Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Scoondal wrote: »
    Can schools not have a once a week two hours in school so that those kinds of students can still see a physical link with their school ?

Write Tony an email and tell him what to do.

Just so you know schools and teachers have no input into this process as all. We get told when to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Schools re-opening in August will further highlight the farcical decision of giving into online pressure and cancelling the leaving cert exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

This is my opinion since April.

I have two young children. For one, this is like water off a duck's back. The other is asking when will the virus be gone. He no longer wants to do any school work. He has lost his interest in school and his non school interests.

Can schools not have a once a week two hours in school so that those kinds of students can still see a physical link with their school ?

At best (assuming schools could open next week - highly unlikely) they would have 4 days before summer holidays.

It could go either way for kids, some might realise what they have been missing and get upset once school closes again, some may be delighted to be back.

My own view is that schools aren’t ready (setting up social distance, timetabling staggered starts, handwashing etc) so it would be mid June before they are ready. There probably isn’t any point at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I have two young children. For one, this is like water off a duck's back. The other is asking when will the virus be gone. He no longer wants to do any school work. He has lost his interest in school and his non school interests.

Going to be a major challenge to get them back into things, the longer it goes on the bigger the issues will be when the schools reopen.

Learning is one thing but I think classrooms will see a huge increase in behavioural problems too.

It's going to be a struggle after taking young kids out of a school environment for 6 months and then expecting them to return as normal when the schools are open again.

Crazy to think in a couple of weeks we might have single figure cases and there's still no prospect of schools reopening.

There's getting the balance right between containment of the virus and letting the restrictions negatively impact everyone for years to come and at the moment they need to accelerate lifting of restrictions including getting schools back open.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Just so you know schools and teachers have no input into this process as all. We get told when to open.

I am not blaming teachers or schools.
    I am blaming the Department of Education. They are responsible for the school shutdown and have no plans to re-open schools any time soon. But Ireland is always the exception compared to normal EU countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Benimar wrote: »
    At best (assuming schools could open next week - highly unlikely) they would have 4 days before summer holidays.

It could go either way for kids, some might realise what they have been missing and get upset once school closes again, some may be delighted to be back.

My own view is that schools aren’t ready (setting up social distance, timetabling staggered starts, handwashing etc) so it would be mid June before they are ready. There probably isn’t any point at that stage.

Agreed. No point in opening in June, it would be chaotic at this stage and do no good. End the school year now and reopen early (August).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

Primary schools don't get holidays until end June (except a few private ones); creches don't do holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

I am not blaming teachers or schools.
    I am blaming the Department of Education. They are responsible for the school shutdown and have no plans to re-open schools any time soon. But Ireland is always the exception compared to normal EU countries.

Actually you can’t blame the department of Education for this one. Trust me I’d happily blame them if necessary!

Agreed. No point in opening in June, it would be chaotic at this stage and do no good. End the school year now and reopen early (August).

I'd say that's exactly what will happen, schools will be added to phase 5 and will need to be ready to open by then.

Kids don't want to be in doing schoolwork when they can be out playing with their friends etc now and enjoying themselves. It's a real novelty for them after everything.

Secondary schools wind up end of this week anyway. Five more weeks left of primary school, they should call it done for both as of the end of this week. Primary schools back the 10th of August and secondary back last few days of August as normal.

Jizique wrote: »
    Primary schools don't get holidays until end June (except a few private ones); creches don't do holidays

Yes, so one day a week as the OP suggested gives 4 days in total.

• Advertisement

Murple wrote: »
    Actually you can’t blame the department of Education for this one. Trust me I’d happily blame them if necessary!

Who closed the schools ? Who should have a plan for a "soft" reopening of schools ? Who ?

Who closed the schools ? Who should have a plan for a "soft" reopening of schools ? Who ?

Well Leo closed the schools...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

And get full pay for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tunsil

Seems optimistic to me given that things haven't really slowed down much at this point. I would have to think that some form of distance learning will be part of whatever happens with the education system, at least for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

UK opening primary schools on the 1st of June, jealous I am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52792769

Not a fan of mr Johnson but he’s right in saying "the education of our children is crucial for their welfare, their health, their long-term future and for social justice". Pity something so simple is going amiss in here and Ireland will be one of the very few countries where schools are closed in June.

Tunsil wrote: »
    Seems optimistic to me given that things haven't really slowed down much at this point. I would have to think that some form of distance learning will be part of whatever happens with the education system, at least for this year.

Ireland currently meets all the WHO criteria necessary to reopen schools, that's now as we stand today.

There's no way they should be closed for a further 3+ months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's a dilemma alright, and even though I have no school going kids now I am interested in the topic.

Seems to me that pupils of any age do not require social distancing as they don't seem to be susceptible to the disease. However there are at risk groups and SEN kids to consider too.

I suppose the big risk is the transmission of the virus from kids to teachers/SNAs. I don't know how it will work out, and sorry that I haven't managed to contribute much more to the debate!

I contacted my son's school a month ago with my concerns which are that : as I am now doing home schooling, I will be also going to Lanzarote on cheap holidays this winter. They can ask me for "absence notes", but they will not be sent by me.
    I am far more engaged in my children's education than the Irish schools system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I remember we had to send in personal hand towels, tissues and hand sanitisers with school kids during the swine flu pandemic. Our school started this again back in early March.

I'd say the hot water issue could be for safety more than anything else.

All kids should have their own hygiene pack in their bag and towels changed daily. Never mind coronavirus, the amount of colds and vomiting bugs that could be avoided.

Kids should pick up bugs. It's how their immune system developes.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Jizique wrote: »

Crèches will be reopening for essential workers on the 29th June.

• Advertisement

Well Leo closed the schools...

He also doesn't want to be last to reopen either as it will, what did he say 'reflect badly on Ireland'.

Apart from Spain and Italy (two of the worst hit countries) most EU countries have either already gone back to school or will return in the next week so he'd want to get cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

The uk have a very restricted reopening though. It’s not business as usual by any means. Isn’t it just reception and year 6 and at that, all parents have a choice as to whether to send their kids or not. Furthermore social distancing is still recommended. Poland are reopening schools on a similar basis next week. Not full classes, priority given to parents of kids who can’t wfh, they won’t be covering curricular material - all of that still has to be done when the child gets home. I can see some argument for a similar arrangement for key workers and gradually reopening from there, but with such restrictions you’re talking a babysitting service, not school. It wouldn’t be anywhere near normal for the kids as they wouldn’t be in their normal class groups, with their normal teacher or covering class material.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why would you propose that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It's a dilemma alright, and even though I have no school going kids now I am interested in the topic.

Seems to me that pupils of any age do not require social distancing as they don't seem to be susceptible to the disease. However there are at risk groups and SEN kids to consider too.

I suppose the big risk is the transmission of the virus from kids to teachers/SNAs. I don't know how it will work out, and sorry that I haven't managed to contribute much more to the debate!

It's unavoidable that there will be lots of close contact between the teachers and the kids and amongst the kids. It is a risk we are going to have to live with if we are going to ever reopen the schools. All this talk about smaller class sizes etc seems pretty irrelevant when the kids (particularly younger kids) just won't be able to follow any social distance rules.

The only risk we can prevent is adult to adult transmission in and around schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

I contacted my son's school a month ago with my concerns which are that : as I am now doing home schooling, I will be also going to Lanzarote on cheap holidays this winter. They can ask me for "absence notes", but they will not be sent by me.

Aren't you great with your 2 student classroom. You should write to the minister and tell him you've a new pedagogical model.

I'd say that's exactly what will happen, schools will be added to phase 5 and will need to be ready to open by then.

Kids don't want to be in doing schoolwork when they can be out playing with their friends etc now and enjoying themselves. It's a real novelty for them after everything.

Secondary schools wind up end of this week anyway. Five more weeks left of primary school, they should call it done for both as of the end of this week. Primary schools back the 10th of August and secondary back last few days of August as normal.

[QUOTE=D

Jim Root wrote: »
    And get full pay for the privilege.

Well I can't talk for all teachers but I can for myself and i'm working remotely so why shouldn't I be receiving my full pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

Well I can't talk for all teachers but I can for myself and i'm working remotely so why shouldn't I be receiving my full pay?

Because you're privileged lol

Why wouldn't you give the absence notes that are required? We have to report any child that accumulates absences of 20 or more days.

• Advertisement

It's unavoidable that there will be lots of close contact between the teachers and the kids and amongst the kids. It is a risk we are going to have to live with if we are going to ever reopen the schools. All this talk about smaller class sizes etc seems pretty irrelevant when the kids (particularly younger kids) just won't be able to follow any social distance rules.

The only risk we can prevent is adult to adult transmission in and around schools.

The numbers are going the right way and projections look like we'll be down to more or less zero new cases by end of July/start of August.

Hopefully that is close to what will happen and there won't be any need for social distancing rules for kids at all, it's so unnatural for them.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement