Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mine are aiming for 20th July also.

I'll say one thing, I have some decent equipment here to replicate or substitute most of the exercises I do at the gym - but I just can't replicate the intensity or concentration I have when at the gym.

Maybe if I had a dedicated shed or home gym, but that'll never happen.

I just have absolutely no motivation at home. I’m useless :o

• Registered Users Posts: 45,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rosita wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the 20th July is being mentioned for opening of gyms (or I am I just imagining that?) but according to some posters here their gyms are already open?

Some smaller gyms are open on the basis they are essentially a club, and club training is allowed. I think that is the case anyway.

I've been tipping away as I can at home, and do a 5km jog 4 or 5 times a week (up from zero before lockdown...) so i've not gone too far, I think. But that first day back on the bench.....excited and terrified!

My gym said last week they are opening on July 20th, and they would have an update on their plans this week. Nothing as of yet.

My gym would be fairly large, and have good numbers of people in it most of the time. Dunno how they are going to handle the numbers, or managably reduce them. I generally went first thing in the morning (6am) and the place would be very quiet. me and maybe 5 other people most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Rosita

Some smaller gyms are open on the basis they are essentially a club, and club training is allowed. I think that is the case anyway.

That would make sense anyway. Maybe if there's other activities going on it changes the nature of them. I'm sure there's small print going on in all these guidelines too.

I paid my annual membership end of Feb based on the pool, steam room and bloody showers. He;s been looking to do this for years now. Can you imagine the cost saving to him with now lecky bills but for the lighting and maybe heat.
    He wont be kitting his gym out with my money whilst I wait on the side lines til his PHASED approach bears fruit.

Even if this was acceptable to some, I think you may find yourself arriving to a one in one out que, just to train 100%. If they do the maths in terms of floor space and the 2mtr rule, this is what will happen.

This may be the death knell for Ben dunne.

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »

I get the impression he's looking for an 'out'. He looks like he's trying to shed members and staff by delaying opening. I'd gave thought that with the removal of a swimming pool the gym would be ideally placed to create social distancing space. But the delay suggests the hunger's not there.

And the 'phased basis' has become such a cliché that it's now meaningless. A gym is either open or it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I paid my annual membership end of Feb based on the pool, steam room and bloody showers. He;s been looking to do this for years now. Can you imagine the cost saving to him with now lecky bills but for the lighting and maybe heat.
    He wont be kitting his gym out with my money whilst I wait on the side lines til his PHASED approach bears fruit.

Even if this was acceptable to some, I think you may find yourself arriving to a one in one out que, just to train 100%. If they do the maths in terms of floor space and the 2mtr rule, this is what will happen.

Any cost saving on hot water and electric will be more than offset by the need for PPE and sanitizers, extra cleaning and reduced capacity. It is going to be a very hard road back for gyms and other service businesses.

My own gym is opening on the 29th with massively reduced capacity, only five at a time, pre booked through the app. They’ll be limiting membership until the 20th July when they’ll be allowed additional numbers. Luckily it’s a good big space and the business is built around small group PT
    and high customer charges. They have about 16 racks so you are effectively booking one for the hour. All the cardio classes are gone until further notice. I think this format will find things easier in the coming months, albeit the disruption to business is still huge.

I have been training on my own, doing a bit of running and more recently cycling and bough a pull up bar and some kettlebells but as others have said the intensity just isn’t there and I can’t wait to get back to a proper bench and barbell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I only use Northwood for the pool and occasional threadmill when the weather is inclement so I've requested a refund. I'm slightly peeved that the refund will be for the remainder of your membership and not from the day of shutdown, but I won't lose to much sleep over something I can't control.

The pool was grand, but it used to piss me off when non swimmers or paddlers used the swim lanes, and the jacuzzi's were sh*t and cold as hell, nothing to miss out on there.

I only use Northwood for the pool and occasional threadmill when the weather is inclement so I've requested a refund. I'm slightly peeved that the refund will be for the remainder of your membership and not from the day of shutdown, but I won't lose to much sleep over something I can't control.

The pool was grand, but it used to piss me off when non swimmers or paddlers used the swim lanes, and the jacuzzi's were sh*t and cold as hell, nothing to miss out on there.

Huh.... was your membership not frozen and extended following lockdown? So a refund of your membership would in effect go from the day of lockdown?

I think it is a bit rubbish to no refund you the entirity of the time they were or are unable to offer the facilities you signed up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Rosita wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the 20th July is being mentioned for opening of gyms (or I am I just imagining that?) but according to some posters here their gyms are already open?

Our gym opened up this week based on the premise of "You may meet up to six people from outside your household both indoors and outdoors for social gatherings."

Our gym is class-based. Only 5 members allowed per class (plus the coach). Classes must be pre-booked. Each member is given their own dedicated area that is marked on the floor with tape for the duration of the class. No one else can enter your area. Equipment is not shared during the class. All equipment is cleaned after the class. No one is allowed to warm-up/cool-down in the gym before/after the class. No showering or changing.

It all seems pretty sensible.

• Advertisement

Huh.... was your membership not frozen and extended following lockdown? So a refund of your membership would in effect go from the day of lockdown?

I think it is a bit rubbish to no refund you the entirity of the time they were or are unable to offer the facilities you signed up for.

this 100% and more..let him take it up with his insurance!! full sum required, not a penny less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The refund should reflect the closure. So say if your membership was from 1st January until 31st Dec, with the 4 month closure, they are saying they will extend membership by the length of the closure so that would mean until 30th April 21 or thereabouts...which would mean you still have ~ 9 months on membership to be refunded for

I'm slightly peeved that the refund will be for the remainder of your membership and not from the day of shutdown, but I won't lose to much sleep over something I can't control.

I think it's clear from the communication posted here by somebody yesterday that your membership expiry date is to be extended by the length of period of closure. So there shouldn't be an issue - the 'remainder of your membership' will include this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭rpurfield

My gym had a post on social media yesterday that they are launching an app and moving to an appointment based system. It seems the idea is you download the app and pick the slot that suits you.

They're also talking about a pay as you go or credits based system for covering it. I think it's a good idea as I wouldn't fancy taking my chances of going down and getting in or having to wait outside.

It might also sharpen up those who spend more time talking than doing reps as well. Just remains to be seen what the cost of the pay as you go will be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

rpurfield wrote: »
    My gym had a post on social media yesterday that they are launching an app and moving to an appointment based system. It seems the idea is you download the app and pick the slot that suits you.

They're also talking about a pay as you go or credits based system for covering it. I think it's a good idea as I wouldn't fancy taking my chances of going down and getting in or having to wait outside.

It might also sharpen up those who spend more time talking than doing reps as well. Just remains to be seen what the cost of the pay as you go will be.

I know a number of gyms focusing on small group training / classes were operating this system even prior to COVID 19. Where space was an issue and they want to avoid overcrowding, and perhaps to increase accountability / reduce no-shows.

Honestly, makes sense across almost a lot of sectors - book ahead, minimise faffing around, spread people out... Even aside from the epidemiological aspect to it personally I find it very appealing.

I could understand that for gym businesses with small numbers of employees it could mean they are having to put on more training slots, however, and that could be challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I assume they'll be brought forward in line with Pubs to phase 4? So the 20th July?

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/andy-moran-gyms-1029153

Andy Moran hoping it'll be brought forward to end of June? I'd be very surprised.

I assume they'll be brought forward in line with Pubs to phase 4? So the 20th July?

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/andy-moran-gyms-1029153

Andy Moran hoping it'll be brought forward to end of June? I'd be very surprised.

Well, 20th July is the beginning of the last phase so it will be then at the latest.

Depends how the gym can operate but 29th June might not be unreasonable in some circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Got this from my gym this morning:

We plan to start outdoor classes in July. We are getting work done in so indoor gym sessions starting again will depend on how soon the works are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I know a number of gyms focusing on small group training / classes were operating this system even prior to COVID 19. Where space was an issue and they want to avoid overcrowding, and perhaps to increase accountability / reduce no-shows.

Honestly, makes sense across almost a lot of sectors - book ahead, minimise faffing around, spread people out... Even aside from the epidemiological aspect to it personally I find it very appealing.

I could understand that for gym businesses with small numbers of employees it could mean they are having to put on more training slots, however, and that could be challenging.

Yeah I'd agree. I was a bit iffy about going back but I really like the idea of getting a slot at say 9am for an hour and knowing it is there and regulated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

From RTE on twitter...

Cabinet tomorrow set to give green light to the reopening of hairdressers on June 29 following NPHET advice. Also under consideration tomorrow the possibility of restrictions around theatres, cinemas, gyms, contact sports and larger social gatherings being lifted early. @rtenews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

Looks like the gyms could reopen on the 29th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

We'll know soon enough, as long as social distancing and hygiene protocols are in place should be ok

OmegaGene wrote: »
    When is this fecking announcement, I have the news web page on and f5 is going to break soon
    it’s like waiting for Santa lol

I'd expect it during six one news

OmegaGene wrote: »
    RTÉ reporter just tweeted the 2m thing is staying for now and the meeting is ongoing

30 minutes Leo is due to make announcement

I wonder which show he'll quote this time.

Please let it be Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I wonder will pools be brought forward also?

I wonder will pools be brought forward also?

Independent saying it's being discussed so quite possible

If they open up gyms at the end of June, that will pretty much be all the restrictions lifted (aside from the restrictions involved in operation).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Thank God if restrictions are lifted. I feel pudgy as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Gyms are back the 29th

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement