and also ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Agreed,it was cringy to see some if them dress up in 1940,s garb and singing "we,ll meet again" makes the whole thing so tacky

So what? If they want to dress up let them. It's their celebration. They fought and won a horrible war. Who cares if their celebrations are not classy enough.

• Advertisement

I seen random people doing it in various locations on the 10.00pm bbc news last night. It was cringy and also ridiculous

Maybe stick to news from your own country, then you wont have to suffer will you ;)

So what? If they want to dress up let them. It's their celebration. They fought and won a horrible war. Who cares if their celebrations are not classy enough.

I dont care if they run around in charlie chaplin outfits.i just gave my opinion that i thought it was tacky to see some of them dressed up in 1940,s clothes and singing vera lynne songs.

Maybe stick to news from your own country, then you wont have to suffer will you ;)

Who said i was suffering? Strange thing to say

I dont care if they run around in charlie chaplin outfits.i just gave my opinion that i thought it was tacky to see some of them dressed up in 1940,s clothes and singing vera lynne songs.

Every Patrick's day, guaranteed, six one news will have a segment showing a pub, 4 or 5 "musicians" in the corner belting out some diddley eye shìte.

Tacky as anything and an annual thing, never hear me complain though. The point is every country has tacky parts to certain things. As I said, if it bothers you that much just switch channels, no one forced you to watch a foreign news programme.

Exactly. Why would an Irish person intentionally watch imported British TV. I refuse to watch BBC.

No, thanks.

Orwell's polemic (written in 1945) required him to lay out definitions to suit his purpose. Just because he has exaggerated the distinction between the two, doesn't mean we must accept them.

Patriotism of course, etymologically speaking, comes from the Greek 'patris' meaning 'fatherland'.

We all know where that got us.
    Those Germans, up to No Good as Usual !

Are there Brits here posting on an Irish forum telling us to stick to watching the news from our own country? The irony if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Zebra3 wrote: »
    As Robert Fisk pointed out, the British have an unhealthy obsession with WWII because it's one of the few wars that they can see themselves as the good guys in.

Essentially, yes.

Are there Brits here posting on an Irish forum telling us to stick to watching the news in our own country? The irony if so.

Born in England

Spent 35 years living in ireland

Have 4 adult children as well as siblings living in ireland.

Joined boards in 2000, moved back to England in 2016.

Should I stop posting on boards now that I no longer live in ireland?

• Advertisement

Are there Brits here posting on an Irish forum telling us to stick to watching the news in our own country? The irony if so.
    Regardless, why are Irish people watching reading so much Brit Media if they are going to whinge about it. Don’t watch or read it ! ! !

Advertisement