Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    If you can grow one,go for it!

How disappointed were you with the announcement earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

How disappointed were you with the announcement earlier?

What announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

MarkY91 wrote: »
    So you're saying that it's as dangerous to go to the city centre as it is to Portugal?
    Maybe if you're teleporting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    What announcement?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

Just saying. The Euro to Pound exchange rate is above 90p per Euro again.

At the very least it is a good time to buy random BS on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just saying. The Euro to Pound exchange rate is above 90p per Euro again.

At the very least it is a good time to buy random BS on Amazon.

Or a car. I'd hold tight its going down like the titanic right now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just home from work in a bar. Disgusted and upset. Place was busy and people were getting messy. Had to tell numerous people to take their hands off me when ordering. Supposed to do it all again tomorrow. I really hope the govt steps in and closes the pubs. F the money. Also dunno if it was mentioned but dicey edit - (gardens sorry)post on facebook doing a deal on corona while people lie in icu wards across the world was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Me , Brother and Mother bunked down, on self imposed lock down. No kids, but Mother is 66 with high blood pressure.
    We are

The three of us will go outside for short dog walk locally only,no other direct social contact.
    Mostly stay indoors, try get online delivery

I am aware that if any one of the three of us get it, we all get it so with my Mums age/ underlying , we are being ultra careful.

I'm 45 and no known underlying conditions. When I go out, apologies, I consider everyone / every contact surface a possible threat presently, until the next few weeks pan out and we get more of a technical handle of this thing, what to do like , and what is the medium term lock down plan, the family will maintain this stance.

A lock down of some sorts absolutely needs to happen, I have no idea for how long. I'm 100% behind the Army , if they help out, because that's exactly what they will be doing.

The medical staff are bloody heroes frankly , and we need to recognize them big-time some how, when normality returns somewhat.

Insane that Pubs are open and busy , shut them down, drink on your couch, its a bloody tiny sacrifice considering the stakes.
    The Vintners association will be remembered and called out for this one day if this goes on. No more pressure groups undermining public interest for in the interest of profit. Those days are over for now lads.

Lives before economic consideration at this point nothing else matters

Leo is a disgrace for not being here and absolutely should be isolated on return, the Man is not required anymore at this point anyway, seriously.

God Speed all and a big thanks to some amazing posters here.

With you 1000% well said. Leo is just... a prick quite frankly, useless false as fûck prick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

nthclare wrote: »
    I totally understand that, you have a valid point.
    But at least the high fevers will be detected and tested quickly enough.

What point of the spaan from zero symptoms to high temperature I wonder is the highest viral load present

From beginning of symptoms to first 2 to 3 days are the most infectious the research is saying now. It reduces at about 8 to 10 days but some can still be infectious although less so after that. I'll try to find the links to the research and post tomorrow
    But people may not have symptoms and be infectious , which is not what was thought originally. So containment is impossible in that case, if going by symptoms .
    Also not everyone presents with a high temp, so there again screening falls down.
    As far as I can see the only way this could have been prevented was to quarantine everyone flying or travelling into the country for at least 14 days , from around beginning of February , but who knew !

Remember when that was suggested by some of us a few weeks ago on one of the earlier threads and was laughed out of it by so many . What about tourism and the economy? Well didn't save tourism and the economy but more stringent travel restrictions and testing of those quarantined might have reduced our numbers infected .
    This is what Sam McConkey has been saying for the last while..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Just home from work in a bar. Disgusted and upset. Place was busy and people were getting messy. Had to tell numerous people to take their hands off me when ordering. Supposed to do it all again tomorrow. I really hope the govt steps in and closes the pubs. F the money. Also dunno if it was mentioned but dicey rileys post on facebook doing a deal on corona while people lie in icu wards across the world was horrible.

I wasn't out tonight, and have been in pubs where its hopping and the barmen are flat out,,,considering that and the obvious elephant in the room, did at least some of the drinkers tip you? Its poor form if they didn't, even if its pennies, sentiment etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just home from work in a bar. Disgusted and upset. Place was busy and people were getting messy. Had to tell numerous people to take their hands off me when ordering. Supposed to do it all again tomorrow. I really hope the govt steps in and closes the pubs. F the money. Also dunno if it was mentioned but dicey rileys post on facebook doing a deal on corona while people lie in icu wards across the world was horrible.

Dont know who the reporter was tonight who said to the HSE guy about closing nightclubs and bars because they wont be able to deal with social distancing because with loud music people will be leaning right in to be heard when talking. That should be shouting and when you shout you spray more spittle.
    The HSE guy just said that up to people to ake their own mind up. I pity shop workers and people that have to deal with the public because there will always be ignorant and inconsiderate ****es out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Just home from work in a bar. Disgusted and upset. Place was busy and people were getting messy. Had to tell numerous people to take their hands off me when ordering. Supposed to do it all again tomorrow. I really hope the govt steps in and closes the pubs. F the money. Also dunno if it was mentioned but dicey edit - (gardens sorry)post on facebook doing a deal on corona while people lie in icu wards across the world was horrible.

That’s absolutely despicable and in extremely poor taste, I’ve never heard of something so insensitive and tactless.

Hopefully the government will insist on closures sooner rather than later. I really feel for you and anyone working with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I wasn't out tonight, and have been in pubs where its hopping and the barmen are flat out,,,considering that and the obvious elephant in the room, did at least some of the drinkers tip you? Its poor form if they didn't, even if its pennies, sentiment etc.

One or two did but honestly I'd rather they stayed at home.
    spookwoman wrote: »
    Dont know who the reporter was tonight who said to the HSE guy about closing nightclubs and bars because they wont be able to deal with social distancing because with loud music people will be leaning right in to be heard when talking. That should be shouting and when you shout you spray more spittle.
    The HSE guy just said that up to people to ake their own mind up. I pity shop workers and people that have to deal with the public because there will always be ignorant and inconsiderate ****es out there.

The public have already shown they can't be trusted on this. Too many people think they are invincible.

Oh and as Diceys Garden took it down here's their offensive post:

https://postimg.cc/ZBx9rrPC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Ursabear wrote: »
    Here is an interesting article not sure of the repute of the sources: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-most-contagious-before-during-first-week-symptoms

Note, not yet peer reviewed.

Anyway:-
    But a new study of nine people who contracted the virus in Germany suggests that people are mainly contagious before they have symptoms and in the first week of the disease

How conclusive can that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Seems like its up to individual businesses if they close or not. There are lots of pubs and nightclubs that have decided to close for the foreseeable future. Its not really the governments call at this point in time. Best thing to do is speak to your manager about taking leave. That at least should be an option available to workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Earlier in the month I thought my concerns were a bit" self hysteriacentric "- I told no one, other than looking for medical advice through my gp 2 weeks ago and via the HSE helpline today . I was assured all was fine, today - 2 hours after ringing the HSE Helpline for the first time and being told to self isolate , the protocol has changed again.
    I am immuno compromised after a bone marrow transplant 2 years ago. I also have 2 young daughters - one was on a ski holiday in Italy mid Feb, the other was quarantined for a week prior to yesterdays announcement as her class had come in to contact with a confirmed case.
    The eldest daughter was running a temp over 2 weeks ago, I have had cold symptoms but heavier - not flu symptoms, since 3rd March. Dry cough, shortness of breath, upper throat cough until I want to retch.
    Maybe I have a simple cold. I hope so.
    But the HSE have not been concerned about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

That is awful, I feel terrible for people who are dealing face to face with the public at the moment , very tough I imagine worrying when drunk ppl are handing them money .

I remember hearing an interview early in the week with an Italian lady who was saying in Italy no one is allowed sit at the bar to protect the staff and also ppl were sitting with an empty table between them . I think pubs are closed there now altogether .

I hope your ok and not too stressed and anxious .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Aww but... Experts

TC ..Irish government is doing as advised by ECDC and WHO
    It is UK and some British scientists who are going against the rest of Europe , as is their right, of course, but their logic is coming from a very different perspective than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ficheall wrote: »

F*ck that put me on an island with no one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Boards, I need some advice. I moved back home to care for my Mother who needs constant attention. My Father also has health conditions but is a very mobile person (perhaps to his lack of discernment) thinks he can run around everywhere like a rabbit on speed... but I can handle all that and keep him in if sh1t hits the fan. My problem is I have a sibling who moved back in recently who fair play holds down a job but would be the likeliest to bring this sh1t Virus in. My sibling obviously has no plan B or money for a rainy day. Would it be way too early for suggesting trying to find a different digs if possible or me even paying for a hotel room (for as long as I can) so my parents aren’t compromised? My parents are definitely red flag material when it comes to this Virus but don’t want to come across hasty with a sibling I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    GM228 wrote: »
    Johns Hopkins, more accurate and updated more regularly.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    No it's not. Australia has 199 cases not 1.

Data for some countries seems to go missing when being updated, it's currently showing 1 for the Northern Territory only, not Australia as a whole which according to the WHO is 189 as of 10AM on the 13th.

Their data is taken directly from the WHO, the reason for the differences is because the WHO report the new cases on a 24 hr basis between 10AM on one day and 09.59 AM the next, whereas JH reports them on a calendar day basis.

As I suspected, following latest update Australia has returned to a 199 reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bill Gates - the next epidemic, We're not ready.
    From 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Closing the schools ain't worth **** unless the pubs are closed. Optics. God forbid upset the VFI. Everything except food outlets and pharmacies should be closed now. All non essential business close.

Short term loss, long term gain. Are our heads really this short sighted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Earlier in the month I thought my concerns were a bit" self hysteriacentric "- I told no one, other than looking for medical advice through my gp 2 weeks ago and via the HSE helpline today . I was assured all was fine, today - 2 hours after ringing the HSE Helpline for the first time and being told to self isolate , the protocol has changed again.
    I am immuno compromised after a bone marrow transplant 2 years ago. I also have 2 young daughters - one was on a ski holiday in Italy mid Feb, the other was quarantined for a week prior to yesterdays announcement as her class had come in to contact with a confirmed case.
    The eldest daughter was running a temp over 2 weeks ago, I have had cold symptoms but heavier - not flu symptoms, since 3rd March. Dry cough, shortness of breath, upper throat cough until I want to retch.
    Maybe I have a simple cold. I hope so.
    But the HSE have not been concerned about it at all.
    Take your temperature and see if you have a fever. Obviously consult your doctor tomorrow as well, but if you've been around it for that long, immunocompromised, and are still not showing one, I wouldn't be worried. Whatever the result is, relax, rest and go to sleep for tonight. Your body needs loads of time to recover if you're feeling unwell, no matter what the issue is.

Try some distraction techniques to get yourself to sleep, I find it helps to focus on each part of my body from the top of the head down. "Is my head relaxed? Ah yeah. Are my shoulders relaxed? Lovely. How are my arms? Nice and relaxed." Keep going down until your toes. Then imagine situations where you're weightless. A boat rocking in the ocean with around. A hammock swinging in the breeze. Floating on a cloud. Hope that helps a bit. You'll get through this shıt difficult time and learn from it and probably look back on it with incredulity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

was in my local aldi today. Shelves a tad more depleted than usual but no shortages of anything. Calm the **** down people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Very random.. All the flour was sold out in my local SV.
    People going back to basics of home baking?!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Ursabear wrote: »
    That is awful, I feel terrible for people who are dealing face to face with the public at the moment , very tough I imagine worrying when drunk ppl are handing them money .

I am worried for anyone who deals with high number of face to face customers every day.

Restrictions and safety measures need to be bought in ASAP, nothing draconian like, just sensible to minimize risk to staff for now. control number's at once, hours for older folk etc.shorter shifts for staff?? govt have to help ? I dunno.

When the crunch comes, these are the folks that keep our world/requirements sustained. Important people to take care of.

Very random.. All the flour was sold out in my local SV.
    People going back to basics of home baking?!

Yes. Fresh homemade sodabread here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

A possible trend mentioned by Coveney the other day, hotels becoming hospitals:

The Madrid vice president said Friday that the region is in dire need of medical supplies, despite announcing an unprecedented plan to reshuffle the region’s health system that included pooling intensive care units from both public and private hospitals and even considering creating additional hospital rooms in hotels. At least two hotel chains have offered their premises.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/spain-to-declare-state-of-emergency-over-virus-outbreak

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement