Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Flyefit are shower of ****s.

They have paused memberships which is fantastic. But they won't let you cancel, so the gyms are allowed to open again they're going to bill you.

Would they have let you cancel before Covid19?

Edit: not to take away from your annoyance, just wondering if it is a policy change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭antimatterx

DM_7 wrote: »
    Would they have let you cancel before Covid19?

Edit: not to take away from your annoyance, just wondering if it is a policy change.

Yep you could always alter your membership only. You could even 'pause' if by laying €5 a month so you wouldn't have to pay the joining fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Flyefit are shower of ****s.

They have paused memberships which is fantastic. But they won't let you cancel, so the gyms are allowed to open again they're going to bill you.

Cancel when they reopen. Not sure how they're a shower of ****s when you haven't been charged for not using the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

RTE - 20th May 2020 - Ben Dunne says gyms will only re-open when safe
    Mr Dunne shut down his 10 gyms within hours of the Taoiseach announcing the first wave of restrictions on March 12th and he admitted today he doesn’t know when his gyms will be re-opening saying that it could even be two years away.

Mr Dunne’s gyms employ 90 and have 53,000 members and he stated: "We closed down on March 12th and I have no idea when we are going to re-open."

He added: "We will only open up when it is safe to do so and I really don’t know when that is going to be."

Mr Dunne said that last year, the business recorded revenues of almost €14 million and enjoyed operating profits of €4.3 million.

He said: "The business was going fairly well and I was happy with the performance and it was flattened out, for want of a better word, by the virus."

The Government’s lifting of restrictions states that gyms can re-open from August 10th in a safe manner.

Mr Dunne said however that he doesn’t believe a two metre rule is safe for anyone near someone running on a treadmill.

He commented: "I must get over the first hurdle and that is how to make them safe and a piece of Perspex glass is not the answer."

He stated: "It took me 20 years to build the business up to 10 gyms. I don't think in my lifetime - I’m 71 now- I will have 10 gyms re-opened."

He stated: "I think I will be doing well if half the gyms re-open because of the stance I am taking on safety because I do think that people’s lives do matter."

He added: "I’m not going to have a business or a club where it is not safe for people to be working out in."

Asked would new social distant rules make it uneconomical to re-open, Mr Dunne replied: "I am not even thinking of the economics of social distancing - when people’s lives are in danger money shouldn’t come into play.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 45,155 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I find this bit odd:
    Asked would new social distant rules make it uneconomical to re-open, Mr Dunne replied: "I am not even thinking of the economics of social distancing - when people’s lives are in danger money shouldn’t come into play.

Its answering the wrong question.

Keeping a gym open while not safe would be what he is answering too. But the question is whether it will be uneconomical to open - which is exactly where people's lives would come in to it. unless he is saying Gyms are vital to life, and he would run them at a loss with social distancing in place because money shouldn't come in to it.

• Advertisement

I find this bit odd:

Its answering the wrong question.

Keeping a gym open while not safe would be what he is answering too. But the question is whether it will be uneconomical to open - which is exactly where people's lives would come in to it. unless he is saying Gyms are vital to life, and he would run them at a loss with social distancing in place because money shouldn't come in to it.

Maybe they are still figuring it out so he said that to emphasise that the safety will come first. Perhaps they can afford to run at a loss for a year or two if needs be.

Will be interesting to see how gyms will comply with social distancing, and how/if it will be enforced.

Will there be a second wave and spike in cases closer to winter after restrictions have been lifted for a while, and another lockdown, since no vaccine yet found?

Mad times, we shall see.

The cynic in me thinks it's posturing so that their members will be convinced it's safe when they reopen around mid-August

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The bit about him not even thinking about the economic bottom line, but just about people's wellbeing, is probably a bit of PR guff...

...But I think Dunne is a realist when he talks about their business environment having been fundamentally changed. It's not just about the feasibility of implementing government guidelines, or the added economic costs associated with whatever it will take to operate going forward, it's also going to be about what the public wants from the industry, that 'bottom up' effect and whether existing businesses can re-tool to meet it. And it actually might not be apparent for a little while, it might not be immediately after re-opening.

There are a whole range of businesses which have a model that was predicated on a pre-covid situation that is never going to return. Even if the impact of covid is that they lose 10% of what they were doing before that might be enough to see a lot of businesses wind down because it doesn't pay them to continue. We are all inclined to imagine continuity of the businesses and industries that we've grown up with, and are used to, but actually there's no guarantees... If it doesn't pay the likes of Ben Dunne he'll be out of there and on to something else.

But maybe what I think of as conventional large commercial gyms will be able to pivot in the same that we apparently see the pubs preparing to do (To not just hold restaurant licences but attempt to operate on that basis and avoid missteps that gets them shut down). Can FlyeFit and Ben Dunne re-open running at (for the sake of argument) half capacity and with other measures, and retain enough members at low prices and be viable? Would members pay more to go to a gym like that to if their costs had risen? Maybe someone who has a handle on what their profit margins were like before would have a better idea.

I definitely take the point, incidentally, that the type of gyms which could survive this and do well are ones providing personal training or small group classes ... Perhaps even moreso the ones which have proven themselves agile enough to deliver good online content to clients at a good price point. I'm sceptical of some Zoom and streaming content, but it does have a place, and I know for a fact that friends who have gym businesses of this sort, and one yoga practice in particular, are making more money from the online stuff than they anticipated.

I think it is easy to overestimate how many people will actually stay away from any amenity or leisure facility once they are allowed to open.

Some people will see major changes as they have serious health concerns.

Many won't be concerned. Look at the UK beaches yesterday. The rush back to head to woodies. Wait and see how many flood back to Penney's when it opens.

The change to gyms when they reopen may be good for members. Things like the limiting of numbers at anyone time or increasing hours would be good for members.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Cancel when they reopen. Not sure how they're a shower of ****s when you haven't been charged for not using the gym.

Agree, it might even be a system limit e.g. you can't cancel while you are paused only whilst your membership is active (let's face it these are usual circumstances that probably weren't envisaged when designing the system)

Did you email them and ask if you could cancel? They might be able to facilitate it manually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The cynic in me thinks it's posturing so that their members will be convinced it's safe when they reopen around mid-August

Good point. Perhaps the guy has the (in his own head) perfect anti Flyefit radio ad lined up and this is part of the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Before covid ,I'm a postie, I have a gym on my route ,I went after work on my way back to office,gym gear in back of van,so .. workout..shower..back into uniform..back to office..home,in the opposite direction to my gym..was dead handy and made going less of a challenge.

Now it's looking like gyms that do reopen won't have shower facilities being used.. from what I've read.. so I can't go working out,and back into uniform without showering,to go back to office before home. Its possible to do it of course but it's rank awful imo.

So I'll probably not be using my membership anymore and try do as much as possible at home,it's not the same ,and I miss the machines and free weight variety,but to quit altogether would have a disastrous affect on my mental well being tbh..

Stick with it folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

If they are going to limit numbers etc would it make sense for them to offer a reduced membership fee?

Car insurance companies have done similar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If they are going to limit numbers etc would it make sense for them to offer a reduced membership fee?

Car insurance companies have done similar

That's different though as it is to do with the reduced risk from people driving a lot less and therefore reduced future/potential claims and reduced payout costs for the companies.

If gyms limit memberships, it means their revenue relative to their fixed costs (the biggest cost in a gym probably and one that can't be reduced easily) would drop significantly, so they would actually need to increase fees to compensate and make up the shortfall. That's why limiting numbers significantly just wouldn't work at current membership pricepoints in the likes of flyefit imo - if they cut memberships numbers by half, they would need to double membership fees more or less.

One measure being discussed in a sports club I’m involved in is temperature checks on the way in to training. This has been used in healthcare settings. Takes a forehead thermometer, staff member with a mask and the willingness to politely send people home.

Is that a place in Limerick?

Before covid ,I'm a postie, I have a gym on my route ,I went after work on my way back to office,gym gear in back of van,so .. workout..shower..back into uniform..back to office..home,in the opposite direction to my gym..was dead handy and made going less of a challenge.

Now it's looking like gyms that do reopen won't have shower facilities being used.. from what I've read.. so I can't go working out,and back into uniform without showering,to go back to office before home. Its possible to do it of course but it's rank awful imo.

So I'll probably not be using my membership anymore and try do as much as possible at home,it's not the same ,and I miss the machines and free weight variety,but to quit altogether would have a disastrous affect on my mental well being tbh..

Stick with it folks

If you could set aside 2.5m2 in your house you could invest in a squat rack, barbell, plates, dumbbells, bands, adjustable bench. All over some floor mats. Pricey but handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I wouldn't be surprised to see memberships change to being based on daily time slots now, and a max number of members per time slot.

ie. Every hour long time slot (5pm to 6pm, or 6pm to 7pm etc.) gets a max of 10 or 20 members, really depends on the gym size and type. When you sign up, you pick the time slots you want and then they are the only times you can use the gym - I'm sure key fobs or whatever access mechanism can enforce this. Can't make your timeslot? Tough.

Premium timeslots get premium prices. When you sign up, you pick your timeslots and days - like a custom membership. Once a timeslot is full, waiting lists are introduced.

Could work. I've given it around 5-10 minutes thought and it seems flawless :pac:

I wouldn't be surprised to see memberships change to being based on daily time slots now, and a max number of members per time slot.

ie. Every hour long time slot (5pm to 6pm, or 6pm to 7pm etc.) gets a max of 10 or 20 members, really depends on the gym size and type. When you sign up, you pick the time slots you want and then they are the only times you can use the gym - I'm sure key fobs or whatever access mechanism can enforce this. Can't make your timeslot? Tough.

Premium timeslots get premium prices. When you sign up, you pick your timeslots and days - like a custom membership. Once a timeslot is full, waiting lists are introduced.

Could work. I've given it around 5-10 minutes thought and it seems flawless :pac:

This could work in its own right in any gym at anytime if the demand was there.

In Covid19 scenario things will gradually ease after opening (in all leisure type facilities). Needing to keep the showers closed in every gym in the country at the start for example will make sense but a more regional approach will be needed over time. They can't have one rule for the whole country and for every facility so ir might be hard to have premium memberships when thr timeline is not so clear.

Actually that could lead to unusual sights in car parks, will people be changing into clean gear in the car parks if we have no changing rooms? If I drive to the gym I won't be getting into the car wearing the gear I wore in the gym anyway, that will be going into a plastic bag in the boot.

Is that a place in Limerick?

No, Dublin based.

I don’t want to name them as I’m not directly involved and the people in charge still hashing it out.

I think thermometers are an easy control to put in place, comparatively speaking. For small to medium clubs / businesses.

No, Dublin based.

I don’t want to name them as I’m not directly involved and the people in charge still hashing it out.

I think thermometers are an easy control to put in place, comparatively speaking. For small to medium clubs / businesses.

Saw an IG video from a Limerick-based club where they stepped through the measures they had put in place and included temp checks. But they had also spread equipment out as well. Was fairly well done tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think you could be on to something. With a lot of people working from home, there is a lot more flexibility from employers. You could pop to the gym at 11am for an hour and work that extra hour in the evening.

I'd definitely consider it if they started doing it.

leanin2019 wrote: »
    If you could set aside 2.5m2 in your house you could invest in a squat rack, barbell, plates, dumbbells, bands, adjustable bench. All over some floor mats. Pricey but handy

I've got a decent set up of treadmill,curl bar, dumbells, kettle bells, barbells,bands,dip station and pull up ,converted a d multi gym machine into latt pull down and tricep time,works for me,I've no bench yet and am using a chair for seated shoulder dumbell raises etc.. took me a few months to get this far .. doing what I can for sure, cycling now too,only mountain bike so about 10-12 km spins

Seen this on hotuk deals

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Gyms in Hong Kong are reopening with rules, a sign of things to come here?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2020-05-18/hong-kong-gyms-have-new-covid-19-rules-video

The temperature check and the physical spacing should help mitigate some risks. The saturation of the place with signs and instructions should, as he says himself, drive home to people the expectation that they are disinfecting as they go.

Seems like they'll have a good chance of bedding in a culture shift when they re-open that means people can train safely.

I don't think I saw a mention of capping numbers on the premises but I presume that would have to be a factor if they noticed they were getting very crowded at peak times.

The only set-up that I can think of which would be better than this would be gyms based on individual and small group training. The likes of a CrossFit box could have barbells and equipment set up and ready to go in a marked-out area for each participant in a class, and just disinfect the whole lot before the next group comes in. There wouldn't seem to be a whole lot of chance of transmission in that context.

One thing I would say is that a big factor in any re-opening has to be the backdrop of transmission within the community. We are almost at the stage where there is no transmission within the community at the moment, what we have left are clusters in specific settings, as I understand it. If we can hold onto that we'll be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Fair play for him doing the vid but I think gyms are going to be very difficult to manage. Leaving aside the fact the people never did any cleaning nor put plates back I would question their ability to carry out cleaning to any standard at all. Even if they had a cleaner I would do all my own cleaning prior to starting anything but how much time will that add to a session?

The 2m space is for normal conditions such as regular breathing and speaking, get into an environment where people are pushing hard and breathing hard that 2m distance would need to be doubled to be effective in my uneducated opinion. The screens around the machines in Hong Kong are a token at best, how will they contain air spillover? They are also another surface that needs to be cleaned and create more nooks and crannies that will make cleaning difficult.

This video out of Japan is interesting and shows the importance of hand hygiene, skip in 0:50 to get past the waffle. If you replace utensils with dumbbells, plates and other contact points it shows how the potential for contamination and spread exists and how dramatic it is if not contained. I see very similar parallels in gyms. Crossfit platforms might have a chance if spaced well enough apart but they would each need all their own kit and then it would need to be thoroughly cleaned after each user. Regular gyms where people only use one station at a time and thoroughly clean before moving on is higher risk.
    Skip to 50 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOvENoZMmK4

I wish there was a simple way but I think they will be hard road ahead for gyms. I've just bought a kit etc as I have no idea when my gym will open and even if it did i don't see me going back until I am sure things are safe. I can't afford being quarantined for 14 days is someone was infected and there was a crossover on gym logs.

I think our lifestyles have changed for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Not sure if posted already but gyms in the Emirates opened yesterday. https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/coronavirus-dubai-gyms-reopen-as-covid-19-restrictions-ease-1.1025672

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Interesting - looks like you have to wear a mask which would reduce spread hugely. The mask would have a huge impact but would people here wear them?

• Advertisement

traco wrote: »
    Interesting - looks like you have to wear a mask which would reduce spread hugely. The mask would have a huge impact but would people here wear them?

I think people will wear them if they want to go enough. The people using gyms in the short term are the ones who will really want to and will feel comfortable enough in the environment. Obviously that won't be everyone but there will be a lot of people who will do whatever they need to (within reason) to use the gym. Using a face covering won't be that big a deal for people who are probably already champing at the bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement