Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Soldiers on boats and trains spread that disease among the general population

And we allowed plane loads of people into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

cnocbui wrote: »

Those numbers are incredibly bad for a city of 8m

old_aussie wrote: »
    What planet are you on?

In the country were we predicted 15000 cases by month end. So yeah, things are going much better than predicted, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

bekker wrote: »
    ICUs - anyone any information about supplies of Helmet CPAP available to the Irish Hospital system, and whether their use forms any part of the treatment strategy.

Big advantage of CPAP is that it does not require intubation of the cases for which it is inititaily suitable.

It is relatively simple technology so it may be possible to produce and assemble here.

20160524-respiratory.jpg?itok=zo6Bw2lC&timestamp=1464030316

Italians have been adapting French diving masks with 3-D printed fittings.

ISINNOVAjpg-780x470.jpg

One study from Italy showed 30% of admissions needed respiratory support which was met with Helmet CPAP (not face mask CPAP*).
    https://rebelem.com/covid-19-a-powerful-message-from-italy/

Few days ago I read a report somewhere that Italians had found that with CPAP usage a significant number of the hospitalised did not deteriorate to the expected extent and so did not need ICU beds. (didn't link it unfortunately).

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/helmet-based-ventilation-eases-respiratory-distress
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Exhaled+air+dispersion+during+non-invasive+ventilation+via+helmet+masks

Bumping this can anybody with 3D printer replicate this maybe Doctors could use their network to converse with the Italians

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

And we allowed plane loads of people into the country.

Sure Simon said we couldn't.

'We can't ban travel': Health Minister rules out screening for Covid-19 at Irish airports

https://www.thejournal.ie/we-cant-ban-travel-health-minister-rules-out-screening-at-irish-airports-as-covid-19-spreads-5022235-Feb2020/

Best boys in the EU class are the Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

This virus is spreading so fast with over 660,000 people infected. Can this be on par with the Spanish flu?
    There are reckoned to be to 60 or more times that number infected, they just were either never tested, or tested at stage when they were shedding insufficiently to register as positive.

Personally I would be quite surprised if less than 100M have been infected to date. Were it ever possible to confirm such figures other than in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yes it's important context but I don't think it's any kind of media sensationalism responsible for the headlines coming out of Italy, the numbers simply are sensational

Sensational right now but the USA will eclipse that significantly. Both cases and death rate are rocketing. Trump is in complete denial and there's division everywhere you look. Governers criticising other governers, trump criticising governers, the republican democrat feud at an all time low. I wouldn't be surprised to see 250,000 die there in the next 2 to 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Even Kim Jong-un bored off his head like the rest of us, he has the luxury of being able to make his own fun with a missile launch, the sooner the football is back the better...
    North Korea fired at least one "unidentified projectile" into the sea off its east coast, the Yonhap news agency reported, citing the South's military Joint Chiefs of Staff.

The projectile was fired towards the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, the report said, adding that additional details were not immediately available from military officials.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0328/1127047-north-korea-missile/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

I have a vision in my mind of a smug English person explaining the UK strategy with a bucket and a bottle with hole in it. No matter how much he tips the bucket back, the water keeps flowing, and the bottle is full.Is he doing it right?
    I wouldn't get too smug ourselves. Our Government have flights still coming in from all over the place despite a pandemic raging.

Not very smart is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If anyone can solve the ventilator problem its Musk/Tesla. Far more innovative and dynamic than GM.

Trump turned to the wrong company.

Depends on Musks frame of mind, we dont want a repeat of the mini submarine in the tight caves incident.

https://twitter.com/USNavy/status/1244027034600423424

The people of New York must be very excited

Its views as a mix between Independence Day and his re-election campaign. I've no doubt they are planning on using it again in TV ads for the presidential campaign in October.

Problem is Cuomo is screaming out for 30,000 ventilators. The virus is a lot more serious than sending a ship to New York with 12 operating theaters and making grandstanding speeches about it. Dont get me wrong, its better than nothing but its still nowhere near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

owlbethere wrote: »
    If I needed a ventilator, I definitely wouldn't want one made by Dyson.

Don't worry, apparently they are just taking all the credit for a design another company came up with, so it's not really a Dyson.

How about one made by Airbus, who are leading their own consortium? I doubt any of us would care by the point we needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

statesaver wrote: »

'We can't ban travel': Health Minister rules out screening for Covid-19 at Irish airports

https://www.thejournal.ie/we-cant-ban-travel-health-minister-rules-out-screening-at-irish-airports-as-covid-19-spreads-5022235-Feb2020/

No vaccine for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

statesaver wrote: »

While other EU countries were restricting the free movement of people in mainland europe,our bunch of morons deciding it was a good time to bow down and lick the feet of the EU when we are on an island with way easier ways of reducing the spread of the virus.
    Fcuking fools.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Depends on Musks frame of mind, we dont want a repeat of the mini submarine in the tight caves incident.

Its views as a mix between Independence Day and his re-election campaign. I've no doubt thy are planing on using it again in tv ads come the presidential campaign in October.

Problem is Cuomo is screaming out for 30,000 ventilators. The virus is a lot more serious than sending a ship to New York with 12 operating theaters and making grandstanding speeches about it. Dont get me wrong, its better than nothing but its still nowhere near enough.

Trump is a fool. Yer man is still a vacuous tulip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

beolight wrote: »
    Bumping this can anybody with 3D printer replicate this maybe Doctors could use their network to converse with the Italians

The plans are online for the valves, but the masks might be a little harder to het.

Can someone explain why three flights are landing from Ethiopia at early morning while everyone is locked in their house?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

bekker wrote: »
    There are reckoned to be to 60 or more times that number infected, they just were either never tested, or tested at stage when they were shedding insufficiently to register as positive.

Personally I would be quite surprised if less than 100M have been infected to date. Were it ever possible to confirm such figures other than in retrospect.

Highly unlikely that anywhere near 100 million have been infected. Even a low estimate of 0.5 - 1% death rate would mean that 500,000 to 1 million would have died by now if that were the case.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In the country were we predicted 15000 cases by month end. So yeah, things are going much better than predicted, thanks.

If we manage to get 150,000 test results by the end of the month I suspect we would then be at 15,000 confirmed cases. Alas I suspect we will only have a third or less of that number of test results. We were never going to hit 15,000 while we were only ever testing 2,000 now increasing to 4,500 a day. The one (and possibly only) way to keep down confirmed figures is to keep down the numbers tested

Based on what's happening elsewhere we could well have 10s of thousands, perhaps add another 0 to that, of actual infections (bearing in mind up to 80% may not show symptoms but can still spread it which is why social distancing is critical to slow the spread)

Strazdas wrote: »
    Those numbers are incredibly bad for a city of 8m

That’s just NYC itself don’t forget. The entire metropolitan area (Newark, Jersey City etc) has a population of nearly 20m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Lavinia wrote: »
    I expected such comments of cours cancer is not contagious but im just saying that covid is not as deadly as some other illnesses are

Compare like with like then as comparing cancer with Covid-19 isn't right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Can someone explain why three flights are landing from Ethiopia at early morning while everyone is locked in their house?

Are you serious?
    Thats just stupid if true?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Updated list on essential occupations...

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1127041/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes, they are definitely going well. We may not even reach the revised best case scenario of 5000 by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

https://twitter.com/USNavy/status/1244027034600423424

The people of New York must be very excited

No amount of dramatic music can make that dribbling ****wit sound inspiring.

Beasty wrote: »
    If we manage to get 150,000 test results by the end of the month I suspect we would then be at 15,000 confirmed cases. Alas I suspect we will only have a third or less of that number of test results. We were never going to hit 15,000 while we were only ever testing 2,000 now increasing to 4,500 a day. The one (and possibly only) way to keep down confirmed figures is to keep down the numbers tested

Based on what's happening elsewhere we could well have 10s of thousands, perhaps add another 0 to that, of actual infections (bearing in mind up to 80% may not show symptoms but can still spread it which is why social distancing is critical to slow the spread)
    Touching me, touching you, uh huh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Which airport did these flights land in?

Maybe they're extra medical staff or something???

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Thats just stupid if true?

3 coming in early from Addis Ababa.

Such a traditional Irish route after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,636 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Already explained on the aviation forum. No conspiracy.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Theres currently 3x Ethiopian aircraft within 30mins of each other all bound for Dublin. ETH574 eta 3:40am (B787), ETH500 eta 4:20am (B777) and ETH552 eta 4:30am(B787).

Wonder are these stopover flights to recover people from the United States?

IngazZagni wrote: »
    No this is a daily thing. They are fuel stops as the high altitude in Addis Ababa makes it extremely performance limiting for aircraft so are unable to takeoff with the quantity of fuel required to get to the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

The street I live on is usually full of life on a Saturday night even during storms but tonight it's so quiet it's actually kind of spooky, but I'm glad my neighbours seem to be doing the right thing

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »

Maybe they're extra medical staff or something???

From Ethiopia?

(Coming into Dublin)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement