Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Scoondal wrote: »
    I, for one, would not be complaining.

Me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Why complain then about teachers if you are intending to keep the kids at home to home school then? Formal education system has nothing to do with either of ye going forward by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's a dilemma alright, and even though I have no school going kids now I am interested in the topic.

Seems to me that pupils of any age do not require social distancing as they don't seem to be susceptible to the disease. However there are at risk groups and SEN kids to consider too.

I suppose the big risk is the transmission of the virus from kids to teachers/SNAs. I don't know how it will work out, and sorry that I haven't managed to contribute much more to the debate!

Where does this come from? Children have been shown to suffer the same attack rate¹ and have the same viral load² as adults.

¹ https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30287-5/fulltext
    ² https://zoonosen.charite.de/fileadmin/user_upload/microsites/m_cc05/virologie-ccm/dateien_upload/Weitere_Dateien/analysis-of-SARS-CoV-2-viral-load-by-patient-age.pdf

Why bother. Someone will counter it with a link to something from the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

You are doing not one piece of my job.

Correct. I home schooled my son for 6 weeks. He gave up when I told him that he would not return to school until September.
    I am no longer doing the job that you are still paid to do. Why should I do your job ? I will educate my son my way. If we want to go abroad in the future, we will go regardless of some made up "school term".
    I can see a more liberal attitude to education in the near future. I now have the experience of home schooling to know that authoritarian schooling has nothing to offer children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Correct. I home schooled my son for 6 weeks. He gave up when I told him that he would not return to school until September.
    I am no longer doing the job that you are still paid to do. Why should I do your job ? I will educate my son my way. If we want to go abroad in the future, we will go regardless of some made up "school term".
    I can see a more liberal attitude to education in the near future. I now have the experience of home schooling to know that authoritarian schooling has nothing to offer children.

But... home schooling is essentially you educating your son your way? If that's what you say you are going to do instead of home schooling, what have you been doing up to now?

Also, no one is trying to stop you taking your son abroad so why do you keep acting like it is some sort of act of defiance? You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about education and the system that we use.

Adios so.

Maybe the secondary teachers on here can answers this for, how does 'home schooling' fit in at second level when it meets CBA's and projects within the likes of the practical subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

You are doing not one piece of my job.

I think you'll find some fallout from this when the schools are back open and children are so used to having months of one to one tuition with parents.

It's going to be a tough few weeks to get them back into a classroom learning environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

As a teacher I see nothing wrong with taking your child on holidays during the school year. Even if you went for 2 weeks youd only miss 10 days. Plus your child will have lots of memories of it. Children and people learn from experiences so if thats when you want to holiday why not?! I dont know of one person who has ever had their attendance or lack of followed up on since I've started teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

https://www.henireland.org/

Here is the homeschool website for anyone who want to register their children for the future.

• Advertisement

But... home schooling is essentially you educating your son your way? If that's what you say you are going to do instead of home schooling, what have you been doing up to now?

Also, no one is trying to stop you taking your son abroad so why do you keep acting like it is some sort of act of defiance? You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about education and the system that we use.

This is a prime example of something thinking they are giving the middle finger to 'THE MAN'.

This is a prime example of something thinking they are giving the middle finger to 'THE MAN'.

Apparently so...

I think you'll find some fallout from this when the schools are back open and children are so used to having months of one to one tuition with parents.

It's going to be a tough few weeks to get them back into a classroom learning environment.

Looking forward to it. I love routine and structure and surprising so do most children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

I contacted my son's school a month ago with my concerns which are that : as I am now doing home schooling, I will be also going to Lanzarote on cheap holidays this winter. They can ask me for "absence notes", but they will not be sent by me.
    I am far more engaged in my children's education than the Irish schools system.
    Yes he receives his weekly work.

He has no interest in it now. Before this, he was totally engaged with school work and the structure of class learning and loved projects and doing things at home.

My daughter who doesn't do well in school is doing very well with art, music and making up games herself.

You sound like like you're engaged with their 'education' alright.
    Isn't it great you're here to lecture the bold teachers about what education is.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    As a teacher I see nothing wrong with taking your child on holidays during the school year. Even if you went for 2 weeks youd only miss 10 days. Plus your child will have lots of memories of it. Children and people learn from experiences so if thats when you want to holiday why not?! I dont know of one person who has ever had their attendance or lack of followed up on since I've started teaching.

In the school year 18/19 I had to fill in forms about 3 children including the few absence notes I had. Not sure if they go to Tusla. I just give them to the DLP in our school and then it is out of my hands.

I dont parents have any idea what reallyy goes into teaching their children and going by this thread I dont really think they wamt to know as they have it sorted. Good for them it will solve the class size problem that has been an issue if they all homeschool from now on as they will do a better job and golf can be added to the curriculum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Good luck homeschooling for life, you don't seem to even be able to get him to do work for another month as it stands. Also just make sure you educate him well enough for him to be able to participate in leaving cert/college etc, otherwise you're letting him down majorly by trying to make a point.

In the school year 18/19 I had to fill in forms about 3 children including the few absence notes I had. Not sure if they go to Tusla. I just give them to the DLP in our school and then it is out of my hands.

Really? The secretary reports our kids once they get to over 20 days but I've never heard another thing about it after that. I've had kids who miss over 20 days every year and there has never been any follow up. Its an odd system.

I agree some children will find the adjustment hard initially for lots of reasons, but August/ first weeks of September are a settling period usually anyway. Unfortunately some children don't have one to one tuition with parents.

khalessi wrote: »
    I dont parents have any idea what reallyy goes into teaching their children and going by this thread I dont really think they wamt to know as they have it sorted. Good for them it will solve the class size problem that has been an issue if they all homeschool from now on as they will do a better job and golf can be added to the curriculum.

I actually think homeschooling your child would be a lovely way to live for a short time in normal circumstances if you had the time, energy, patience and finances to not work. The person who said they will homeschool from now (and not for health reasons) does not seem to be doing it for those reasons. But it would be really interesting to see how people got on. Once their children got the same opportunities in life that children who receive a comprehensive education in school do of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

"Which would you prefer Tarquin... months of one to one tuition with Mumsy OR back to school with your friends like it was "

"Oooo Mumsy i do love the one to onesies with you with lashings of umsy lemonade and hot fudge"

I think you'll be surprisingly disappointed.:pac:

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Really? The secretary reports our kids once they get to over 20 days but I've never heard another thing about it after that. I've had kids who miss over 20 days every year and there has never been any follow up. Its an odd system.

Social services have been involved in cases of prolonged absenteeism in my school. Not every case over 20 days goes to this, I'm not sure what the criteria is as I'm not directly involved. General rule of thumb is that absenteeism can indicate child welfare issues and should be investigated if so.

One nice thing about remote teaching is the positive feedback I have been getting from the BOM and parents emailing and ringing the school about the work I am doing with their kids. It is lovely to think that the real world is not full of naysayers with limited knowledge of the education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Treppen wrote: »
    "Which would you prefer Tarquin... months of one to one tuition with Mumsy OR back to school with your friends like it was "

"Oooo Mumsy i do love the one to onesies with you with lashings of umsy lemonade and hot fudge"

I think you'll be surprisingly disappointed.:pac:

Are you OK? :eek:

I agree some children will find the adjustment hard initially for lots of reasons, but August/ first weeks of September are a settling period usually anyway. Unfortunately some children don't have one to one tuition with parents.

The settling in period is also why I personally think inspections shouldn't be allowed until October. So much good non curricular work goes on during that time that sets the children up to learn for the rest of the year during normal times.

Social services have been involved in cases of prolonged absenteeism in my school. Not every case over 20 days goes to this, I'm not sure what the criteria is as I'm not directly involved. General rule of thumb is that absenteeism can indicate child welfare issues and should be investigated if so.

Guess it depends as some families are already in the system for other things. But if I wanted to take my child out of school for a 2 week holiday and they missed very little other days I dont see anything wrong with it.

One nice thing about remote teaching is the positive feedback I have been getting from the BOM and parents emailing and ringing the school about the work I am doing with their kids. It is lovely to think that the real world is not full of naysayers with limited knowledge of the education system.

I think most people are really understanding that everyone is doing their best in a tough situation.

I got a lovely email from one of my third years today thanking me for everything and wishing me a nice summer. Ridiculous really how much it boosted my mood but was lovely to hear from a student that the last few weeks haven't been a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Boards is not a reflection of normal life out there in my opinion . You get very odd opinions on multiple threads that don’t at all reflect the vast majority of people I find

• Advertisement

I think most people are really understanding that everyone is doing their best in a tough situation.

Not everybody but maybe you are right. It would be nice to see that here but will never happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement