Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,522 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FG don't have to do a thing nor should they.

SF will bring everything crashing down within two years busting up the country and once again the people will have to turn to FG to rescue the country.

Same thing over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    If the cliff is far enough away, and the person left in the car doesn't have a clue about driving, then they will probably escape the blame.

Dat you Enda?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

whats the big issue with pensions, the vast majority own houses, if they want to be asset rich and "cash poor" thats their choice and I think that will likely be an option going forward, the occupant could do a sale and lease back of the property for an agreed return etc to banks or a fund etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Necro wrote: »
    A surplus in the budget for the first time in over a decade maybe?

I dunno, seems pretty fine to me.

Yet they couldn't avoid record breaking numbers of homeless children......sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,522 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yet they couldn't avoid record breaking numbers of homeless children......sad.

If only things were so simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If only things were so simple.

Choices play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

It's great FG are so happy to be in opposition. I only hope it lasts indefinitely.

FF should be barred from government permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I don't disagree with the above, and I also have respect for your opinion and the opinion of that of the electorate!

Only reason I was posting in here was to call out lies.

Same for me... Ironic that both parties who were spouting these lies have since scurried back under their respective rocks.

Fg said things take time, they had nine years, so why arent thy rooting to form government now again, to implement everything, that they had set the ball rolling on? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Fg said things take time, they had nine years, so why arent thy rooting to form government now again, to implement everything, that they had set the ball rolling on? :rolleyes:

Because they are only the 3rd biggest party. Now we will see what SF are made of?
    Carbon tax increase in the next budget is the first thing anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Idbatterim wrote: »

Because they are only the 3rd biggest party. Now we will see what SF are made of?

they literally thought they could waffle for years and get away with it. You actually need to be prepared to lead and make decisions. I will give MLMD one things, she strikes me as being prepared to make decisions, far more than the other spineless two kite flyers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Then accept your role as second fiddle to a larger party and get involved in trying to form a government for the good of the country instead of sulking in the corner declaring yourselves leaders of the opposition.

If we end up going back to the polls, FG will be the party most at fault, and the people won't thank them for it one bit.

They spent most of the election making a song and dance about who they won't work with, then when they didn't get the numbers they wanted, they're upset at the prospect being a junior party so they start walking off the pitch.

*for clarity, FG involved in any sort of coalition is my least favourite option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

When FG were in power, they just looked after a very small bunch of their very very rich buddies.

Would they want to be allowed to keep this up, (like a red line for them), for them to go into a coalition ?

Dinny might be given the state contract to retrofit insulation in our old housing stock.
    Dinny might be given the state contract to to service all those water meters he installed back in the good old days.
    Dinny might be given the state contract to set up a 5G phone network, like the one he got for esat back in the good old days.
    Dinny might be given the state contract to lay down our new fiber optic cable network, he already got a €147 tax wright off to buy SiteServ.

All the above could be FG's red lines ??

Oh,, and we will need to retrofit smart electric meters to every home in the country,, Now who might do that for us ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

satguy wrote: »
    When FG were in power, they just looked after a very small bunch of their very very rich buddies.

Would they want to be allowed to keep this up, (like a red line for them), for them to go into a coalition ?

Dinny might be given the state contract to retrofit insulation in our old housing stock.
    Dinny might be given the state contract to to service all those water meters he installed back in the good old days.
    Dinny might be given the state contract to set up a 5G phone network, like the one he got for esat back in the good old days.
    Dinny might be given the state contract to lay down our new fiber optic cable network, he already got a €147 tax wright off to buy SiteServ.

All the above could be FG's red lines ??

Oh,, and we will need to retrofit smart electric meters to every home in the country,, Now who might do that for us ??

Are the civil service complicit in these shady dealings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Are the civil service complicit in these shady dealings?

The moriarty tribunal seemed to think so..

https://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0322/298932-moriarty/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yurt! wrote: »
    Then accept your role as second fiddle to a larger party and get involved in trying to form a government for the good of the country instead of sulking in the corner declaring yourselves leaders of the opposition.

If we end up going back to the polls, FG will be the party most at fault, and the people won't thank them for it one bit.

They spent most of the election making a song and dance about who they won't work with, then when they didn't get the numbers they wanted, they're upset at the prospect being a junior party so they start walking off the pitch.

Aren't they doing what SF do and keeping their promise to their voters not to go onto power with SF?

Like SF and the absenteeism from Westminster stance?

Aren't they doing what SF do and keeping their promise to their voters not to go onto power with SF?

I don't hold that against them. But the question of them playing little brother to FF in coalition is now rapidly coming into the frame. It's why they were so quick to paint themselves as the leaders of the opposition before they switched off the lights in the RDS count centre Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah but that's different. Absenteeism suits the Shinners as long as the cheques from Her Majesty's Government keep rolling in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

OP should change title to “another five years”!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Edgware wrote: »
    Ah but that's different. Absenteeism suits the Shinners as long as the cheques from Her Majesty's Government keep rolling in
    Well SF don't take UK Ministerial salaries.
    But the point is that since HMG is bankrolling the failed statelet in the North, it's not all that bad to let the place crumble a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

Well last time I checked SF are more than happy to sit things out.

I mean did they bother resurrecting Stormont until after Brexit withdrawal agreement was in place ?
    The only sane voice speaking for Northern Ireland's interests in Westminister was the wife of the late chief of the dreaded RUC.
    Labour to bow out of the left alliance, but still hope to get the pension age up to 68, but only for poor people.

Brendan Howlin just wants to sit next to Leo for a few years, more hand sitting, more votes wasted.

And now you are having a go at Labour for not running into government.

Jaysus fook SF have been lambasting all these parties for years about what they did in government, how they need to let SF set things right and now when SF have a chance they are still complaining that the other parties won't go back into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMBC

I did read that share prices fell and the market lost total value. I'm not financially savvy enough to check if it regained those losses.
    However I also read that IBEC and Irish Bankers (as in Banking Payments Federation) think tht SF in power would not be a problem. That would seem to be counter to the general tenor of the posters who think that SF will leave the country as a financial basket-case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

PMBC wrote: »
    I did read that share prices fell and the market lost total value. I'm not financially savvy enough to check if it regained those losses.
    However I also read that IBEC and Irish Bankers (as in Banking Payments Federation) think tht SF in power would not be a problem. That would seem to be counter to the general tenor of the posters who think that SF will leave the country as a financial basket-case.

It's not as if S.F.friends would be running in to the banks with sawn offs and wearing balaclavas

Edgware wrote: »
    It's not as if S.F.friends would be running in to the banks with sawn offs and wearing balaclavas

You really should do a spot in Vicar Street, your talent is wasted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems like the online shinner camp are way off message.

Mary-Lou now stating pretty clearly that she absolutely does not want to see a FF/FG government and making goo-goo eyes at FF to go into government with her.

Even Mary-Lou thinks FG need to go sit on the sidelines for a while and not be trying to make a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Is Leo not just playing the long game here.
    He's a very canny political operator (see how he handled Coveney in his bid for the leadership).

Could it be he's thinking wait for a year for SF to **** things up and back in again.

Is Leo not just playing the long game here.
    He's a very canny political operator (see how he handled Coventry in his bid for the leadership).

Could it be he's thinking wait for a year for SF to **** things up and back in again.

A canny political operator? lol before Christmas with a deal done on Brexit and well clear of FF in the polls he didn't take the opportunity to call an election. Yeah canny......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yurt! wrote: »

Hang on a sec. FG and FF stated beforehand that they would not go into government with SF and their TDS were elected with that mandate.
    Now you want them to ignore that and work with SF for the good of the country??

Remind me again how many elected SF members took up their seats in Westminster for the good of NI when Brexit was in progress?

NONE.... so SF can shut the hell up, and either create a government with the their parties that are compatible with their views or face facts that they’re talking ****e.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    Hang on a sec. FG and FF stated beforehand that they would not go into government with SF and their TDS were elected with that mandate.
    Now you want them to ignore that and work with SF for the good of the country??

Remind me again how many elected SF members took up their seats in Westminster for the good of NI when Brexit was in progress?

NONE.... so SF can shut the hell up, and either create a government with the their parties that are compatible with their views or face facts that they’re talking ****e.

Nope, never said that. Nor did I even imply it in any post on any thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement