Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I contacted the council today to try get some clarity. Asked if all the amenities are closed but the prom is accessible to locals, are the other facilities open to locals in those areas, used Barna Woods as my local example.

The response...

"Yes, if a person resides within 2km of these facilities, they can access same while ensuring social distancing and all other HSE advice e.g. in the company of the same household, etc."

"The parking areas of these facilities are closed so as to prevent those who do not reside within the 2km limit from driving to these locations."

So the are accessible to locals after all! I then checked that that includes Silver Strand... it doesn't.

"Silverstrand is fully closed – to the best of my knowledge both the roadway and pedestrian access to this beach have relevant signage up with barriers."

Thanks for asking them. And also completely conflicting info to what a friend got about Silverstrand "open to pedestrians only, while maintaining social distancing. No motor vehicles"!
    I've a friend who walks the prom but is closer to SS so she asked.

Did they say anything specifically about Barna Woods? Edit* Never mind I re-read it and it seems to be ok for BW according to what they told you.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be increased to 5km on Friday according to the news

Got a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Got a source for that?

It was on breaking news today it's one of the things they are looking at, copy the link don't know why I can't get it to work Correctly

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/which-restrictions-if-any-will-be-eased-996532.html

It was on breaking news today it's one of the things they are looking at, copy the link don't know why I can't get it to work Correctly

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/which-restrictions-if-any-will-be-eased-996532.html

Ah ok, so it's basically an article saying which things might happen come May 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ah ok, so it's basically an article saying which things might happen come May 5th.

I just spotted a bit more in the Irish Times free online section just there. A lot of words about a potential resumption plan, but nothing with definite dates, and still seems to impress no lifting of restrictions after this weekend.

• Advertisement

There definitely will not be a full lifting of the restrictions.

I posted back on the 14-Apr, the following
    In my opinion, in order to return to normality, the following will be needed:
    - A max of a 24 hr turnaround for test results. Same-day would be better.
    - Wide scale testing where clustering is difficult or unavoidable e.g. schools
    - Masks to become a requirement
    - Social distancing remains
    - Large scale events still on hold
    - A general acceptance among the population that in order to return to normality, some people are going to die who otherwise would not have if we remained in lockdown.

According to the briefings, we are still not there with testing. Until that happens the restrictions will remain.

As for modified restrictions, well, that's anyones guess. The papers are having great fun using ink to guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

inisboffin wrote: »
    Do you know if she was warned first and then broke it again?

No idea I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Great news if true but that will drive people completely nuts on this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Great news if true but that will drive people completely nuts on this thread ;)

No only those driving to the prom for a walk are doing that at the min. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bunch of non-prom posts moved to the news thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Spot on Storm 10. The prom will be busy ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Spot on Storm 10. The prom will be busy ;)

will they leave the barriers up andDeter parking. Now would be a good time for the CC to stick up some parking metors

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Salthill will be within my zone from Tuesday. While I'll be happy to have a stroll around the village and see what's going on, there's no way I'm gonna be walking the footpath beside the sea. Can just imagine what mayhem it will be.

Personally I want the council to being in a left (or right, I don't mine) side of the road rule for pedestrians on all streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Personally I want the council to being in a left (or right, I don't mine) side of the road rule for pedestrians on all streets.

Please no. We often cross the road when there are faster pedestrians coming up from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think the road should be closed as if there's a storm coming in. That way you have enough room on the road to accommodate social distance for the increased catchment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Please no. We often cross the road when there are faster pedestrians coming up from behind.

How do you see that happening on Shop St, for example?

If people want to overtake you, its them who should be finding a safe place to do so.

Shop Street is a free for all, shop entrances at either side... you can't expect to enforce a laminar flow of pedestrians all walking at the same pace!
    If people want to overtake you, its them who should be finding a safe place to do so.

Should be, but often don't so would rather look after my own social distancing thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭martin6651

With the sea coming within my 5K range next Tue. will I have a problem going for a swim.

No but note the RNLI and Coast Guard have asked people not to use the sea for recreation at the moment.

Prom in Salthill will be fully reopened from Monday, as long as social distancing guidelines are respected
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-city-council-launches-roadmap-for-reopening-of-society-and-business/

• Advertisement

Presumably that means the removal of the cones and barriers blocking parking?
    The carpark at Silver Strand will open on Monday, while carparks at other beaches will remain closed until at least June 8th, when they are earmarked to reopen subject to Garda advice.

Anyone know if the council carparks opposite the Salthill Omniplex and beside the Aquarium are opening today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Presumably that means the removal of the cones and barriers blocking parking?

Anyone know if the council carparks opposite the Salthill Omniplex and beside the Aquarium are opening today?

From the other thread

The carpark at Silver Strand will open on Monday, while carparks at other beaches will remain closed until at least June 8th, when they are earmarked to reopen subject to Garda advice.

^ I had all that in my post that you replied to! :p

My question about those two carparks is do they fall under beach car parks or Salthill village / prom walkway carparks?

It's not clear from the article. I guess you'll find out if you drive down and check (let us know) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Any measures introduced to help with Social Distancing down on the Prom since travel limit was extended from 2 - 5km?

Its clear that who ever came up with this bonkers of an idea have never seen the Tower, you can walk onto the Tower on the left side and get off on the right side
    they must think you can only walk on the middle lane.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0520/1139505-salthill-dive-platform/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Its clear that who ever came up with this bonkers of an idea have never seen the Tower, you can walk onto the Tower on the left side and get off on the right side
    they must think you can only walk on the middle lane.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0520/1139505-salthill-dive-platform/

I saw that. I think they mean for the diving board right - so take the centre lane for that one way only vs the right or left ledges for a low jump? Also what happens to the poor kid with nerves up top? Do they get pushed now?

We are giving out here about a few people on the beach and the Prom during the fine weather, take a look at Bournemouth in the UK today. Picture taken from Sky News ,

https://storify.com/services/proxy/2/BI1Ll1pPY6rq9ZYNAe8tgg/https/media.fyre.co/jLEEbOsOQNGQ6CUN58FQ_bournemouth%202.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

Any measures introduced to help with Social Distancing down on the Prom since travel limit was extended from 2 - 5km?

I doubt it somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Reinforcing that pedestrians should walk on right. Being ignored though.

Advertisement