Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Very random.. All the flour was sold out in my local SV.
    People going back to basics of home baking?!

I bought the ingredients to make muffins and bread. Could be stuck indoors for a while and its a great thing to do with kids. The 4 year old loves baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

I say the supermarkets are making a killing at the moment.

They should be showing their staff the same.
    They are working with a lot of customers face to face and surrounding by them from start of shift till the end.

A 10% - 20% raise should be given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Great time to get that ready for any hobbies or stuff that needs doing about the house and garden if there is a more widespread shutdown

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JollyTTT

Fair play to NCT!
    Went there tonight, explained I am self isolating. Was given back the key and allowed to go back outside waiting. They came and took the car away. They came back to give me the cert and told me where the car was. Quick disinfectant on the car all around and happy as Larry.
    I'm diabetic and my boyfriend had a transplant, so immunosuppressed. Very lucky to live in such a country. Thank you NCT ladies and gents!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

spookwoman wrote: »
    Great time to get that ready for any hobbies or stuff that needs doing about the house and garden if there is a more widespread shutdown

I bought oven cleaner, gloss paint and wall paint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Very random.. All the flour was sold out in my local SV.
    People going back to basics of home baking?!
    Friend's a manager in one of the big supermarkets and he said "We'll have flour shortages alright. We've no mills, unlike Italy, most of these bread places can only hold three days worth of flour."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

nocoverart wrote: »
    Boards, I need some advice. I moved back home to care for my Mother who needs constant attention. My Father also has health conditions but is a very mobile person (perhaps to his lack of discernment) thinks he can run around everywhere like a rabbit on speed... but I can handle all that and keep him in if sh1t hits the fan. My problem is I have a sibling who moved back in recently who fair play holds down a job but would be the likeliest to bring this sh1t Virus in. My sibling obviously has no plan B or money for a rainy day. Would it be way too early for suggesting trying to find a different digs if possible or me even paying for a hotel room (for as long as I can) so my parents aren’t compromised? My parents are definitely red flag material when it comes to this Virus but don’t want to come across hasty with a sibling I love.

Very hard to figure this stuff out, in a similar position myself. I also moved home a few days ago to help the parents and to get a handle on things. They are also both at high risk.

I have a sister who has been world travelling for months and who wants to join us. She arrives to Dublin tomorrow. She will have to quarantine herself before she can join us, but even then I'd be very dodgy about it.

Seperately, I have other relations who want to visit. As if popping in now is the most natural thing in the world. No visitors, thanks.

I just don't know how sustainable this will be in the long term. Its terrifying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Italy and Spain seeing some big increases over the last 24 hours (2547 and 2086 respectively), Italy has now peaked the highest daily numbers from China (even at their peak) and they don't appear to be near their own peak:-

https://twitter.com/OutbreakCovid/status/1238604495883513858

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

This video helped me get the head around it a bit with regard to the non believers , this guy has been very good all along:

Monkeynut wrote: »
    I bought oven cleaner, gloss paint and wall paint.

Mesh and stakes. Have a little wildlife haven at the bottom of the garden with hedghogs hibernating and mice living under the box. Cats have taken an interest and have a temp cage setup around the mice so my thing is build a proper cage :D
    vhwioiY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Just be careful you don’t stack any exotic animals on top of each other in your garden. We wouldn’t want to cause a Pandemic : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

This video helped me get the head around it a bit with regard to the non believers , this guy has been very good all along:

UK, take note...

...falls on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Earlier in the month I thought my concerns were a bit" self hysteriacentric "- I told no one, other than looking for medical advice through my gp 2 weeks ago and via the HSE helpline today . I was assured all was fine, today - 2 hours after ringing the HSE Helpline for the first time and being told to self isolate , the protocol has changed again.
    I am immuno compromised after a bone marrow transplant 2 years ago. I also have 2 young daughters - one was on a ski holiday in Italy mid Feb, the other was quarantined for a week prior to yesterdays announcement as her class had come in to contact with a confirmed case.
    The eldest daughter was running a temp over 2 weeks ago, I have had cold symptoms but heavier - not flu symptoms, since 3rd March. Dry cough, shortness of breath, upper throat cough until I want to retch.
    Maybe I have a simple cold. I hope so.
    But the HSE have not been concerned about it at all.

Maybe you should phone your GP and get them to explain to the HSE your condition, I sure some GP's would oblige that information if it helps speed the process.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Very hard to figure this stuff out, in a similar position myself. I also moved home a few days ago to help the parents and to get a handle on things. They are also both at high risk.

I have a sister who has been world travelling for months and who wants to join us. She arrives to Dublin tomorrow. She will have to quarantine herself before she can join us, but even then I'd be very dodgy about it.

Seperately, I have other relations who want to visit. As if popping in now is the most natural thing in the world. No visitors, thanks.

I just don't know how sustainable this will be in the long term. Its terrifying really.[/QUOTE

I get ya. This is a total mind fook TBH! to think I only joined Boards to bitch about the Electric Picnic line-up and here i am all these years later having dark discussions and asking dark questions.

It is totally unreal, and everything seems like a movie nearly.

Ive watched countless history documentaries /movies about great and turbulent times in history, Epoch defining events etc...

and now we are living through our very own gigantic moment in history, documentaries will be made about us now , lol.

Ive watched countless history documentaries /movies about great and turbulent times in history, Epoch defining events etc...

and now we are living through our very own gigantic moment in history, documentaries will be made about us now , lol.
    I can't wait to show whatever generation comes after this sorry one my WhatsApps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

JollyTTT wrote: »
    Fair play to NCT!
    Went there tonight, explained I am self isolating. Was given back the key and allowed to go back outside waiting. They came and took the car away. They came back to give me the cert and told me where the car was. Quick disinfectant on the car all around and happy as Larry.
    I'm diabetic and my boyfriend had a transplant, so immunosuppressed. Very lucky to live in such a country. Thank you NCT ladies and gents!

This is a wind up surely????
    Went for an NCT and explained you’re self isolating? No you’re not.
    You may as well have gone there and explained your a giraffe.
    If you are supposed to be self isolating then you’re a fool but I suspect you’re just trolling to see who’ll bite and I have but being a troll or an irresponsible a5shole are your best choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Went to the pub and explained I’m an alcoholic. Just left the card behind the bar. And wait staff dropped pints out to me in smoking area all night. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

And maybe a Contagion II based on Covid 19.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

https://twitter.com/amann3003/status/1238267212080664576?s=21

Nice graphic of reported cases over timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Unfortunatley i cant see any real effective measures that are going to be put in place worldwide if this kind od virus springs again and again over the next decade and onwards.

We all know now that the best way to fight such a virus is contianment (in the first instantce) but we have all learned in the last month for sure that whichever country a virus like this originates from in the future that containment is just never gonna happen because flights and boarder crossings are just going to keep happening regardless.
    We are economic and material people , our lives are ruled by commerce, economics and overwhelmingingly ..capitialism.
    If a vurus originates in Timbuku in 2021 and is easily enough transmitted then within a few short months there will be cases of it found in the Falklands Islands and Alaska and a certain percentage of every nationality worldwide will die from a case of it.
    Years , centuries ago without any of the advanced science availabe now.. it would have been easier to conatain such a thing.
    Stockmarkets will always come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

This^ we are living through the biggest human history event since WWII. I didn't think I would see something like this for another few years - I thought we would have to wait for an AI related problem in the late 2020's at the earliest.

I have this nagging feeling that this is the trigger moment for a string of era defining events but hope it's just that... a feeling

This definitely feels like a movie and there are definitely a few scary scenes to come before it gets any better.

Hopefully a vaccine comes along earlier than expected and we can look back on this like a bad dream in a few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

9/11 was a big deal too though.

Unfortunatley i cant see any real effective measures that are going to be put in place worldwide if this kind od virus springs again and again over the next decade and onwards.

We all know now that the best way to fight such a virus is contianment (in the first instantce) but we have all learned in the last month for sure that whichever country a virus like this originates from in the future that containment is just never gonna happen because flights and boarder crossings are just going to keep happening regardless.
    We are economic and material people , our lives are ruled by commerce, economics and overwhelmingingly ..capitialism.
    If a vurus originates in Timbuku in 2021 and is easily enough transmitted then within a few short months there will be cases of it found in the Falklands Islands and Alaska and a certain percentage of every nationality worldwide will die from a case of it.
    Years , centuries ago without any of the advanced science availabe now.. it would have been easier to conatain such a thing.
    Stockmarkets will always come first.
    While this is all a valid assessment of how things are going and could go, it's not necessarily the way it will or should. This disease doesn't care if you're rich, but from the following trickles of information emerging, I'm beginning to suspect that maybe many celebrities may have been conspicuously quiet in the face of what would be a great PR stunt (Hank and Mcgregor and all the footballers excluded) because they're all literally gone into hiding.

Business Insider has picked up on the article I was posting about otherwise healthy people suffering Bilateral Interstital Pneumonia and received testimonies from doctors in Hong Kong:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3?r=US&IR=T
    People who recover from COVID-19 can still be left with substantially reduced lung functions, the Hong Kong Hospital Authority has found after observing the first wave of patients discharged after becoming infected by the novel coronavirus.
    The doctors made the observations after studying a group of 12 patients who had recovered, rather than as part of a wider-ranging study.
    They found a drop of 20% to 30% in lung capacity in two or three out of them.
    "They gasp if they walk a bit more quickly," a top infectious diseases expert said, according to the South China Morning Post. He added, however, that patients could do cardiovascular exercises to improve their lungs.
    While it's too early to establish long-term effects of the illness, scans of nine patients in the group suggested that recovered patients had sustained organ damage, the Post reported...

This ties in with this earlier article:
    https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

Many of my friends and family have said they don't care, they'll just go out and get it, whatever. I think they feel vindicated by the UK's reaction. I implored them to stock up and bunker down but this situation is too far outside their level of comprehension, they'll make up their own minds. RTÉ, DoH and HSE told them to "Wash their hands" and carry on as normal, so how could they have known something completely deadly and life-altering was out there.

The shıt thing is that there's still about four weeks of trauma to go through, watching many of them suffer and potentially die because they were misinformed by state media to an unknown end. Possibly even just to keep the government ticking over for an extra three or four days before things go completely Mad Max on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Seems like its up to individual businesses if they close or not. There are lots of pubs and nightclubs that have decided to close for the foreseeable future. Its not really the governments call at this point in time. Best thing to do is speak to your manager about taking leave. That at least should be an option available to workers.

Leave on Paddy's week after just having our busiest Friday since Xmas? Sadly, I wish :(

• Advertisement

And maybe a Contagion II based on Covid 19.

funny but not funny but scary but funny, but you gotta laugh man.

tbh, Im deffo in a bit of shock, maybe PTSD possibly I think, I do not know, deffo on edge, a lot of hours here, was not drinking for two years, having a Guinness here (Can).

But to be honest the hours here could be lifesaving.

And I guess for all of us who have really clocked whats happening , we all roughly are in the same headspace???

We are all a bit stressed and scared so none of us are alone really.

Use your common sense...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement