Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Is the rte camera man's zoom button broken?

A lot of confusion, is it 8 or 9 deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Arghus wrote: »
    Sign language girl looking well today, just to indulge in my inner knuckle dragger.

I wonder what the sign language is for knuckle dragger? 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

~ 50% of new cases are related to outbreaks in households

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cases are down, things are looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Based on confirmed cases per day, Thats still alot of people who are still dying every day RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Great to see the case numbers going down again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Cases are down, thongs are looking good.

All hail thongs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

MOR316 wrote: »
    All hail thongs

Freudian slip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Rugby supporters, let's not forget the thousands who went to Cheltenham and the Liverpool champions League match. Our borders never closed.

The match was cancelled though so I don't know how many made it over. Maybe it was thousands but not sure who was counting. I think total number who would be going before this would be 5 to 10k so be interesting to know how many of that figure actually did make it over. Just thousands roaming the streets makes them seem like some sort of zombie horde or something.

We had some no doubt, but you'd wonder how many traveled in the end after the match was cancelled and with all that was going on over in Italy at that moment. Are Italian rugby fans known for travelling in massive numbers even in the best of times?

It's possible that we had thousands, but I wonder did we actually have as many as that.

There were a lot of people going to Ski resorts in Italy too. I'm from a very small town and I couldn't believe how many from here went.

People gave out about people going to the pub for a pint in March...Not what they should have directed their anger at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Based on confirmed cases per day, Thats still alot of people who are still dying every day RIP

They are older people who have been probably fighting it for a long time, or like yesterday historic deaths (7 of yesterdays 17 were from march).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"You're a predicting man."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There were a lot of people going to Ski resorts in Italy too. I'm from a very small town and I couldn't believe how many from here went.

People gave out about people going to the pub for a pint in March...Not what they should have directed their anger at

And that's just people travelling to/from Italy. Let's not forget that Spain and France and Germany (and later the UK) weren't that far behind. As for the pints, two wrongs don't make one right.

Prof. Nolan seems pretty confident this is good

Eod100 wrote: »
    The match was cancelled though so I don't know how many made it over. Maybe it was thousands but not sure who was counting. I think total number who would be going before this would be 5 to 10k so be interesting to know how many of that figure actually did make it over. Just thousands roaming the streets makes them seem like some sort of zombie horde or something.

I was in the city that weekend. I came across a few but, not as many as if there was a match taking place.

Did they already live here? Were they over for the weekend? Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

76 new residential home cases in the last few days. Another explanation for the increases last few days.

Really odd since all residential homes have been closed to visitors since March 12th, people quarantined in their rooms and all testing supposed to have been done a few weeks ago

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Really odd since all residential homes have been closed to visitors since March 12th and all testing supposed to have been done a few weeks ago
    The testing hasn't stopped afaik, this is an ongoing thing

I was in the city that weekend. I came across a few but, not as many as if there was a match taking place.

Yeah I think that's the other side of it. People seriously underestimate how many people from other countries live here especially in Dublin. Unless they're wondering around in Italy gear (and even then) or there was a massive influx compared to usual, it's hard to know for definite how many did travel.

Can other parts of the country open up quicker than others - like maybe specifically my local hairdressers, for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eod100 wrote: »

Whatever about my choice of words sorry if it gives a false image but many came as they had paid for their flight and accommodation. We also had thousands of Irish at both Cheltenham and a Liverpool both of which has been admitted in the UK as contributing to needless Covid deaths there. So it is within reason that if these two UK events were a factor in some UK Covid it's logical to assume some deaths here were also a result of these same sporting events.
    It leads me back to your original comment about cases in Ireland and Japan. Japan closed their borders to high risk travellers, we had individuals travel to a high risk area and visitors from a high risk area.
    Apologies for the long response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Prof. Nolan seems pretty confident this is good

Nolan is very positive and I have to say and unapologetically so which is great to see.

Dr Tony doing his normal negative routine now.
    The best he gives is that if everything keeps up we can get through the stages as planned.
    He is really draining my energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Were they dressed up in their colours for a non-existent match? How did you notice them?

Hindsight is everything but not sure why gov didn't ask people to self-isolate earlier when coming back from high risk areas.

I remember at the start HSE were saying they would be in airport to monitor things for any direct flights from Wuhan to Ireland. I'm not even sure if there are any direct flights. Think there might have been 1 a day to London so maybe it's impossible to do much even if there were temperature checks which I don't think there ever were.

Figure of new cases is 46, but the total only adds 38. Not sure why there's so many tests being de-notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Rugby supporters, let's not forget the thousands who went to Cheltenham and the Liverpool champions League match. Our borders never closed.

And Manchester derby as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The testing hasn't stopped afaik, this is an ongoing thing

Yeah I get that,

Just wondering after spending 11 weeks quarantined in their rooms, how are they Getting infected.

It has to be transmitted by staff and any new cases breaking out in care homes should have an immediate inspection of their work practices and safety procedures.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Whatever about my choice of words sorry if it gives a false image but many came as they had paid for their flight and accommodation. We also had thousands of Irish at both Cheltenham and a Liverpool both of which has been admitted in the UK as contributing to needless Covid deaths there. So it is within reason that if these two UK events were a factor in some UK Covid it's logical to assume some deaths here were also a result of these same sporting events.
    It leads me back to your original comment about cases in Ireland and Japan. Japan closed their borders to high risk travellers, we had individuals travel to a high risk area and visitors from a high risk area.
    Apologies for the long response.

Yeah I understand and agree with your main point. I think people wearing masks year round in Japan too plays a part. Was there in October and loads were wearing them. Could also be similar to NZ, island nation that can control its borders compared to us being in EU, free movement of travel, travel from UK/NI etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can other parts of the country open up quicker than others - like maybe specifically my local hairdressers, for example?

Nope or not yet anyway. Waterford will continue to be sullied by association with Dublin, Kildare etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can you tell us how loss of smell and taste presents?

Great question Journal.ie :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nope or not yet anyway. Waterford will continue to be sullied by association with Dublin, Kildare etc

Ah, I was just taking the piss out of Zara King there. She didn't ask today, but most days she asks about hairdressers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement