Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Actually I do, several pages back I said an enquiry will make a finding of systematic failings and lessons will be learned but no one accountable. At the moment though there is a sustained attempt to lay the blame squarely at the private facilities.

As far as I've seen for weeks now it's private facilities laying the blame at the State's door and accepting no responsibility whatsoever. The CEO of NHI said as much in the Dáil the other day.

But they'll continue to take their 1,200 euro a week and their service charges from residents. Shocking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Uriel. wrote: »
    As far as I've seen for weeks now it's private facilities laying the blame at the State's door and accepting no responsibility whatsoever. The CEO of NHI said as much in the Dáil the other day.

But they'll continue to take their 1,200 euro a week and their service charges from residents. Shocking really.
    HIQA are the ones who license them and supposedly look after that part of the sector. It's all one big mess but NHI have got their retaliation in early and often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Uriel. wrote: »

This isn't a private facility.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0425/1134808-stmary-hospitals-deaths/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why? The mask is, in the first instance, to protect others, not yourself. Just because it’s been on your chin it doesn’t mean it suddenly stops capturing droplets if you sneeze.

How can it stop the droplets if your mask is down by your chin also how can it stop your droplets at the same time.

Also everytime they put up and down the mask they are touching the mask and there face with there hands which could have touched god knows what in the time between touching it

How can it stop the droplets if your mask is down by your chin also how can it stop your droplets at the same time.

Also everytime they put up and down the mask they are touching the mask and there face with there hands which could have touched god knows what in the time between touching it

You said masks are on people’s chins while they’re outside. And there is no need for a mask outside anyway. As long as they pull it up when they enter the store then that’s great

And as for touching the mask, that is the wearer’s issue, not yours. It will still stop droplets from being sneezing or coughed on you in an enclosed space. I really don’t see the problem in what you describe, and I know that I have done the same plenty of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Arghus wrote: »
    Widely reported?

Almost no risk? No, it's been suggested that there's less risk compared to indoor settings - that's not the same thing as "no risk." And there isn't conclusive data one way or the other.

Prime time just now has expert virologists saying exactly what I said.

In fact one of the sources they quoted is one from a study in China I posted on this board over a months ago

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113263620&postcount=1209

[QUOTE=Just a reminder that there are zero cases of spread in an outdoor environment according to one big study
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....04.20053058v1

Three hundred and eighteen outbreaks with three or more cases were identified, involving 1245 confirmed cases in 120 prefectural cities. We divided the venues in which the outbreaks occurred into six categories: homes, transport, food, entertainment, shopping, and miscellaneous. Among the identified outbreaks, 53.8% involved three cases, 26.4% involved four cases, and only 1.6% involved ten or more cases. Home outbreaks were the dominant category (254 of 318 outbreaks; 79.9%), followed by transport (108; 34.0%; note that many outbreaks involved more than one venue category). Most home outbreaks involved three to five cases. We identified only a single outbreak in an outdoor environment, which involved two cases.

The insistence on blaming people going outside is just a tactic to cover up government failure in controlling spread in places they should have been controlling.[/QUOTE]

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

Arghus wrote: »
    Widely reported?

Almost no risk? No, it's been suggested that there's less risk compared to indoor settings - that's not the same thing as "no risk." And there isn't conclusive data one way or the other.

Robert Dingwall, professor of Sociology in Nottingham University on Prime time just now saying that 'The risk of spread of Covid 19 in outdoors environment is close to Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Robert Dingwall, professor of Sociology in Nottingham University on Prime time just now saying that 'The risk of spread of Covid 19 in outdoors environment is close to Zero.

Was just watching that, he fairly dismissed what De Gascun had said just before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So 40% of cases today are still community transfer.
    Did I hear that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tom1ie wrote: »
    Did I hear that right?

My understanding of the stats are... 40% of all, from the start are community. This used to be 60%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

According to De Gascun it can stay in the air for a couple of hours if an infected person sheds doplets. What a load of shíte.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Did I hear that right?
    That means that the test took place in a testing center, not community transmission.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    According to De Gascun it can stay in the air for a couple of hours if an infected person sheds doplets. What a load of shíte.

In an an indoor environment with no airflow.
    It's not applicable to an outdoor environment at all.

The whole policy of keeping people indoors is proving to have been a complete farce. But any person with a modicum of common sense could have told you that in the first place.
    Thankfully the science is now backing up the common sense.

mloc123 wrote: »
    My understanding of the stats are... 40% of all, from the start are community. This used to be 60%?

Yes, virtually all of the cases in the last 2 weeks are from Meat plants, Hospitals and care homes/asylum homes etc.

I wish one of our useless journalists would ask this question and push the point.

Dingwall quickly told him he was pretty wrong. He said De Gascun was inferring that air didn't move

Dingwall quickly told him he was pretty wrong. He said De Gascun was inferring that air didn't move

Air doesn't move, LOL.

mloc123 wrote: »

Did he not specifically say “from the figures today”
    If so that’s not very encouraging.
    I hope I misheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

He does talk some ****e. Keeps going on about how the risk of covid spreading outside is not zero. The risk of being hit by lightning is not zero.

Why is he pushing keeping the restrictions in outdoor activities? it’s obviously not for health reasons. What’s he getting out of it?

• Advertisement

That means that the test took place in a testing center, not community transmission.

What?

What?
    This has been explained multiple times.

Community transmission =/= tranmission of the virus in the community.

Community transmission = an infected person who does not know where they got infected, they cannot be tracked.

Transmission in the community = any infection that occurs outside of hospitals, long term residential settings etc.

The percentage referenced refers to transmission in the community, as it has been said many many times, transmission in the community has been 'extinguished'.

Did he not specifically say “from the figures today”
    If so that’s not very encouraging.
    I hope I misheard.

Nope, he always starts with the figures from today and then starts to talk of overall stats from the start.
    That's why people are always asking for them to tell us where and how the deaths and infections are coming from each day.

It can be worked out by studying in detail the stats of the HSE each day (see the posts of Shineon07 in the mathematics thread) and comparing to the previous day.

In the last 2 or 3 weeks there have been close to no infections in normal everyday setting an deaths have been almost exclusively confined to care homes (in some cases counting deaths from months ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The percentage referenced refers to transmission in the community, as it has been said many many times, transmission in the community has been 'extinguished'.
    Where does it say community transmission has been extinguished?
    Can you give me a link to the HSE or other official department source that stated this?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can you give me a link to the HSE or other official department source that stated this?
    Community transmission is 'very, very low' says the chief medical officer.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-community-transmission-5102798-May2020/
    In broad terms, we have effectively extinguished it from the community in general, right across the country. Much of the caseload that is now being reported is seen in the context of particular settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What's that got to do with the original post?

Community transmission = an infected person who does not know where they got infected, they cannot be tracked.

Transmission in the community = any infection that occurs outside of hospitals, long term residential settings etc.

I haven’t been on this forum for a while so no need for the tone thanks.

So basically the 40% that he referenced from today’s stats have occurred outside hospitals and long term residential settings etc but they do know where they got the virus correct?

eagle eye wrote: »

That was over a week ago
    https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-community-transmission-5102798-May2020/

fritzelly wrote: »
    What's that got to do with the original post?
    He said community transfer. Transfer is a synonym for transmission. The statement was false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

He said community transfer. Transfer is a synonym for transmission. The statement was false.

That original post makes absolutely zero sense - maybe you should reread it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement