Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you need a ventilator made by Tesla at the moment, you would be out of luck as they haven't made any. Same for the vaunted 'Dyson' (not really Dyson) ventilator. If there were actually as many ventilators being made and delivered, as there are tweets and headlines about them, that would indeed be useful.

Thanks be to goodness I don't need one.
    My point was that if Tesla or Dyson or anybody else made one I wouldn't be worried about their ego or twitter count.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

FFS you aren't seriously comparing Dyson with Musk companies??

One makes vacuam cleaners. The other is trying to put a man on Mars and built the biggest Rocket since Saturn 5 while also delivering over a million electric cars.

Tesla is owned by Elon but Tesla has nothing to do with Space X!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

One makes vacuam cleaners. The other is trying to put a man on Mars and built the biggest Rocket since Saturn 5 while also delivering over a million electric cars.

In fairness they also make those things that blow piss off your hands on to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

New York reports 277 new deaths so far today. Highest total so far. 140 yesterday.

wow. tell me, where do you get those new york stats from ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This virus is spreading so fast with over 660,000 people infected. Can this be on par with the Spanish flu?

I really don't think Spanish flu had the environment to spread this quickly. Air travel was in its infancy, and it would have spread between continents on boats rather than planes with a much slower transmission within countries also. Back at that time most people rarely left their home town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

niallo27 wrote: »
    You make it sound like you are planning something personally.

You must have missed the part where i said the world so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

12 operating beds? How many ICU? is this just propaganda. I think our boat on the Liffey probably has 12 beds.

Operating beds for surgery.
    Over 1000 patient beds

If we looked at any other country and saw almost 2500 cases and 36 deaths, we’d be wondering what they were doing right.

Things are going very well so far but obviously we need to try bolt in the elders and avoid infecting nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dougm1970 wrote: »
    wow. tell me, where do you get those new york stats from ?

New section for the US on worldometers.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This virus is spreading so fast with over 660,000 people infected. Can this be on par with the Spanish flu?

I've been considering this question too.

And in some ways, it's apples and oranges.
    The 1918 flu had a higher mortality rate and a much younger susceptibility group, which of course is more tragic, no disrespect to the ill and elderly.

We also have a much higher global population now with air travel being a perfect transmission route between countries.

It will certainly be the worst respiratory illness pandemic since 1918,but then again, consider HIV, smallpox, polio etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Tesla is owned by Elon but Tesla has nothing to do with Space X!

Spacex and Tesla use each others technologies and innovations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

12 operating beds? How many ICU? is this just propaganda. I think our boat on the Liffey probably has 12 beds.

Saw on Sky News that the ships will be used for non coronavirus patients so it can free up beds in New York hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

People saying China and conspiracy theories what about North Korea?
    Possibly some biochemical virus world cannot detect. Ok conspiracy theories BUT , I had a nuclear bone scan Tuesday 3rd March in Mater . Radioactive for 24 hrs , was injected into blood stream to do scan . Woke Wednesday 4th to a bad throat . Started off taking paracetamol and neurofen plus Wednesday didn’t help at all . Thursday 5th saw GP gave me augmentin in case it was bronchitis sinuses paining whether I had temp dunno ( wasn’t like what’s been described) but I proceeded to develop a racking cough 2 days later. Friday 6th.Then chest pressure Sunday Monday8/9th . Then rang gp Wednesday 11th got second antibiotic and steroids by phone. He brought me in Thursday 12th lungs clear . Next day criteria changed for testing for all respiratory cases to be tested so had I been there fri /sat I would have been tested . He rang me paddy’s day Tuesday 17th I had improved immensely.
    So I wondered is it possible I had symptoms but the radiation dissipated them in some way?? My conspiracy theory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

If we looked at any other country and saw almost 2500 cases and 36 deaths, we’d be wondering what they were doing right.

Things are going very well so far but obviously we need to try bolt in the elders and avoid infecting nursing homes.

we will reach a day when the deaths are likely to be huge, right now is early days for us, it takes weeks for many to die from the disease

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If you need a ventilator made by Tesla at the moment, you would be out of luck as they haven't made any. Same for the vaunted 'Dyson' (not really Dyson) ventilator. If there were actually as many ventilators being made and delivered, as there are tweets and headlines about them, that would indeed be useful.

If I needed a ventilator, I definitely wouldn't want one made by Dyson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

elperello wrote: »
    Thanks be to goodness I don't need one.
    My point was that if Tesla or Dyson or anybody else made one I wouldn't be worried about their ego or twitter count.

There's some very fussy people out there. They'd check the label first of the ventilator.

Trump turned to GM. A great company but still with a 20th century mindset. Lets see how it plays out.

Personally I would have gone with Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Oh don't worry China have a day of reckoning coming. The world is not going to forget about this.

The world is not buying any of the statistics the trash talking Xi Jinping, the Lying Butcher of China provides.

The world should stop all trade with China for 10 years and until Xi Jinping, the Lying Butcher of China and his crony government can supply verified data.

I see Xi Jinping, the Lying Butcher of China is having a big sell-off of all their faulty medical supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Shelly66 wrote: »
    People saying China and conspiracy theories what about North Korea?
    Possibly some biochemical virus world cannot detect. Ok conspiracy theories BUT , I had a nuclear bone scan Tuesday 3rd March in Mater . Radioactive for 24 hrs , was injected into blood stream to do scan . Woke Wednesday 4th to a bad throat . Started off taking paracetamol and neurofen plus Wednesday didn’t help at all . Thursday 5th saw GP gave me augmentin in case it was bronchitis sinuses paining whether I had temp dunno ( wasn’t like what’s been described) but I proceeded to develop a racking cough 2 days later. Friday 6th.Then chest pressure Sunday Monday8/9th . Then rang gp Wednesday 11th got second antibiotic and steroids by phone. He brought me in Thursday 12th lungs clear . Next day criteria changed for testing for all respiratory cases to be tested so had I been there fri /sat I would have been tested . He rang me paddy’s day Tuesday 17th I had improved immensely.
    So I wondered is it possible I had symptoms but the radiation dissipated them in some way?? My conspiracy theory :)

There is no conspiracy theory about China. The virus began there. They are trying to distance themselves from these claims and blaming it on America and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Operating beds for surgery.
    Over 1000 patient beds

I understand that the plan is to use the ship for regular hospital patients not Covid 19 sufferers.

statesaver wrote: »
    Saw on Sky News that the ships will be used for non coronavirus patients so it can free up beds in New York hospitals.

Its a risky strategy. If even one infected patient gets on that ship it could end up like the cruise ships or worse. I can see medics infected and then infecting patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, you are right, they are incomparable: one makes a lot of profit and the other doesn't, regularly running back to the market to raise fresh capital to keep the tweet train in play.

Yes, you are right, they are incomparable: one makes a lot of profit and the other doesn't, regularly running back to the market to raise fresh capital to keep the tweet train in play.

Ok now I know you're taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

What planet are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Beasty wrote: »
    I really don't think Spanish flu had the environment to spread this quickly. Air travel was in its infancy, and it would have spread between continents on boats rather than planes with a much slower transmission within countries also. Back at that time most people rarely left their home town

Soldiers on boats and trains spread that disease among the general population

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Its a risky strategy. If even one infected patient gets on that ship it could end up like the cruise ships or worse. I can see medics infected and then infecting patients.

I'd imagine patients would be tested before going onto the ship. Yes, a risky strategy but hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

12 operating rooms. Most hospitals in Ireland wouldn't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Makes 506 new deaths so far today across the US, with 19,145 new cases so far.

End total for yesterday in terms of fatalities was 401.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fr336 wrote: »
    Worldometers is such a great site. Of active cases in Italy, 94% are mild and 6% are critical. It's still really really bad, but not as mad sounding as the headlines...

Yes it's important context but I don't think it's any kind of media sensationalism responsible for the headlines coming out of Italy, the numbers simply are sensational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Un1corn wrote: »
    There is no conspiracy theory about China. The virus began there. They are trying to distance themselves from these claims and blaming it on America and Italy.
    It originated there, we all know this. Same way viruses have jumped to humans for millennia. Next one could be from here for all we know.

What we have seen is Chinese folk, whether it's guilt or otherwise, since stepping up to the plate. They went through the biggest lock down in history, not their fault the west didn't pay attentionm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement