Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

OmegaGene wrote: »
    they have been very vocal but i think that sector is really going to struggle now with people realising what thyey were spending and what is really important

hair and fake tan can feck off lol it is all about the gains :D

my cardio has vastly improved since closure of the gym which is a bonus

Agree, two DIY haircuts in with a third coming soon and I'm beginning to think why spend the money every 3 or 4 weeks. Will help reclaim some of the money spent on home gym equipment.

However my hair is a simple short back and sides and not so short on the top.

A different story for those with proper grooming requirements no doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

maybe i should go for a short back and sides :pac:

westwood are saying 20th july now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    they have been very vocal but i think that sector is really going to struggle now with people realising what thyey were spending and what is really important

hair and fake tan can feck off lol it is all about the gains :D

my cardio has vastly improved since closure of the gym which is a bonus

They might be being vocal, but they're not getting the exposure in media is what I'm saying.
    Every news bulletin has some barber or salon owner on it complaining, but the gyms are not being facilitated as much. FFS, even the Botox providers have been highlighted twice on newstalk this week (maybe Dennis has shares in Allergen)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would guess that it's because hairdressers and barbers are seen as an everyday service that everyone uses, but gyms are for 'people that are into it'. It's a news topic that suits everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

My gym in Dublin 11 is doing a soft opening next week, we can come in for a 1 hour slot tuesday 4-9pm, wednesday (same) and saturda y12-3pm.

Looking forward to it!!

• Advertisement

no you have to book a slot in advance. only 5 members allowed in at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My local park has new signs from the council up on the equipment saying you are to bring sanitiser and use it before and after use of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

I'm assuming all gyms will now have to operate a booking system, that's understandable but I'm l concerned that my gym will prioritize members who receive personal training , what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Any updates from Ben Dunne Gyms or Flyefit? They seem to be keeping quiet on what their plans are for reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭xtal191

VonLuck wrote: »
    Any updates from Ben Dunne Gyms or Flyefit? They seem to be keeping quiet on what their plans are for reopening.

I got this email from Ben Dunne today, I'm in the Carlisle Gym
    Ben Dunne Gyms

Regarding re-opening of Ben Dunne Gyms

Dear ,

We are currently preparing a plan to re-open Ben Dunne Gyms. We are starting with Ben Dunne Gym Blanchardstown, which is undergoing changes to ensure we can reopen safely for both members and staff.

The changes mean the following facilities will no longer be available.

- Pool, Steam Rooms and Jacuzzi

- Changing Facilities and Showers

- Studios/Classes/Spinning

Lockers will be provided on the gym floor. We will expect people to arrive ready to workout in the appropriate attire and when finished, leave the gym to shower at home or work.

We plan to have the gym open between September and October this year. Depending on how this gym performs, we will look at the reopening of other gyms on a phased basis.

Re Direct Debit Memberships: Payments are frozen and will only be reactivated as the gyms reopen.

Re Annual Memberships: Time will be added to your membership for any period that we are closed. You can also request a refund for the appropriate amount of your remaining membership.

Yours Sincerely

The Ben Dunne Gym Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

VonLuck wrote: »

Flyefit said they would be ready to open when they are allowed to. Not publicly but I got a fairly fast response to an email last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

xtal191 wrote: »

Ben Dunne has been looking for years to close the pool, jacuzzi area in Westpoint and this is the perfect opportunity and excuse.
    If it's staying closed until September I imagine the pool and other facilities will be removed and floor space opened to allow for whatever spacing are required by government regulations.

ongarite wrote: »
    Ben Dunne has been looking for years to close the pool, jacuzzi area in Westpoint and this is the perfect opportunity and excuse.
    If it's staying closed until September I imagine the pool and other facilities will be removed and floor space opened to allow for whatever spacing are required by government regulations.

Makes sense to get rid of them...maintenance costs must eat into their revenue and they're a low cost gym. It's not like they would be losing a lot of business to direct competitors, ie Flyefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My place is reopening 20th July. They didn't give any further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

my gym has reopened on a trial basis. Max 3 people allowed for one hour slots booked in advance. There is ample material to sanitise equipment before and after use, cardio equipment is not permitted and classes take place outside.

It's a small gym making it easier to enforce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

xtal191 wrote: »

If they are only making decision on other gyms in sept/oct people will just leave and go to gyms that are open.

there's a flyefit near me aswell, so if they are open ill just go there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Westwood Leopardstown reopening July 20th. They haven't mentioned if any areas will be closed etc yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

My local is opening on 20th July too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

is it confirmed anywhere from Flyefit they'll reopen on the 20th?
    Have looked at their social media but cant see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just got a text from my gym saying they are "working hard" to open on July 20.

• Advertisement

is it confirmed anywhere from Flyefit they'll reopen on the 20th?
    Have looked at their social media but cant see anything.

I get the feeling from any responses that they're working towards the 20th but don't want to commit to that in case they're allowed open sooner.

At the end of this phase, it should be made clear as the original phases 3-5 are being condensed into two phases and I can't see any changes from there on in.

Once it's confirmed then, they will email members.

Back to the gym today . Had my slot booked 5-6pm and it was great. Unless you’ve a Savage home gym setup no amount of home workouts with a few Dumbells will be able to suffice for me. Back in Thursday aNd Saturday again. Hopefully they’ll review it to more than 3 per week soon

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Back to the gym today . Had my slot booked 5-6pm and it was great. Unless you’ve a Savage home gym setup no amount of home workouts with a few Dumbells will be able to suffice for me. Back in Thursday aNd Saturday again. Hopefully they’ll review it to more than 3 per week soon

Are you in Dublin? was it hard to get a slot that suited? how were people chosen, first come first served?? Cheers

Acey10 wrote: »
    Are you in Dublin? was it hard to get a slot that suited? how were people chosen, first come first served?? Cheers

Yeah glasnevin! Ballyboggan industrial estate.

No myself and girlfriend were the only 2 people in during the 5-6pm slot. Yeah I think it’s first come first served as only 5 allowed in during one 1 hour slot.

It’s only opened Tuesday/Thursday 4-9pm and Sat 12-3pm this week. I’d imagine that’ll stay that way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Mine are aiming for 20th July also.

I'll say one thing, I have some decent equipment here to replicate or substitute most of the exercises I do at the gym - but I just can't replicate the intensity or concentration I have when at the gym.

Maybe if I had a dedicated shed or home gym, but that'll never happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Gym plus are opening 20/7, nothing about having to make appointments in the first email. Guess we'll find out closer to the time.

I think anyone in Ben Dunne gyms need to check their inbox.
    I'll be wanting my money back ASAP!

We are currently preparing a plan to re-open Ben Dunne Gyms. We are starting with Ben Dunne Gym Blanchardstown, which is undergoing changes to ensure we can reopen safely for both members and staff.
    The changes mean the following facilities will no longer be available.
    - Pool, Steam Rooms and Jacuzzi
    - Changing Facilities and Showers
    - Studios/Classes/Spinning
    Lockers will be provided on the gym floor. We will expect people to arrive ready to workout in the appropriate attire and when finished, leave the gym to shower at home or work.
    We plan to have the gym open between September and October this year. Depending on how this gym performs, we will look at the reopening of other gyms on a phased basis.
    Re Direct Debit Memberships: Payments are frozen and will only be reactivated as the gyms reopen.
    Re Annual Memberships: Time will be added to your membership for any period that we are closed. You can also request a refund for the appropriate amount of your remaining membership.
    Yours Sincerely
    The Ben Dunne Gym Team

Ben Dunne Gyms
    info@bendunnegyms.com

Unsubscribe

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is COVID an excuse not to reopen locations with higher costs (a pool)?

I get steam rooms etc but pools are ok, not like hotels and other gyms are closing theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Is COVID an excuse not to reopen locations with higher costs (a pool)?

I get steam rooms etc but pools are ok, not like hotels and other gyms are closing theirs.

I say it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

Can anyone explain why the 20th July is being mentioned for opening of gyms (or I am I just imagining that?) but according to some posters here their gyms are already open?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement