Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

degsie wrote: »
    So, did the op go for the auld spin?

I was wondering the same - surely after all the noise we deserve to know. Be terrible altogether For his essential workplace if he got arrested for ignoring the regulations and thrown into portlaoise prison.

This is it wrote: »
    This is life at the moment. I don't care what anyone says, Leo, Simon, the government, medical officers, etc. are not doing this for fun. They believe their restrictions are a necessity.

Sick of reading this shyte across this site and various other social media platforms. People thinking they're informing themselves while half reading articles. It's a nonsense.

THIS is the nub of it! They "believe" their restrictions are necessary. The Irish government and CMO are inflicting far more long drawn out restrictions than nearly any other country in the world! Why are garden centres not already open? Why is golf not starting for another 2 weeks, one of the most socially distanced sports? (I'm not a golfer), Why is there no mention of dentists anywhere?? This is a medical service, it is essential to the health of so many people. Why are we restricted to no further than 20km until 20th July!!!!? This is insanity! What exactly are we basing our never ending lockdown on? No other country is doing this!

Jacinta Ardern NZ Prime Minister last night specifically mentioned Ireland (in disbelief) saying some countries like Ireland were going for VERY long restrictions and NZ's plan was getting their economy back up and running much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

THIS is the nub of it! They "believe" their restrictions are necessary. The Irish government and CMO are inflicting far more long drawn out restrictions than nearly any other country in the world! Why are garden centres not already open? Why is golf not starting for another 2 weeks, one of the most socially distanced sports? (I'm not a golfer), Why is there no mention of dentists anywhere?? This is a medical service, it is essential to the health of so many people. Why are we restricted to no further than 20km until 20th July!!!!? This is insanity! What exactly are we basing our never ending lockdown on? No other country is doing this!

Jacinta Ardern last night specifically mentioned Ireland (in disbelief) saying some countries like Ireland were going for VERY long restrictions and NZ's plan was getting their economy back up and running much sooner.

Our slow lifting of restrictions is because the HSE is running scared .The health system was crap before it started and its still .We will be at snails pace because the HSE are fully aware that the capacity is not there to handle a surge

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

Jacinta Ardern last night specifically mentioned Ireland (in disbelief) saying some countries like Ireland were going for VERY long restrictions and NZ's plan was getting their economy back up and running much sooner.

I don't see any reason to not opening the garden centres, I don't own a garden but with this weather many people stay at home and do gardening. It seems more that the government want put under psychologically pressure the population form some other reason

I have a chronic condition and doctors have been useless and I know many other people with chronic condition that didn't get any help from doctors. We have been suffering for years and nobody cares. I really don't think that the government is so worry about the citizens health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

I have a chronic condition and doctors have been useless and I know many other people with chronic condition that didn't get any help from doctors. We have been suffering for years and nobody cares. I really don't think that the government is so worry about the citizens health.

Agreed, i have the same experience

yes I agree and also many operations for young children with conditions like Spina Bifida ,curvature of the spine, there are huge delays on these kind of operations which will affect those children for the rest of their lives. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You know it's no wonder good people get put off getting in to politics or public service.

Constant complaints for weeks because there seemed to be no restrictions on people coming in to the country. Then bemoaning the restriction on free movement when conditions are applied.

You can travel all you like but there's now an additional cost to doing so.

People are complaining because of the constant failure of these politicians to do anything right. The dogs on the street knew that incoming flights from China should have been stopped back in Feb.

uli84 wrote: »
    Agreed, i have the same experience

they gave me a referral for a neurologist and the waiting list was two years, I received a letter after 6 months asking me if I still wanted to go and ring to confirm this, I was thinking it was a joke! I had to travel to UK and spend a lot of money to meet doctor there. My experience with Irish doctors was awful. Many of them are really rude and don't even bother to hide the fact that they couldn't care less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

This is it wrote: »
    This is life at the moment. I don't care what anyone says, Leo, Simon, the government, medical officers, etc. are not doing this for fun. They believe their restrictions are a necessity. While I think they've done a fine job for the most part I do think there are questions to be answered, especially concerning nursing homes, but this constant finding a stick to beat them with is getting very old very fast.

I mean you argued here that there was no ambiguity or misrepresenting in what was said and what you said, and then say, well actually, I was wrong.

Sick of reading this shyte across this site and various other social media platforms. People thinking they're informing themselves while half reading articles. It's a nonsense.

Again, the rte article was incomplete but that doesn't change the fact that Harris said those words. And guess what? I'm sick of people saying they "think" the government is doing a good job while simultaneously casually brushing over the hundreds of preventable deaths in the nursing homes and just ignoring financial realities.
    Why are new infections still being announced as if it's a problem with the entire country's behaviour when, after this length of general lockdown, they have to be a function of specific groups and locations?
    If the government can't borrow money later this year or next, which is their grand master plan-basically stick it on the never-never and hope for the best, we're heading back to the early 80s economically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Jacinta Ardern NZ Prime Minister last night specifically mentioned Ireland (in disbelief) saying some countries like Ireland were going for VERY long restrictions and NZ's plan was getting their economy back up and running much sooner.

Is it not the case that she was making the point that because New Zealand put in restrictions earlier that they can now reduce them much quicker than for example Ireland who left it until later. I don't think it was a case of her being in disbelief at the length of restrictions, but rather using our situation as an example to show how well New Zealand had managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe not. If they had been so concerned about health of the nation you'd think they would have sorted out the health service a long time ago.
    It was something that was allowed to decline, with plenty of people getting sick and dying than CV19 will ever get close to in numbers.

But there is almost a recognition now that they are getting for keeping death numbers low during this pandemic. They are flying in the ratings and now folk are seeing Leo as a great leader.

Its almost as if the pandemic has been good for the Government.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Is it not the case that she was making the point that because New Zealand put in restrictions earlier that they can now reduce them much quicker than for example Ireland who left it until later. I don't think it was a case of her being in disbelief at the length of restrictions, but rather using our situation as an example to show how well New Zealand had managed.

New Zealand got its first case of Covid 19 on 28th February. Ireland got their first case on 29th February. Our schools closed on 12 March, Its almost 2 months ago since restrictions started here! Surely measurements, testing and hospital capacity should be up and running by now. Our ICU cases are less than 100, deaths yesterday the lowest in many weeks.

I would suggest you listen to the actual audio clip on this, it was played at 9am on Newstalk (dont have a link), you could hear her disbelief in her voice when she was talking about it. Nothing explains having to wait for almost 2 months to travel to another part of Ireland , over 20km away. Nothing explains the delay in opening garden centres right now! Nothing explains why there is absolutely ZERO mention anywhere of dentists! We were only 1 day behind NZ in our first case but we are 2 MONTHS behind in lifting restrictions. Where are the taxes going to come from to continue paying our huge Social Welfare and Health Care costs?

New Zealand got its first case of Covid 19 on 28th February. Ireland got their first case on 29th February. Our schools closed on 12 March, Its almost 2 months ago since restrictions started here! Surely measurements, testing and hospital capacity should be up and running by now. Our ICU cases are less than 100, deaths yesterday the lowest in many weeks.

I would suggest you listen to the actual audio clip on this, it was played at 9am on Newstalk (dont have a link), you could hear her disbelief in her voice when she was talking about it. Nothing explains having to wait for almost 2 months to travel to another part of Ireland , over 20km away. Nothing explains the delay in opening garden centres right now! Nothing explains why there is absolutely ZERO mention anywhere of dentists! We were only 1 day behind NZ in our first case but we are 2 MONTHS behind in lifting restrictions. Where are the taxes going to come from to continue paying our huge Social Welfare and Health Care costs?

The disbelief in her voice was because she was trying to get across that imagine if we had done things like Ireland, then we wouldn't be able to lift our restrictions as quickly as we now can. In other words, look at how well we did and look at how bad it could have been when your compare us to Ireland. I really think your after misunderstanding the point she was making.

New Zealand had no new reported cases in a 24 hour period before she made her statement. Do a Google search on this, all the articles are highlighting the fact that she's saying New Zealand did such a good job and it could have been much worse if they hadn't and would have to be slower at reducing restrictions like Ireland now have to.

Do you really think she was in disbelief that Ireland, with much worse numbers than New Zealand, are taking longer to lift restrictions. Should all countries, regardless of the kind of numbers they are getting, reduce restrictions as quickly as New Zealand, is that it?

deisedevil wrote: »
    The disbelief in her voice was because she was trying to get across that imagine if we had done things like Ireland, then we wouldn't be able to lift our restrictions as quickly as we now can. In other words, look at how well we did and look at how bad it could have been when your compare us to Ireland. I really think your after misunderstanding the point she was making.

New Zealand had no new reported cases in a 24 hour period before she made her statement. Do a Google search on this, all the articles are highlighting the fact that she's saying New Zealand did such a good job and it could have been much worse if they hadn't and would have to be slower at reducing restrictions like Ireland now have to.

Do you really think she was in disbelief that Ireland, with much worse numbers than New Zealand, are taking longer to lift restrictions. Should all countries, regardless of the kind of numbers they are getting, reduce restrictions as quickly as New Zealand, is that it?

No thats not it, in fact I agree. Ireland should have been far quicker to react. I remember at the time being at work and we were all in disbelief that Cheltenham was going ahead. I remember the weekend of the cancelled Italian Rugby match walking around Howth Head and the cliff walk was teeming with Italian students! There must have been a few plane loads of them up there!
    New Zealand did a brilliant job and as an island economy if Ireland had introduced even half of the measure NZ did we wouldn't be in the situation now. Having said that we got our R0 below 1, far less in fact, we got out ICU numbers down, our deaths have dropped considerably, these measure are working and people have been compliant. We did what we were asked to do yet we were berated by Leo & Co.

The time to ease restrictions on things like garden centres and golf clubs is now - not in 2 weeks. Likewise with the 20km restriction carrying on until 20th July - this is insanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

New Zealand did a brilliant job and as an island economy if Ireland had introduced even half of the measure NZ did we wouldn't be in the situation now.
    We are not an island economy, we have a border on the island. The UK went for herd immunity as their strategy - i.e. let people get infected, and unless we somehow managed to seal the NI border this meant we could never adopt a NZ strategy even if we wanted to. These simplistic comparisons are not correct.

No thats not it, in fact I agree. Ireland should have been far quicker to react. I remember at the time being at work and we were all in disbelief that Cheltenham was going ahead. I remember the weekend of the cancelled Italian Rugby match walking around Howth Head and the cliff walk was teeming with Italian students! There must have been a few plane loads of them up there!
    New Zealand did a brilliant job and as an island economy if Ireland had introduced even half of the measure NZ did we wouldn't be in the situation now. Having said that we got our R0 below 1, far less in fact, we got out ICU numbers down, our deaths have dropped considerably, these measure are working and people have been compliant. We did what we were asked to do yet we were berated by Leo & Co.

The time to ease restrictions on things like garden centres and golf clubs is now - not in 2 weeks. Likewise with the 20km restriction carrying on until 20th July - this is insanity!

To be fair, the people with the most knowledge about our situation are worried, and rightly so, that here in Ireland, if we lift our restrictions too quickly, we could be facing a sharp spike, in a country with a badly run health service that won't be able to cope. Surely we should be doing this slowly and monitoring it very carefully and ready to revert back if it starts to take off. Not lifting all the restrictions quickly to hell with it because the R0 looks grand now. Our R0 is where it's at because of the restrictions. That doesn't stay like that from here on regardless of what restrictions are lifted like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

polesheep wrote: »
    It's you that is hilarious while most other people are worried about their economic future. As for not being able to stay at home, when faced with an adversary humans instinctively react in one of two ways: run and hide or stand and fight. These are basic instincts that can affect us all in many ways. For those who would run away, staying home to watch Netflix is both comforting and satisfying, but for everyone else it is frustrating and difficult to take. Why do you think so many teenage men lie about their age in order to go to war? For many people, being asked to do nothing against an adversary is the toughest ask of all.

So what are you doing to fight against the impact of the virus then? Have you signed up to deliver food to elderly people or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

wakka12 wrote: »
    So what are you doing to fight against the impact of the virus then? Have you signed up to deliver food to elderly people or anything like that?

Do you never think of life beyond the basics? Never think about the human condition? There's an excellent philosophy thread on this site.

BTW to have seen this post just now you must have trawled back through days and days of posts as I stopped posting here due to the growing politicisation of the thread. In fact all threads on Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

polesheep wrote: »
    It's you that is hilarious while most other people are worried about their economic future. As for not being able to stay at home, when faced with an adversary humans instinctively react in one of two ways: run and hide or stand and fight. These are basic instincts that can affect us all in many ways. For those who would run away, staying home to watch Netflix is both comforting and satisfying, but for everyone else it is frustrating and difficult to take. Why do you think so many teenage men lie about their age in order to go to war? For many people, being asked to do nothing against an adversary is the toughest ask of all.

Listen to Rambo here.

A lot of bloody nonsense. Some of the same disciplines are required in different challenges,.

You're attempting to make out that people showing the discipline to abide by the restrictions are weak people who would run and hide in other challenges. The opposite if anything is the case, those people are showing the strength and discipline required. You're making excuses for whining pathetic people that lack self control and discipline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Cause our health system is a shambles compared to our European neighbors. With all the money that's pumped into it. It only highlights one thing. Massive reform needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It’s a superficial comparison. Ireland looks a bit like New Zealand and has a similar size population.

New Zealand is remote and Ireland isn’t. It’s basically coming down to that.

When 1.8 million Kiwis are dropping off to Spain once a year, when you can take a 1 hour flight to London from Auckland for €12.99, when they’ve an uncontrolled, unmarked land border with the U.K., a deeply integrated economy and society with the U.K. and continental Europe, and are a short cheap flight from NYC and Boston ... when they’ve all that, come back to me with a direct comparison.

For all intents and purposes Ireland is 100% part of the same areas that got this badly and they’re amongst the most visited, dynamic and transited through nexuses of humanity on the planet.

It’s like comparing the middle of Dublin with the arran islands.

I’m not saying what NZ has achieved hasn’t been impressive but the direct comparison is utterly meaningless.

Compare Ireland to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Scotland, Western France, etc

Compare NZ to physically isolated places.

Put it this way: IT billionaires bought properties in NZ because it’s extremely remote and they felt it was a good place to hunker down in the event of a global meltdown, nuclear war or other conflict. They didn’t do this in Ireland as its as commented as Vermont, Upstate New York, the Loire Valley or Scotland.

The ironic thing has been due to California being a nexus of everything, including the coronavirus, NZ doesn’t want them, global transit became difficult and many haven’t been able to get to their bolt holes at all.

Others built them so secure they forgot how to get in:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tech-executive-new-zealand-bunker-forgot-how-to-unlock-report-2020-4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Xertz wrote: »
    It’s a superficial comparison. Ireland looks a bit like New Zealand and has a similar size population.

New Zealand is remote and Ireland isn’t. It’s basically coming down to that.

Its not down to just location don't forget NZ and Australia tested with a quick turnaround and contact tracing at the most crucial time... at the very start.

S.Korea far less remote, 50% more visitors than Ireland and far more densely populated only have 10,000 cases and 250 deaths, what did they do?

Tested and contact traced from the start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Just another anti northern and anti traveller post, I have no interest in travelling around your country, or mine for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

People from the North free to move all over Ireland.
    Scab slave labour being flown in on flights.

Travellers totally free to do what they want when they want where they want.

I am working long hours which are deemed essential.

I am going to get out for a decent drive this weekend and head for a beauty spot and get out for a walk and enjoy the sun.

Before you shut me down mods can you answer what harm I will be doing?

This is a discussion forum we are not living in China or North Korea.

I think you have been watching too many films.

People from the North free to move all over Ireland.

Do you stand outside counting them or something or know from the' cut of them'?
    I do not hear a deluge of Nordie accents or Nordie numberplates in the ROI.

Scab slave labour being flown in on flights.

I assume you never applied to pick the fruit. And Keelings do not get enough applications from Irish people (as the work is very hard and low paid) so had to go abroad to get the workforce.
    That is the way the world works. The product you posted with on this thread was made by cheap labour in China, the minerals to create the device were dug by cheap labour in Africa.

Travellers totally free to do what they want when they want where they want.

When in doubt blame the travellers. The Irish person's go to gripe. Hitler did the same with the Jews. I suggest you write a book called 'My Whinge'. Travellers can be prosecuted under the law like anyone else, by the way.

I am working long hours which are deemed essential.

Fair play to you for working. But be glad you have a job many people do not and will not. Also you are able to get out of the house to work. I feel you are using this as a justification to do what you like, as you work hard. To hell with everyone else.

I am going to get out for a decent drive this weekend and head for a beauty spot and get out for a walk and enjoy the sun.

What harm will you be doing that depends if you get out of the car and are in contact with other individuals - especially beyond a 5km distance travelling.

It is clear you have not been paying attention to any of the News in the last few weeks and how the idea is to prevent the Health Systems being overwhelmed. I suggest you watch 'Pandemic' on Netflix since you like films and do not wish to pay heed to government and HSE guidelines. There is also more serious discussions on covid19 as well on Netflix. If you have to ask this question 'what harm will you be doing' you must be obtuse or a bit slow.

This is a discussion forum we are not living in China or North Korea

From the tone of your post you seem to like to pretend you are in China or North Korea to justify to yourself that you are being harshly treated.
    But if you were in North Korea you would have far more restrictions placed on you in normal life, and you could be even executed. So your analogy is really hyperbolic.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I wonder the people who defend this lockdown and are loving it , how they'll feel when it's finally lifted - in about 2 years time ...

I wonder the people who defend this lockdown and are loving it , how they'll feel when it's finally lifted - in about 2 years time ...

I would say 'the people who defend the lockdown' as you call them are:

1) Responsible citizens

2) Show more resolve than those who whinge and whine, when they have damn all to whine about (Like the OP)

3) I doubt people who defend the lockdown are 'loving it'. They just get on with it and adapt as best they can. The more people pull in same direction the quicker it will end - in a gradual process.

--

To say people who defend the lockdown are 'loving it' is an insult to the elderly infirm and those who had to cocoon for the last few weeks. It is also an insult to the medical health professionals who are under immense pressure and putting thier lives/families lives at risk as they are trying to help strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I would say 'the people who defend the lockdown' as you call them are:

1) Responsible citizens

2) Show more resolve than whinge and whine when they have damn all to whine about (Like the OP)

3) I doubt people who defend the lockdown are 'loving it'. They just get on with it and adapt as best they can. The more people pull in same direction the quicker it will end - in a gradual process.

--

To say people who defend the lockdown are 'loving it' is an insult to the elderly infirm and those who had to cocoon for the last few weeks. It is also an insult to the medical health professionals who are under immense pressure and putting thier lives/families lives at risk as they are trying to help strangers.

It's the height of nonsense, nobody is 'loving it'. There's a few numbskulls on this forum that have been throwing that 'loving it' phrase about in a way to insult those they disagree with.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's the height of nonsense, nobody is 'loving it'. There's a few numbskulls on this forum that have been throwing that 'loving it' phrase about in a way to insult those they disagree with.

Auld next door neighbour in his 70's was going demented - has underlying health conditions. Not really one for using technology misses the grandkids. He would not really go out much anyway. But when he was forced to cocoon (saw him standing at door or garden) he seemed to struggling to cope with the fact he could not go where he wanted to freely. Prisoner in his own home he said etc.

He is mad for chat at the best of times, living with his wife. Came out with a great line across the garden a few days ago. A lot of marriages are going to break up because of this covid19 thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Can someone tell me what restriction was placed on the over 70's?
    The government seems to have made a big deal of getting this restriction lifted, did it actually exist in the first place? My understanding was the over 70's were advised to stay indoors but there was no legal requirements to do so.

Advertisement