Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can someone tell me what restriction was placed on the over 70's?
    The government seems to have made a big deal of getting this restriction lifted, did it actually exist in the first place? My understanding was the over 70's were advised to stay indoors but there was no legal requirements to do so.

correct. it's some kind of weird power play by the authorities "allowing" people to do something they were never not allowed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

The government seems to have made a big deal of getting this restriction lifted, did it actually exist in the first place? My understanding was the over 70's were advised to stay indoors but there was no legal requirements to do so.

Compliance is voluntary mate, this isn't the USSR

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They did not have to stay in they were advised to stay in. But as most over 70's have a lot of underlying conditions the covid19 is more likely to be fatal for them. So it was in thier interests to stay inside. My mother and father would not go out for instance. Myself and the nieghbours did shopping for them.

The fact the restrictions advice is being lifted a bit, means that the health professionals believe that the risk has been lowered for the over 70's.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The fact the restriction is being lifted means that the health professional believe that the risk has been lowered for the over 70's.

Crazy that you have to explain that. I see the oddballs are out in force in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lot of over 70,s I know are following the HSE recommendations and taking them as a “ rule “
    Now the “ rule “ is lifted they feel more relaxed at being out .
    Also the increase to 5k has opened up more opportunities for walks in a park rather than in a housing estate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ballso wrote: »
    Compliance is voluntary mate, this isn't the USSR

You missed what I said, to the best of my knowledge and it has been confirmed by others . The over 70's were 'advised' as opposed to restricted mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I wonder the people who defend this lockdown and are loving it , how they'll feel when it's finally lifted - in about 2 years time ...

There are large parts of society who have always been in lockdown, they only venture out for shopping, and spend most of the time watching tv, for these there is no visible difference in their quality of like, there is nothing abnormal about the situation.

Crazy that you have to explain that. I see the oddballs are out in force in this thread

Maybe they are all really young. Or maybe are orphans and do not have any grandparents either.
    Or maybe thier parents/grandparents are extremely healthy with great sets of lungs, that will withstand and breathing difficulties that covid19 brings?

You missed what I said, to the best of my knowledge and it has been confirmed by others . The over 70's were 'advised' as opposed to restricted mate.

Yes very good, the heath professionals running the crisis response advised that over 70s restrict movement, now they are advising a loosening of those restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The fact the restrictions advice is being lifted a bit, means that the health professionals believe that the risk has been lowered for the over 70's.

I very much doubt it.

The advice now is to get brief exercise and don't meet anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They did not have to stay in they were advised to stay in. But as most over 70's have a lot of underlying conditions the covid19 is more likely to be fatal for them. So it was in thier interests to stay inside. My mother and father would not go out for instance. Myself and the nieghbours did shopping for them.

Incorrect, it's been well documented that NPHET were against advising/allowing over 70s to go out. The Govt over ruled them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yes very good, the heath professionals running the crisis response advised that over 70s restrict movement, now they are advising a loosening of those restrictions.

Do you know the difference between advice and restriction?
    Actually don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭phormium

The initial ads on tv about cocooning etc said you 'must ' stay at home then about week or two ago they were changed to you 'should' stay at home. Definitely the impression was given initially that elderly were not allowed out.

begbysback wrote: »
    There are large parts of society who have always been in lockdown, they only venture out for shopping, and spend most of the time watching tv, for these there is no visible difference in their quality of like, there is nothing abnormal about the situation.

See above - re grandkids etc. Also it is a bit of generalisation to say thier quality of life is not affected.
    As those you speak of require more medical help than most. But the health system is now under pressure because of the covid19 also the issues of home help and so on. Many elderly are fearful at the best of times the covid19 has added another layer. Even getting prescriptions now has an added layer of difficulty for the elderly. Example only two per time in the chemist.

phormium wrote: »
    The initial ads on tv about cocooning etc said you 'must ' stay at home then about week or two ago they were changed to you 'should' stay at home. Definitely the impression was given initially that elderly were not allowed out.

What did you think was going to happen, were the army going to flood the streets cos aul Paddy went for a paper?

Incorrect, it's been well documented that NPHET were against advising/allowing over 70s to go out. The Govt over ruled them.

That's not what Coveney says -

https://extra.ie/2020/05/05/news/irish-news/simon-coveney-nphet-cocooners

--

But I am sure most over 70's are sensible anyway - and can make thier own decisions based on thier health conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

magic17 wrote: »
    I've definitely had enough. 25km from nearest family. Boyfriend lives 1.5 hours away. At this rate I'll be very lucky to see them before June. How is that fair? .

I just lost a second precious member of my family to Covid-19 this morning. I'll never get to see them again.

How is that fair?

AulWan wrote: »
    I just lost a second precious member of my family to Covid-19 this morning. I'll never get to see them again.

How is that fair?

Sorry for your loss

That's not what Coveney says -

https://extra.ie/2020/05/05/news/irish-news/simon-coveney-nphet-cocooners

--

But I am sure most over 70's are sensible anyway - and can make thier own decisions based on thier health conditions.

Didn't he base Ireland having a travel ban on the feelings of other countries?? "How would Ireland feel if Italy stopped all of our flights?" :rolleyes:

Hardly a bastion of sense.

Edit: Here’s NPHETs recommendations

As someone who is expecting to get some very unpleasant news regarding the future of my job within the next 2 weeks, having worked in various forms since i was 14, i can safely say that i,ve had enough and that i increasingly suspect that we waaaay overcooked these restrictions.

• Advertisement

As someone who is expecting to get some very unpleasant news regarding the future of my job within the next 2 weeks, having worked in various forms since i was 14, i can safely say that i,ve had enough and that i increasingly suspect that we waaaay overcooked these restrictions.

How many more should we have let die to protect your income?

your income is all good, yeah?

your income is all good, yeah?

It's great thanks.

How much has our death rate risen in comparison to the same period last year??

How much has our death rate risen in comparison to the same period last year??

It's risen enough to kill two family members of a poster a couple of posts before yours.

Nobody is asking you ****ing autists to think, just do what you're told.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

It's risen enough to kill two family members of a poster a couple of posts before yours.

Nobody is asking you ****ing autists to think, just do what you're told.

If you think this lockdown is so great why don’t you do yourself a favour and hide in your house all day long? A good number of people would rather not tip toe around this virus anymore. Those who want to have more than a good justification to do so. Some people’s livelihoods ARE their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

It’s not just about income. It’s about people’s routines, their sanity, their mental health. Not everything is one dimensional.

this simplification of the whole issue down to a binary choice between good and evil is somewhat revealing.

Nobody gives a **** about your braindead waffle lads. People with actual skills and qualifications in the area are running the show, your pub-bore level input is not required. Just shut the the **** up.

• Advertisement

lol

Advertisement