Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Couldn't believe the amount of people walking it today! Barriers were up but so many ignoring them.

Did you happen to take a picture?

Further amenity closures

City Council closes Lough Rusheen Park and Ballyloughane beach

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-closes-lough-rusheen-park-and-ballyloughane-beach/

Looks like they are going with the approach that closing the parking will stop people driving to go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Further amenity closures

City Council closes Lough Rusheen Park and Ballyloughane beach

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-closes-lough-rusheen-park-and-ballyloughane-beach/

Looks like they are going with the approach that closing the parking will stop people driving to go for a walk.

I was looking at googlemaps a day or two ago and Ballyloughane beach had a big *closed* icon beside it.

I'm wondering about the people having multiple posts about seeing infractions all the time and yet never being out. Feels like an episode of Medium :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Well Salthill was jammers again today, fair few out swimming along from the dive tower to ladies beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Psychlops wrote: »
    Well Salthill was jammers again today, fair few out swimming along from the dive tower to ladies beach.

Did you take a picture of what "jammers" means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Whatever you are witnessing on the prom for the last month or so, the case numbers for Galway don't suggest that the spread of the virus has been out of control around here. It's been over 2 weeks since the 2km recommendation came in so any cases from before then would have been picked up by now. It's been confirmed tonight that the backlog is clear so the numbers are now up to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Did you take a picture of what "jammers" means?

Why be awkard and pedantic? Everyone knows what the poster means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

flazio wrote: »
    It's been confirmed tonight that the backlog is clear so the numbers are now up to date.

I know 2 people waiting 24 and 25 days and still no results... unless there's a delay between tests completed and results communicated.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I know 2 people waiting 24 and 25 days and still no results... unless there's a delay between tests completed and results communicated.

Tell them to double check their text messages. Had an in-law who missed his result and only spotted it 6 days after it was sent to him. He reckons he must have dismissed the notification

Tell them to double check their text messages. Had an in-law who missed his result and only spotted it 6 days after it was sent to him. He reckons he must have dismissed the notification

One of them last rang yesterday and their results were still pending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

One of them last rang yesterday and their results were still pending.

Didnt they say a few days ago that the backlog was completed. Either way it looks like whatever they had was mild and they didnt need and hospitalisation but it would be nice to know the results

The prom was featured on the RTE News this evening, including an interview with a couple from... Tuam.

https://www.facebook.com/813374252150975/posts/1521101811378212/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The prom was featured on the RTE News this evening, including an interview with a couple from... Tuam.

https://www.facebook.com/813374252150975/posts/1521101811378212/

Saw that. Real Sham accents on them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-and-gardai-to-review-whether-more-stringent-action-is-needed-in-salthill
    The Chief Executive of Galway City Council says the local authority, in conjunction with the Gardai, will need to review whether more stringent action should be taken in Salthill.

It comes following reports that people are continuing to travel more than 2 kilometres from their home to walk along the promenade.
    Groups of people have also been found having picnics on the area’s beaches.

The promenade is currently only open to people who live within 2 kilometres of it – for the purpose of exercising.

How come the Salthill prom is being kept open to local residents (at great effort) yet Barna Woods, Cappagh Park, Merlin Woods etc are closed to local residents in those areas?

Anything to do with most of the current city councillors having the promenade within their 2km...?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do counsellors live within the red area?

2kms from Leisureland
    https://2kmfromhome.com/
    2kms.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

biko wrote: »

2kms from Leisureland
    2kms.png

Some do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some do

Move your map centre to blackrock and you have nearly all knocknacarra within 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

How come the Salthill prom is being kept open to local residents (at great effort) yet Barna Woods, Cappagh Park, Merlin Woods etc are closed to local residents in those areas?

Anything to do with most of the current city councillors having the promenade within their 2km...?

Maybe because it is easier to close those areas off? Mind you the council have gome to great lenghts to block parking on the prom.

Either way I seriously doubt the policy is based on a local councillor wanting to be able to go for a nice walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

saabsaab wrote: »
    Move your map centre to blackrock and you have nearly all knocknacarra within 2k.

Must be 15000 plus people in range of prom 2k radius, Salthill, Claddagh, Knocknacarra, Taylors hill etc it is bound to be busy.

• Advertisement

2kms from Leisureland
    2kms.png

From the 16 listed here, I count 9 that have the prom (or part of) within their 2km...
    Sconsey wrote: »
    Maybe because it is easier to close those areas off? Mind you the council have gome to great lenghts to block parking on the prom.

The prom would be easy to close, barriers perpendicular to the path every 20m... requires less barriers than the current setup. Anyone ignoring it would be much more visible than woods, parks... easier to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

2kms from Leisureland
    2kms.png

Why just focus on Cllrs? Should focus here not actually be on the actual decision makers - the Executive of Galway City.

The Chief Executive of Galway City Council would need to add a few NOUGHTS though to that URL (2kmfromhome.com) to be "living" within the red area.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

brutes1 wrote: »
    Must be 15000 plus people in range of prom 2k radius, Salthill, Claddagh, Knocknacarra, Taylors hill etc it is bound to be busy.

Parts of Rahoon + Shantalla as well are in 2km zone. Great tool that "2kmfromhome.com"

From the 16 listed here, I count 9 that have the prom (or part of) within their 2km...

And of the 2 seats waiting to be filled, one was within the catchment. 10/18

Sconsey wrote: »

Either way I seriously doubt the policy is based on a local councillor wanting to be able to go for a nice walk.

By all accounts exactly the same approach is being taken with Barna woods (from a friend who I spoke to yesterday). Locals are walking there every day. They've taken steps to block entrances but locals seem to be grand and not being told to go.

If people are social distancing, what is the problem with them sitting for a few mins? I saw a couple down on the rocks obviously gone for a walk and having a takeaway coffee. Not being funny, but how is this dangerous if it is quiet down there? This is a very different thing from the gang of lads having a buckie fest with speakers etc another time. But they will chance this anywhere, no matter legal or not.

inisboffin wrote: »
    By all accounts exactly the same approach is being taken with Barna woods (from a friend who I spoke to yesterday). Locals are walking there every day. They've taken steps to block entrances but locals seem to be grand and not being told to go.

You see this is what's irritating me. Barna Woods is meant to be closed for all. They have even put closed signs at small pedestrian-only entrances that have no car parking.

As you say a lot of locals are now using the woods, walking past the closed signs. We would love to be using the woods too but we're sticking to the guidelines, like schmucks. :( Feels like we've lost that community solidarity where everyone was putting up with the same restrictions. Same applies to Silver Strand.

I would much prefer a locals-only policy and block off all parking. Just like the locals in Salthill have been afforded. These closures are City Council policies, going beyond the government guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If people are social distancing, what is the problem with them sitting for a few mins? I saw a couple down on the rocks obviously gone for a walk and having a takeaway coffee. Not being funny, but how is this dangerous if it is quiet down there? This is a very different thing from the gang of lads having a buckie fest with speakers etc another time. But they will chance this anywhere, no matter legal or not.

I understand what you're saying... but other people will see Tom & Mary sitting on the rocks having a takeaway coffee and decide that they will do the same. A few days later then there will be more people sitting on the rocks or walking the prom. Then social distancing becomes very tricky. So either you need Gardai to limit numbers on the prom (which would be silly) or they just close the prom entirely.

I understand what you're saying... but other people will see Tom & Mary sitting on the rocks having a takeaway coffee and decide that they will do the same. A few days later then there will be more people sitting on the rocks or walking the prom. Then social distancing becomes very tricky. So either you need Gardai to limit numbers on the prom (which would be silly) or they just close the prom entirely.

I wish we all had some cop on. Tom and Mary just looked they got off work and were having a 5 min break. There was nobody around them for a good bit.
    To me it's common sense to stay away from busy areas (walk elsewhere) or walk when it's very quiet early morning or late night. I would have stopped myself mid walk the other night and watch a bit of the sunset, but chose not to as there was a group nearby. I walked down further and stopped for a few mins and not a soul passed me (past Grattan beach)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

I wish we all had some cop on. Tom and Mary just looked they got off work and were having a 5 min break. There was nobody around them for a good bit.
    To me it's common sense to stay away from busy areas (walk elsewhere) or walk when it's very quiet early morning or late night. I would have stopped myself mid walk the other night and watch a bit of the sunset, but chose not to as there was a group nearby. I walked down further and stopped for a few mins and not a soul passed me (past Grattan beach)

Yes common sense approach and very lacking these days. People have way too much time on their hands. Time for the country to get back to work and school + the health services to manage those ill or at risk. Government needs to show some leadership on the future as opposed to just threatening people with more restriction.

Advertisement