Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I’m glad I live in Galway and not the UK

Few more places for you not to live so, Germany Spain and Italy reopened bars restaurants and beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Move to the countryside. You can get out and enjoy the fresh air, walks, cycles, meet friends/neighbours, to your hearts content and no one will bother you. Thank god for the great sunshine. :)

The "authorities" don't have the will or the man power to "keep people apart". It is the stuff of fantasy to suggest that's going to happen. They'll instead pick on easy low-hanging-fruit targets. For example, there's a lovely family run cafe in Oranmore, which had a couple of park benches setup outside, all 2 metres apart, etc, and the HSE came along yesterday and told them to remove the benches. Meanwhile the Spanish Arch is thronged with people and no one's doing anything about that. I wonder why. This is a business that is just trying to get back on its feet, the same business opened last Christmas Day and voluntarily fed the homeless... arguably the job of the HSE, who are now thwarting their attempts to get going again. Is it any wonder people don't respect the rules, such as they are.

If some people want to hide in their bedrooms then go ahead.... most well adjusted people won't be joining you.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

How are they closing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Move to the countryside. You can get out and enjoy the fresh air, walks, cycles, meet friends/neighbours, to your hearts content and no one will bother you. Thank god for the great sunshine. :)

The "authorities" don't have the will or the man power to "keep people apart". It is the stuff of fantasy to suggest that's going to happen. They'll instead pick on easy low-hanging-fruit targets. For example, there's a lovely family run cafe in Oranmore, which had a couple of park benches setup outside, all 2 metres apart, etc, and the HSE came along yesterday and told them to remove the benches. Meanwhile the Spanish Arch is thronged with people and no one's doing anything about that. I wonder why. This is a business that is just trying to get back on its feet, the same business opened last Christmas Day and voluntarily fed the homeless... arguably the job of the HSE, who are now thwarting their attempts to get going again. Is it any wonder people don't respect the rules, such as they are.

If some people want to hide in their bedrooms then go ahead.... most well adjusted people won't be joining you.

They’ve benches outside the huntsman

They’ve benches outside the huntsman

Exactly. And people queuing for pints at Monroes. And multiple other places with benches and outdoor seating.

So there's no consistency applied and therefore people just get frustrated and what little respect is left for the rules goes out the window.

TBH I'm not convinced that the authorities even know themselves what the "rules" are. Maybe the HSE should focus on getting cancer screenings up and running again rather than this petty headline-grabbing nonsense. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Exactly. And people queuing for pints at Monroes. And multiple other places with benches and outdoor seating.

So there's no consistency applied and therefore people just get frustrated and what little respect is left for the rules goes out the window.

TBH I'm not convinced that the authorities even know themselves what the "rules" are. Maybe the HSE should focus on getting cancer screenings up and running again rather than this petty headline-grabbing nonsense. Just a thought.

If I were that particular business I'd have ignored I completely considering all the other outlets with similar setups who are doing the same.

They don't realise the damage they are doing to peoples mental health after lock down, people are frustrated and who can blame them and to stop business operating safely is nonsense, that small little café beside McDonalds at the headford road has been open for ages, who can blame people going to the beach and parks in this weather. I don't believe the City Council have a clue what they are doing stopping people going to the beach or walking on the prom. We have become a Nanny State overnight

Tenerife Live
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/playa-de-las-teresitas.html

Santander Live
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/cantabria/santander/playa-del-sardinero.html

Verona Live Restaurants/Bars
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/verona/liston.html

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They don't realise the damage they are doing to peoples mental health after lock down, people are frustrated and who can blame them and to stop business operating safely is nonsense, that small little café beside McDonalds at the headford road has been open for ages, who can blame people going to the beach and parks in this weather. I don't believe the City Council have a clue what they are doing stopping people going to the beach or walking on the prom. We have become a Nanny State overnight

Tenerife Live
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/playa-de-las-teresitas.html

Santander Live
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/cantabria/santander/playa-del-sardinero.html

Honestly what "damage" is being done, its nonsense talk. You cant go to the beach boo fecking hoo. Get over it and realise this is a serious virus. I just read there that the low estimate for excess deaths in Europe for covid is 159,000 people. Think of that when you are being "damaged" by relaxing at home.

I'm flat out busy working from home and looking forward to relaxing at home with plenty of beers over the weekend and BBQ or two, I would have no desire whatsoever to go packed beach especially in the middle of a pandemic.

Honestly what "damage" is being done, its nonsense talk. You cant go to the beach boo fecking hoo. Get over it and realise this is a serious virus. I just read there that the low estimate for excess deaths in Europe for covid is 159,000 people. Think of that when you are being "damaged" by relaxing at home.

I'm flat out busy working from home and looking forward to relaxing at home with plenty of beers over the weekend and BBQ or two, I would have no desire whatsoever to go packed beach especially in the middle of a pandemic.

https://www.tes.com/news/how-will-coronavirus-affect-pupils-mental-health

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-isolation-social-recession-physical-mental-health

:rolleyes: Sure let them eat cake, what's the problem.

Empathy or understanding of other people's circumstances clearly isn't something you possess in spades, that's abundantly evident.

Aren't you extremely fortunate that you have the luxury of sitting in your big back garden and having a BBQ. Life must be great. No health worries. Not worried about a cancelled cancer screening. Not worried about a job loss or multiple job losses within one household, a small business going down the tubes or how the rent/mortgage is going to be paid. Wouldn't it be great if we all were so fortunate. But not everyone is, and your posts smack of wilful arrogance, I'm alright Jack, why can't everyone be like me.

• Advertisement

The prom isn't closed FYI

:rolleyes: Sure let them eat cake, what's the problem.

Empathy or understanding of other people's circumstances clearly isn't something you possess in spades, that's abundantly evident.

Aren't you extremely fortunate that you have the luxury of sitting in your big back garden and having a BBQ. Life must be great. No health worries. Not worried about a cancelled cancer screening. Not worried about a job loss or multiple job losses within one household, a small business going down the tubes or how the rent/mortgage is going to be paid. Wouldn't it be great if we all were so fortunate. But not everyone is, and your posts smack of wilful arrogance, I'm alright Jack, why can't everyone be like me.

Hilarious from someone who wont appreciate the seriousness of the virus that is killing people every day of the week. The wilful arrogance displayed in your posts and protest against very necessary health measures is far worse than anything I have said.

You talk about worried about health, I am worried about the health of people family members in particular who would be very vulnerable to the virus hence why I have such a strong stance on the lock down.

Believe it or not I also want to get back to normal myself as much as anyone, be able to visit family, go to the pub, eat out etc along with seeing all the vital services return like cancelled healthcare etc. But to me the way to return to normal is drive out this virus and that means a longer and stricter lock down, not getting complacent not thinking "we are over the worst" etc. Peoples ignorance and arrogance will slow down our return to normal compared to how I would like to see things done and do more damage in the long run by drawing out the process much longer. It will also kill more people unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Not everyone is in the same situation as you. It doesn't sound like you have been home-schooling kids for almost 3 months and trying to entertain them while doing a day's work. You're obviously not one of the almost 30% of people to lose their job. You obviously have a fine big garden to enjoy the fine weather in.

Not everyone is plagued by the same fear thankfully. 63% of deaths have been in nursing/residential homes that have been treated scandalously by the HSE. About 1/3 of the cases are healthcare workers. Community transmission accounts for 40% of cases. Just shy of 25,000 cases in total. 10 weeks of lockdown and another 10 to go before we're back to some semblance of normality. And no cancer screening still, with the HSE unable to say when it will start again. Yet the curtain twitchers will still give out about people going out for some exercise and trying to go about daily life as much as they are allowed to. Pathetic really.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Not everyone is in the same situation as you. It doesn't sound like you have been home-schooling kids for almost 3 months and trying to entertain them while doing a day's work. You're obviously not one of the almost 30% of people to lose their job. You obviously have a fine big garden to enjoy the fine weather in.

Not everyone is plagued by the same fear thankfully. 63% of deaths have been in nursing/residential homes that have been treated scandalously by the HSE. About 1/3 of the cases are healthcare workers. Community transmission accounts for 40% of cases. Just shy of 25,000 cases in total. 10 weeks of lockdown and another 10 to go before we're back to some semblance of normality. And no cancer screening still, with the HSE unable to say when it will start again. Yet the curtain twitchers will still give out about people going out for some exercise and trying to go about daily life as much as they are allowed to. Pathetic really.

Exactly. But he has his tunnel vision on life and is incredulous that we don't conform to the same thinking. No matter what the subject matter, its always the same tiresome nonsense.

Yeah that guy has been writing some very good articles for the Times in recent weeks. Applying a bit of balance.

I got as far as the first paragraph where he is quite obviously against the very necessary mandatory isolation of people entering the country (which should have been done months ago) and thats enough to know his opinion is to be discounted and no need to read on.

Our borders should not even be open in the first place.

Yeah that guy has been writing some very good articles for the Times in recent weeks. Applying a bit of balance.

He’s very biased

I got as far as the first paragraph where he is quite obviously against the very necessary mandatory isolation of people entering the country (which should have been done months ago) and thats enough to know his opinion is to be discounted and no need to read on.

Our borders should not even be open in the first place.

Oh dear.

I would love to know how you imagine anything like that could be done. Or enforced.

Everyone who has an opinion that differs from yours is to be discounted. Right. Great logic!

Oh dear.

I would love to know how you imagine anything like that could be done. Or enforced.

Everyone who has an opinion that differs from yours is to be discounted. Right. Great logic!

When it's stupid opinion then yes its discounted.

Closing borders and mandatory quarantine have both been implemented in different countries around the word so I don't have to "imagine" anything.

• Advertisement

When it's stupid opinion then yes its discounted.

Closing borders and mandatory quarantine have both been implemented in different countries around the word so I don't have to "imagine" anything.

in other words, you have no idea.

Some load of ****e being talked in the last few hours of posts here.

The prom is open!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think in general the Prom being open is a good thing, the restriction on cars is also good and helps focus on it for locals and those within walking distance.

With the movement now increased to 5km there are loads of spaces in Galway other then the Spanish Arch and the beaches. We have loads of great green spots along the river Corrib, Lough Atalia, Eyre Square, loads of areas in the college & sports ground (are they open to public though?) Its really not hard to find a space that's not busy to relax and abide by the guidelines in Galway if the Prom is too busy at peak times.

Also the other main thread is probably more suitable to discussions on mental health and business's not obeying the law.

Try look at the positives and only 10 days till the next phase which is something to look forward to, even more green spaces, beaches, forests available for recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭what_traffic

buzz11 wrote: »
    Some 'leading by example' parking this morning...

2020-05-29-08-50-52.jpg

2020-05-29-09-24-16.jpg

Such ignorant behaviour from Council. Clueless bunch.

Anyone for a beer, Grazalema Spain

https://www.liveincam.com/en/cam/cadiz-grazalema

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This pandemic is really starting to show how limited our local authority abilitys are. They have been in decline for 40 yrs really.
    What a mess the prom is turning into again, replacing one type of metal with another type seems to be the default solution of this lot.

This pandemic is really starting to show how limited our local authority abilitys are. They have been in decline for 40 yrs really.
    What a mess the prom is turning into again, replacing one type of metal with another type seems to be the default solution of this lot.

Any your advise is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Same people posting pics of council vehicles would be complaining about the state of the prom if the council lads didnt do their essential work in keeping the prom open for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Anyone for a beer, Grazalema Spain

https://www.liveincam.com/en/cam/cadiz-grazalema

Tenerife Live

Santander Live

Plenty of social distancing going on when i clicked on those links. However its just not something we seem to be doing

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0529/1143427-galway-amenities/

Advertisement