Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

brutes1 wrote: »
    ...Time for the country to get back to work and school + the health services to manage those ill or at risk. Government needs to show some leadership on the future as opposed to just threatening people with more restriction.

In other words, I'm all right Jack and to hell with everyone else. Lovely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

?Cee?view wrote: »
    In other words, I'm all right Jack and to hell with everyone else. Lovely.

There seems to be a lot more people with this attitude coming out of the woodwork lately, there's a serious case of complacency setting in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot more people with this attitude coming out of the woodwork lately, there's a serious case of complacency setting in.

I would say people need to get back on with their lives. It's time now . Can't keep people and kids on lockdown need a future. Let those ill or at risk be cared by the health services and those who wish to cocoon do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

youngrun wrote: »
    I would say people need to get back on with their lives. It's time now . Can't keep people and kids on lockdown need a future. Let those ill or at risk be cared by the health services and those who wish to cocoon do so.

And if the health services become over loaded, what's your suggestion then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Re read what you wrote youngrun

Saying “let people back to their lives” and “let ill....wish to cocoon....” is by definition completely contradicting yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think a lot of people are getting frustrated with mixed messages. A friend's Mother is cocooning in another city and gets HSE help each week. The carer doesn't wear a mask nor gloves nor social distance. That might change this week but the carer is telling the woman that 'she's grand' and her son isn't visiting because he's afraid. NOT the case.

People are asking Gardai about walking (on the prom, in the woods etc) and are being told it's ok for locals, yet on here it's much debated and signs are misleading.

The wearing of cloth masks, the spraying of trollies in Galway. No real consistency shop to shop either.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

And if the health services become over loaded, what's your suggestion then?

Ah its grand, in that case if you're over 65, or a smoker, or just less likely to be able to fight off the infection then you're left to draw your last slow and agonising breath alone, unable to be seen by or even see your family and loved ones before you die, while the previous respirators are prioritised for those with the best chance of survival, all because some lovely people needed to go for a walk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are getting frustrated with mixed messages.

Agreed. It's very simple. People need a roadmap with specific metrics that they can visualise and target. For example...'if the R0 gets below 0.5, we will relax <insert restriction>'. The simplistic 'flatten the curve' mantra has run it's course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Why did nobody think of this plan before? Let the ill people be cared for by the health service! Brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I would say people need to get back on with their lives. It's time now . Can't keep people and kids on lockdown need a future.
    Yeah, can't have the kids missing their summer holidays just to save older people's lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Ficheall wrote: »
    Yeah, can't have the kids missing their summer holidays just to save older people's lives.

Don't forget children have died as well in fact all ages are at risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Don't forget children have died as well in fact all ages are at risk

Do you have a source for this? A quick Google search just told me that the youngest to die of Covid-19 in Ireland were two people in their mid 20s. Reported by multiple sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Do you have a source for this? A quick Google search just told me that the youngest to die of Covid-19 in Ireland were two people in their mid 20s. Reported by multiple sources.
    He means worldwide. Covid doesn't put on a green age discriminatory jersey on crossing borders

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about the prom.
    There is a a news thread and a general chat thread.
    Do not use this thread with discussion other than the prom.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Have they fined anyone on the Galway prom yet?

saabsaab wrote: »

Do you mean for walking? There are guards often there, checking cars headed out the road. They are chatting away to locals and don't mind walkers it seems. That's my point about mixed messages.
    I sometimes walk by there on the road side too, or sometimes cycle and never been stopped on the bike so far (the road side isn't closed but they are questioning where people are going. I did see them stop a lad on a road bike but he was let on immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Do you mean for walking? There are guards often there, checking cars headed out the road. They are chatting away to locals and don't mind walkers it seems. That's my point about mixed messages.
    I sometimes walk by there on the road side too, or sometimes cycle and never been stopped on the bike so far (the road side isn't closed but they are questioning where people are going. I did see them stop a lad on a road bike but he was let on immediately.

For anything? I suppose anyone found outside the 2k driving there to walk etc.

For anything? I suppose anyone found outside the 2k driving there to walk etc.

I'm within the 2k for exercise for the Prom, but I think a big part of it is that many 'Prom regulars' are not. I would say it's hard to know if someone is just outside 2k and taking a walk down, but easier to spot someone in a car. The checkpoint is also for, I'd say, people trying to sneak out to holiday homes, as it's one of the access roads to South Connemara. I haven't heard of any arrests either way though. I do know of someone who was stopped (a walker) and gave her Mother's address (as she'd just been there dropping groceries). She was 3k and her Mother 1 k. So there's the bendy bit.

Prom needs to be totally shut down prior to the weekend, no walking by anyone no swimming either since the black rock swimmers are too ignorant to stay at home and just swim up further along the beach instead.

I’d fine every one of them, would wipe away their smug attitude fairly fast.

Prom needs to be totally shut down prior to the weekend, no walking by anyone no swimming either since the black rock swimmers are too ignorant to stay at home and just swim up further along the beach instead.

It's either open or it's closed. It's either illegal or it's not. I don't think you can be telling the Blackrock swimmers that they are ignorant and be fining them if they aren't breaking any rules. It's the people that are unsafe I take issue with, and the people that can't seem to social distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

A friend of my wife's has a sister who was fined. She apparently had driven to the prom to run there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Something tells me you'd fine them even before Covid19 came along just for being too smug. Would they not let you into their circle? ;)

A friend of my wife's has a sister who was fined. She apparently had driven to the prom to run there.

Do you know if she was warned first and then broke it again?

I do know of someone who drives down (from about 3k) and was stopped twice. No fine. She's stopped now (or at least has stopped owning up to it/parking near the prom!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

And rightly so

Something tells me you'd fine them even before Covid19 came along just for being too smug. Would they not let you into their circle? ;)

Trust me the last place you will ever find me is salthill at 6am, I’m turning over in bed for another 2 or 3 hours sleep.

Trust me the last place you will ever find me is salthill at 6am, I’m turning over in bed for another 2 or 3 hours sleep.

The 6 am Club is very hard to get in to in fairness. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

She apparently had driven to the prom to run there.

Even before the lockdown I've always found this a bit weird, driving to go for a run instead of running without the need for driving :confused:

Even before the lockdown I've always found this a bit weird, driving to go for a run instead of running without the need for driving :confused:

In fairness it’s not unusual and makes sense too imo. She probably wants to run a certain distance and to do it along the prom rather than running there and back which might be further than she actually wants to run if say she is running 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

People are asking Gardai about walking (on the prom, in the woods etc) and are being told it's ok for locals, yet on here it's much debated and signs are misleading.

I contacted the council today to try get some clarity. Asked if all the amenities are closed but the prom is accessible to locals, are the other facilities open to locals in those areas, used Barna Woods as my local example.

The response...

"Yes, if a person resides within 2km of these facilities, they can access same while ensuring social distancing and all other HSE advice e.g. in the company of the same household, etc."

"The parking areas of these facilities are closed so as to prevent those who do not reside within the 2km limit from driving to these locations."

So the are accessible to locals after all! I then checked that that includes Silver Strand... it doesn't.

"Silverstrand is fully closed – to the best of my knowledge both the roadway and pedestrian access to this beach have relevant signage up with barriers."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I contacted the council today to try get some clarity. Asked if all the amenities are closed but the prom is accessible to locals, are the other facilities open to locals in those areas, used Barna Woods as my local example.

The response...

"Yes, if a person resides within 2km of these facilities, they can access same while ensuring social distancing and all other HSE advice e.g. in the company of the same household, etc."

"The parking areas of these facilities are closed so as to prevent those who do not reside within the 2km limit from driving to these locations."

So the are accessible to locals after all! I then checked that that includes Silver Strand... it doesn't.

"Silverstrand is fully closed – to the best of my knowledge both the roadway and pedestrian access to this beach have relevant signage up with barriers."

Looks like it's going to be increased to 5km on Friday according to the news

Advertisement