Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Shocking. A fraction of the population affected by Covid, and necessary services grinding to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Shocking. A fraction of the population affected by Covid, and necessary services grinding to a halt.

Wonder how this works long term, all this PPE, private hospitals taken over, staff at the ready for a surge. The surge never came, but it might as we ease, might not. At what point do the private hospitals go back to private and public go back to their usual thing. Can't sit on standby forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

These doomsters and fear mongers are terrible with all their negativity and stories of gloom about the economy.

First it was 'Ahh shure it's only the flu', then it was 'let the coffin dodgers die while we get on with 'herd immunity' , then 'what about the children's education', now it's 'cancer screening' and 'don't try to clear the island of Covid'.

Why are they always so negative and why can't they just post happy clappy stuff ?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fr336 wrote: »
    Good news: Austria, which started easing lockdown on April 14th, has reported case numbers for last few days: 34, 18, 36, 17, 50. Population 9 million.

Bad news: Austria made face coverings compulsory.

Doesn't take a genius to see how one can lead to the other.

More good news later.

No face masks in Denmark and they're only seeing 50 new cases a day. Might make a marginal difference but it seems social distancing itself is the key factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

'let the coffin dodgers die while we get on with 'herd immunity' ,

Has anyone ever actually said this ,or is it something you have made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The HSA advice for SMEs is ****ing bananas. 9 documents which includes 7 multi-page checklists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Strazdas wrote: »
    No face masks in Denmark and they're only seeing 50 new cases a day. Might make a marginal difference but it seems social distancing itself is the key factor.

Fair enough. Danes probably more sensible than the Americanised British isles though.

Has anyone ever actually said this ,or is it something you have made up?

Those posters were all over this very thread.

Whilst an inquiry will most likely happen, the outcome will be no one accountable the fault will lie with a systematic failure and lessons will be learned.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/pearse-doherty-public-inquiry-into-nursing-home-deaths-inevitable-1002217.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

These doomsters and fear mongers are terrible with all their negativity and stories of gloom about the economy.

First it was 'Ahh shure it's only the flu', then it was 'let the coffin dodgers die while we get on with 'herd immunity' , then 'what about the children's education', now it's 'cancer screening' and 'don't try to clear the island of Covid'.

Why are they always so negative and why can't they just post happy clappy stuff ?

So are you saying it's not a disgrace that cancer screening isn't taking place or that there's no plan in place to resume these services ?? Seeing as it saves lives and early detection is key.

It's hard to tell if your post is sarcastic or not.

Either way it is a disgrace that these services aren't running and theres no plan to run them

Those posters were all over this very thread.

Thanks but my question was addressed to someone else's comment.

Thanks but my question was addressed to someone else's comment.

True, sorry. You could maybe PM them in future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Whilst an inquiry will most likely happen, the outcome will be no one accountable the fault will lie with a systematic failure and lessons will be learned.
    It's amusing to see SF back in the headlines again after going missing for the duration of the crisis, doing what they do best - stabbing the wounded after the battle is over.

hmmm wrote: »
    It's amusing to see SF back in the headlines again after going missing for the duration of the crisis, doing what they do best - stabbing the wounded after the battle is over.

It's even more amusing that you would make the calling of an enquiry into the deaths of over 60% of Covid victims into a political point scoring exercise.
    Personally I could care less what the political persuasion of the person calling for an inquiry is, it's without doubt necessary.
    Do you yourself not think an enquiry is warranted?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

3 new admissions (total 6 now) and 3 patients on ventilators in CUH, up from 0 two days ago. ICU numbers rising in Cork and falling everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

GazzaL wrote: »
    The HSA advice for SMEs is ****ing bananas. 9 documents which includes 7 multi-page checklists.

At the end of the day businesses will have to be responsible for the health and safety of their staff while at work and for the health and safety of any customers.

3 new admissions (total 6 now) and 3 patients on ventilators in CUH, up from 0 two days ago. ICU numbers rising in Cork and falling everywhere else.

Any particular reason for that do you know ? I know someone had said previously that meat plants were an issue in parts of cork

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Any particular reason for that do you know ? I know someone had said previously that meat plants were an issue in parts of cork
    No idea. I get the email from a family member that sends me the numbers every day and they've been rising for last few days. 6 inpatients with 3 ventilated. 0 new cases confirmed over last 24hrs and 0 released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1265940667303448576

People are dying - or will die - needlessly because of the suspension of screening for those conditions.

Diabetic services were struggling long before the virus,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Good news: UK daily death toll (official government figures not ONS figures) down to 213. Still 213 needless deaths, mind.

Bad news: UK outbreak still "relatively stable" and infecting 54,000 people per week. Even during a lockdown.

Positivity!

The UK fatality rate of tested cases has been 14%. Now testing has been more widespread lately and this will fall, but if it was even one third of this rate you are still going to have 1000+ people dying in 3 weeks time, so there won't be a dramatic decline in deaths ahead.

True, sorry. You could maybe PM them in future though.

Is this a Mod instruction?

No idea. I get the email from a family member that sends me the numbers every day and they've been rising for last few days. 6 inpatients with 3 ventilated. 0 new cases confirmed over last 24hrs and 0 released.

Will be interesting to see tonight's HSE operations report, especially after the CMO said a rise in admissions yesterday but in the figures it wasn't reflected.

It's even more amusing that you would make the calling of an enquiry into the deaths of over 60% of Covid victims into a political point scoring exercise.
    Personally I could care less what the political persuasion of the person calling for an inquiry is, it's without doubt necessary.
    Do you yourself not think an enquiry is warranted?
    There's about a hundred different things we need to consider arising out of this, and it's a long way from over.

But as I say, interesting to see SF back in the headlines now that the hard decisions have been made. I'm sure they'll tell us what we should have done.

Is this a Mod instruction?

Was your post telling me not to reply on an open forum? Boring. Muted.

Was your post telling me not to reply on an open forum? Boring. Muted.

Not at all, my reply is still there. I thanked you but said my question was to another poster not you.

hmmm wrote: »
    There's about a hundred different things we need to consider arising out of this, and it's a long way from over.

So I take it you agree an enquiry should happen into the 950 + nursing home deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We are so far behind with this opening up

Let's get on it now. Please can somebody big make this happen and not allow Harris (despite his good intentions) to stifle a chance at a summer resurgence in our economy

So I take it you agree an enquiry should happen into the 950 + nursing home deaths.
    I know we've had this conversation before, but your Boards persona of acting as some sort of cross-examination lawyer badgering people about trivial points adds nothing to most threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Just read the reports in the media, the nursing home that my Dad was in (and died from Covid 19 in at the beginning of the month) tops the list of deaths in residential homes. 35 dead out of 131 residents. Just over a quarter of the people who lived there. Gone in the space of a few weeks.

Aside from my Dad, it saddens me to think about all those people I passed and said hello to on all my visits there that are now gone. That's not to mention all the other victims. I can barely get my head around my Dad dying, let alone the enormity of the whole situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-human-cost-of-covid-19-ireland-s-care-homes-with-the-most-deaths-revealed-1.4264170

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement