Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Make it a one way system. Use the unused car lane for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

saabsaab wrote: »
    Make it a one way system. Use the unused car lane for cycling.

Where is the unused car lane in Salthill

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Where is the unused car lane in Salthill

There isn't one but you could have it if it was just one-way.

Sandymount Dun Laoghaire is looking at such a system. Gaining support there too.

We could start getting a bit of balance by installing Coke rental bikes adjacent to the car park. The scheme is a joke how central most of the bikes are. I suppose it would put the rest of the poor cycling infrastructure into focus. So if they're seen as endorsing cyclists from outer boroughs to cycle in to the centre and then someone gets knocked down maybe they feel doing nothing is better than being culpable?

As for the prom I walk there, cycle there, and park there especially with the family. So I don't want to see parking removed but I'm all for a cycle lane where the current seaside footpath is. It would certainly be more relaxing to cycle in a designated, respected space.

Agreed, you'd probably want a few stations to bridge the distance. Isolated stations are risky as someone could travel out and find no spaces or the station offline. Something like;
    - Near Grattan Beach (space on the turn there)
    - Salthill Village
    - Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sandymount Dun Laoghaire is looking at such a system. Gaining support there too.

What roafs do you think that the returning traffic could travel along?

• Advertisement

What roafs do you think that the returning traffic could travel along?

The R337 no other returns make it simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The road along the Prom is really really wide, unlike the Strand Road in Sandymount. Can easily maintain 2-way vehicular access along the prom, use the City/Salthill side of road for car parking and the prom side that is currently used for car parking as a 2-way cycle path.

Yeah thankfully a one-way system isn't needed for Salthill. Also with a two-way coastal greenway you don't have all the junctions to design for.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Yeah thankfully a one-way system isn't needed for Salthill. Also with a two-way coastal greenway you don't have all the junctions to design for.

The stretch from Claddagh Quay along Grattan Road to the R336 junction is very narrow though. I don't see how you'd fit a safe cycle lane there.

Space Dog wrote: »
    The stretch from Claddagh Quay along Grattan Road to the R336 junction is very narrow though. I don't see how you'd fit a safe cycle lane there.

The Council's draft plan for that is to use the existing cycle lane across the South Park. Then significantly widen the footpath along Grattan Road to make a shared pedestrian/cycle space (like back of golf course but wider). At Grattan Beach, where there's no space to widen outwards, they'd remove the footpath at other side and widen the coastal side - moving the road a bit back from the coast.

The alternative to avoid the widened shared space for this stretch would probably be some form of one-way loop around part of the Claddagh and use one of the lanes.

• Advertisement

The council are going to close the closed car parks just to be sure to be sure.

https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1369578855980208135?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The council are going to close the closed car parks just to be sure to be sure.

https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1369578855980208135?s=19

You have to laugh at that do they not realise they barricaded them closed months ago. Only in Galway 🀣🀣

Wait why are you guys in favour of taking away one of the few free places to park again? Is that seriously what Salthill needs in the long term once we're past the pandemic?

Unbelievable really.

And nonsense suggestions that the money would be ring fenced.

I suppose it would be similar to a toll bridge that lasts a set amount of years, which always continues since said councils cant give up the revenue stream.
    People are very gullible if they think that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would be interested to hear from sceptics to cycling infrastructure in Salthill on this...

Segregated cycling through Salthill would (IMO) create a great safe route connecting residential areas with Galway City and also Salthill.

Given a fixed width to allow for pedestrians, on-street parking and all the traffic lanes. What % do you think would be fair and appropriate to be dedicated to segregated cycling infrastructure?

Remove some of the parking on the prom side of the road. Use that space and some of the footpath space for segregated cycling lanes.

Provide car parking on the other side of the road.

Provide regularly spaced zebra crossings along the prom directing cars and bicycles in the cycle lane to stop for pedestrian.

That's exactly what's being requested by the cycling groups! It makes lots of sense. Glad there's common ground.

That's exactly what's being requested by the cycling groups! It makes lots of sense. Glad there's common ground.

I've not seen any of those propose that parking for cars be provided on the other side of the road, but if that is the case, then that's great. The cycling groups in general tend to want to suit themselves to the detriment of other roads users, so if they're changing their approach, that's to be welcomed and they'll get far more support.

The beauty of removing all the car parking along the Prom side - is that would have a Sea view when driving or cycling beside the Prom as well.
    Would imagine that would appeal to some posters here like ?Cee?view! :D

The beauty of removing all the car parking along the Prom side - is that would have a Sea view when driving or cycling beside the Prom as well.

Nice One :D

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The cycling groups in general tend to want to suit themselves to the detriment of other roads users, so if they're changing their approach, that's to be welcomed and they'll get far more support.

I think what they want is a better balance, sometimes that means other modes giving up some space to achieve a better share of limited space.

See here;

https://twitter.com/GalwayUrban/status/1369377553706803202?s=19

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1356374880808292353?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think it should be the other way around: put the cycle lane on the opposite side, and the parking on the sea side.

Rationale: many people drive elderly relatives sho aren't that mobile there to look at the sea. If they get out of the vehicle at all, it takes space. Some just look. Seaside parking facilitates this.

Whereas the vast majority of two -wheelers / bicycles are single occupancy, so their drivers shouldn't be looking anywhere but the road, ie they aren't going to see the view. And having them on the other side reduced their interaction with pedestrians.

• Advertisement

I think what they want is a better balance, sometimes that means other modes giving up some space to achieve a better share of limited space.

See here;

https://twitter.com/GalwayUrban/status/1369377553706803202?s=19

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1356374880808292353?s=19

Agreed, that looks great, but then some idiot responds to them:

"Coastal cycleway please but leave out the parking. No need for parking if we can cycle safely" - if the Groups can move away from this mé féiner attitude, they will succeed. Unfortunately I think there are still a lot of selfish people such as this guy who only think of themslves as cyclists/drivers/pedestrians/ whatever, and don't care a whit about others whose circumstances are different.

Rationale: many people drive elderly relatives sho aren't that mobile there to look at the sea. If they get out of the vehicle at all, it takes space. Some just look. Seaside parking facilitates this.

Thats what the car park on the prom (Upper Salthill Road) should be used for. It would be facilitating these users comfortably.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Agreed, that looks great, but then some idiot responds to them:

"Coastal cycleway please but leave out the parking. No need for parking if we can cycle safely" - if the Groups can move away from this mé féiner attitude, they will succeed. Unfortunately I think there are still a lot of selfish people such as this guy who only think of themslves as cyclists/drivers/pedestrians/ whatever, and don't care a whit about others whose circumstances are different.

I think you get an element with that attitude on all sides unfortunately.

From engineering viewpoint it is far far easier on the seaside to provide a two way cycle path- no junctions to negotiate along the route.
    No crossing of vehicular traffic occurs on the 2-way cycle path itself on the Prom side.
    From a "safety viewpoint" it makes far more sense as well.
    From South Park to Blackrock - I count 19 junctions.
    As a car driver would prefer this option, the car traffic snarl ups of having to cross a 2-way cycle path could be immense along a short route that has 19 junctions.

I think it should be the other way around: put the cycle lane on the opposite side, and the parking on the sea side.

Whereas the vast majority of two -wheelers / bicycles are single occupancy, so their drivers shouldn't be looking anywhere but the road, ie they aren't going to see the view. And having them on the other side reduced their interaction with pedestrians.
    There would be a dozen or so car entrances or junctions between the roundabouts on the prom to put this on the land side.

What proportion of parked cars might have people out for a look? It really would be a very specific demographic to prioritise. How would you balance that against say me and my family out for a drive having our view blocked by potentially occupied parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The infrastructure for the whole amenity is completely lacking.

Blackrock is a potential gold mine for Galway. There is no parking there and public transport options are pathetic.

So much potential for small coffee shops and pop ups but no options down at the end of the prom at all. Not saying it should become overrun by commercial businesses but there should be small local food and drink options there for tourists.

City council really need to get their act together.

The prom has gone green for the next few days...

https://twitter.com/ZhangChaosheng/status/1370878735319236613?s=19

https://twitter.com/GalwayPlayer/status/1370826023479181319?s=19

Anyone know are those new prom lights some type of RGB LED or did they just put a filter over them?

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    The infrastructure for the whole amenity is completely lacking.

Blackrock is a potential gold mine for Galway. There is no parking there and public transport options are pathetic.

So much potential for small coffee shops and pop ups but no options down at the end of the prom at all. Not saying it should become overrun by commercial businesses but there should be small local food and drink options there for tourists.

City council really need to get their act together.

It been let run down over many years. Let them look at Lahinch to see how it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

It been let run down over many years. Let them look at Lahinch to see how it could be done.

Is there such thing as a strategic plan for the city? What it's supposed to look like in 20 or 50 years time?

I feel the city as a whole is only reaching a fraction of its potential due to poor infrastructure. City Council are holding it back big time.

• Advertisement

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a strategic plan for the city? What it's supposed to look like in 20 or 50 years time?

I don't know if there's a long-term plan but a public consultation on the Galway City Development Plan 2023-2029 ended last week.

Advertisement