Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Agree with the above.
    I'm already doing outdoor classes in my gym.
    Great to be back doing some training.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,153 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd ware a mask returning to the gy, but it i owuld imagine it will have a big impact on what people do. I would imagine a lot of classes would be different. Anything cardio intensive is going to a lot more difficult with a mask on. At least I would think that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd ware a mask returning to the gy, but it i owuld imagine it will have a big impact on what people do. I would imagine a lot of classes would be different. Anything cardio intensive is going to a lot more difficult with a mask on. At least I would think that is the case.

I still think a lot of people would suck it up if not wearing a mask means not going.

I still think a lot of people would suck it up if not wearing a mask means not going.

I agree - but it will be easier for weights focused people rather than the people who go to Spin, HIIT, Boxercise etc.

Previously I would have done a few stints on the cross trainer or treadmil in a session - but if i've to wear a mask I can't see myself doing that. I'll concentrate on lifts etc, and look to incorporate cardio at home (garden HIIT stuff) or out for a jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just Dubai, so a single Emirate!

Hoping Abu Dhabi is next. I'll only be going once a week to get access to the squat rack, bumper plates and bench to do the big lifts. The other days I will stick to my home workouts with my barbell and dumbells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I still think a lot of people would suck it up.

In fairness, wearing a mask makes it a bit harder to suck it up :p:p

Some people will be deligthed with not having to let anyone share equipment inbetween sets anyway I'd say.

I agree a mask is a non issue for weights (I wear one shopping and it's grand) - but not sure I'd fancy a heavy cardio session with one with the volume I sweat, it'd turn into a sopping mess, so I agree with mitch I think a lot might stick to running, cycling etc. in that context if it's an option for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Book in for an hour session in a small studio gym with only a PT. They can ensure everything is cleaned down after your session. Wear a mask and gloves. Clean as you go if needed also. Doors and windows open with plenty of airflow. Temperature checked on way.

Is this a viable option? Seems quite controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Book in for an hour session in a small studio gym with only a PT. They can ensure everything is cleaned down after your session. Wear a mask and gloves. Clean as you go if needed also. Doors and windows open with plenty of airflow. Temperature checked on way.

No reason why not, I'd say it would have cost implications as cleaning on the go would slow down the session or else he needs a window between clients but aside from that no reason why it wouldn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

traco wrote: »
    Fair play for him doing the vid but I think gyms are going to be very difficult to manage. Leaving aside the fact the people never did any cleaning nor put plates back I would question their ability to carry out cleaning to any standard at all. Even if they had a cleaner I would do all my own cleaning prior to starting anything but how much time will that add to a clean

Well they either get with the program or get ****ed out. Zero Tolerance Policy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Quite expensive.

• Advertisement

I agree - but it will be easier for weights focused people rather than the people who go to Spin, HIIT, Boxercise etc.

Previously I would have done a few stints on the cross trainer or treadmil in a session - but if i've to wear a mask I can't see myself doing that. I'll concentrate on lifts etc, and look to incorporate cardio at home (garden HIIT stuff) or out for a jog.

I agree and I'd be the same. But it depends how much a person wants to go. The surgical masks aren't as bad though.

Some people will just find it to be the least worst option for them for a host of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think people who do cardio based training are finding that the easiest to do at home though.

Its the people who lift who find that hard to do at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I didn’t release the effects the gym had on my mental health only now do I release how much I need it .
    Due to various injuries I can only use certain cardio and weight machines and swim , being stuck at home I am limited to a quick walk most days. Being a full time carer I need an outlet where I can let off steam and just go into my own little world for an hour or two ...not having those couple of hours in gym everyday is really getting to me at this stage .. not only that the gym was the only time of day I would socially interact with other adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

harr wrote: »
    I didn’t release the effects the gym had on my mental health only now do I release how much I need it .
    Due to various injuries I can only use certain cardio and weight machines and swim , being stuck at home I am limited to a quick walk most days. Being a full time carer I need an outlet where I can let off steam and just go into my own little world for an hour or two ...not having those couple of hours in gym everyday is really getting to me at this stage .. not only that the gym was the only time of day I would socially interact with other adults.

Agreed, I find my structured 3/4 days a week really helps to keep my mind balanced and my body feeling good. The last few weeks I've felt like crap, even with what I've been doing bodyweight wise etc

I wouldn't be able to do cardio though. I would have to do something else.

I wouldn't be able to do cardio though. I would have to do something else.

Like I said, depends how much you wanted to do it in the gym. Some people might find it the least worst option between doing it with a mask or not having the opportunity to do it.

Some people won't want to, some people will. Higher intensity classes would probably take the biggest hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Like I said, depends how much you wanted to do it in the gym. Some people might find it the least worst option between doing it with a mask or not having the opportunity to do it.

Some people won't want to, some people will. Higher intensity classes would probably take the biggest hit.

I just can’t imagine trying a HIIT or spin class with a mask on ... something like the stepper, rower or cross trainer maybe but I can imagine it would be irritating as **** .. I would comply if it meant getting back to the gym .. maybe I should get a mask with the filters like they use when spray painting.. air flow might be better.

I just can’t imagine trying a HIIT or spin class with a mask on ... something like the stepper, rower or cross trainer maybe but I can imagine it would be irritating as **** .. I would comply if it meant getting back to the gym .. maybe I should get a mask with the filters like they use when spray painting.. air flow might be better.

I've tried it running its not.

Well for me anyway. I don't want to discourage people from trying. :o

Maybe someone could manage. I kept sucking the mask into my face.

Plus its not just that. Its SOOOOO hot.

Just to be clear i do wear one for shopping etc Or in public places.

I barely am a nano sec passing people.

Nor could I. I'm just saying some people might find it the least worst option. Lighter masks might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

So with phase 5 scrapped I guess that means gyms will open 20th July now.

• Advertisement

sp00k wrote: »
    So with phase 5 scrapped I guess that means gyms will open 20th July now.

If they're in a position to, with the guidance and requirements/restrictions in place.

If Ben Dunne was serious when he was saying he wasn't sure he could open his gyms on 10th of August on account of needing to be sure its safe, then I guess he won't be opening them up on the 20th of July...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't know that i'd be going back in mid July to them if they were open
    as much as i miss it

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't know that i'd be going back in mid July to them if they were open
    as much as i miss it

I'll be back as soon as I am allowed in the door, I reckon I'll be one of the first peolpe in!

but how I work-out, what I do, and how long I spend there, is going to be very different to what it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

Gyms in my area absolutely chomping at the bit to open again, I'll not be hanging about waiting myself either.

My gym hasn't communicated at all, as far as I can tell.

they've been doing classes on Instagram Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and maybe they've chatted something in them - but there has been no email, no facebook updays, no instagram updates on what they are doing, plan to do or hope to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

If my gym opened tonight id be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Ive been back at some outside classes at my own gym. But if they opened the door tomorrow id be parked waiting on the doors to open.

No issue going back.

I would hope that everyone is more conscious of not being on top of other people but given people's lack of self awareness and lack of basic gym etiquette, I won't hold my breath, so to speak. Which just means having to tell the other person to cop tf on and f tf off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The minute the gym opens I'm back even if it was tomorrow. No problem wearing masks gloves social distancing cleaning whatever else is required I just want to lift.

New gym opening in Wexford now too our first proper stand alone one and now I just want to get back even more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭captivo

Where/When is the new gym in Wexford opening?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement