Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone reading this, and even FG supporters can think of more than a few who would fit that description, and they might use stronger words than that.

I'm sure they could but when it comes to strategy in the current environment, lemmings or eejits they wont be
    I think you know my point anyway
    What they are doing now is entirely in keeping with what they said they would do and contains much leeway for most evolving circumstances in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bowie wrote: »
    . So It's looking like a left alliance or an election.

It's looking like Leo and Michael will try to come to some sort of arrangement with Eamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Look Mary Lou clearly stared FF or FG in government would be a disaster for the country and she doesn't want to facilitate that.

So she won't go in with them or else she will look silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

But how much voted for FF and FG on their own?

Alot voted for their party as they said wouldn't go into government together

Doesn't matter as Simon Harris has said repeatedly ,75% didn't vote for SF.

Listening to the radio, Martin got the backing of his party to refuse to talk to SF, so it looks like it's FF/FG and a.n.other.
    Being saying for years FF and FG should coalesce and stop the pretence they are different. If the election achieves nothing else I'm happy with that outcome. We can then have a proper opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's looking like Leo and Michael will try to come to some sort of arrangement with Eamon.

Leo said he's looking forward to opposition.
    Look Mary Lou clearly stared FF or FG in government would be a disaster for the country and she doesn't want to facilitate that.

So she won't go in with them or else she will look silly.

She was open to talks, they would not have been on the same page. It's FF/FG ruled out even talking. No party should deal with either of them if they are so inclined.
    As Shortall said, everyone should be willing to talk for the good of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yurt! wrote: »
    I know what it is. One party keeping all its troops to the abstentionist line is difficult enough to have a stable government. Two (or more) just wouldn't be a runner, and while it could be attempted, I think all parties across the Dail know it would be waste of time.

I will defer to your superior sinn fein knowledge on abstentionist tactics. ;)
    PressRun wrote: »
    Micheal Martin wants to be Taoiseach. That's it really.

But are his party willing to facilitate it at the expense of the party ?
    Listening to the radio, Martin got the backing of his party to refuse to talk to SF, so it looks like it's FF/FG and a.n.other.
    Being saying for years FF and FG should coalesce and stop the pretence they are different. If the election achieves nothing else I'm happy with that outcome. We can then have a proper opposition.

Has it crossed the minds of the shinners how it will play out in future elections, if after all their bluster they allow FF and FG to form another government and continue as is ?

I mean your were given a mandate for change and the only change you attempted was to force the other parties to form a government, all the while you gave nothing to your voters.

Yes you can argue that there isn't any difference between FF and FG, but on the other hand you look like a bunch of spoofers who haven't the balls to have a go.

I find it really funny how shinners are demanding that others compromise their positions and principles, of course for the good of the country, but sinn fein it appears don't have to do any such thing.

Then again some might argue sinn fein never had many principles to begin with.

For sinn fein to achieve single party government you will have to up the vote considerably.

The last time someone won real outright victory was Lynch in 77 and he had over 50% of the vote.

There isn't a snow balls chance in hell of there being that amount of people in Ireland that are so disaffected \ disillusioned and economically illiterate to give the current sinn fein that type of vote.

jmayo wrote: »

Has it crossed the minds of the shinners how it will play out in future elections, if after all their bluster they allow FF and FG to form another government and continue as is ?

I mean your were given a mandate for change and the only change you attempted was to force the other parties to form a government, all the while you gave nothing to your voters.

Yes you can argue that there isn't any difference between FF and FG, but on the other hand you look like a bunch of spoofers who haven't the balls to have a go.

For sinn fein to achieve single party government you will have to up the vote considerably.

The last time someone won real outright victory was Lynch in 77 and he had over 50% of the vote.

There isn't a snow balls chance in hell of there being that amount of people in Ireland that are so disaffected \ disillusioned and economically illiterate to give the current sinn fein that type of vote.

Has it occurred to you that all commentary from those that know what they are talking about ( you clearly don't) that the numbers for a SF led government does not exist. Any doubt you may have get a calculator and see can you get to 80 . That's the required amount of seats unless either FF or FG was willing to offer a C and S arrangement which has also been ruled out.
    The rest of your comment what I can I say, its just plain stupid and smacks of the usual arrogance portrayed by many here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Has it occurred to you that all commentary from those that know what they are talking about ( you clearly don't) that the numbers for a SF led government does not exist. Any doubt you may have get a calculator and see can you get to 80 . That's the required amount of seats unless either FF or FG was willing to offer a C and S arrangement which has also been ruled out.
    The rest of your comment what I am I say it just plain stupid

So will SF go in with FF if FF agree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt FF will agree.

But let's just say they did, nah, scratch that, won't happen I think.

MM could be TS in a FFG/other alignment. Power yay.

• Advertisement

Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you really clueless?
    FF have ruled out even talking to SF. They will be no left government with SF at the helm.
    There will be a government of FF/FG and a.n.other in the national interest.
    MLM can try and from a government but she may as well try to empty the Atlantic with a teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

It looks like it's a second GE.

I have said already that I can't see FG doing better than 29 seats if SF and other Left parties place running mates with poll toppers.

But if the greens have not been seen seeking change, or have been seen looking to keep FG and FF in power, it's back to 1 or 2 seats for them. The very same can also be said for FF, holding hands with Leo would / will be punnished in a second GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

What do you expect them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

I find it really funny how shinners are demanding that others compromise their positions and principles, of course for the good of the country, but sinn fein it appears don't have to do any such thing.

Then again some might argue sinn fein never had many principles to begin with.

what in sh*the are you on about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

It looks like it's a second GE.

I have said already that I can't see FG doing better than 29 seats if SF and other Left parties place running mates with poll toppers.

But if the greens have not been seen seeking change, or have been seen looking to keep FG and FF in power, it's back to 1 or 2 seats for them. The very same can also be said for FF, holding hands with Leo would / will be punnished in a second GE.

Which is why it is likely that FF and FG + Greens will do a coalition.

No election until Feb 2025. We will have a stable government - FF and Fg will do so in national interest. Trust me. You read it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

How was the economy when they took the reins ? How is it now ?

Health has always been a basket case . The consultants run it... very hard to change it many have tried.

The people voted for FF and SF ahead of FG what do you want them to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

Shinners are gas. Seem to want FF in government after everything they’ve said.
    So much for ‘winning’ the election and a left mandate for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Has it crossed the minds of the shinners how it will play out in future elections, if after all their bluster they allow FF and FG to form another government and continue as is?

There's nothing they can do about it if FF/FG so decide and can get the rest of the numbers needed from somewhere.
    That's democracy, most people voted for "FFG" and I think it could be healthy if they become political allies (even if it's not good for them!). The civil war has passed from living memory & there is barely a sheet of paper between them now. It was quite noticable this election that voters supporting opponents with different ideas are transferring among various stripes of the centre-left & left now and avoiding "FFG" candidates.
    Only thing holding them back is they know they'll both be left smaller and weaker afterwards and will have to share the "spoils" between them (neither getting to boss the other around). Their combined vote share has been falling gradually for decades anyway so I think it is going to come sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Shinners didn’t put enough enough candidates
    QED

FF /FG with another

(Cullinane an experienced politician has spooked people imho )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

omega man wrote: »
    Shinners are gas. Seem to want FF in government after everything they’ve said.
    So much for ‘winning’ the election and a left mandate for change.

I feel like banging my head off a brick wall.
    Will I spell it out for you?
    How the hell can SF form a govt with 37 seats when:
    FF won't go with them.
    FG won't go with them
    And without either of the above a govt cannot be formed which would be anyway stable?

It's not exactly rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fann Linn wrote: »
    FF won't go with them.
    FG won't go with them
    And without either of the above a govt cannot be formed which would be anyway stable?

So they lost the election really. But won in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

FF won't go with them.
    FG won't go with them

SF said they wanted to form a government without FG or FF

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bowie wrote: »
    Leo said he's looking forward to opposition.

I think Leo will be persuaded to change his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

FF won't go with them.
    FG won't go with them

So there’s no mandate for change then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Eh full employment recovery from the crash, brexit renegotiation etc.

SF have been in power for over 20 years in NI what have they achieved that has been better than FG? What have FG done that was worse than SF in half the time FG had?

SF's record in NI

https://inequality.org/research/sinn-fein-austerity-record/

Tax cuts and power given WM despite SDLP criticism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sinn-f%C3%A9in-under-fire-over-welfare-cuts-move-1.2435441

That is before we get into health in NI

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RVTQ7CyHeagJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/thousands-of-nurses-in-northern-ireland-strike-over-pay-1.4133733+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Or the fact that ROI has built nearly twice as much completed houses percentage wise- than NI- 17% in 2019 as per the previous year 2018.

NI completed housing increased only 10% in 2019 on the previous year 2018

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/system/files/publications/communities/ni-housing-stats-18-19-full-copy.PDF

ROI CSO housing new completions 2019

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/construction/newdwellingcompletions/

---

So who is codding who here if FG have done so badly where is the evidence compared to SF in government in NI?

Plus if anyone has sat on thier hands it was SF they refused to go to WM to try and stop Brexit. They did not sit in stormont for three years!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

There is only one sensible government to be made FF,FG and Greens....like them or not.

How can we have a SF minister for Justice or Defence and trust them with State secrets and confidential info when many of their supporters are fuel smugglers for example.As for negotiating Brexit deals.................

The new gov must sort the housing and hospital crisis and restore the pension age! Simples!

% years down the line the Shinners will be a spent force and we will have given them more time to forget their past!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

omega man wrote: »
    So there’s no mandate for change then?

It was just a protest vote to wake up FFG and make them cop on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Eh full employment recovery from the crash, brexit renegotiation etc.

SF have been in power for over 20 years in NI what have they achieved that has been better than FG? What have FG done that was worse than SF in half the time FG had?

SF's record in NI

https://inequality.org/research/sinn-fein-austerity-record/

Tax cuts and power given WM despite SDLP criticism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sinn-f%C3%A9in-under-fire-over-welfare-cuts-move-1.2435441

That is before we get into health in NI

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RVTQ7CyHeagJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/thousands-of-nurses-in-northern-ireland-strike-over-pay-1.4133733+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Or the fact that ROI has built nearly twice as much completed houses percentage wise- than NI- 17% in 2019 as per the previous year 2018.

NI completed housing increased only 10% in 2019 on the previous year 2018

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/system/files/publications/communities/ni-housing-stats-18-19-full-copy.PDF

ROI CSO housing new completions 2019

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/construction/newdwellingcompletions/

---

So who is codding who here if FG have done so badly where is the evidence compared to SF in government in NI?

Plus if anyone has sat on thier hands it was SF they refused to go to WM to try and stop Brexit. They did not sit in stormont for three years!

Fine Gael and their designed housing crisis is damaging the economy.thanks FG!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/housing-crisis-holding-back-growth-in-dublin-economy-1.4165059

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

FG + FF means, that 30 year old son / daughter still living with mum & dad, will be still there when they are 40..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

If both FG and FF want to rule out coalition with SF, it will have to be FG FF Greens I think. I don't think going down the independents route to prop up a government will work, because it gives one individual way too much power. We can't have a threat of the government collapsing at the whim of somebody who is annoyed they haven't got what they want for their constituency.

The only other thing I can imagine is another general election now, before the thing even gets going, because mathematically nothing is stable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement