Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's been widely reported at this stage that there is almost no risk of catching the disease in outdoor settings, so really, who cares?

Widely reported?

Almost no risk? No, it's been suggested that there's less risk compared to indoor settings - that's not the same thing as "no risk." And there isn't conclusive data one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

I don't know why the Politicians and Health experts cannot just come out and say the obvious- that the disease is dying out (for now) and we can say that lifting restrictions has no effect on the spread of the disease (not just us but in all the other countries that have opened up weeks ago).

So lets open up a bit more quickly while maintaining some caution.

It's a good news story that can be claimed by all as a victory, but they are still trying to pretend that the disease is still a huge risk and massively prevalent in the community and that our own little world must stop as a result.

Its dragging out a bit now.

Two a330s flying out and back from Beijing daily. 9hr flight, burning 5.5tons per hour each. With reserves and extra fuel your looking at 200tons per day of jet fuel. Then the cost of product. And flight crew+aircraft.

Can't help but feel like we are getting the piss taken out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

fritzelly wrote: »
    Can you tell us how loss of smell and taste presents?

Great question Journal.ie :rolleyes:

The question should have been "Loss of smell and taste has been known about since March, how come you are only introducing it now as an actionable symptom ?"

"There is already good evidence from South Korea, China and Italy that significant numbers of patients with proven COVID-19 infection have developed anosmia/hyposmia. In Germany it is reported that more than 2 in 3 confirmed cases have anosmia. In South Korea, where testing has been more widespread, 30% of patients testing positive have had anosmia as their major presenting symptom in otherwise mild cases."

https://www.entuk.org/loss-sense-smell-marker-covid-19-infection-0

The above was published on the 21st of March yet our CMO is going to wait until June before introducing it as an actionable symptom.

The virus will not wait for this glacial process, which typifies the CMO's response to this pandemic... always too little too late.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

It's been widely reported at this stage that there is almost no risk of catching the disease in outdoor settings, so really, who cares?

Many will be erring on the side of caution for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Onesea wrote: »

Two a330s flying out and back from Beijing daily. 9hr flight, burning 5.5tons per hour each. With reserves and extra fuel your looking at 200tons per day of jet fuel. Then the cost of product. And flight crew+aircraft.

I don't follow, what do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I wonder who pays for this kind of journalism:

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/how-to-tell-if-youve-become-too-karen-for-your-own-good-39239741.html

>mainstream trying to cover 4chan memes
    >they always get it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Onesea wrote: »

It's going to go on till June. €230m is a very sizeable order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Arghus wrote: »
    Widely reported?

Almost no risk? No, it's been suggested that there's less risk compared to indoor settings - that's not the same thing as "no risk." And there isn't conclusive data one way or the other.

Listen there have been as good as no cases outside of specific settings (meat factories, care homes, hospitals etc) for the past weeks.

So the lads meeting for a few cans in the park is a very low risk activity.

Have a read of this:https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/coronavirus-covid19-exposure-risk-catching-virus-germs

The only places with a moderate to high risk of catching the virus are:

a) indoors and in a cramped facility (poor airspace)
    b) close proximity
    c) poor airflow
    d) staying in the same place for a long time.

There is very little chance of getting it outside unless in a very cramped place (e.g Concert).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Arghus wrote: »
    I saw that episode of Prime Time. I wouldn't agree that they rubbished face masks, more that they stressed that face masks weren't as effective as the other measures like hand hygiene, social distancing and that face masks are counter productive if people wear and adjust them incorrectly. And a lot of people do use them incorrectly.

I don't think they disputed that facial coverings/masks are certainly helpful, but only in conjunction with existing measures and if used correctly.

I was out in the Cresent today and Arthur Quay a few days ago in Limerick and the amount of people who have the mask down at there chin and then pull it up as they are entering a shop was shocking they might not as well have been wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Haha, at ease Corporal. I was around town that weekend too but i wasn't eavesdropping on conversations so probably didnt pick up on them.

I'm always on my own so I tend to overhear and observe. Not by choice just, habit

• Advertisement

The question should have been "Loss of smell and taste has been known about since March, how come you are only introducing it now as an actionable symptom ?"

"There is already good evidence from South Korea, China and Italy that significant numbers of patients with proven COVID-19 infection have developed anosmia/hyposmia. In Germany it is reported that more than 2 in 3 confirmed cases have anosmia. In South Korea, where testing has been more widespread, 30% of patients testing positive have had anosmia as their major presenting symptom in otherwise mild cases."

https://www.entuk.org/loss-sense-smell-marker-covid-19-infection-0

The above was published on the 21st of March yet our CMO is going to wait until June before introducing it as an actionable symptom.

The virus will not wait for this glacial process, which typifies the CMO's response to this pandemic... always too little too late.

:(
    He mentioned that GPs were aware of it as a symptom quite some time back, they just hadn't updated the symptoms.

Very much an American thing that Karen nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I wonder who pays for this kind of journalism:

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/how-to-tell-if-youve-become-too-karen-for-your-own-good-39239741.html

>mainstream trying to cover 4chan memes
    >they always get it wrong

Obviously following boards for the pulse of the nation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Figure of new cases is 46, but the total only adds 38. Not sure why there's so many tests being de-notified.

That's twice there has been an adjustment to the cumulative totals without explanation

*27/05: Cumulative cases on 26/05 revised to 24,730 from 24,735. Reduction of 5
    *28/05: Cumulative cases on 27/05 revised to 24,795 from 24,803. Reduction of 8

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    Very much an American thing that Karen nonsense!

You'd be surprised! It's anyone really with a sense of entitlement, not just women either of course

I was out in the Cresent today and Arthur Quay a few days ago in Limerick and the amount of people who have the mask down at there chin and then pull it up as they are entering a shop was shocking they might not as well have been wearing them

Why? The mask is, in the first instance, to protect others, not yourself. Just because it’s been on your chin it doesn’t mean it suddenly stops capturing droplets if you sneeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

That's twice there has been an adjustment to the cumulative totals without explanation

*27/05: Cumulative cases on 26/05 revised to 24,730 from 24,735. Reduction of 5
    *28/05: Cumulative cases on 27/05 revised to 24,795 from 24,803. Reduction of 8

That has come up in press conferences previously. Explanation has been that daily figures are "hot off the presses", as it were, but there may be some adjustments as they are subsequently checked - usually to do with duplications in original reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So it's easy to blame NHI members for deaths in private facilities, who takes the blame for deaths in HSE and public facilities?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Cal4567 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/matt-damon-leaving-ireland-5109912-May2020/

A watershed moment when we come to write the history of Ireland, or has this lockdown become too much for me?

He's F*ckin Matt Damon ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

He's F*ckin Matt Damon ...

I see what you did there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So it's easy to blame NHI members for deaths in private facilities, who takes the blame for deaths in HSE and public facilities?
    You don't seem to understand how these things work. They'll have an enquiry that'll take years and move people to different departments, probably on promotion, and eventually lay the blame on the HSE which will probably have a new name by then and they'll say that it could never happen again because of all the changes that have been brought about. So basically blame the name of the health service that doesn't exist anymore while telling the gullible that they've sorted the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Why? The mask is, in the first instance, to protect others, not yourself. Just because it’s been on your chin it doesn’t mean it suddenly stops capturing droplets if you sneeze.

I suspect that 99% of those wearing masks are not doing it to protect strangers in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eagle eye wrote: »
    You don't seem to understand how these things work. They'll have an enquiry that'll take years and move people to different departments, probably on promotion, and eventually lay the blame on the HSE which will probably have a new name by then and they'll say that it could never happen again because of all the changes that have been brought about. So basically blame the name of the health service that doesn't exist anymore while telling the gullible that they've sorted the problem.

Actually I do, several pages back I said an enquiry will make a finding of systematic failings and lessons will be learned but no one accountable. At the moment though there is a sustained attempt to lay the blame squarely at the private facilities.

Eod100 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised! It's anyone really with a sense of entitlement, not just women either of course

I've seen lots of Karens in Ireland. Very unique female-specific archetype.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Actually I do, several pages back I said an enquiry will make a finding of systematic failings and lessons will be learned but no one accountable. At the moment though there is a sustained attempt to lay the blame squarely at the private facilities.
    Yeah and it's easy to point fingers at small private facilities and I'm sure there telling them to keep quiet and they'll all get a grant to upgrade facilities. That's another way out they'll come up with but it won't work because there'll be a couple of facilities out there that are very professional and take pride in that and they'll blow the lid off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Keep spinning, don't get to dizzy though.

Spinning what?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sure, but we can all relate to someone with "entitlement issues" or a "busybody". Assigning some random name that offers no clarity makes no sense. The name also seems to apply to a whole multitude of completely unrelated sins. From the clips I've seen they all look like bit parts right out of Jersey Shore.

• Advertisement

I've seen lots of Karens in Ireland. Very unique female-specific archetype.
    So is this fetish for labelling people with random names some type of lowbrow McWilliams name calling?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement