Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Beasty wrote: »
    If we manage to get 150,000 test results by the end of the month I suspect we would then be at 15,000 confirmed cases. Alas I suspect we will only have a third or less of that number of test results. We were never going to hit 15,000 while we were only ever testing 2,000 now increasing to 4,500 a day. The one (and possibly only) way to keep down confirmed figures is to keep down the numbers tested

Based on what's happening elsewhere we could well have 10s of thousands, perhaps add another 0 to that, of actual infections (bearing in mind up to 80% may not show symptoms but can still spread it which is why social distancing is critical to slow the spread)

Lets hope this is the case, if a 100,000 or so are infected so far and hospitals are not at breaking point, this has to be great news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

john4321 wrote: »
    Already explained on the aviation forum. No conspiracy.

Ah, that explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

nthclare wrote: »
    Which airport did these flights land in?

Maybe they're extra medical staff or something???

The flights have been regular occurance for a number of years, maybe you missed the memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Beasty wrote: »
    If we manage to get 150,000 test results by the end of the month I suspect we would then be at 15,000 confirmed cases. Alas I suspect we will only have a third or less of that number of test results. We were never going to hit 15,000 while we were only ever testing 2,000 now increasing to 4,500 a day. The one (and possibly only) way to keep down confirmed figures is to keep down the numbers tested

Based on what's happening elsewhere we could well have 10s of thousands, perhaps add another 0 to that, of actual infections (bearing in mind up to 80% may not show symptoms but can still spread it which is why social distancing is critical to slow the spread)

i dont think we would be anywhere near it , surly there would be loads of people at least some bit sick if there were , was there not some prediction of 5000 people by the end of the month needing some form of medical care , surly we are nowhere near that level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Already explained on the aviation forum. No conspiracy.

That explains it...Out of curiosity,what happens on the flight when they land to refuel?
    Does everyone stay onboard?
    Do they get off and wander around the airport?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

3 flights coming in from Addis Ababa are refuelling on their way to North America

There is a Ethiopian flight to Dublin that stops in Brussels first. (Seems to be suspended atm). Ethiopian used to run a flight from Addis Ababa to Los Angeles that picked up Irish passengers in Dublin, which they ended and rerouted rerouted via Lomé and subsequently cancelled this route

Regardless of how many flights are coming into Ireland, they aren’t packed full of infected carriers being let roam around the country. Most of the flights have very limited passenger loads, mainly Irish people coming home from holidays or non-Irish people going back home on the return legs. A lot of the flights are also bringing in cargo. We are an Ireland after all

There surely can’t be straight thinking people here of the opinion that there is hoards of infected tourists coming into the country every day? Who in their right mind would book a holiday to a country in lockdown, with nowhere to stay and nothing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Is anyone feeling the positives of the virus. I remember during the beast from the east everything shut down and I walked to the local shop and everyone was taking things slow and I spent days at home with the kids etc and I. I though how nice it would be if the snow stayed around a bit longer. I know there's a lot of horrific stuff that goes with this but there is some good. Like everything has stopped. People are at home. Most families aren't rushing their kids out in the morning and picking them up stressed in the evening. They sit with them during the day, teaching them.
    A lot of the regular stress of life is gone away. It seems everything we do now has more importance.
    Pollution is massively reduced. The rat race has ground to a halt. People aren't looking at the next city break or next holiday. No more shopping for crap we don't need. The positive of something like this is it gives everyone some real time to figure out what's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    That explains it...Out of curiosity,what happens on the flight when they land to refuel?
    Does everyone stay onboard?
    Do they get off and wander around the airport?

Why would they get off the aircraft? Not sure what you are trying to push here?

I'm guessing its someone picking up on the BS from people like this calling the whole thing a false flag.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1244026466083450881?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Spain is deepening it's restrictions and has announced today that all non-essential workers are to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Cuomo throwing around "civil war" comments about Trump's possible plans to block off NY. Dangerous language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Gemma's family really need to get her help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

marno21 wrote: »
    3 flights coming in from Addis Ababa are refuelling on their way to North America

There is a Ethiopian flight to Dublin that stops in Brussels first. (Seems to be suspended atm). Ethiopian used to run a flight from Addis Ababa to Los Angeles that picked up Irish passengers in Dublin, which they ended and rerouted rerouted via Lomé and subsequently cancelled this route

Regardless of how many flights are coming into Ireland, they aren’t packed full of infected carriers being let roam around the country. Most of the flights have very limited passenger loads, mainly Irish people coming home from holidays or non-Irish people going back home on the return legs. A lot of the flights are also bringing in cargo. We are an Ireland after all

There surely can’t be straight thinking people here of the opinion that there is hoards of infected tourists coming into the country every day? Who in their right mind would book a holiday to a country in lockdown, with nowhere to stay and nothing to do?

1 case in Ethiopia according to the map!!

I doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It might look like US is more an epicentre now but it really is still Europe definitely at the moment, the five biggest nations of Europe (Germany, France , Spain ,Italy and UK) have a similar population combined to the US but collectively had around 30,000 new cases today

I doubt that.
    What'sy our point?

Why would they get off the aircraft? Not sure what you are trying to push here?

I'm guessing its someone picking up on the BS from people like this calling the whole thing a false flag.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1244026466083450881?s=20

NP & Gems followers on here, never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Is anyone feeling the positives of the virus. I remember during the beast from the east everything shut down and I walked to the local shop and everyone was taking things slow and I spent days at home with the kids etc and I. I though how nice it would be if the snow stayed around a bit longer. I know there's a lot of horrific stuff that goes with this but there is some good. Like everything has stopped. People are at home. Most families aren't rushing their kids out in the morning and picking them up stressed in the evening. They sit with them during the day, teaching them.
    A lot of the regular stress of life is gone away. It seems everything we do now has more importance.
    Pollution is massively reduced. The rat race has ground to a halt. People aren't looking at the next city break or next holiday. No more shopping for crap we don't need. The positive of something like this is it gives everyone some real time to figure out what's important.

A friend said the same to me tonight, hopefully after this people will slow down a bit instead of this endless need to get ahead(let's face it that rarely happens in today's system)

What'sy our point?

That 3rd world countries have no clue about their cases and basically this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

7hRi4.jpg
    What's the actual law preventing employers from still running their businesses?
    Or say if these runners that want to run past 2km - what penalty will they get for breaking the rule?
    The police can't fine you if there is no law against what you're doing.
    So far what Leo said is just advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

wakka12 wrote: »
    It might look like US is more an epicentre now but it really is still Europe definitely at the moment, the five biggest nations of Europe (Germany, France , Spain ,Italy and UK) have a similar population combined to the US but collectively had around 30,000 new cases today

yeah but that's changing rapidly.

Here's a picture of a Florida beach today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/travisakers/status/1243990179557359616

So yeah... sometimes stereotypes (Americans, Germans, Chinese) run true. Of course in europe a lot of people weren't so good either until they forced it by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dubai on the verge of requesting a financial bailout from Abu Dhabi.

Whether they get it or not is open to question...

• Advertisement

I doubt that.

Out of 1 person tested so far

Exactly.

Africa is screwed.

That 3rd world countries have no clue about their cases and basically this pandemic.

Probably true due to healthcare restrictions. nothing to do wit flights from Ethiopia stopping to refuel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

A friend said the same to me tonight, hopefully after this people will slow down a bit instead of this endless need to get ahead(let's face it that rarely happens in today's system)

Yeah, I was talking to a friend earlier and we were saying how last week we were anxious and really wanted to go back to normal. Now we are a little apprehensive about life going back to normal because in a way life seems simpler now. It's more about getting food, making sure kids are doing a bit of homework etc. There's no place to go and nothing to do so it's like other worries are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

16 cases so far

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Probably true due to healthcare restrictions. nothing to do wit flights from Ethiopia stopping to refuel though.
    Because people don't live to be 70 there.

Because people don't live to be 70 there.
    Not sure I follow that logic. what do you mean?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

i dont think we would be anywhere near it , surly there would be loads of people at least some bit sick if there were , was there not some prediction of 5000 people by the end of the month needing some form of medical care , surly we are nowhere near that level
    It takes a few days to turn round tests. They abandoned a backlog of 40,000 lined up for tests and started a new queue with many, possibly most, of those 40,000 "no longer qualifying". Some of those showing symptoms may well have recovered before they reached the top of that test queue.

Yes it's speculative, but based on information that is in the public domain. When you overlay the way this has spread in other jurisdictions, I do not consider it to be an unreasonable view. If they gave us the numbers tested and the dates tests were taken when releasing their updates things would be quite a lot clearer in terms of how this is evolving.

Now they do have that information, which I presume is informing their actions, including the further restrictions announced on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

1641 wrote: »
    I expect there will be some move from the insurance companies in the next week or so.

Nobody should be paying Health Insurance right now. It's useless. It's money I don't have.

The Health Insurance Companies need to put a stay on payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I doubt that.

Well I doubt many of their rich folk were skiing in northern Italy or Austria to bring the virus back to their fellow citizens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement