Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

khalessi wrote: »
    If they had nothing today the hospitals would be over run. They have done something and they are not. Now we have to come out of this and the question is how to proceed to continue to maintain hospitals not over run.

We will come out of this, the world eventually went back to normal after other pandemics and we will here too, just a question of the next step

Ok my question is very difficult but I'll try again. We are heading on for week 7 of restrictions.
    From Monday April 27th 2020 onwards what benefit are the restrictions? We know what benefit the previous 7 weeks have been please stop quoting the hospitals been over ran or we will have to clap and watch another hospital dance video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    How people behave this weekend will play a huge part in the lifting of restrictions.

The seismic activity data will be analysed early next week.

Interesting questions were raised in the dail during the week about This.
    Tracking of the general public.
    There will be plenty of interesting times ahead .
    The regality of certain aspects of measures been used are definitely been put under the spotlight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I've worked in pubs mostly non stop since 1996, I know a lot of publicans in Dublin and I can tell you its happening. Maybe not that guy that you are talking about but its definitely happening. One pub near me is only closed in the sense that the shutters on the front are closed, the entrance at the back lane is open for regulars. I had a few pints myself on Thursday but the owner was strict about social distance and hygiene

OK. Taking this post at face value do you believe that maintaining social distancing and hygiene regulations in a pub are practicable after a few pints have been consumed no matter how strict the owner`s intentions may be? What if the drinkers had ignored the measures? What would have happened then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Ok my question is very difficult but I'll try again. We are heading on for week 7 of restrictions.
    From Monday April 27th 2020 onwards what benefit are the restrictions? We know what benefit the previous 7 weeks have been please stop quoting the hospitals been over ran or we will have to clap and watch another hospital dance video

Well lets lift them and in 3 weeks you can answer your own questions when it goes tits up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I think the government are on the edge of pushing their luck with the people.

They just keep on announcing high numbers every day and have the public in a state of panic / want to give up on this. Why are numbers high again - when will they be low. Can you get this walking outside ? What is low growth ? when will this end ?

Countries at a similar point to us have plans now to start opening up again and they are going on as if - if we are not good boys and girls - more to come as we were bold.
    They're losing the audience, and they know it.

I'd say their current fear is they'll extend the restrictions, and no-one cares.

Maybe followed up with proper legal challenges to the restrictions by resourced organisation like CIF and the Restaurants Association.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    as a results we get our economy crippled by the lockdown without the benefits of stopping the spread

I’m sceptical of the so called lockdown having any real effect on numbers.

Balf wrote: »

I'd say their current fear is they'll extend the restrictions, and no-one cares.

Maybe followed up with proper legal challenges to the restrictions by resourced organisation like CIF and the Restaurants Association.

I suppose that would explain Tony’s thinly veiled threats the other night. I never thought I’d see the day in Ireland when some unelected bureaucrat would be threatening our person liberty, economic freedom and prosperity. But here we are

khalessi wrote: »
    Well lets lift them and in 3 weeks you can answer your own questions when it goes tits up

What will go tits up?

NDWC wrote: »
    If people have started going out and about in greater numbers I don't see how that trend can be reversed, are people all of a sudden going to just stay indoors en masse?

We had 6 months of the most miserable wet awful weather up until this episode. The weather has been glorious the past month. Of course people are going to try get out and about- it’s the most natural thing and good for people’s health both physically and mentally. The propaganda and police enforced measures fly in the face of that

road_high wrote: »
    I suppose that would explain Tony’s thinly veiled threats the other night. I never thought I’d see the day in Ireland when some unelected bureaucrat would be threatening our person liberty, economic freedom and prosperity. But here we are

And if Tony and his colleagues were saying that everything is rosy in the garden lads, lift all restrictions immediately, I suppose you would be stating that they are the best things since the sliced pan even though they would still be "unelected bureaucrats".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Balf wrote: »

That's been known from Day 1, even before these restrictions. We've hit the outer limits of that 4-6 weeks. Can't see any legal challenges by any bodies, as it will ultimately be down to whether employees show up for work. Whatever they decide it must be very clear and give a sense of progression. That to me means weekly or 14 day targets.

Compared to what alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Me too, its just postponing the inevitable and potentially decimating the economy while its at it.

And if Tony and his colleagues were saying that everything is rosy in the garden lads, lift all restrictions immediately, I suppose you would be stating that they are the best things since the sliced pan even though they would still be "unelected bureaucrats".

No one I’ve very little interest in what he has to say either way- he stood over a disaster in nursing homes and also a ppe fiasco.
    Now he’s optically being over cautious to paper over that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That was me. In the Y2K bug a small number of software programmes had potential issues that were addressed easily. The point I was making was that people were lead believe that banks would fail, hospital equipment would fail, people were advised to stock pile food and water in the UK. Now if you think that was an appropriate response to a non issue in 1999 I hope you dont lay eggs

It's BECAUSE the issues were addressed that banks and hospital equipment didn't fail. No one was advised to stock pile food and water.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's BECAUSE the issues were addressed that banks and hospital equipment didn't fail. No one was advised to stock pile food and water.

No its because it was a minor issue that was adressed appropriately. What wasnt appropriate was being advised to stock pile food and causing panic among the population. And yes they were advised to stockpile food.

No one I’ve very little interest in what he has to say either way- he stood over a disaster in nursing homes and also a ppe fiasco.
    Now he’s optically being over cautious to paper over that

Its a win win situation for him. He can blame the people outside the care homes for the issues within. And extending the restrictions is a win win because he will claim the restrictions had an effect. Even though it could be argued the restrictions had absolutely no effect and most of us were infected and asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yes. Longer if required

Then feel free to stay locked up as is your choice.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Benimar wrote: »
    No one believes you!

I didn`t up to now but on reflection going by this particular poster`s attitude I think it did happen. People like him are the reason why the restrictions will probably be extended and as per usual of course they will blame everyone else but themselves when this is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

It's a sad state of affairs where a man is abused for having a couple of pints with his friends.

Welcome to the Ireland of the Lockdown Nazis

Sad state when someone breaks multiple laws and people remain on their side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

People going outside are actually helping the Doctors and nurses

https://twitter.com/FatEmperor/status/1254006430203555840

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

We had 6 months of the most miserable wet awful weather up until this episode. The weather has been glorious the past month. Of course people are going to try get out and about- it’s the most natural thing and good for people’s health both physically and mentally. The propaganda and police enforced measures fly in the face of that

When you are in hospital lying on a bed gasping for breath because it feels like an elephant is sitting on your chest you won't give a sh1t about the weather outside.

Stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

When you are in hospital lying on a bed gasping for breath because it feels like an elephant is sitting on your chest you won't give a sh1t about the weather outside.

Stay at home.

Honestly, yours has to be the most ironic name on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

People going outside are actually helping the Doctors and nurses

https://twitter.com/FatEmperor/status/1254006430203555840

Don't older people have lower amounts of vitamin D?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Stay at home.

Here's a link to a study that shows going outside in the Sun means you won't be gasping on a hospital bed.

https://t.co/UkfYv8P8bS?amp=1

Where is your source for your nonsense statement?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Don't older people have lower amounts of vitamin D?
    I believe there are up to 1bn people worldwide who are Vitamin D deficient, not all of those are in that cohort .

Stay at home.

Make yourself a cup of tea. Take a few minutes. And think is this an appropriate response to something thats carries a risk of 1 in 5000. When NASA send crews to space the odds of the rocket imploding 1 in 100 but they still insist on it and have no issue sending men to space. Sunshine is important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Bit much for government to be going on now about relaxation of public .
    For the last few weeks Travellers have been going to funerals in large numbers , having 21STs in Longford , having fights , even set up a large campsite in the curragh and it’s allowed why should all non travellers stay at home ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

is_that_so wrote: »
    I believe there are up to 1bn people worldwide who are Vitamin D deficient, not all of those are in that cohort .

Vitamin D deficiency is quite common in Ireland particularly during the winter when we get so little sun, unless we are eating oily fish several times a week (I doubt many of us do) we will struggle to get enough, it's an issue for all ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seamai wrote: »
    Vitamin D deficiency is quite common in Ireland particularly during the winter when we get so little sun, unless we are eating oily fish several times a week (I doubt many of us do) we will struggle to get enough, it's an issue for all ages.

Our GP told us years ago to take Vit D for at least nine months of the year .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement