Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If the gym doesn't have alcohol sanitiser for people to clean machines before and after (though a lot wouldn't bother their hole cleaning after themselves), I'll have my own sanitiser with me. Simple. If you're mostly in a rack, distancing is taken care of for the most part.

I'll have no problem going back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Surely pools will reopen, can the virus spread in water I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Surely pools will reopen, can the virus spread in water I wonder?

The chlorine will kill it and the humidity will mean it wouldn't travel as far in the air but how a pool would operate with social distancing I can't imagine. Their allowed open before gyms which I think would be easier to control for social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,169 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A bit more self control would be required too - if you have symptoms, then stay home and don't risk the spread.

Previously, people would often have advised to try 'sweat out' a cold or flu but that won't be an option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

brianblaze wrote: »
    Nope

I would say gyms will have to raise their fees too. You won't be able to have as many nos in for fitness classes ....PTS I would say will have to raise their fees.

The rent PTs pay to gyms etc isn't going to go down the rent for studios isn't going down for fitness instructors and if you are employed by the gym the rent isn't going down for the gym itself.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    A bit more self control would be required too - if you have symptoms, then stay home and don't risk the spread.

Previously, people would often have advised to try 'sweat out' a cold or flu but that won't be an option now.
    But sure people don't know they have it for up to 2 weeks and some people NEVER know they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I would say gyms will have to raise their fees too. You won't be able to have as many nos in for fitness classes ....PTS I would say will have to raise their fees.

The rent PTs pay to gyms etc isn't going to go down the rent for studios isn't going down for fitness instructors and if you are employed by the gym the rent isn't going down for the gym itself.

Nope. Again.

Let's be fair here. You are not an epidemiologist, a small business owner or politician. You are speculating, wildly, about something you more than likely have no actual knowledge of. To be honest, we all are, but there's not a hope of this closing gyms and changing fitness as we know it. If it impacts anything, it will be hygiene.

Then we'll get a vaccination, treatment or cure, and we'll all just forget about that, go back to normal, until the next disease!

Nope. Again.

Let's be fair here. You are not an epidemiologist, a small business owner or politician. You are speculating, wildly, about something you more than likely have no actual knowledge of. To be honest, we all are, but there's not a hope of this closing gyms and changing fitness as we know it. If it impacts anything, it will be hygiene.

Then we'll get a vaccination, treatment or cure, and we'll all just forget about that, go back to normal, until the next disease!

I am a PT. I just finished a year course.

Interestingly an epidemiologist was one of my lecturers ..for exercise and the immune system :) Prof John Jackson.

You are correct I am not an epidemiologist though.

But i do know hygiene in gyms is hard enough already.

Why would i be a politician?

I am a PT. I just finished a year course.

Interestingly an epidemiologist was one of my lecturers ..for exercise and the immune system :) Prof John Jackson.

You are correct I am not an epidemiologist though.

But i do know hygiene in gyms is hard enough already.

Being a PT or knowing an epidemiologist still doesn't mean much in this conversation. I have been in all sorts of gyms, they all have terrible hygiene, but people will be more aware of it now. The government can't tell businesses to close because they assume they're not going to be clean, they open them and tell them to be clean!

Being a PT or knowing an epidemiologist still doesn't mean much in this conversation. I have been in all sorts of gyms, they all have terrible hygiene, but people will be more aware of it now. The government can't tell businesses to close because they assume they're not going to be clean, they open them and tell them to be clean!

Being in all kinds of gyms...doesn't mean much.

You think I haven't been in all kinds of gyms?

People were aware of it before. The truth is machines and weights in gyms come into close bodily contact with many people...don't talk to me about the yoga mats!

They already have to meet public health standards.

Yes they will open them. But things will be different.

• Advertisement

Being in all kinds of gyms...doesn't mean much.

You think I haven't been in all kinds of gyms?

People were aware of it before. The truth is machines and weights in gyms come into close bodily contact with many people...don't talk to me about the yoga mats!

I've also done the NTC course (back i 2013), if that helps? But again, has no bearing on a conversation about businesses opening. We're all guessing, but there's no way the government says 'No more gyms' and hits a €300m p/a industry like that.

I've also done the NTC course (back i 2013), if that helps? But again, has no bearing on a conversation about businesses opening. We're all guessing, but there's no way the government says 'No more gyms' and hits a €300m p/a industry like that.

Not sure it does ....i just finished a year long course ..and i think tbh i learn more on my own!
    They aren't going to say no more gyms of course not. But they will give guildelines.

And i would say business wise they will be restrictive.

I am not talking about the effects if will have on YOU the customer.

I am talking the effects it will have on the people working in it. I.E me. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Gyms will be back. Initially they will have to have a level of social distancing that will limit numbers and it will be relatively safe.

Many gyms will struggle if members do not feel the need to go back straight away. Membership renewals would fall, classes will not be viable.

It might be a case of getting through to January for many.

I expect more strength focussed gyms see their members back quickly compared to the more fitness club types?

DM_7 wrote: »

I expect more strength focussed gyms see their members back quickly compared to the more fitness club types?

I would say the same. They have the more dedicated members. And its harder to do at home. Its a niche market.

Fitness in general you can do at home etc.

Gyms deffo won't be hiring tho. :( Me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

bluewolf wrote: »
    Cant waiiiit to go back spinning

Im going to start dreaming about it soon lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Crumbled and ordered a pull up mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I've been more consistent and I'm getting better results than ever with home workouts. A set of dumbbells, body weight exercises and being innovative with furniture is doing better.

I've never felt better, I bought clothes in March before this started and they wouldn't fit me, now I have room to move in them, despite the scale showing a 2lb drop.

I'm not sure if I'll go back immeadietly. I might wait until I stop seeing results.

I've been more consistent and I'm getting better results than ever with home workouts. A set of dumbbells, body weight exercises and being innovative with furniture is doing better.

I've never felt better, I bought clothes in March before this started and they wouldn't fit me, now I have room to move in them, despite the scale showing a 2lb drop.

I'm not sure if I'll go back immeadietly. I might wait until I stop seeing results.

Thats amazing, well done. Are you doing your own workouts or following an online program.

Just got an email from my gym saying from next week they are doing outdoor classes, max 4.

Cool! Well done Anti! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was cutting down branches in my garden and found a grand sturdy branch on one tree, I am able to sling a climbing rope over it and do pullups, a towel would do the job too.

c7487ca59fac16688512fdc816c6c9cb--mens-fashion-frugal.jpg

just saw this looking up that pic.
    8ad870a4164436eb91f7102757069594--pullup-and-dip-bar-outdoor-gear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »
    I was cutting down branches in my garden and found a grand sturdy branch on one tree, I am able to sling a climbing rope over it and do pullups, a towel would do the job too.

Yeah saw one lad on IG doing that. Another using the flat canopy over the front door!

I have trees in my neighborhood ..maybe i could try..

lads back to basics this could be us!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

jrosen wrote: »
    Thats amazing, well done. Are you doing your own workouts or following an online program.

Doing my own workout, but I make sure I hit every body part during the week.

I have just found out there is a calisthenics park near me! YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have just found out there is a calisthenics park near me! YAY!

Mine has signs from the council not to use them. There is a rugby club with pullup bars welded to 40ft containers. There are also railings that meet at a right angle so you can do dips in the corner. There are lots of things I have spotted over the years in my area, just have to be on the lookout.

rubadub wrote: »
    Mine has signs from the council not to use them. There is a rugby club with pullup bars welded to 40ft containers. There are also railings that meet at a right angle so you can do dips in the corner. There are lots of things I have spotted over the years in my area, just have to be on the lookout.
    I prob can't use them now. I would say after he 18th i can though. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I just want to throw something out there relating to the discussion a few posts back and whether or not the government will be responsible for effectively closing gyms, as a result of imposing particular requirements going forward.

Whether it's a gym, pub, restaurant or whatever... Yes, it is possible that government requirements into the future could mean that businesses which already have small margins or were just not that viable to begin with would struggle to operate. That's businesses failing because of 'top down' government action.

But actually there's some evidence that there is a lot of 'bottom up' action being taken by the public in relation to how they are patronising businesses due to covid 19. Nicholas Nassim Taleb wrote an article in the FT lately where he showed that in some locations the public had already effectively begin self isolating and footfall had dropped massively in places like bars and resatarants before the government formally acted in any way. There are graphs showing mad nosedives in terms of how people were spending their money.

You can actually see this for yourself on Irish Twitter if you look back at what restaurants were reporting in the run up to the lock down. No one was eating out. The 'big parties' that occurred in Temple Bar pubs got a lot of airing but really they were the exception rather than the rule if you zoom out and consider consumer spending habits from a broader perspective.

Even if gyms were open and not closed by the government, throughout this whole thing, I suspect the hit they would have taken in terms of membership would have sunk a lot of the ones that weren't that competitive anyway.

When most sports and gym type businesses are open again - whether that's on track in August or not - I would say that the gym business is going to take a big hit no matter what. Yes, the sort of fitness fanatic probably reading this thread is going to be rushing back in, but many gyms depend on a turnover and a lot of people are not going to be coming back. Possibly not just because of covid 19. The other elephant in the room is that as a State we are spending basically billions on dealing with this public health emergency and guaranteeing income support to people, and when this is all over we're going to be in recession. And what do people do in recessions? They cut back on things like gym memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

And what do people do in recessions? They cut back on things like gym memberships.

I would disagree with this last part. Many people will be unable to afford the financial burden of healthcare bills from a chronic disease, making more cost-effective and preventive measures like exercise a much more appealing option.

For example, the last recession period of 2008 through to the 2010s saw a huge growth in the fitness industry, with CrossFit in particular becoming very popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,169 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One of my biggest regrets is during the last recession I did not using my free time to go to the gym for a couple hours every day instead of sitting at home re-watching boxsets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement