Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Plenty of social distancing going on when i clicked on those links. However its just not something we seem to be doing

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0529/1143427-galway-amenities/

Exactly, the cameras at the above locations all show a lack of people or where there are people they're social distancing. Great example of how not to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Exactly, the cameras at the above locations all show a lack of people or where there are people they're social distancing. Great example of how not to make a point.

Actually I was not trying to make any point I was only showing that beaches and bars etc were re-opening in Spain but it shows it can be done especially outdoor.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Actually I was not trying to make any point I was only showing that beaches and bars etc were re-opening in Spain but it shows it can be done especially outdoor.

Of course it can be done, when society shows it can social distance. We clearly are unable to do that as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Anyd your advise is?

Dont park Council Vehicles on the footpaths/prom. Simple
    Close sections of the road to remove the through traffic so as to make wider prom and lessen it as a "destination" for inefficient travels modes + creates more space for social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Dont park Council Vehicles on the footpaths/prom. Simple
    Close sections of the road to remove the through traffic so as to make wider prom and lessen it as a "destination" for inefficient travels modes + creates more space for social distancing.

Ah come on now, give them a chance, they need the vehicles close to their work area and its only for a short time. They have to pick the area of least inconvenience for a short time. They may not always get it right but some perspective is needed here some times.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    in other words, you have no idea.

No idea how to close borders? You make it sound like its a complicated thing. Close all airports to passenger travel will cut most travel in, allow flight carrying citizens only and put them in supervised quarantine for 2 weeks. Close ports to all passenger travel.

Place the army on all main roads into/out of the north and rolling rotation on secondary roads. No crossing the border without strong reasons i.e. healthcare working living north and working south etc. No tourists, no visitors, no one without paper evidence of a vital need to be in the south.

You will have uproar from the Gemma fan club but that alone would demonstrate it's the correct thing to do.

Ah come on now, give them a chance, they need the vehicles close to their work area and its only for a short time. They have to pick the area of least inconvenience for a short time. They may not always get it right but some perspective is needed here some times.

Park on road - get even closer to where they are installing the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No idea how to close borders? You make it sound like its a complicated thing. Close all airports to passenger travel will cut most travel in, allow flight carrying citizens only and put them in supervised quarantine for 2 weeks. Close ports to all passenger travel.

Place the army on all main roads into/out of the north and rolling rotation on secondary roads. No crossing the border without strong reasons i.e. healthcare working living north and working south etc. No tourists, no visitors, no one without paper evidence of a vital need to be in the south.

You will have uproar from the Gemma fan club but that alone would demonstrate it's the correct thing to do.

You want to go back to 1980's Ireland then, an army sitting on the border. Where's my facepalm... it's not going to happen, for a myriad of reasons.

Deluded.

And spare us the "Gemma" stuff.

You want to go back to 1980's Ireland then, an army sitting on the border. Where's my facepalm... it's not going to happen, for a myriad of reasons.

Deluded.

And spare us the "Gemma" stuff.

Do I want to go back to it for political reasons or longer term absolutely no way but as a temporary measure to fight a pandemic yes I do 100%.

This is kind of a North Korea style lockdown that ya want here?
    On a serious note who would ya recommend for the "Kim Jong-un" title to achieve this?

• Advertisement

This is kind of a North Korea style lockdown that ya want here?
    On a serious note who would ya recommend for the "Kim Jong-un" title to achieve this?

Welcome out from under a rock. This has been happening around the world over the last few months in various countries to different degrees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Do I want to go back to it for political reasons or longer term absolutely no way but as a temporary measure to fight a pandemic yes I do 100%.

It wont happen so there is no point bleating about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It wont happen so there is no point bleating about it.

Yep. Nail on head. Unlikely to stop the periodic rants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yep. Nail on head. Unlikely to stop the periodic rants though.

Neither should it.

Noxx has one view of the approach. I don't agree - but I prefer his view to those of the covidiots who think it's all just a massive conspiracy and we should open everything now. And all views are welcome, it's better to discuss than suppress them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The fuzz were out giving every car along threadneedle road a parking ticket this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The fuzz were out giving every car along threadneedle road a parking ticket this morning

Traffic warden 'The fuzz'?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Traffic warden 'The fuzz'?

Nope GardaI

Nope GardaI

Fuzz or Gardai? Careful or you'll offend yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

They ticketed all over the places adjacent to the prom, any car on the footpath or on yellow lines got one it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

A formal request has been submitted to Galway City Council this evening to close off Salthill Prom, Eyre Square and other areas where large crowds can gather, in an effort to combat the spread of Covid-19.

It comes after thousands of people took to the Prom, Silverstrand and other parts of the city today – after concerns had already been raised by Council officials.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/connachttribune.ie/galway-city-council-asked-to-shut-salthill-promenade-and-eyre-square/amp/

T'anam 'un Diabhail, is Silverstrand part of Galway City now?
    in my time there in the 60's it took an expidation with the fortunate few who had a car to get there.

• Advertisement

ainiseoir wrote: »
    in my time there in the 60's it took an expidation with the fortunate few who had a car to get there.

How you finding Cocooning

Spoke to a resident there no one got a parking ticket in fact both sides of the road from the prom to the Tennis Club have cars parked there

ainiseoir wrote: »

Look at the date that was in March

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Spoke to a resident there no one got a parking ticket in fact both sides of the road from the prom to the Tennis Club have cars parked there

And this morning there was tickets on all the cars. Wasn’t the same cars there all day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Sounds like things are Getting a little too much back to normal.... https://www.facebook.com/378605648878408/posts/3899722586766679/

https://twitter.com/hannahlxmx/status/1266795763050438659?s=09

Police brutality in Galway!

Taking drinking teenagers away isn’t brutality go back to pretending to care about the environment

Not sure if it’s news, chat or goes in the prom section. Far too many threads

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Trying to stoke the racial flames is disgusting,shame on that kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I see social distancing is out the window with them, I pity the guards dealing with that ****e today.

Advertisement