Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Sorry for your loss and all that, but I for one, don't think your unique perspective is decisive in any of this.

Actually, I think what you're doing here is bad form.

I wouldn't be posting here at all this evening if I'd

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113352124&postcount=468

But sure, we're all different I suppose.

Wow, thats sounds sincere. Well its not as if I can go an be with my family, seeing as thats not allowed, my parents are cocooning and I am high risk. But yeah, sure, have a go anyway.

I actually made a request to Boards Admin a few days ago, to put up a thread on the Covid-19 forum where those of us who have lost family could post, do you know what they told me?

"It would be inadvisable, as it would be trolled." Imagine that.

But I guess given the tone of your reply, they know what they're about.

AulWan wrote: »
    Wow, thats sounds sincere. Well its not as if I can go an be with my family, seeing as thats not allowed, my parents are cocooning and I am high risk. But yeah, sure, have a go anyway.

I actually made a request to Boards Admin a few days ago, to put up a thread on the Covid-19 forum where those of us who have lost family could post, do you know what they told me?

"It would be inadvisable, as it would be trolled." Imagine that.

Perhaps consider setting up a private Facebook group for those that have lost loved ones in this crisis perhaps then the mods of this forum could then put up a link to it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

AulWan wrote: »

I am sincere. I would not be posting here this evening if I had lost a 'precious' member of my family this morning.

I am also sincerely telling you that even if I had, I would not be posting in the manner you did, here -

You highlighted your own intent.

Sniping on the internet at people with a different perspective to your own, is an odd way to mourn.
    I actually made a request to Boards Admin a few days ago, to put up a thread on the Covid-19 forum where those of us who have lost family could post,

That's your business, not mine. It's also irrelevant.
    do you know what they told me? "It would be inadvisable, as it would be trolled." Imagine that.

You didn't get the thread you wanted, and against advice you played the card anyway. That's on you.

You not getting what you want here does not constitute trolling on my part. I am certainly not doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This half lockdown is the job. Off the cigarettes and boos, the family life is very harmonious, the weather has played a blinder. Working a 3 day week. Its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gal2glam wrote: »
    It’s not just about income. It’s about people’s routines, their sanity, their mental health. Not everything is one dimensional.

Come on, there are plenty of people who had to recover from serious surgery a lot longer than this has gone on so far.
    Personally I think it is the 'me me me' generation that is doing the most whining about a little loss of freedom.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Come on there are plenty of people who had to recover from serious surgery a lot longer than this has gone on so far.
    Personally I think it is the 'me me me' generation that is doing the most whining.

The "me me me" segment of the population which spans multiple generations are those who are rubbing their hands with glee as they get €350 for sitting on their holes watching Netflix, blissfully ignorant of the social and economic carnage going on around them.

Come on, there are plenty of people who had to recover from serious surgery a lot longer than this has gone on so far.
    Personally I think it is the 'me me me' generation that is doing the most whining about a little loss of freedom.

Silly comparison.

And calling it a 'little loss of freedom' is beyond ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I am sincere. I would not be posting here this evening if I had lost a 'precious' member of my family this morning.

I am also sincerely telling you that even if I had, I would not be posting in the manner you did, here -

You highlighted your own intent.

Sniping on the internet at people with a different perspective to your own, is an odd way to mourn.

That's your business, not mine. It's also irrelevant.

You didn't get the thread you wanted, and against advice you played the card anyway. That's on you.

You not getting what you want here does not constitute trolling on my part. I am certainly not doing so.

Well if you want someone to think you're sincere here's a tip.

Don't offer your condolences by saying "Sorry for your loss, and all that." like you couldn't even be bothered to formulate the proper words.

Yet you're perfectly able to formulate the sentences to have a go at me for posting when you think I shouldn't be here.

I'm not playing any cards. I asked for a thread, the mod said it wasn't a good idea as it would be trolled, and I accepted that. But I feel its very unfair that the one voice that isn't being heard in all this is the voices of the families of the deceased. Maybe if it was heard it might make those who've been lost seem a bit more then a "statistic" to those of you who think this has all been blown out of proportion.

But here is the link, anyway, in case anyone is bothered looking. If you feel like it, you can click on a name and light a candle.

IrelandRemembers

Now I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

GazzaL wrote: »
    The "me me me" segment of the population which spans multiple generations are those who are rubbing their hands with glee as they get €350 for sitting on their holes watching Netflix, blissfully ignorant of the social and economic carnage going on around them.

I am sure they will eventually have to watch Pandemic or that mini-series on Covid19.
    Silly comparison.

And calling it a 'little loss of freedom' is beyond ridiculous.

How is it beyond ridiculous? There are disabled people for example who adapt to an able bodied world no whinging, no matter what thier disability. They make the best with what they can do within those limits.

Yet able bodied people cannot sit back for a few months without moaning (yes I realise many people fear for thier jobs - that I understand) But besides those who fear for thier jobs, the rest of the whingers really need to cop themselves on. The idea is to save lives in the long run.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

How is it beyond ridiculous? There are disabled people for example who adapt to an able bodied world no whinging, no matter what thier disability. They make the best with what they can do within those limits.

They have no choice, and their limitations are imposed by their condition, not by human decree.

Perhaps you would like to complete your condescension towards them by giving them an 'expert' seat on NPHET.
    Yet able bodied people cannot sit back for a few months without moaning

It would be far more odd if they could do.
    (yes I realise many people fear for thier jobs - that I understand) But besides those who fear for thier jobs, the rest of the whingers really need to cop themselves on.

Be nice if your admiration for 'disability' could run as far as empathy for mental well-being.

It is not normal what is being asked, it is by no means a 'little loss of freedom'.

It is political diktat, not physical deformity, and so not beyond criticism. 'Moaning' as you put it.

It is on those grounds that I find your comparison, as I said, silly.
    The idea is to save lives in the long run.

Actually, the idea is to save the health service in the short run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear how he got on...... Could be that some terrible fate befell him ......

Nah I enjoyed the drive and the walk in the sun and I was not the only person out and I came into contract with nobody.

Those wishing for me to be in a fatal crash are total filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

How much has our death rate risen in comparison to the same period last year??

I don't have the answer to your question re Ireland but the below has some interesting data. Excess deaths analysis from the economist. EuroMOMO dataset includes Ireland.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

I'm sick of it too. But I'm not sure what else could have been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Restrictions maybe lifted sooner than expected. From the main thread.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/reply/2058075500/post/113355476

In other words the restrictions have been a disaster and the government is trying to save face.

People in the at risk group need to isolate healthy should not be locked up or made feel guilty.

The people who should have been protected had sick people discharged into their care homes.

I am given this lockdown two fingers and I am not interested in the nasty venom from the pro lockdown zealots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

GazzaL wrote: »

Yeah yeah. You've made the same point about a million times.

We get you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

In other words the restrictions have been a disaster and the government is trying to save face.

People in the at risk group need to isolate healthy should not be locked up or made feel guilty.

The people who should have been protected had sick people discharged into their care homes.

I am given this lockdown two fingers and I am not interested in the nasty venom from the pro lockdown zealots.

My reaction on seeing this post.

It's funny how black and things are too people. It's either one extreme or the other but nothing in the middle. You don't agree with lifting restrictions, you're a pro lockdown zealot. You agree with a moderate but not full lifting of restrictions, you're shouted down as a pro lockdown zealot.

You see the same on politics threads. People shouting far right or looney left at posters they disagree with. Abortion debate threads the same.

The answer is usually in the middle.

Shouty nonsense has ruined internet debate.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    My reaction on seeing this post.

It's funny how black and things are too people. It's either one extreme or the other but nothing in the middle. You don't agree with lifting restrictions, you're a pro lockdown zealot. You agree with a moderate but not full lifting of restrictions, you're shouted down as a pro lockdown zealot.

You see the same on politics threads. People shouting far right or looney left at posters they disagree with. Abortion debate threads the same.

The answer is usually in the middle.

Shouty nonsense has ruined internet debate.

I had people on this thread say they wanted be to be in a fatal crash for going out for a drive on my on and a walk on my on now that is extreme.

I was fully in support of the lockdown at the start we need to get the country moving again.

Keeping vulnerable people safe would seem like the sensible thing now with over 50% of the deaths in care homes.

Sick people got discharged into care homes by the HSE this is a fact.

Sporting events big shopping malls should be avoided for now but the 85,000 deaths warning looks beyond silly now.

Old and vulnerable people have other health conditions and these have been neglected during this lockdown.

How many cancer deaths are we going to have because of all of this?
    How many chronic conditions have been neglected during this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Tork

Sod that rant. Did you or did you not put your money where your mouth is and take that road trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

It's only a matter of time before this happens. The numbers are falling. Either we get to a point where things are near 0 in both daily cases and deaths and the government accelerates everything or people get fed up and start going back to normal themselves.

Nobody will be accepting these restrictions in 3-4 weeks when our numbers have fallen significantly. Probably sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

As someone who is expecting to get some very unpleasant news regarding the future of my job within the next 2 weeks, having worked in various forms since i was 14, i can safely say that i,ve had enough and that i increasingly suspect that we waaaay overcooked these restrictions.

Thinking about this yesterday. If people have lost their jobs due to this come the 1 phase. Will they give a ****e about restrictions at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Mod

Do not post in this thread again.

Sorry teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I had people on this thread say they wanted be to be in a fatal crash for going out for a drive on my on and a walk on my on now that is extreme.

I was fully in support of the lockdown at the start we need to get the country moving again.

Keeping vulnerable people safe would seem like the sensible thing now with over 50% of the deaths in care homes.

Sick people got discharged into care homes by the HSE this is a fact.

Sporting events big shopping malls should be avoided for now but the 85,000 deaths warning looks beyond silly now.

Old and vulnerable people have other health conditions and these have been neglected during this lockdown.

How many cancer deaths are we going to have because of all of this?
    How many chronic conditions have been neglected during this time?

yet again your one of the few making absolute sense here mate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

LOL at the keyboard hardman. I'd like to see you go ahead and stick two fingers up at the Gardaí if you deliberately try to break the restrictions we are being asked to abide by. On you go :pac:

"Pro lockdown zealots", what are you blathering about. No one is "pro lockdown", most of us are complying with the restrictions primarily because the health service can not become overwhelmed. As the health service gears up the restrictions are being lifted. The roadmap is there and if things go well it may be fast-tracked. What are you panicking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

jonnny68 wrote: »
    yet again your one of the few making absolute sense here mate

Absolutely ridiculous the support that panic merchant is getting on here. He sounds like a Gemma Doherty convert. A "look at me" panic merchant loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous the support that panic merchant is getting on here. He sounds like a Gemma Doherty convert. A "look at me" panic merchant loon.

seems like the kettle calling the pot black

The irony.

Just back form my local town, very busy . Even saw trucks heading into the local Mart.
    Seems people are deciding themselves that destroying the future of the country is not a good idea.
    Wonder will Professor Nolan explain his tweet from yesterday at today's conference.

We got the Irish “Martin Luther King” right here.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LOL at the keyboard hardman. I'd like to see you go ahead and stick two fingers up at the Gardaí if you deliberately try to break the restrictions we are being asked to abide by. On you go :pac:

"Pro lockdown zealots", what are you blathering about. No one is "pro lockdown", most of us are complying with the restrictions primarily because the health service can not become overwhelmed. As the health service gears up the restrictions are being lifted. The roadmap is there and if things go well it may be fast-tracked. What are you panicking about?

“I'd like to see you go ahead and stick two fingers up at the Gardaí if you deliberately try to break the restrictions we are being asked to abide by. On you go“ - I have 2 fingers to the Gardai in Saturday. Me and friends went for bbq and beers on the beach. Great craic.

Should the sky be falling down yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just back form my local town, very busy . Even saw trucks heading into the local Mart.
    Seems people are deciding themselves that destroying the future of the country is not a good idea.
    Wonder will Professor Nolan explain his tweet from yesterday at today's conference.

Bills to pay, loans to honour...happy clappy ****e from NPHET and the government won't cut when property is being re-possessed. Their so called "plan" is a shambles and people are voting with their feet and wallets. Because they have to

Advertisement