Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Well I can't talk for all teachers but I can for myself and i'm working remotely so why shouldn't I be receiving my full pay?

The parents are doing the teaching. What are you doing on your "full pay" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Crèches will be reopening for essential workers on the 29th June.

Most of them have said that they won't. That was reported on prime time a week or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Surely by September if our numbers are still good, social distancing will be reduced to 1 metre. 2 metres is just not practical for school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Why wouldn't you give the absence notes that are required? We have to report any child that accumulates absences of 20 or more days.

Attendance policies will likely have to be amended given that there will probably be new procedures around sick kids in school etc.

One of the many things Dept of Education and Tusla need to be looking at now.

Scoondal wrote: »

Ask my class and parents what I am doing? The parents of my children have no 'teaching' to be doing.

• Advertisement

Most of them have said that they won't. That was reported on prime time a week or two ago.

You'd be surprised what people will manage to agree to once the PUP payment scheme is curtailed next week.

Already a lot of people back to work who probably shouldn't technically be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Like all generalisations this is false. Some parents are teaching. Some parents are supervising their children while they access online resources. Some parents are unable to help their children with their education for lots of reasons.

Similarly some teachers are working and some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Completely agree with you, saw those figures on another thread and couldn't believe it.

These are workers that have been working day after day during the whole thing and their infection rates are miniscule.

Approx 0.25% infection rate, for example if you applied that rate in a school of 300 people that's less than 1 person (0.75) infected land its been proven that it's actually less contagious in kids.

Where has it been proven? I've seen this stated several times but I've yet to see proof.

Why wouldn't you give the absence notes that are required? We have to report any child that accumulates absences of 20 or more days.
    Do have have to provide an absence note for the 50 days that my son has been prevented from receiving his education ?
    You say "no" but I say why ?

Do have have to provide an absence note for the 50 days that my son has been prevented from receiving his education ?

Its not a school policy to annoy you. It is a child safeguarding policy. Why are you so defensive about it?

• Advertisement

Like all generalisations this is false. Some parents are teaching. Some parents are supervising their children while they access online resources. Some parents are unable to help their children with their education for lots of reasons.

Similarly some teachers are working and some are not.

So why are they on his quote of "full pay" ?

Off you go to Leo and Tony. Nothing to do with the educators.

As an aside, if your son in contact and receiving content from his teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Well I can't talk for all teachers but I can for myself and i'm working remotely so why shouldn't I be receiving my full pay?

I wonder how quick the schools would be back open if all the teachers (through no fault of their own) were placed on the €350 scheme. My guess is the unions would have forced the issue already.

Where has it been proven? I've seen this stated several times but I've yet to see proof.

Well there's plenty of studies available online from public health and infectious disease experts suggesting children spread the virus far less than adults.

Far cry from what we were originally led to believe about their superspreader capabilities.

Teachers should be receiving the employee retention grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I rang a wfh parent today. They couldn't talk as they were on the golf course.

So why are they on his quote of "full pay" ?

'They' as in the teachers not working? I don't know how to answer that. I don't know why theses these teachers aren't working. They should be.

I'm a teacher on full pay and I have continued teaching my classes so can only answer for myself. I'm receiving full pay as I'm working albeit using an imperfect system and from home.

Why? In between replying to you and your drivel i'm replying to emails from both my children and their parents. Also trying to organise a virtual sports day for the whole school and a virtual school tour. I'm working fully so deserve my full pay as per normal.

Off you go to Leo and Tony. Nothing to do with the educators.

As an aside, if your son in contact and receiving content from his teacher?

Yes he receives his weekly work.

He has no interest in it now. Before this, he was totally engaged with school work and the structure of class learning and loved projects and doing things at home.

My daughter who doesn't do well in school is doing very well with art, music and making up games herself.

khalessi wrote: »
    I rang a wfh parent today. They couldn't talk as they were on the golf course.

At least they answered. I have a few parents who are very obviously screening my calls. Reason for the call is a care call to see how they and their child are getting on seeing as there isn't much contact or engagement. Also had a parent who claimed via email that they couldn't access the email that contained something I had sent them for their child. All contact stopped abruptly when I pointed out that they were communicating with me via the very email address that they claimed they couldn't access.

• Advertisement

Why? In between replying to you and your drivel i'm replying to emails from both my children and their parents. Also trying to organise a virtual sports day for the whole school and a virtual school tour. I'm working fully so deserve my full pay as per normal.

Some teachers are absolutely working very hard and in those cases their pay should not be questioned.

But just how do you measure it, I've been unfortunate with one of our teachers who is a 'one email on a Sunday night' wonder.

I see one of the unions recommend for primary school teachers to keep in contact at least once daily where possible.

So you'd prefer that none of us worked and no student in the country had access to education since the schools closed?

If you are working an 8 hour day you deserve your salary. But if I am home schooling my children, I am doing part of your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Jim Root wrote: »
    I wonder how quick the schools would be back open if all the teachers (through no fault of their own) were placed on the €350 scheme. My guess is the unions would have forced the issue already.

I wonder if schools had never closed in the first place would many of the posters, who are critical of schools and teachers, criticise them for not closing. My guess is that they would still find reason to complain.

Yes he receives his weekly work.

He has no interest in it now. Before this, he was totally engaged with school work and the structure of class learning and loved projects and doing things at home.

My daughter who doesn't do well in school is doing very well with art, music and making up games herself.

I think the novelty of the remote/online learning is beginning to wear very thin for all of us. I can say for myself that I'm wrecked trying to find different ways to approach things to keep the children engaged. Trying not to put additional pressure on them or their parents yet can't stop worrying about them and their schooling.

If you are working an 8 hour day you deserve your salary. But if I am home schooling my children, I am doing part of your job.

You are doing not one piece of my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Once you realise that you’d be doing it fully then if teachers were being made unemployed through this? Not even a weekly email.

What do you mean by home schooling?

I wonder if schools had never closed in the first place would many of the posters, who are critical of schools and teachers, criticise them for not closing. My guess is that they would still find reason to complain.

I, for one, would not be complaining.

• Advertisement

Actually a typical day for me since this rubbish started is that I'm generally up and on the laptop for about 7am. Some parents and children are online at that stage as devices need to be shared between numerous children within a family and also needed later for WFH parents. Also seems to be a big burst again from 6-10pm. My parents are generally good so I don't have an issue replying to an email at this time of the evening.

I have a huge issue though with lazy comments that all teachers should be on the job retention scheme. Populist crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement