Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

Quick question:

Why are Woodies and Homebase still closed?

They are huge stores with big side isles which makes it very easy to keep your distance. Well spaced out checkouts. They also have everything you need for house and garden which would make this isolation so much easier to bear. I have been completely on my own for 7 weeks at this stage.

In comparison both Dealz and Choice are open, just a few doors down from Woodies here in Drogheda.

Dealz and Choice sell food and other items that you get in a supermarket, woodies etc don't that's why.

Choice you can get gardening stuff in, like compost, planters and seeds etc with the bonus of being cheaper than woodies etc who are overpriced imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Cupatae wrote: »
    AHA! you ve done it!, you ve pointed out a hole in the system... man we really are messing up not having someone like you to point out these elusive flaws in this plan.

Now we can cancel all restrictions based on this powerful knowledge obtained. God bless boards and the heroes on it that keep finding these flaws..geniuses and pioneers..

Do you ever ask yourself AITA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That was some day, although got cold quick. Hope the OP had a good one. We did. Cold beers, sea breeze, bbq and beers. Delish, although it’s 7:45 and I’d love to hit a pub with a decent band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭This is it

Enjoyed a lovely walk myself this afternoon :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So Boo Boo Harris is seeing if he can prevent people leaving the country for the next 8 months. Firstly, who the f*ck does he think he is making pronouncements like that? Stopping people physically leaving a country is a policy of the most authoritarian regimes in history. I can tell you now that's one law I won't be obeying-when other countries with real experts in charge say it's ok for me to visit (maybe from late June on) I'll be going if I want.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0502/1136268-covid-19/

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    So Boo Boo Harris is seeing if he can prevent people leaving the country for the next 8 months. Firstly, who the f*ck does he think he is making pronouncements like that? Stopping people physically leaving a country is a policy of the most authoritarian regimes in history. I can tell you now that's one law I won't be obeying-when other countries with real experts in charge say it's ok for me to visit (maybe from late June on) I'll be going if I want.

He’s a clown. I’m heading to Thailand for a few weeks later in the year.

It doesn't say that anywhere in the article you've linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Likewise looking to head over around xmas/new year

I've Portugal booked for early September, fingers crossed but I'll take it on the chin if I can't get going.

This is it wrote: »
    It doesn't say that anywhere in the article you've linked.

Sorry, it's a bit hidden away there. Read the first paragraph. Then the second. Then the third. Etc, etc...

• Advertisement

You might want to reread that, I can't see anything like what your saying in that article, it reads more like they are trying to implement legislation regarding people entering the country and enforcement of isolation.

Sorry, it's a bit hidden away there. Read the first paragraph. Then the second. Then the third. Etc, etc...

You can count, that's a start, but I do question your literacy skills because it still doesn't say he's looking to prevent people leaving the country. It mentions the attorney general with regards to self isolation on returning to the country, that doesn't prevent anyone from leaving in the first place, or returning, only the measures that need to be taken.

You're purposely misrepresenting what is in the article to get a few digs in, for whatever reason.

You better hope that they have removed the quarantine for any foreign entrants by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He said you can leave but will have to quarantine on return.
    Can people not read?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Can people not read?

Evidently not :)

Likewise looking to head over around xmas/new year

Same, was hoping Sept/Oct, but Xmas is looking more likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As soon as international business travel happens he's on a hidding to nowhere. Courts view discrimination in a very dim light.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Same, was hoping Sept/Oct, but Xmas is looking more likely

You might be wise to social distance while in Thailand 😀

Paulownia wrote: »
    You might be wise to social distance while in Thailand 😀

I’ll be dipped in bleach on my way home. Be grand

You can count, that's a start, but I do question your literacy skills because it still doesn't say he's looking to prevent people leaving the country. It mentions the attorney general with regards to self isolation on returning to the country, that doesn't prevent anyone from leaving in the first place, or returning, only the measures that need to be taken.

You're purposely misrepresenting what is in the article to get a few digs in, for whatever reason.

There's no ambiguity or misrepresentation. That is exactly what the article says. What's wrong with you people?

"He said the advice at the moment was not to leave the island of Ireland and it was looking highly unlikely that people would be able to travel abroad for holidays later in the year."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

There's no ambiguity or misrepresentation. That is exactly what the article says. What's wrong with you people?

"He said the advice at the moment was not to leave the island of Ireland and it was looking highly unlikely that people would be able to travel abroad for holidays later in the year."

Foreign holidays are not in trouble for 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Can people not read?

Will it be proper quarantine measures for arrivals and not the farce was allowed to happen over the past few months, of handing out leaflets at the airport, notifying people of a new disease and recommending self isolation if someone gets symptoms.

It doesn't make sense to me how the population is doing so much to slow the spread of the infectious disease, just to allow arrivals in where they may need to get a taxi, or a bus, go to a shop to buy fresh milk, etc basically going out into public potentially being infected and infectious.

Ok, in fairness the article in the journal does elaborate more on what he meant, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he's casually making pronouncements about basic rights being stripped from people far into the future. Putting an unnecessary and unscientific burden of isolation on people is creating a barrier to free movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ok, in fairness the article in the journal does elaborate more on what he meant, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he's casually making pronouncements about basic rights being stripped from people far into the future. Putting an unnecessary and unscientific burden of isolation on people is creating a barrier to free movement.

You know it's no wonder good people get put off getting in to politics or public service.

Constant complaints for weeks because there seemed to be no restrictions on people coming in to the country. Then bemoaning the restriction on free movement when conditions are applied.

You can travel all you like but there's now an additional cost to doing so.

This is life at the moment. I don't care what anyone says, Leo, Simon, the government, medical officers, etc. are not doing this for fun. They believe their restrictions are a necessity. While I think they've done a fine job for the most part I do think there are questions to be answered, especially concerning nursing homes, but this constant finding a stick to beat them with is getting very old very fast.

I mean you argued here that there was no ambiguity or misrepresenting in what was said and what you said, and then say, well actually, I was wrong.

Sick of reading this shyte across this site and various other social media platforms. People thinking they're informing themselves while half reading articles. It's a nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

This is life at the moment. I don't care what anyone says, Leo, Simon, the government, medical officers, etc. are not doing this for fun. They believe their restrictions are a necessity. While I think they've done a fine job for the most part I do think there are questions to be answered, especially concerning nursing homes, but this constant finding a stick to beat them with is getting very old very fast.

I mean you argued here that there was no ambiguity or misrepresenting in what was said and what you said, and then say, well actually, I was wrong.

Sick of reading this shyte across this site and various other social media platforms. People thinking they're informing themselves while half reading articles. It's a nonsense.

Sick of people criticizing others on these sites the minute they open their mouth to give an opinion. We are all just giving opinions and can make mistakes without having smart alecs commenting on these mistakes. If you don't agree with someone you don't have to be nasty about it.

Sick of people criticizing others on these sites the minute they open their mouth to give an opinion. We are all just giving opinions and can make mistakes without having smart alecs commenting on these mistakes. If you don't agree with someone you don't have to be nasty about it.

If that's your idea of nasty you need to get off the internet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You know it's no wonder good people get put off getting in to politics or public service.

Constant complaints for weeks because there seemed to be no restrictions on people coming in to the country. Then bemoaning the restriction on free movement when conditions are applied.

You can travel all you like but there's now an additional cost to doing so.
    +1 and about time too. This should have been in place a month ago. That's the singular complaint I have about the authorities here, they're doing the right thing, about three weeks late(which is generous in some areas). I say authorities, because I struggle to think of any political party who would do any better and a few would likely do worse. The Greens would probably speed up the reintroduction of wolves to keep us at home. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do as you are told.

61R3xKQNt9L._UX522_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

So, did the op go for the auld spin?

Advertisement