Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah, I was just taking the piss out of Zara King there. She didn't ask today, but most days she asks about hairdressers.

She just asked the same question that's been asked 5 times previously and got the same answer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Nolan is very positive and I have to say and unapologetically so which is great to see.

Dr Tony doing his normal negative routine now.
    The best he gives is that if everything keeps up we can get through the stages as planned.
    He is really draining my energy.

I don't think it's negative more cautious. He has to warn against complacency and has to reinforce the measures need to be followed. Not sure how many of the general public watch these so if he can only convey this message to public via media it's fair enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Were they dressed up in their colours for a non-existent match? How did you notice them?

I've been around Italians before when I was younger, pre and post football matches. It's easy when you know some of the language. Like when you can spot Spanish tourists, French, German by knowing parts of their language

Does that justify it enough, Lieutenant justify yourself to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

fritzelly wrote: »
    She just asked the same question that's been asked 5 times previously and got the same answer

Is that her? I think she got her questions in early. There's another female journalist who sounds just like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is that her? I think she got her questions in early. There's another female journalist who sounds just like her.

In previous briefings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I understand and agree with your main point. I think people wearing masks year round in Japan too plays a part. Was there in October and loads were wearing them. Could also be similar to NZ, island nation that can control its borders compared to us being in EU, free movement of travel, travel from UK/NI etc.

Many European countries declared an emergency and closed their borders. Czech Republic is an example, closed their borders face masks mandatory on public transport and in shops since March 9th. Interestingly only a few weeks ago on Primetime there was two Irish experts Cillian DeGascun (hope I spelt it right ) and a University professor pretty much rubbished the idea of face masks whilst a Czech Professor on screen behind them extolled the virtues of how masks caused the infection rate to plummet in the Czech Republic. As an aside most of the Czech restrictions are lifted and citizens can go on holidays to select European countries ( Ireland not being one of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Based on confirmed cases per day, Thats still alot of people who are still dying every day RIP

According to Seamus Coffey's analysis, deaths on RIP.ie are now very close to normal levels (within a couple of deaths per day).

The official figures will take time to catch up with this due to the reporting delays. Also, because all nursing home residents have been tested there will be some deaths registered as Covid deaths who in reality would have died anyway.

So, basically ignore the daily death announcement data, it's not telling the true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Nope or not yet anyway. Waterford will continue to be sullied by association with Dublin, Kildare etc

Varadker already said that it's a possibility.
    But, like you say, if Dublin is a hot spot, opening surrounding counties might not be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Can other parts of the country open up quicker than others - like maybe specifically my local hairdressers, for example?

Not aimed at you but I saw a great tweet a few weeks back. Truth. :pac:

968801-D2-56-A9-460-D-882-F-19-EA975-D34-FA.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭political analyst

Whilst an inquiry will most likely happen, the outcome will be no one accountable the fault will lie with a systematic failure and lessons will be learned.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/pearse-doherty-public-inquiry-into-nursing-home-deaths-inevitable-1002217.html

Our politicians will put the blame on Boris for our deaths for letting the Cheltenham races go ahead.

• Advertisement

Would be like Mad Max if pubs were open in one county.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Nope or not yet anyway. Waterford will continue to be sullied by association with Dublin, Kildare etc

Do you want M9 clogged with potentially diseased undergroomed Dubs looking to get their haircut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Look out for this woman

35eGZ.jpg

It's Zara King

• Registered Users Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Eod100 wrote: »
    I don't think it's negative more cautious. He has to warn against complacency and has to reinforce the measures need to be followed. Not sure how many of the general public watch these so if he can only convey this message to public via media it's fair enough I think.

People have been saying this for months and it needs to stop.
    The public have done their part and more, they have never got 'complacent'.
    Tony thinks of the public as some sort of Plebs.

Nolan was saying the opposite, that it was very obvious the public were distancing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many European countries declared an emergency and closed their borders. Czech Republic is an example, closed their borders face masks mandatory on public transport and in shops since March 9th. Interestingly only a few weeks ago on Primetime there was two Irish experts Cillian DeGascun (hope I spelt it right ) and a University professor pretty much rubbished the idea of face masks whilst a Czech Professor on screen behind them extolled the virtues of how masks caused the infection rate to plummet in the Czech Republic. As an aside most of the Czech restrictions are lifted and citizens can go on holidays to select European countries ( Ireland not being one of them).

We don't actually know if wearing of masks is a factor or how much of a factor. Saying "the Czech Rep has a low number of cases and everyone wears a mask, therefore facemasks are obviously the reason their cases are low" may not actually be backed by evidence.

It's possible that it's bringing case numbers down but not by as much as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why is it that journalists automatically take the side of NHI? Not surprised they get robust pushback on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I saw that episode of Prime Time. I wouldn't agree that they rubbished face masks, more that they stressed that face masks weren't as effective as the other measures like hand hygiene, social distancing and that face masks are counter productive if people wear and adjust them incorrectly. And a lot of people do use them incorrectly.

I don't think they disputed that facial coverings/masks are certainly helpful, but only in conjunction with existing measures and if used correctly.

Yeah I think there are questions about why some measures were not introduced earlier than they were. I think face coverings and passenger information form being mandatory should have been brought in from the start but maybe it's not that simple. You'd think coverings would be most effective when more cases are in community say.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Do you want M9 clogged with potentially diseased undergroomed Dubs looking to get their haircut.
    Sure you get that every time the Dubs play away from home!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

Yeah I get that,

Just wondering after spending 11 weeks quarantined in their rooms, how are they Getting infected.

It has to be transmitted by staff and any new cases breaking out in care homes should have an immediate inspection of their work practices and safety procedures.

I know of workers who are still doing shifts in more than one residential centre. Wonder if this could be the cause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

is_that_so wrote: »
    Why is it that journalists automatically take the side of NHI? Not surprised they get robust pushback on it.
    Nursing Homes Ireland seem to be playing all innocent when it is quite clear that the majority of nursing homes that were affected were woefully under-prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure you get that every time the Dubs play away from home!

So, once a year then? :pac:

People have been saying this for moth and it needs to stop.

Nolan was saying the opposite, that it was very obvious the public were distancing themselves.

I never said they had, my point was he needs to reinforce that the measures still need to be followed to prevent any complacency however low that risk is.

I agree public have played their part and Holohan even said that compliance has been very high, the message is to keep it up really not anything negative or critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

MOR316 wrote: »
    I've been around Italians before when I was younger, pre and post football matches. It's easy when you know some of the language. Like when you can spot Spanish tourists, French, German by knowing parts of their language

Does that justify it enough, Lieutenant justify yourself to me?

Haha, at ease Corporal. I was around town that weekend too but i wasn't eavesdropping on conversations so probably didnt pick up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Look out for this woman

35eGZ.jpg

It's Zara King

She wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

People have been saying this for moth and it needs to stop.

A lot of social gatherings the last few days in parks and other outdoor recreation facilities near me
    Of groups greater than 10

It is much better to err on the side of caution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0527/1142809-social-distancing/
    Fianna Fáil's Jim O'Callaghan called for restrictions to be lifted "sooner rather than later".

He said he is concerned that too much responsibility is being "casually delegated by Government to public health advisers."

Mr O'Callaghan said the Government has been "extremely cautious" to date and while the restrictions made sense in March, the process of lifting them should be expedited.

He said that the purpose of the restrictions was to stop intensive care units being overrun but they are now being used as a means to stopping people getting sick.

Mr O'Callaghan said it was also important to recognise that it is the responsibility of public health advisers to give public health advice. "It is not their job to weigh that public health advice with other factors - that is the job of Government."

He said there is a dichotomy taking place between people who are financially secure and people who are financially insecure.

On Monday, Dr Holohan said that the two-metre guidance is not a hard and fast rule, but added that his team thought it was a "reasonable compromise" given where we are currently at with the coronavirus containment.

Does Varadkar not care about ordinary people's livelihoods? Why is he afraid of the idea of reducing the rule to one or one-and-a-half metres? He's only a caretaker Taoiseach - so what has he got to lose?! Doesn't he know that advice is just that - advice?! Let the restaurants and hotels reopen!

I don't know why the Politicians and Health experts cannot just come out and say the obvious- that the disease is dying out (for now) and we can say that lifting restrictions has no effect on the spread of the disease (not just us but in all the other countries that have opened up weeks ago).

So lets open up a bit more quickly while maintaining some caution.

It's a good news story that can be claimed by all as a victory, but they are still trying to pretend that the disease is still a huge risk and massively prevalent in the community and that our own little world must stop as a result.

A lot of social gatherings the last few days in parks and other outdoor recreation facilities near me
    Of groups greater than 10

It is much better to err on the side of caution

It's been widely reported at this stage that there is almost no risk of catching the disease in outdoor settings, so really, who cares?

• Advertisement

Nursing Homes Ireland seem to be playing all innocent when it is quite clear that the majority of nursing homes that were affected were woefully under-prepared.
    Oh yeah, somewhat holier than thou in all of this! A whole lot of issues to be examined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement