Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

polesheep wrote: »
    No, no, no. Just stop. There are mentally ill people who want you or anybody else as far away from them as possible. Just don't go there. Thank you.

Did you see the words a lot of people you bolded. It means not everybody. I will agree with you there is not 1 solution to everybody but guess what that is true for everything in life.

I will also concede I probably should not have used the words mental illness that is an umbrella word for a lot. I was also talking about people going crazy in these last few weeks. Just because my suggestion will not help everybody does not mean they could not help some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I know no one here has the answer, but do people think that there will still be a limit on the allowable distance you can travel?

I'm hoping they lift the 2km restriction altogether instead of imposing another limit like 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nermal wrote: »
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242260406.html

University of Miami randomised study finds 165,000 Miami-Dade residents with antibodies. 0.14% fatality rate, given reported deaths.

Every day, more evidence that our policies were an over-reaction and a failure. That the small number of additional years of life we are saving is not justified by the gargantuan costs.

It's hard to get institutions to admit error and change course.

So just remember yourself in a year's time, when the excuses flow - an alternative was possible, that serious commentators and experts questioned the panic.

It's not so much the death rate they were concerned about it's the HSE ablity to cope.

The official stance has never denied that there are going to be deaths and lots of them and locking down is not going to change that, nor was it ever intended to - but if they all show up at the hospital at the same time, then it increases the number of deaths from other causes that can't get treated due to the resoruces all being funneled to the epidemic.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

VonLuck wrote: »
    I know no one here has the answer, but do people think that there will still be a limit on the allowable distance you can travel?

I'm hoping they lift the 2km restriction altogether instead of imposing another limit like 10km.

I think they're going to draw a number out of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

I'd say it could be extended but by June it will have to go altogether. People won't tolerate it long term.

• Advertisement

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Ah no just turn on the PlayStation and it'll be grand. That's what some genius suggested a few pages ago.

That was me and no I did not suggest just that. I suggested way people may be able to get in contact with other people and have a social life that way. There was a good few other suggestions by me an others. But I suppose since it's not a 1 size fits all we should not try stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Source?

His arse

I constantly see people who cannot understand that action taken to mitigate a problem resulting in a positive outcome does not mean that problem never existed. Y2K needs to be added to curricula worldwide since it's the perfect way of teaching this concept. "What a waste of money! Nothing happened at midnight!" is the exact same as saying "What a waste of money! ICU isn't even full!". Massive effort is sometimes required to avoid disaster.

It's remarkable how grown adults cannot connect the dots and realise the problem was avoided. It seems that every successful proactive measure taken in the history of humanity has had some guy pipe up and say "Sure nothing happened! What was the point?!" while everyone else stands around awkwardly feeling sorry for his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

2km up to 10km would be a good start, if you put it on a map it actually does open things up a lot, but I agree I'd like to see it removed altogether. Being stuck inside a 2km radius is by far the worst aspect of the lockdown for me, and the least effective as far as I can see. The local streets arm jammed full of joggers and walkers and you spend more time weaving between the crowds to maintain 2m distance than actually walking. I'd usually walk or jog in spacious park where I'd easily keep distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

That was me and no I did not suggest just that. I suggested way people may be able to get in contact with other people and have a social life that way. There was a good few other suggestions by me an others. But I suppose since it's not a 1 size fits all we should not try stuff

You do realize how emotionally immature that sounded? If someone's depressed from losing their job, not seeing family, losing their house what good is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Problem with increasing limit is people will all pile into some small seaside town or forest park, it will be all over twitter and everybody will throw their toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Del Boy wrote: »
    I'd say it could be extended but by June it will have to go altogether. People won't tolerate it long term.
    I really don't think we'd get to June on a tiny expansion like this. One of the problems of the rumoured 5km or 10km is that it looks somewhat cosmetic and it does not not address the issue of people whose families are well beyond this limit. I don't think people are itching to get into shops but being able to see family would be a good mental boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

easypazz wrote: »
    Problem with increasing limit is people will all pile into some small seaside town or forest park, it will be all over twitter and everybody will throw their toys out of the pram.

Those twitter hoardes just need to be told that there is practically zero risk of infection in the outdoors.
    The CMO I'm sure knows this but he's all about the optics of those pictures and pile ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I realise the importance of the measure introduced to suppress the initial surge in cases and to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed.

We are now 4 months into knowing about this virus and understanding it have had plenty of time for contingency plans.

What we are doing currently is not sustainable. Both economically and socially. The easing of measures put simply has to start after the bank holiday weekend .
    By easing I dont mean opening pubs and allowing 80k in croke park. But people have to get back to work. Retail outlets, hair and beauty, restaurants and various others need to be allowed trade again.
    Introduce guidelines and measure for all to follow .

A vaccine could be 1/2 years away . This isnt living . And people including me wont continue to live like this until one is found .

Look after the high risk and vulnerable. Let everyone else back to work and a somewhat normal way of life . Manage the infection through the population and get on with life .

This will strangle us and life indefinitely if not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Those twitter hoardes just need to be told that there is practically zero risk of infection in the outdoors.
    The CMO I'm sure knows this but he's all about the optics of those pictures and pile ons.

There was somebody on here the other day complaining that when he was out in his car there were lots of cars on the road.

Pot, kettle, black.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Some cheek of the Govt to beat us with the complacency stick when they have all these
    flights arriving without people been checked.

another one on the way

https://www.flightradar24.com/BLA3VA/24679691

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    You do realize how emotionally immature that sounded? If someone's depressed from losing their job, not seeing family, losing their house what good is that?

I have not seen my family in ages. I have missed birthday parties and can not go and see my mothers grave which is in another county. My job and house ain't at risk as I can still work which I am thankful for. So yes I get it, will my suggestion help some I hope so but I know it will not for other. Should people just shut up unless they have a 1 size fits all solution.

SNNUS wrote: »
    Some cheek of the Govt to beat us with the complacency stick when they have all these
    flights arriving without people been checked.

another one on the way

https://www.flightradar24.com/BLA3VA/24679691

You got a source of how many people on it or if it bringing in cargo or they won't be isolating. I mean where are they going to go

You do know just because it's near zero now does not make is so in the future just go f it and socialize together

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I definitely think some restrictions should be gradually eased on May 5th. Isolation is the absolute worst thing for mental health. There have been people who have lost loved ones without a chance to pay their respects, kids of separated parents who can't see their mother or father, isolated grandparents and elderly folk. I can wait for pubs, restaurants, hotels etc as they will be able to adapt to new norms and bounce back, but many will suffer untold hardship (not just economical) if nothing changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

When do people reckon realistically physiotherapists and beauty salons will re-open? I have back and neck problems that are exacerbated at the moment and my acne is flaring up badly without getting treatments

I know others are much worse off and don't mean to sound selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭celt262

katie275 wrote: »
    When do people reckon realistically physiotherapists and beauty salons will re-open? I have back and neck problems that are exacerbated at the moment and my acne is flaring up badly without getting treatments

Nobody can answer you that only guess. My guess is that the beautician wont be open for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

If the country wants to know why the people are moving around again they only have to look to Keelings. This was the beginning of the end of lockdown. Throw in the Travellers doing as they please and you'll soon get the picture. How many extra lives it costs we'll know someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The power is going to Tony’s head. There’s a real school headmaster vibe off him and no one likes being told off by a school teacher. Harris is sitting up at the top of the class with his briefcase. The teacher’s pet.

Sooner we start seeing and hearing less of either of them, the better.

And so it begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Tosser

It's a sad state of affairs where a man is abused for having a couple of pints with his friends.

Welcome to the Ireland of the Lockdown Nazis

nj27 wrote: »
    2km up to 10km would be a good start, if you put it on a map it actually does open things up a lot, but I agree I'd like to see it removed altogether. Being stuck inside a 2km radius is by far the worst aspect of the lockdown for me, and the least effective as far as I can see. The local streets arm jammed full of joggers and walkers and you spend more time weaving between the crowds to maintain 2m distance than actually walking. I'd usually walk or jog in spacious park where I'd easily keep distance.

I think that 10km might have the consequence of huge concentrations of people in Howth and the likes. Draw a circle around 10km of Dublin City centre and you don’t get that many places that people will go to. If people are going to be release from the 2km, they need to be given the opportunity to spread out further into the country. To head out west or into the Wicklow mountain etc, just like it was in the couple of weeks before this current lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's a sad state of affairs where a man is abused for having a couple of pints with his friends.

Welcome to the Ireland of the Lockdown Nazis

Not when it puts others at risk it isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

katie275 wrote: »

There are still physiotherapists open in dublin at least

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think that 10km might have the consequence of huge concentrations of people in Howth and the likes. Draw a circle around 10km of Dublin City centre and you don’t get that many places that people will go to. If people are going to be release from the 2km, they need to be given the opportunity to spread out further into the country. To head out west or into the Wicklow mountain etc, just like it was in the couple of weeks before this current lockdown

It doesn’t matter if they go 2, 10 or 10,000 km.
    If people maintain some form of social distancing in an outdoor environment there is zero risk of cross infection.

It’s a stupid rule that needs lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If they don't start to relax the restrictions after May the 5th, people are entitled to ask 'what-the actual-fcuk is the plan?'.

What are we waiting for?
    The virus to die off - not happening.
    A vaccine to be available - not happening.

There is literally no justification for an extension of the current restrictions. We will be in the exact same place as we are now in 4 or 8 or 12 weeks time.

We need to get back to something resembling normality!

Holohan needs to be reigned back in - nobody has elected this fcuker to lecture us and remove our democratic freedoms.
    Having to listen to the merchant of doom pontificating every evening is galling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement