Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Guess it depends as some families are already in the system for other things. But if I wanted to take my child out of school for a 2 week holiday and they missed very little other days I dont see anything wrong with it.

Oh absolutely I agree with you. I don't have an issue with that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Boards is not a reflection of normal life out there in my opinion . You get very odd opinions on multiple threads that don’t at all reflect the vast majority of people I find

Totally agree with you as people get brave enough behind a keyboard to wax lyrical on topics they have little knowledge about and use it to air grievances about all sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I got a lovely email from one of my third years today thanking me for everything and wishing me a nice summer. Ridiculous really how much it boosted my mood but was lovely to hear from a student that the last few weeks haven't been a complete waste of time.

That's lovely, nice to be appreciated.

I bet you are one of those cool teachers :) some teachers have a huge impact on students and I think by that age they realise you are also a human and not just a teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Guess it depends as some families are already in the system for other things. But if I wanted to take my child out of school for a 2 week holiday and they missed very little other days I dont see anything wrong with it.

Time and a place. During June I have no issues at all with it. Id have a huge issue with a parent who takes their child out for holidays and then complains at a later time when their child can't get a concept where the foundations of that concept were put in place during the time of absence.

That's lovely, nice to be appreciated.

I bet you are one of those cool teachers :) some teachers have a huge impact on students and I think by that age they realise you are also a human and not just a teacher!

Oh I'm really not! If anything I can be a bit of a dragon and overly strict but I do try to be consistent and fair. Most students appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Well there's plenty of studies available online from public health and infectious disease experts suggesting children spread the virus far less than adults.

Far cry from what we were originally led to believe about their superspreader capabilities.
    Can you point me towards some of these studies?

Even our own HIQA report contradicts itself on this.

I've read several reports which have been represented as indicating children are less succeptable to or less likely to transmit CoViD-19 but when you read the full report they say no such thing.

At best they have said children were less likely to have been the index case in a household or that they have played a less significant role in the spread of CoViD-19 (hardly surprising when they have been stuck at home).

I've not read any studies that provide evidence that children are any less (or more) succeptable or infectious than adults.

One of the ¹largest studies ( 3712 CoViD-19 positive patients) cautions "The viral loads observed in the present study, combined with earlier findings of similar attack rate between children and adults, suggest that transmission potential in schools and kindergartens should be evaluated using the same assumptions of infectivity as for adults ... Based on the absence of any statistical evidence for a different viral load profile in children found in the present study, we have to caution against an unlimited re-opening of schools and kindergartens in the present situation, with a widely susceptible population and the necessity to keep transmission rates low via non-pharmaceutical interventions. Children may be as infectious as adults.

¹ https://zoonosen.charite.de/fileadmin/user_upload/microsites/m_cc05/virologie-ccm/dateien_upload/Weitere_Dateien/analysis-of-SARS-CoV-2-viral-load-by-patient-age.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Most of them have said that they won't. That was reported on prime time a week or two ago.

Is that the scrapped scheme for healthcare workers you’re thinking of? The roadmap states 29th June as reopening crèches for essential workers - so not at full capacity of numbers of kids.

Is that the scrapped scheme for healthcare workers you’re thinking of? The roadmap states 29th June as reopening crèches for essential workers - so not at full capacity of numbers of kids.

Not mixing it up. Think it actually could have been CB live that had it. They did some sort of poll of facilities that showed the vast majority wouldn't be opening on the date indicated on the roadmap. Insurance is the main issue I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

As a teacher I see nothing wrong with taking your child on holidays during the school year. Even if you went for 2 weeks youd only miss 10 days. Plus your child will have lots of memories of it. Children and people learn from experiences so if thats when you want to holiday why not?! I dont know of one person who has ever had their attendance or lack of followed up on since I've started teaching.

Thank you. My son missed 2 days of school in February 2019. I continued to get communications from his school up to 4 months later. But now they think it is okay to have 50 days off school.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Thank you. My son missed 2 days of school in February 2019. I continued to get communications from his school up to 4 months later. But now they think it is okay to have 50 days off school.

Once again no school decided to close. We got 1.5hrs notice to shut and have no say over when we get to go back. We will be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Time and a place. During June I have no issues at all with it. Id have a huge issue with a parent who takes their child out for holidays and then complains at a later time when their child can't get a concept where the foundations of that concept were put in place during the time of absence.

Well they obviously shouldn't be complaining but holidays are good for peoples mental health and a great family bonding experience too. Unfortunately not everyone can afford to holiday during school holidays so if they want to go off peak I say good on them. June is nearly the worst time as the kids miss out on all the fun school stuff like yours and sports days but if it works for your family then so be it.

Can you please answer some of the questions I asked you? I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.

In relation to your above post the school just need to be able to lodge the absence notes against their system. I don't know why you have an issue with this? Also the school do not think it is ok to have 50 days off school??? Where are you getting that idea from?

Parents have much more empathy with their own children than teachers. Don't stress, we are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Correct. I home schooled my son for 6 weeks. He gave up when I told him that he would not return to school until September.
    I am no longer doing the job that you are still paid to do. Why should I do your job ? I will educate my son my way. If we want to go abroad in the future, we will go regardless of some made up "school term".
    I can see a more liberal attitude to education in the near future. I now have the experience of home schooling to know that authoritarian schooling has nothing to offer children.

You have always had the right to homeschool your child. Why so angry with the schools over the closures - they have no control over that. No school is pleased that the kids are missing school right now but they have to follow the circulars of the Dept of Ed.

Enjoy Lanzarote, you not sending in a note won't bother the teacher in any way. They'll just turn in their legally mandated Tusla.

By the sounds of you I'm sure that if you decide to withdraw from the school system, the teachers won't be crying after you or your kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I took my kids on hols in January and they missed 2 days of school. Did I feel guilty no! Do they still talk about it..yes! We had a lovely 4 day family trip. I have taken them out other days to enjoy different things and I will continue to do so provided I can get the time off. Once you send a note in explaining their absence there should be no more about it. A day here and there is not going to matter to your childs education.

Can the Department of Education send me an apologetic note ?

For a global pandemic? Also I only roughly totted it up but at second level anyway isn't it 35 school days since schools closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Not mixing it up. Think it actually could have been CB live that had it. They did some sort of poll of facilities that showed the vast majority wouldn't be opening on the date indicated on the roadmap. Insurance is the main issue I think.

Ah right ok, apologies I hadn’t seen that. AFAIK the working group for getting childcare services back up and running is meeting regularly so hopefully the many issues which need to be discussed (insurance, hygiene measures, ratios of staff to children to name but a few) will be sorted in advance of 29th June and the relevant services can reopen safely for those that need childcare the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Senior infants teacher sent a lovely e mail and said the kids could go on a nature walk . She sent a list of things to look for and how they might find them
    Its little gestures like that that are keeping the small ones engaged and making sure they feel safe and in touch . Its very tough on the kids and we all need to make sure they feel safe and cared for .
    We all have a roll to play in that , parents , teachers , grandparents and its good to get the kids involved with little things like that

Can you point me towards some of these studies?

Even our own HIQA report contradicts itself on this.

I've read several reports which have been represented as indicating children are less succeptable to or less likely to transmit CoViD-19 but when you read the full report they say no such thing.

At best they have said children were less likely to have been the index case in a household or that they have played a less significant role in the spread of CoViD-19 (hardly surprising when they have been stuck at home).

I've not read any studies that provide evidence that children are any less (or more) succeptable or infectious than adults.

One of the ¹largest studies ( 3712 CoViD-19 positive patients) cautions "The viral loads observed in the present study, combined with earlier findings of similar attack rate between children and adults, suggest that transmission potential in schools and kindergartens should be evaluated using the same assumptions of infectivity as for adults ... Based on the absence of any statistical evidence for a different viral load profile in children found in the present study, we have to caution against an unlimited re-opening of schools and kindergartens in the present situation, with a widely susceptible population and the necessity to keep transmission rates low via non-pharmaceutical interventions. Children may be as infectious as adults.

¹ https://zoonosen.charite.de/fileadmin/user_upload/microsites/m_cc05/virologie-ccm/dateien_upload/Weitere_Dateien/analysis-of-SARS-CoV-2-viral-load-by-patient-age.pdf

Children under 14 make up just about 2% of all cases worldwide.

This is despite their propensity for closer contact with peers and their maybe less than exemplary hygiene.

There are plenty of reports online in relation to the ace receptors in children and the reasons why they aren't superspreaders and the illness doesn't really affect them badly in most cases.

• Advertisement

I took my kids on hols in January and they missed 2 days of school. Did I feel guilty no! Do they still talk about it..yes! We had a lovely 4 day family trip. I have taken them out other days to enjoy different things and I will continue to do so provided I can get the time off. Once you send a note in explaining their absence there should be no more about it. A day here and there is not going to matter to your childs education.

Okay. There is a difference in Dept Education between "explained absence" and "unexplained absence".
    A holiday is registered as "unexplained absence" even if you send a note explaining why Johnny was out of school. So I thought that my son was on holiday for 2 school days so they can put it down as "unexplained".
    No. They still wanted me to send a note explaining that he was on holidays so that they could register those days off as an unexplained absence.

This is what parents have to deal with in their children's schools.

Send Joe an email and see how you get on.

Okay. There is a difference in Dept Education between "explained absence" and "unexplained absence".
    A holiday is registered as "unexplained absence" even if you send a note explaining why Johnny was out of school. So I thought that my son was on holiday for 2 school days so they can put it down as "unexplained".
    No. They still wanted me to send a note explaining that he was on holidays so that they could register those days off as an unexplained absence.

No need when you are home schooling as the buck stops with you. No more blaming someone else when little Johnny says he doesn't want to do the work. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

Are you OK? :eek:

OK
    and
    on
    full
    pay

Treppen wrote: »
    OK
    and
    on
    full
    pay

Ditto :)

What? this is what all parents have to deal with in all schools... or some parents... or just you?

Ditto :)

Really are you a full time teacher too?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about Coronavirus and its impact on schooling. Do not bring your irrelevant anecdotes into the discussion

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in thread

Treppen wrote: »
    Really are you a full time teacher too?

Has it escaped your notice that thousands of people are still going out working every day and hence are on full pay???

• Advertisement

For a global pandemic? Also I only roughly totted it up but at second level anyway isn't it 35 school days since schools closed?

For Primary Schools its 50 missed days. If I did that Tusla would be notified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement