Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This thread is so funny. It is full of the same people who spent the last few years crying and whinging for Fine Gael to go out of government who are now crying and whinging because Fine Gael won't go into government.

Only on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

Yurt! wrote: »
    And you? What are you at? Doing the lord's work here I suppose

Nah I’m just here watching the human car crash

6 months before you’re complaining about whoever takes the poison chalice next is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

blanch152 wrote: »
    This thread is so funny. It is full of the same people who spent the last few years crying and whinging for Fine Gael to go out of government who are now crying and whinging because Fine Gael won't go into government.

Only on boards.

Or... mocking FG for running from government when there's a viable one to be made between them and FF. It's acknowledged in the Irish examiner today they want to retreat into opposition. FG are officially the new party of protest.

Or... mocking FG for running from government when there's a viable one to be made between them and FF. It's acknowledged in the Irish examiner today they want to retreat into opposition. FG are officially the new party of protest.

The only way that Fine Gael end up in government is if Sinn Fein run away from the challenge. Fine Gael have 35 seats, lost the most seats in the election. That means that there are 125 seats available for Mary-Lou to get a majority of 80 as the most popular party.

If Mary-Lou isn't up to that challenge, or fails miserably as a negotiator, then Fine Gael will have to step up to the plate. Varadkar has been clear in other interviews that those are the only circumstances. If Mary-Lou can't stand the heat, someone else has to do the cooking, but she can't complain from the sidelines any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're a party that have spent the last nine years in Government and one which finished third in the election.

I just don't see why you think that the onus is on them to go back into Government. Are you that eager for 14 years of Fine Gael rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

rob316 wrote: »
    Because we have the most attractive corporation rate in Europe.

Its that simple, our GDP isn't a true reflection of the economy.

If we ever were forced to bring our CT rate in line with other countries it would make the last recession look like a picnic.

Which is something the next Government may well have to deal with. Now we do have Big Phil over in Brussels so that’s something, but I wouldn’t be too keen on sending the like of Barry Cowan and some SF no-mark over there to argue the position. Thank god we have a brilliant (if slightly pricey) civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

Only on boards.

I've heard of sore losers but these lads are sore winners as well:D

CFlat wrote: »
    I've heard of sore losers but these lads are sore winners as well:D

Brilliant. It'd take SF to be "sore winners"! :pac::pac::pac:

I just don't see why you think that the onus is on them to go back into Government. Are you that eager for 14 years of Fine Gael rule?

Nope, just a decent explanation why they are all chomping at the bit to get into opposition when they could still form a junior role in a new government.

They deserve for their feet to be held to the flames on this question when a common refrain from them is that parties of other orientation run from responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Fieldsman wrote: »
    If someone said FG sat on their hands for the last 9 years how come our economy is the envy of every other country in Europe and our unemployment went from 15% down to less than 5

What exactly did FG do or change that caused the recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Keyzer wrote: »
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Keyzer wrote: »

I've checked the income tax calculator based on a salary of 100K (way above the numbers you're talking about), see below:

Annual salary (before pension contributions) - €100,000

Tax payable:
    €35,300 @ 20% = €7,060 / €64,700 @ 40% = €25,880
    PRSI = €4,000
    USC = €4,871

Total deductions = €38,511

That's 38.5% tax...

Now, please explain to me how this person is paying 50% tax.

Now run the numbers for 101,000 , how much of the extra 1000 is deducted for tax, usc, prsi?

I make it 520.

So the marginal rate is over 50%

Nope, just a decent explanation why they are all chomping at the bit to get into opposition when they could still form a junior role in a new government.

They deserve for their feet to be held to the flames on this question when a common refrain from them is that parties of other orientation run from responsibility.

But why are you putting all the onus on the third placed party to form a Government?

Surely the obligation is on the two biggest parties?

You're like a five-year-old sobbing "Why are Mommy and Daddy yelling??" :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

storker wrote:
    What exactly did FG do or change to enable this recovery?

Ah yeah, pure chancers the whole lot of em.

Just sat in the Dail and played checkers and the economy put itself back together without their help.

Seriously though....

How about relatively decent financial governance (bar the odd major mishap like NCH)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You also seem to want them as far away as possible from power. Something about that just does not compute at all.

Necro wrote: »
    ...major mishap like NCH...

I cannot wait to see Pearse Doherty deal with BAM! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

storker wrote: »
    What exactly did FG do or change that caused the recovery?

Wrong Question
    You need to ask what they didn't do to ruin it and that would be try spend what we don't have

jimgoose wrote: »
    You're like a five-year-old sobbing "Why are Mommy and Daddy yelling??" :pac:

You're losing it Jim. I'm keeping it on topic and you're getting flashbacks to your childhood

You're losing it Jim. I'm keeping it on topic and you're getting flashbacks to your childhood

You keep ignoring my tutorials on political tactics, young man. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

jimgoose wrote:
    I cannot wait to see Pearse Doherty deal with BAM!

Or the Metro

Or the unions looking for a new pay deal

*Shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Tbh
    Even the left parties aren't peddling that one...
    I'd imagine FG will be the party of protest after parts of the next government discover that what the facilitators were telling them all along and that is,it just isnt possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's getting comical. One minute SF are ranting about change and getting into government and now they are ranting that FG don't want to be in gov. Hilarious.

jimgoose wrote: »
    You keep ignoring my tutorials on political tactics, young man. :D

As I suspected, it's all about party tactics and jockeying.

The maths are there for a government. It's not a government I'd like, but it's there for them.

FG wasted no time during the campaign telling us who they won't go to the dance with in the national interest, it will soon come time to tell us who they would be willing to go with if FF keep steady on their no SF stance.

Their self proclaimed desire for stable governance will come into conflict with their instinct to cut and run because it would be embarrassing to be a junior partner to FF.

I'll revisit this thread if and when that drama plays out, and I'll bring enough popcorn for everybody.

This whole thing is just weird.

As I suspected, it's all about party tactics and jockeying...

It's politics, yes, as expounded by professional politicians, you know, all the major parties, possibly even SF. You were expecting maybe brick-laying? Dentistry? Offshore sea-angling?? :pac:

Hint: Erwin Rommel didn't go about his business by running headlong for the first gap he saw. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's getting comical. One minute SF are ranting about change and getting into government and now they are ranting that FG don't want to be in gov. Hilarious.

They didn’t even get 24 hours of happiness with the result! Back to moaning about the blueshirts. It’s glorious to watch to be honest.

The maths are there for a government. It's not a government I'd like, but it's there for them.

FG wasted no time during the campaign telling us who they won't go to the dance with in the national interest, it will soon come time to tell us who they would be willing to go with if FF keep steady on their no SF stance.

Their self proclaimed desire for stable governance will come into conflict with their instinct to cut and run because it would be embarrassing to be a junior partner to FF.

I'll revisit this thread if and when that drama plays out, and I'll bring enough popcorn for everybody.

So you are admitting in advance that Mary-Lou doesn't have the political nous and the diplomatic and negotiating skills to persuade enough of the other 125 TDs in the Dail to govern with her so that Fine Gael are not needed?

That is some defeatist talk already.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The maths are there for a government.
    They sure are. FF, SF & the Greens would have a large Dail majority.

So why are SF trying to form a government without FF?

That's right, party tactics and jockeying.

• Advertisement

So you are admitting in advance that Mary-Lou doesn't have the political nous and the diplomatic and negotiating skills to persuade enough of the other 125 TDs in the Dail to govern with her so that Fine Gael are not needed?

That is some defeatist talk already.

The pot of shit is further agitated just now, it seems Brendan Howlin has stepped down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement