Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

captivo wrote: »
    Where/When is the new gym in Wexford opening?

Predator fitness in Wexford town, I'd assume as soon as they are allowed.

https://instagram.com/predatorfitness_?igshid=uam7crmi0r4u

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

I know a local gym near me has opened for one on one sessions with a PT. I’d image any local gym that can will follow on from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see some elite sports are allowed from Monday, so that's me sorted :D:D

I would love to hear what flyefit are planning - they have been doing lots online so that would make one think they are still hoping to stay in business or why keep putting in the effort in terms of marketing etc.

I agree with some above that my training would change probably - 1-2 days a week, just getting squats and bench in probably (if I can even lift anything by then) - all going well.

Then probably still do 1-2 days a week at home for accessories etc.

With no working in etc. and cleaning things will take a lot more time which is grand obviously, but just means a different approach for me and just focusing on the essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Reckon we will know for sure in three weeks, July 20th with restrictions/distancing in place my bet

Hope you all stay safe when the doors open up!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think it'll change my training hugely (I hope).

I looked back at the training block before gyms closed and the A and B of each session involved the bar and a rack. So I would be just cleaning the bar before I started and after 8-10 working sets (plus warm up sets) and the bench before and after. Not a massive deal.

I also train after 8pm and it's not hugely busy so I'm never asked to work in (though I have always offered if it's busy and someone is hovering around clearly looking for an opening anywhere).

Can't see it adding too much time and I would intend to clean any equipment like the last person hasn't....it's just that I'd be using the same bar for 75% of a session.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sure by the time it's july i might be cracking up enough to be straight back. See how things go over the next few weeks
    Accessories at home would be ok. Wonder if there'd be social distancing spin classes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I would go back as soon as they open. Just for strength training. I'll wait a while longer before doing cardio at the gym.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hoping the pool reopens at mine too along with the main gym area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

One good thing about them being closed is I started jogging, something I never liked, and now am doing 5k pretty much every morning first thing, and my speeds are increasing. I'm actually in much better shape from being able to control my diet better being at home the whole time, and I have a door frame pull up bar that I bought at the start of all this so can still lash the different types of pull ups out of it.
    I did miss it but I'm not in that much hurry to go back now, might wait till the darker months, plus I'm saving 80 quid a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

harr wrote: »
    I didn’t release the effects the gym had on my mental health only now do I release how much I need it .
    Due to various injuries I can only use certain cardio and weight machines and swim , being stuck at home I am limited to a quick walk most days. Being a full time carer I need an outlet where I can let off steam and just go into my own little world for an hour or two ...not having those couple of hours in gym everyday is really getting to me at this stage .. not only that the gym was the only time of day I would socially interact with other adults.

That's difficult mate. What are you doing instead??

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Got this today from my gym :)

Dear Sheep Shagger, 

We hope you and everyone you care about has stayed safe and well during this difficult period. We’ve been working hard to see how we can support you better, as we’re finally allowed to get moving again. With this in mind, you might be interested to know:

If you haven’t already tried our online classes, these are getting great feedback and we’ve recently ramped up our provision so there’s even more for you to enjoy at home. Find them on our Facebook pages now and virtual classes will be on the FitSense app in the next couple of weeks. If you need any help getting started using the app, please send us an email and we will sort this for you as only takes a couple of minutes. 

We’re planning to re-open the clubs on July 20th, potentially earlier if we’re permitted. We’ve taken on board all the advice from HSE, Ireland Active and Swim Ireland so we can be confident of delivering on all required hygiene standards and giving you a great member experience whilst staying safe. 

As it stands, no membership fees will be due in June and July, so you’ll be able to get fitter and happier on us for a while yet, but we expect to re-start all memberships from the 1st August. 

As we continue to get everything in shape ready for re-opening, we’re striving to do the best for our members and to support our staff as they return to work. We’ll keep you updated as our plans develop.

Please keep well and look out for each other, we are really looking forward to seeing you all in the clubs in July. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch at rathfarnham@gymplus.ie or  hello@gymplus.ie 

Dirk Van Der Flier

Chairman - Gym Plus

That's how it's done. A basic email but outlines how they are doing everything to follow the guidance from all relevant bodies, striving to do their best etc etc.

I find the silence from Flyefit strange.

That's how it's done. A basic email but outlines how they are doing everything to follow the guidance from all relevant bodies, striving to do their best etc etc.

I find the silence from Flyefit strange.

Agree - not even a holding "we'll have an update soon, bear with us" type message

Agree - not even a holding "we'll have an update soon, bear with us" type message

Emailed them to ask if they had any intention of updating members

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Reckon Flyefit are finished? They have a lot of gyms to pay for with no money.

To be fair they got back to me fairly quickly and outlined that they would only be permitted where they could meet the government guidelines but that they were confident they would be in a position to open when the government roadmap permits because it hasn't been made clear if the government will allow gyms to open in phase 3 or 4.

Also said that the membership dates would be adjusted so that I would get the full value of my last monthly payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It has been made clear! Originally they said gyms are included in phase 5. Last week phase 5 was moved into phase 4. Gyms will be allowed to open on July 20th. Although it doesn't mean they will.

Slender Health gym in Raheny has shut it's doors for good after 34 years.

It has been made clear! Originally they said gyms are included in phase 5. Last week phase 5 was moved into phase 4. Gyms will be allowed to open on July 20th. Although it doesn't mean they will.

Slender Health gym in Raheny has shut it's doors for good after 34 years.

It hasn't been made clear. They have said they will compress phases 3-5 into 2 phases. Just because it was originally phase 5 doesn't mean it will automatically be moved phase 4. It is likely but the roadmap is going to evolve.

They just said that it was a possibility it could be moved forward from July 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Carioco

I saw some activity passing FlyeFit the other day and saw a few barbers and salons with half shutters

They seemed to be preparing. I wonder if word has gotten down from the government that the covid19 measures might be drastically reduced shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Do ye think barbers will be open before gyms or vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Carioco

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Do ye think barbers will be open before gyms or vice versa?

Barbers first but I am hoping they may just open at the same time.

Apparently we're close to Covid19 free like NZ.

Carioco wrote: »
    Barbers first but I am hoping they may just open at the same time.

Apparently we're close to Covid19 free like NZ.

It's a very different situation here than NZ with our open borders with NI/UK and the EU. We can't cut ourselves off in the same way.

Nope. They had net profit of just over €4 million in 2018, which was a 40% increase. Not sure if that went up in 2019, possibly not with a couple of new gyms opening since then.

But they don't have high costs, I wouldn't think so anyway, during lockdown. No swimming pools, jacuzzis, steam rooms etc to maintain. I don't see why they wouldn't be fine

Nope. They had net profit of just over €4 million in 2018, which was a 40% increase. Not sure if that went up in 2019, possibly not with a couple of new gyms opening since then.

But they don't have high costs, I wouldn't think so anyway, during lockdown. No swimming pools, jacuzzis, steam rooms etc to maintain. I don't see why they wouldn't be fine

They have also been in overdrive with the live classes and online marketing, competitions etc. - why would they bother with that if they didn't see a long term future? They may be holding off in the hope of a switch from 2m to 1m sooner rather than later or similar easing etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1270996694121897984?s=19

Says they rhink the gyms have moved forward but waiting on clarification to dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Talks of barbers and hairdressers opening Monday week on the radio

The Gym owners are obviously not as well connected in the media as the hairdressers, some intense campaign from them in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Rosita

Hard to know. That’ll depend on the level of their exposure with the banks but that must be significant. In the grand scheme of things though a four month closure where members have nowhere else to go should not be too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Talks of barbers and hairdressers opening Monday week on the radio

June 29th . Monday 2 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement