Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yurt! wrote: »
    Nope, never said that. Nor did I even imply it in any post on any thread.

Are you ****ting me?
    It’s in your post ffs.

Then accept your role as second fiddle to a larger party and get involved in trying to form a government for the good of the country instead of sulking in the corner declaring yourselves leaders of the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Blazer wrote: »
    Are you ****ting me?
    It’s in your post ffs.

Then accept your role as second fiddle to a larger party and get involved in trying to form a government for the good of the country instead of sulking in the corner declaring yourselves leaders of the opposition.

If you were actually paying attention I said FG should accept their role as second fiddle to FF in coalition negotiations if they are to avoid another election.

But you weren't paying attention, so you're swearing into the universe instead. Take a xanax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

If you were actually paying attention I said FG should accept their role as second fiddle to FF in coalition negotiations if they are to avoid another election.

But you weren't paying attention, so you're swearing into the universe instead. Take a xanax.

Seriously if you say one thing in one post and the opposite in another and maintain in the next post that it's the first you meant and and in the next that you never said the 2nd and 4 posts before, you did say it,you either think thread readers here are zombies or you are posting for posting sake or bored
    Regardless it looks foolish of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Looking at some of the very tight seats FG managed to win on 5th or 6th counts should make them very worried.

If we go back to the people for a second GE,, I think FG will be lucky to win 29 seats. Because SF and other left Parties would do 2 things.

Run running mates with poll toppers, and ,, ensure they remind voters to transfer to left.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Seriously if you say one thing in one post and the opposite in another and maintain in the next post that it's the first you meant and and in the next that you never said the 2nd and 4 posts before, you did say it,you either think thread readers here are zombies or you are posting for posting sake or bored
    Regardless it looks foolish of you

Have another read of it, or don't. Don't really care. I was explicitly talking about FG and their stance on being a junior in a possible coalition with FF and not one with SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

satguy wrote: »
    Looking at some of the very tight seats FG managed to win on 5th or 6th counts should make them very worried.

If we go back to the people for a second GE,, I think FG will be lucky to win 29 seats. Because SF and other left Parties would do 2 things.

Run running mates with poll toppers, and ,, ensure they remind voters to transfer to left.

That will suit FG. Better to sit on the fence and see are SF the real deal or just all talk.

Sometimes defense is the best play

Oh I doubt that's the direction of travel here
    Sinn Féin will be in government
    People before profit etc will not
    Pretty soon the latter will be turning fire on Sinn Féin once many of the promises get shelved

That will suit FG. Better to sit on the fence and see are SF the real deal or just all talk.

Sometimes defense is the best play

This would be a grand stance to take if only FG would publicly admit to the electorate they're going in the opposite direction to power, and are taking a knee not in the national interest but to nurse their bruises.

Have another read of it, or don't. Don't really care. I was explicitly talking about FG and their stance on being a junior in a possible coalition with FF and not one with SF.

You already know FG only ever said they'd go with FF as a very last resort,so their mandate is to let FF and the other parties have at it and only step in if nothing works
    You already know this and keep ignoring that to scrape the bottom of your Fg hate barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Oh I doubt that's the direction of travel here
    Sinn Féin will be in government
    People before profit etc will not
    Pretty soon the latter will be turning fire on Sinn Féin once many of the promises get shelved

The Trotskyist versus the Slabists

• Advertisement

This would be a grand stance to take if only FG would publicly admit to the electorate they're going in the opposite direction to power, and are taking a knee not in the national interest but to nurse their bruises.

They made it clear before the election they wouldn't go in government with SF and said it after the election also. So I respect them for sticking to it, unlike FF who will jump into bed with anyone to get power.

Fg hate barrel

Sounds like an awesome name for a death metal band

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Has anyone in FG said, or even implied, that they're staying away from government "in the national interest"?

Sounds like an awesome name for a death metal band

:D:D:D:D:D:D

They made it clear before the election they wouldn't go in government with SF and said it after the election also. So I respect them for sticking to it, unlike FF who will jump into bed with anyone to get power.

I was never making the suggestion FG would go into coalition with SF, I was speaking about a tie-up with FF with FG as a junior partner.

I was never making the suggestion FG would go into coalition with SF, I was speaking about a tie-up with FF with FG as a junior partner.

That's zero likelihood
    An informal Tallaght strategy is more likely pending outrage from the masses at whatever it is that goes wrong

Why on earth would they do that, it would be the death knell for parties.
    Not that it wouldn’t be a bad thing still.

Blazer wrote: »

Precisely. If this is the only marriage left on the table, and they spurn the opportunity to make it; we go back to the polls (a Tallaght strategy type arrangement is not feasible with these numbers).

The public will deserve damn good answers why this transpired. Not that they'll be given them, so further hurt for both at the ballot box.

A Tallaght strategy is simply abstaining on votes
    Both FF and FG can do that and you have your left wing government
    OR SF,the greens and FF can coalesce with FG abstaining on most things,letting them on with it,criticising none the less

Thats called waiting in the long grass and its consistent with their mandate

• Advertisement

A Tallaght strategy is simply abstaining on votes
    Both FF and FG can do that and you have your left wing government
    OR SF,the greens and FF can coalesce with FG abstaining on most things,letting them on with it,criticising none the less

Thats called waiting in the long grass and its consistent with their mandate

I know what it is. One party keeping all its troops to the abstentionist line is difficult enough to have a stable government. Two (or more) just wouldn't be a runner, and while it could be attempted, I think all parties across the Dail know it would be waste of time.

Simon Coveney also drew a line through another S&C deal, and the above arrangement is riskier still - so in terms of the likelihood of that happening, I'd rate it as extremely unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

It wont happen,, but , if FG and FF do try to get together, they still need the Green party.

So if FG and FF have been in power for the last 3 years with the help of this magic S&C agreement. How can the greens then say they are looking for change, if they then just keep FG and FF in power.

I think they would be wiped out at the next GE ..

But the country wants SF not FF

Simon Coveney also drew a line through another S&C deal, and the above arrangement is riskier still - so in terms of the likelihood of that happening, I'd rate it as extremely unlikely.

Actually a Tallaght strategy is very doable
    FG t.d's arent eejits or lemmings

Meanwhile SF are already peeing off one of the main populist papers

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1227916423982391298?s=09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

But the country wants SF not FF

Actually 44% voted for FF/FG, knowing that they were in government together for the last four years. 24% voted for SF.

It wont happen,, but , if FG and FF do try to get together, they still need the Green party.

So if FG and FF have been in power for the last 3 years with the help of this magic S&C agreement. How can the greens then say they are looking for change, if they then just keep FG and FF in power.

I think they would be wiped out at the next GE ..

All three would be wiped, hence SF wants that.

FG should and will let SF do all the work now.

Actually a Tallaght strategy is very doable
    FG t.d's arent eejits or lemmings

I'm sure everyone reading this, and even FG supporters can think of more than a few who would fit that description, and they might use stronger words than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm sure everyone reading this, and even FG supporters can think of more than a few who would fit that description, and they might use stronger words than that.

If I may...
    A FINE GAEL TD has warned that Ireland faces “an ISIS situation” if the more extreme elements of water charge protests are not “nipped in the bud”.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-td-noel-coonan-water-charges-isis-situation-1790877-Nov2014/

The stability thing was a con. It was the only way FG could square a deal with FF after slagging them off as the worst thing ever in the previous election.
    Varadkar has stormed out in a huff and Martin wants to be king, but no SF. So It's looking like a left alliance or an election.

Actually 44% voted for FF/FG, knowing that they were in government together for the last four years. 24% voted for SF.

But how much voted for FF and FG on their own?

Alot voted for their party as they said wouldn't go into government together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Micheal Martin wants to be Taoiseach. That's it really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement