Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

nocoverart wrote: »
    Probably the first time Fair City resonated any emotional response ever... only trouble is this Sh1t ain’t scripted.

What’s happened on the fair city set?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

amacca wrote: »
    Also am I correct in saying it wasn't the first wave of spanish flu that did the most damage...it was a subsequent wave that took out a lot of poor souls

Yep I believe so.
    Those who survived the first wave had an acquired immunity. The second strain was more serious and sadly as the seriously ill were frequently rushed to hospital it spread like wildfire among the most vulnerable.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    So you're saying that it's as dangerous to go to the city centre as it is to Portugal?

I’m pretty sure at this stage it’s dangerous everywhere. Just was looking at Portugal’s figures tonight and just wondering what their population is over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fin12 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure at this stage it’s dangerous everywhere. Just was looking at Portugal’s figures tonight and just wondering what their population is over there.

Overall population? 10m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

What’s happened on the fair city set?

They basically just showed how to self isolate on the set of Fair City. I Jess but definitely the most gripping thing to do with that show ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Portugal seem to have the same muncher of cases as us ( ROI & NÍ) more or less.

I don’t think it’s save to travel to any country in Europe now.
    I had an all-expenses ticket (hotel, flights, expenses) to a festival there next weekend for a music video I did, which I decided I'd forego in January. I'm even more certain now going would be suicide. The lads I worked with are over there since last weekend making a holiday out of it, they were laughing at me until Wednesday night. Got a text today saying they're not sure the festival is going ahead and they're looking for flights but they'll have to pay for those. Shıt situation.

Edit: but then again, it's not life or death like a lot of the emergent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Worldwide death rate is 7.15% of resolved cases, 3.73% of confirmed cases. If memory serves was approx. 6.5 and 3.3 last week.

Based on CSSE, Johns Hopkins University 02:00 14th March - Ireland shown as 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This thread is very slow compared to the last few nights. Ye bastards better not be out in the pubs : )

How far can u change a flight booking, like are u able to change your flights to fly in a years time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I don't know maybe the UK is facing reality and that there only so much one can do to stop it spreading. I can understand them not wanting to close schools because who is going to mind the kids, the elderly? Those same elderly whom everyone seems to be giving out that the uk is trying to wipe out by not shutting down. We all know it's out there in the community, Merkal said she expects 70% to get it that's 59.5 million people of Germany.
    We have a pop of about 5 mil theirs is nearly 68 mil and like Germany with has a pop of 83.7 they are not closing schools yet but I don't see anyone having a go at them.

Having a smaller population does help. We have stopped schools, asking people to restrict gatherings yet we see packed supermarkets, people still going to public places to socialize, very little use of sanitation in shops etc, very few people using gloves or mask and add the gang that will be coming back from Cheltenham. Christ I know someone just back from Tenerife and they have not self isolated. Then add the very restricted testing at the start. Only time will tell how this develops.

I had an all-expenses ticket (hotel, flights, expenses) to a festival there next weekend for a music video I did, which I decided I'd forego in January. I'm even more certain now going would be suicide. The lads I worked with are over there since last weekend making a holiday out of it, they were laughing at me until Wednesday night. Got a text today saying they're not sure the festival is going ahead and they're looking for flights but they'll have to pay for those. Shıt situation.

Edit: but then again, it's not life or death like a lot of the emergent stuff

Portugal have declared a state of Alert so if it’s a very big festival I say it will be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The Catalan govt have announced bans on cafes, cinemas, bars, restaurants etc. Probably time we pushed through something similar for the greater good.

When has the greater good mattered in this country ? It’s a country that historically rewards the ignorant and stupid and the money makers, the money men are top priority they call the shots in this kip and have done for decades.

The Catalans are spot on, rather be overkill early doors than people being killed by this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Brazil's ambassador to the U.S., Nestor Forster, has tested positive for coronavirus; he was among the Brazilian officials who met Trump last weekend.

He's the 4th official in the Brazilian delegation to test positive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A friend of mine has his temperature checked on the way into his work building, over 38 you're not getting in.

If a facility in Wexford can do that, then why can't airports do the same thing?

My head can't get over a lot of the system, it's absolutely mind boggling.

No wonder politics and business are full of word salad and spin.

As my exe Emma used to say
    WHAT THE FCK in her Bristol accent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Turtwig wrote: »
    Assuming immunity will persist after recovery is a HUGE assumption. If it doesn't then herd immunity is kind of non existent.

Exactly. Noone knows if infection with this virus confers any immunity at all yet , so I can't understand why the UK would be basing their course of action on such a simplistic theory..unless it was Boris dreamed it up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

nthclare wrote: »
    A friend of mine has his temperature checked on the way into his work building, over 38 you're not getting in.

If a facility in Wexford can do that, then why can't airports do the same thing?

My head can't get over a lot of the system, it's absolutely mind boggling.

No wonder politics and business are full of word salad and spin.

As my exe Emma used to say
    WHAT THE FCK in her Bristol accent

I mean it's great they aren't letting ppl in who might be symptomatic but many people with the virus won't have any symptoms or won't have a high temperature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Me , Brother and Mother bunked down, on self imposed lock down. No kids, but Mother is 66 with high blood pressure.
    We are prepared early, before the panic, people took the mickey out of my Mother for doing it weeks ago.

The three of us will go outside for short dog walk locally only,no other direct social contact.
    Mostly stay indoors, try get online delivery set up for Milk/perishables etc if possible.

I am aware that if any one of the three of us get it, we all get it so with my Mums age/ underlying , we are being ultra careful.

I'm 45 and no known underlying conditions. When I go out, apologies, I consider everyone / every contact surface a possible threat presently, until the next few weeks pan out and we get more of a technical handle of this thing, what to do like , and what is the medium term lock down plan, the family will maintain this stance.

A lock down of some sorts absolutely needs to happen, I have no idea for how long. I'm 100% behind the Army , if they help out, because that's exactly what they will be doing.

The medical staff are bloody heroes frankly , and we need to recognize them big-time some how, when normality returns somewhat.

Insane that Pubs are open and busy , shut them down, drink on your couch, its a bloody tiny sacrifice considering the stakes.
    The Vintners association will be remembered and called out for this one day if this goes on. No more pressure groups undermining public interest for in the interest of profit. Those days are over for now lads.

Lives before economic consideration at this point nothing else matters.

We will rebuild the economy somehow after, this will be devastating in every way for the next 10 years worldwide frankly.

UK - I simply cannot get my head around BoJo, saying 'Well, a bunch of you are defiantly going to die, but, what you gonna do?

Will thousands of deaths possibly cause violent revolution type response eventually??? It seems so callous from the Tories.

Do I have that right about the UK?? If so all Island Border /Travel Ban Immediately, the provos and the rest can STFU, we will all figure that **** out later, for once we are all on the same side here lads.

Leo is a disgrace for not being here and absolutely should be isolated on return, the Man is not required anymore at this point anyway, seriously.

God Speed all and a big thanks to some amazing posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

spookwoman wrote: »
    I don't know maybe the UK is facing reality and that there only so much one can do to stop it spreading. I can understand them not wanting to close schools because who is going to mind the kids, the elderly? Those same elderly whom everyone seems to be giving out that the uk is trying to wipe out by not shutting down. We all know it's out there in the community, Merkal said she expects 70% to get it that's 59.5 million people of Germany.
    We have a pop of about 5 mil theirs is nearly 68 mil and like Germany with has a pop of 83.7 they are not closing schools yet but I don't see anyone having a go at them.

Having a smaller population does help. We have stopped schools, asking people to restrict gatherings yet we see packed supermarkets, people still going to public places to socialize, very little use of sanitation in shops etc, very few people using gloves or mask and add the gang that will be coming back from Cheltenham. Christ I know someone just back from Tenerife and they have not self isolated. Then add the very restricted testing at the start. Only time will tell how this develops.
    I think it's the fact that Johnson quoted a figure, 60%, that has people upset. We think we're going to get a lower figure than that and the policies we've enacted will bring that about. We don't like the idea that it may be 60% here too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ursabear wrote: »
    I mean it's great they aren't letting ppl in who might be symptomatic but many people with the virus won't have any symptoms or won't have a high temperature

I totally understand that, you have a valid point.
    But at least the high fevers will be detected and tested quickly enough.

What point of the spaan from zero symptoms to high temperature I wonder is the highest viral load present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why is Connor Mcgregor's aunt not counted in the official country stats if she has apparently died of coronavirus?

Maybe she was, perhaps that was the unfortunate women that died in Naas.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Watching Create and Craft on tv - from Mon they are cutting the shows to 45mins - I guess this is reaction to "social distancing". It may give an indication of where the UK advice maybe going. But I did realise they are inline to make an even bigger killing than usual as they will have a larger audience base.
    Any other indirect peripheral business winners you can think of other than the obvious tv/netflix/sky subscription channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

So we have 1 or maybe 2 dead.

That’s a long long long way off the predicted 80,000 dead.

What am I missing here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

nthclare wrote: »
    I totally understand that, you have a valid point.
    But at least the high fevers will be detected and tested quickly enough.

What point of the spaan from zero symptoms to high temperature I wonder is the highest viral load present

Here is an interesting article not sure of the repute of the sources: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-most-contagious-before-during-first-week-symptoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Exactly. Noone knows if infection with this virus confers any immunity at all yet , so I can't understand why the UK would be basing their course of action on such a simplistic theory..unless it was Boris dreamed it up ?
    Aww but... Experts
    https://twitter.com/jenoconnell/status/1238587371244978176?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

So we have 1 or maybe 2 dead.

What am I missing here ?

Brains and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Maybe she was, perhaps that was the unfortunate women that died in Naas.

the papers, I know the sun etc, say "suspected"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Brains and time.

And a wispy neckbeard.?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

And a wispy neckbeard.?.

If you can grow one,go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

spookwoman wrote: »
    I don't know maybe the UK is facing reality and that there only so much one can do to stop it spreading.

There is very little we can do to reduce overall infections now: containment has already failed, solid projections put it at 1500-3000 unidentified cases in Ireland right now, doubling ever 6 days.

But that's not the point: this is the Delay phase. what we have to do to minimise fatalities is to slow that spread right down, to allow the HSE a chance to deal with patient numbers, for better treatments to be developed, and to keep as many as possible of our vulnerable safe until there is a vaccine.

Source: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

That's what the UK is apparently going to ignore.

Close the pubs, get the gang of kids off the streets, restrict numbers in shops. Now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement