Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

KiKi III wrote: »
    A friend of mine is fairly senior in dept of the Taoiseach. He thinks optimistically 4 weeks of the current restrictions and more realistically 6-8 weeks, followed by the phased reopening of certain sectors.

That would be the ideal scenario. No doubt someone businesses will go to the wall, but I’ve been around long enough to know that we’re survivors. We will adapt. Life will be different, but hopefully better and we’ll be more caring and considerate of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I seriously hope not. 2 weeks has felt like an age an we aren't even one week in.

4 weeks is no length. Don’t understand people making such a big deal of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If it was back to the restrictions before last Friday. I could do 4 weeks. Otherwise not. 6-8 weeks is unthinkable and not feasible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

A friend of mine is fairly senior in dept of the Taoiseach. He thinks optimistically 4 weeks of the current restrictions and more realistically 6-8 weeks, followed by the phased reopening of certain sectors.

Couldnt explain it better myself

Harris et al have mentioned recently a few times " 12 weeks" this or that so that brings us to June

FORSA sent out a memo to SNAs today and it mentioned 12 weeks

Current Lock down should and will last until early May so get used to current restrictions

If you can believe the Chinese it took Wuhan 12-14 weeks to relax some restrictions

I don't mind doing lock down March and April if I thought it would deal with it completely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Not everyone is living the same life in the same circumstances as you. It sounds like its easy street for you, but for many people it most definitely is not.

Think of those for example living in very cramped apartments, those living with extended family, those with young children (especially if they are special needs) who don't understand why they can't get out, those who live alone and cannot visit their friends/family, those living under the threat of domestic abuse, etc, etc. For so many people, these restrictions are torture. And thats before we even get to the economy, what its going to do to so many businesses.

Personally I really hope that they'll relax it back to how it was before last Friday. My optimism isn’t high though. Hand on heart, the impact these restrictions are having on me is causing me far more stress and worry than any perceived risk of catching the virus itself.

• Advertisement

If it was back to the restrictions before last Friday. I could do 4 weeks. Otherwise not. 6-8 weeks is unthinkable and not feasible really.

Why? What’s so hard about it?

You have access to every movie, book and piece of music ever created, exercise, plenty of ways to keep in touch with people, you can buy groceries and alcohol. The weather is generally grand and you can get out in it every day. Tons of free online courses to keep your mind stimulated.

What’s the problem?

antgal23 wrote: »
    Couldnt explain it better myself

Harris et al have mentioned recently a few times " 12 weeks" this or that so that brings us to June

FORSA sent out a memo to SNAs today and it mentioned 12 weeks

Current Lock down should and will last until early May so get used to current restrictions

If you can believe the Chinese it took Wuhan 12-14 weeks to relax some restrictions

I don't mind doing lock down March and April if I thought it would deal with it completely

I'd say maybe 12 weeks of some sort of restrictions but not current ones. They wouldn't have said 2 weeks if it was going to be 12 at the current level, they would have at least tried 4 to set expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Extreme level of restrictions! A few schools and bars are closed and some people consider that extreme.

Extreme would be the army and Gardai patrolling every major town and city in the country day and night.

Extreme would be forced by law to stay at home and if you left without written approval you would be fined or jailed.

Extreme would be where roads and bridges would be blocked off not allowing huge parts of the population to leave that particular area.

Extreme would be where you are no longer allowed leave house at all and supplies are brought to you and if you do try to leave you are bolted into house.

You have access to every movie, book and piece of music ever created, exercise, plenty of ways to keep in touch with people, you can buy groceries and alcohol. The weather is generally grand and you can get out in it every day. Tons of free online courses to keep your mind stimulated.

What’s the problem?

The "problem" is you are applying your outlook and world view and assuming the same applies to everyone else. It doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is what I was kind of thinking. I think current restrictions will be extended until the end of the month and then they’ll take stock. If new case numbers keep dropping will down to zero new cases soon enough. But then any relaxation of restrictions will have to be very gradual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would be a shame to negate all the positive stats (with respect to deceased) if the restrictions are lifted too early.

I’m going stir crazy, as are many others too, but the rules are for the good of all of us.

Hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Not everyone is living the same life in the same circumstances as you. It sounds like its easy street for you, but for many people it most definitely is not.

Think of those for example living in very cramped apartments, those living with extended family, those with young children (especially if they are special needs) who don't understand why they can't get out, those who live alone and cannot visit their friends/family, those living under the threat of domestic abuse, etc, etc. For so many people, these restrictions are torture. And thats before we even get to the economy, what its going to do to so many businesses.

Personally I really hope that they'll relax it back to how it was before last Friday. I'm not optimistic though :(
    this is what we have to remember. there is always someone worse off than us. I can keep busy for 2 months with diy and jobs at home. my OH seems to have an un ending list. its the people I cities and towns I feel sorry for . there are people out there in very cramped situtions and living in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

Sweden will fall back in line, like the UK and Netherlands. Both are those are a mess now.

I'd say maybe 12 weeks of some sort of restrictions but not current ones. They wouldn't have said 2 weeks if it was going to be 12 at the current level, they would have at least tried 4 to set expectations.

Tbf they only closed schools for 2 weeks at start

Deos anyone honestly think,they will be open before a potential early start in augest

JoeA3 wrote: »

Personally I really hope that they'll relax it back to how it was before last Friday. I'm not optimistic though :(

Of course if you care for someone with special needs or are a victim of domestic violence these circumstances are extremely difficult.

I’m talking about the people on the thread who are saying they can’t take it because they are outdoorsy, or anyone who thinks they can’t live without the pub.

this is what we have to remember. there is always someone worse off than us. I can keep busy for 2 months with diy and jobs at home. my OH seems to have an un ending list. its the people I cities and towns I feel sorry for . there are people out there in very cramped situtions and living in hell.

I live in a small apartment in the city and I’m absolutely grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

if it is lockdown with current restrictions for 12 weeks, 3months, there will be serious damage to the economy and to peoples heads.
    we will all crack up.
    the employees at the frontline and those working in shops, transport etc will be burnt out.
    the numbers of deaths will be have to be high enough to truly scare people or else most people at the end of this month will just go back to their normal lives regardless of what the state say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Simon Harris said:

Harris told radio station FM104 he is unsure when the restrictions will remain in place until but hopes some progress is made by Easter Sunday.
    “Will the measure be extended beyond Easter Sunday? I’ve got to be truthful, I don’t know. I think these measures are so restrictive and significant that you cannot leave them in place for a very long time.

So who does one believe, the minister or somebody on the internet who knows somebody who knows somebody.

It will really come down to the numbers, if it stays below 20 deaths a day for the next 2 weeks then it will be hard not to ease restrictions, even a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Of course if you care for someone with special needs or are a victim of domestic violence these circumstances are extremely difficult.

I’m talking about the people on the thread who are saying they can’t take it because they are outdoorsy, or anyone who thinks they can’t live without the pub.

Or if you are over 70 and cant leave house. Cant see children or grandchildren. You are under house arrest.

These circumstances are extremely diffucult.
    You couldnt go to the pub last week. We are talking about the current restriction levels.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can't see pubs opening for a long time. Some restaurants maybe, but pubs even if opened won't get big numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What’s the problem?

Because every person is different, your idea of bliss could be someone else's idea of hell. Its tough not being able to see your family.

What’s the problem?

Em maybe not seeing family, not playing or watching sports, seeing friends in person, I could go on? If it was so good why didn't we all just do this before. Ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The powers that be have been stating the worse case scenario at all times to "scare us into" following the restrictions. i.e 15k cases from leo.

Firstly we arent China or Italy, we actually got a head start so we dont have to have as long as restrictions as they do.

I reckon 3-4 weeks max of these restrictions and then it has to ease up.

When you know the contacts are down from 30 to 5 to 2, you know its working. When need the R value to 0 which means that the virus has noone to spread too.

Restrictions could be relaxed when we get the tracking app and maybe people who signed up for the app will be less restricted.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Or if you are over 70 and cant leave house. Cant see children or grandchildren. You are under house arrest.

These circumstances are extremely diffucult.
    You couldnt go to the pub last week. We are talking about the current restriction levels.

The current restrictions are absolutely workable for most people (not including the groups already mentioned).

Lots of countries have introduced far more stringent measures.

Anyone who thinks this is too restrictive because they are outdoorsy and aren’t getting to train as often as they would like would want to cop on.

I could live without the pubs indefinitely tbh and I love a pint and a bit of craic as much as anyone ;)

But the current level of restrictions (effective house arrest) are not sustainable for an indefinite period imo and thankfully Simon Harris admitted likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

scwazrh wrote: »
    If we stayed closed for longer than Easter Sunday there won’t be many small businesses left to open back up.
    Other countries are giving direct payments to affected business , ours is giving money to finance companies so that they can decide who to lend it to and charge interest rates up to 14%.

Agreed, best estimate at the min is 30 billion, half of what the bank bailout cost and that took 7/ 8 years to pay back. All capital spending houses etc etc will be on indefinite hold and it ooks like we are consigning another generation to austerity

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What about the people who lost their jobs and worried about providing for their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Of all the things to consider pubs are surely the least important. They'll be the last outlet to reopen.

easypazz wrote: »
    Simon Harris said:

Harris told radio station FM104 he is unsure when the restrictions will remain in place until but hopes some progress is made by Easter Sunday.
    “Will the measure be extended beyond Easter Sunday? I’ve got to be truthful, I don’t know. I think these measures are so restrictive and significant that you cannot leave them in place for a very long time.

So who does one believe, the minister or somebody on the internet who knows somebody who knows somebody.

It will really come down to the numbers, if it stays below 20 deaths a day for the next 2 weeks then it will be hard not to ease restrictions, even a little bit.

That’s entirely up to yourself. My friend has no political agenda to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What’s the problem?

When you have lost your business , and fear how to pay the rent in a months time , not the fun you outline -
    Maybe you enjoy solitary reading, good for you , but most humans are actually social animals , they enjoy the pub / cafes / having fun / hugs / the oudoors / sport / concerts / general comardarie - the mental & economic cost of this in 2 months will be so severe, that it will be nearly as big a problem as what we are now facing - you may enjoy this so called living, but for many of us it is pretty unbearable, and we are bearing with it for the benefit of the vulnerable in our society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement