Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What world are we living in? A 17 year old in America died of this virus because he didn't have insurance. So fcuked up that they think so little of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭1641

A stay on Health Insurance payments would be welcome for the next couple of months.

Health Insurance is currently worthless, I'm wondering why I'm paying it.

I expect there will be some move from the insurance companies in the next week or so. They said something to this effect the other day - they wanted to see the details of the arrangements between the private hospitals and the HSE first.

Also, when this is over, there will be such a backlog of demand on HSE services that it may be especially useful to have private health cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I have an aunt who’s 76 and she maintains that nobody is going to ‘cocoon’ her. She walks 2 miles a day into the nearest village and she intends to continue. She said they could throw her in gaol if they want, she’d be no worse off anyway.

How many people has she infected to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    294 new cases, I thought we might be seeing some decreasing in numbers now considering testing criteria changed and social physical distancing

Testing criteria being changed means we should see an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I did some training for contact tracing on Friday in the RCSI. I still don't have much info on the logistics of it, they just went through the 3 calls that are made to people who test positive, but it seems to me if they call everyone and those who had close contact with someone who tested positive, and they do what they are told (quarantine, isolation), along with a lockdown in place, this shouldn't spread as bad as people think it might.
    They said the list of close contacts people are listing now, since the measures came in, are way shorter than they were at the start. So that's a good thing. I have to say the whole thing which was run by HSE environmental health officers was very professional, for all the stick the HSE get I thought they were on the ball and amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

This might a mad notion, but I'm going to put it out there anyway... (from my non-medically trained mind - so go easy)

Is it possible that these severe cases going into ICU, might be getting worse by being in an environment where the air is literally filled with high quantities of this virus from so many other patients?

I know they've already been infected, but can you become even worse by being exposed to large amounts of the virus in a cramped hospital ward?

I was reading about the Spanish Flu, and some people think the illness got much worse in overcrowded wards with soldiers during the war... and actually turned into a kind of supercharged virus. This is why some people believe that it was attacking strong healthy men and able to overwhelm their immune systems. There were other counter theories for this phenomenon too though.

And now we are starting to see more and more younger patients getting struck down with covid too. (of course not like on the scale of the Spanish Flu)

This was just rolling around in my head... probably a foolish notion!

Italian doctors issued a plea last week to other countries to try to treat as many cases as possible at home, to avoid hospital transmissions.

They also recommended setting up Covid 19 only medical centres similar to the "Fever Hospital" approach taken in London 200 years ago.
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/21/coronavirus-plea-from-italy-treat-patients-at-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I suppose they're trying to prevent a panic on the nursing homes as well by obfuscating figures. If families think their loved ones are in more danger inside a nursing home they might start taking them home.

Its hard to isolate in a nursing home.

Anything short of staff wearing hazmat suits means everyone is at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is that video in Paris real. I thought all shops in France had closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I have been diagnosed with asthma by a doctor caused by an infection of the chest. I'm in early 40s and never had asthma before. Had other symptoms in the beginning.

I don't know if the infection was caused by Covid-19 but the doctor said it was viral and highly unusual and is why he put me forward for the test.

I don't suffer from anxiety whatsoever.

It might be worth phoning your GP again. I have asthma. It's a bitch without inhalers but not noticeable with them. Did they prescribe inhalers or other treatment for the asthma?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You're video the one you posted shows **** all high up or low down about whats happening in a country. It has zero info. It is a totally pointless video. It shouldn't shape anyone's opinion one way or another

Yet you posted it to make a point.

It helps shape my opinion of people's attitudes and I will continue posting tweets and videos as I see fit to make my points.

There is an ignore button on the left. You don't have to view anything from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I have an aunt who’s 76 and she maintains that nobody is going to ‘cocoon’ her. She walks 2 miles a day into the nearest village and she intends to continue. She said they could throw her in gaol if they want, she’d be no worse off anyway.

She sounds like a moron that could either get herself very sick or more importantly infect others.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

What world are we living in? A 17 year old in America died of this virus because he didn't have insurance. So fcuked up that they think so little of life.

The same world where people die of hunger in Africa and we don't even get any news about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Just listened to the news...

Who the hell came up with the advertising exec double speak "cocooning" ?

Have the powers that be considered the effects of this 'house arrest without trial' on the over 70s.

They have a one in five chance of dying due to coronavirus.

What chance have they without fresh air and exercise... DVT risk, pulmonary embolism, depression etc. ?

Less than one in five ?

It has been established that they will be triaged and not get a critical care bed or a ventilator if they present to hospital, no matter how ill they are.

What is the point in enforcing this charade ?

I think you need to step away from the computer and go and have a time out in a darkened room.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The idea of wearing masks to break the link between the face and the hands is really good.

I heard a chap talking about elasticated string tied to a watch/bracelet and clipped to a trouser belt, at such a length that it acts as a restriction and then reminder to wash hands first before going near the face. I thought at the time that he was a bit barmy but tbh he was in the ballpark in thinking about how to break the habit, link, or whatever to touching the face. It may look daft but hey if it worked and discouraged subconcious hand to face touching - its not half as odd as some of the things people are doing including wearing gloves and then touching their face anyway thinking the gloves wont pick up the virus.

How many people have you infected to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hopefully nobody. I'm following the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ooohh Burn!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

We all know the CCP lie. The rest of your post is unfortunately hyperbole.

Now back to the question can you give an credible evidence that the virus is out of control in China?

I didn't say the virus was out of control in China it was another poster. What I am trying to say is that it is wise to be skeptical of anything that comes out of China. They have also just barred foreigners entry to China and are kicking out journalists so we will never actually have any credible reports from China. There is no credible Chinese press and anything we read should be held up under the microscope.

Given the virality of this virus and the statistics from China it would be foolish to think they had it under control. Maybe they do but it is highly doubtful. Was speaking to a colleague in our Beijing office the other day and he was telling me 33% of the people are working in the office and 67% at home. They rotate. That is not the sign of a nation who has beaten this virus or has it under control.

Heres an article saying they have had to close cinemas: Cinema Closures

Why would China remove journalists?
    Taiwan invites former Chinese correspondents

Here's a link from Chinese South Morning Post saying they reckon a lot of cases still are not recorded in Wuhan:
    SCMP link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

how many have you infected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭standardg60

I have been diagnosed with asthma by a doctor caused by an infection of the chest. I'm in early 40s and never had asthma before. Had other symptoms in the beginning.

I don't know if the infection was caused by Covid-19 but the doctor said it was viral and highly unusual and is why he put me forward for the test.

I don't suffer from anxiety whatsoever.

My apologies then.
    I've found myself becoming frustrated by the 94% negative test rate and the needless waste of valuable resources, whether it's due to the 'worried well' or trigger happy GPs, but it seems your case was a valid one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I think you need to step away from the computer and go and have a time out in a darkened room.........

Demean the poster... nice tactic.

How about answering any of the questions ?

Infecting people by purposely not following guidelines because you simply don't want to is different than accidentally infecting people while adhering to good practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

wakka12 wrote: »
    Is that video in Paris real. I thought all shops in France had closed

How would people get food with all shops closed?

Hopefully nobody. I'm following the guidelines.

But you don't know. You have touched surfaces, been out and about, living your life.
    And you cast aspersions on an old lady that just goes for a walk every day.
    'How many has she infected'
    What a nasty comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I pay for private health care. I am delighted to hear private hospitals will now be part of the community effort in fighting this virus. I am not naive and suspect the Private Hospitals have entered into a lucrative contract with HSE for this. Whatever.

I don't want a refund.

Was thinking that health care as one tier based on need, might be a great thing in the long run.

I think current private hospitals should be reserved for elective procedures, and the HSE hospitals for urgent and critical care. Would that ever work.

They are providing their facilities at cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

tuxy wrote: »
    How would people get food with all shops closed?

Hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

First flight about to land in China. https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

507399.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Un1corn wrote: »
    I didn't say the virus was out of control in China it was another poster. What I am trying to say is that it is wise to be skeptical of anything that comes out of China. They have also just barred foreigners entry to China and are kicking out journalists so we will never actually have any credible reports from China. There is no credible Chinese press and anything we read should be held up under the microscope.

Given the virality of this virus and the statistics from China it would be foolish to think they had it under control. Maybe they do but it is highly doubtful. Was speaking to a colleague in our Beijing office the other day and he was telling me 33% of the people are working in the office and 67% at home. They rotate. That is not the sign of a nation who has beaten this virus or has it under control.

Heres an article saying they have had to close cinemas: Taiwan invites former Chinese correspondents

Why would China remove journalists?

Here's a link from Chinese South Morning Post saying they reckon there are a lot of cases still in Wuhan:
    SCMP link

SARS was serious in China a few years back. As was bird flu. As was swine flu. Do you think that they similarly failed to get those under control. Perhaps they are still rampant in China and for some miraculous reason they aren't escaping the border......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Aer Lingus flight just landing in Beijing.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-28-at-20-25-21.png

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Ohh so the public must be 'cocooned' from the dangerous over 70s

I thought it was the other way around !

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement